Earl Thomas expected to report week 1

rjdriver

Reaction score
Here’s something I don’t understand. While many of us are talking about the potential of Earl disrupting the team, it seems no one realizes how our incredibly young and inexperienced defensive backfield desperately needs an on field mentor like Earl.
We have a brand new secondary that has the opportunity to be led by the BEST safety in the NFL. Earl’s presence would allow them to have more freedom to learn risk assessment, take chances and adjust to the NFL game. Feeling comfortable and confident is paramount to early and enduring success in this league. Earl on the field is like getting free upgrade to your CB’s and SS. That should be considered on your ROI.

Even if we got nothing for Earl, but he allowed our secondary to mold into players they wouldn’t have been otherwise, it would have been worth it to have him back. Of course, it’s impossible to quantify these intangibles.

I fully understand the frustration of most of us. Most of the posters who are adamant about trading him at any price are the ones I respect most. Earl made some di?k moves I wish he hadn’t but here are the facts..

1. Earl is one of the top ten players (I think top five) to ever wear a Seahawks uniform.
2. He plays with ferocious intensity and I have never seen him take a play off. Watch his first game back from the broken leg, he is flying around with reckless abandon while most would have a natural reluctance.
3. If you look at our draft pick success recently, how good is a second or even first round pick? I’d rather have Earl showing our youngsters how to play.
4. He has shown little to no evidence of slowing down or being well past his prime.

Now if Earl doesn’t bring everything he has in a Seahawks uniform, then I agree with the consensus that he must go. Until then, I recommend that you catch as many Seahawks games as you can while he is here , because you don’t often get a chance to see the absolute best at his position play in a Seahawks uniform.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
StoneCold":1ka0is55 said:
What are the chances, now that Earl is in camp, they sign him?

A good chance if Earl wants to lower his crazy extension demands.

If not? 0%

Earl's one of the most prideful emotional players in the entire league, so I'm not holding my breath that he's all of a sudden going to come to his senses and be reasonable with what he wants now that he knows the safety market is at rock bottom. He thinks he's special and worthy of what Eric Berry got (40M guaranteed).

btw, Eric Berry's ruptured achilles isn't healing very well, and he's going to miss the opener. So if your John and Pete, it only reinforces why you don't give Earl that much money.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I think Clayton is wrong about this. I think Seattle plans on franchising him for a year or 2, otherwise they would have taken the 2nd rounder from *allas.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
kf3339":3h43jwgk said:
hawknation2018":3h43jwgk said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/1037539739719557120[/tweet]

haha

What a stupid statement on his agent's part. I mean come on. Does he really think us fans are really that dumb? :pukeface:

His agent has said impossibly stupid stuff throughout. Guy definitely lives in his own world.

cymatica

Reaction score
Funny hearing him say he's disrespected by the Seahawks, when he disrespected the Seahawks last year in the Dallas game

mrt144

Reaction score
Fade":l6ibtmjj said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/1037539739719557120[/tweet]
iu

Perfect response! :lol:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
cymatica":3ezeny9b said:
Funny hearing him say he's disrespected by the Seahawks, when he disrespected the Seahawks last year in the Dallas game

C'mon dude, that was "Just Earl being Earl!"

Yes, definitely a double standard when it comes to athletes feeling disrespected and butthurt over perceived lack of loyalty and respect................you know, for them making more than all of us can make over our entire lifetimes combined and being treated like gods on and off the field.

WHY GOD WHY!!!???

brimsalabim

Reaction score
rjdriver":l5381olr said:
Here’s something I don’t understand. While many of us are talking about the potential of Earl disrupting the team, it seems no one realizes how our incredibly young and inexperienced defensive backfield desperately needs an on field mentor like Earl.
We have a brand new secondary that has the opportunity to be led by the BEST safety in the NFL. Earl’s presence would allow them to have more freedom to learn risk assessment, take chances and adjust to the NFL game. Feeling comfortable and confident is paramount to early and enduring success in this league. Earl on the field is like getting free upgrade to your CB’s and SS. That should be considered on your ROI.

Even if we got nothing for Earl, but he allowed our secondary to mold into players they wouldn’t have been otherwise, it would have been worth it to have him back. Of course, it’s impossible to quantify these intangibles.

I fully understand the frustration of most of us. Most of the posters who are adamant about trading him at any price are the ones I respect most. Earl made some di?k moves I wish he hadn’t but here are the facts..

1. Earl is one of the top ten players (I think top five) to ever wear a Seahawks uniform.
2. He plays with ferocious intensity and I have never seen him take a play off. Watch his first game back from the broken leg, he is flying around with reckless abandon while most would have a natural reluctance.
3. If you look at our draft pick success recently, how good is a second or even first round pick? I’d rather have Earl showing our youngsters how to play.
4. He has shown little to no evidence of slowing down or being well past his prime.

Now if Earl doesn’t bring everything he has in a Seahawks uniform, then I agree with the consensus that he must go. Until then, I recommend that you catch as many Seahawks games as you can while he is here , because you don’t often get a chance to see the absolute best at his position play in a Seahawks uniform.

So...to paraphrase... Do it for the children????

James in PA

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3qzhzuyc said:
I think Clayton is wrong about this. I think Seattle plans on franchising him for a year or 2, otherwise they would have taken the 2nd rounder from *allas.
I disagree with him too. He was saying how Earl returning actually “further opens the door” for a trade. I didn’t quite understand his logic. I *think* he was saying now that Dallas has shown serious interest, Seattle knows they can probably squeeze more out of them. And if Pete gets any sense from Earl that he is not “all in,” he will pull the trigger on a trade. He failed to mention the week 3 matchup against Dallas. To me, that is the most intriguing part of this. Is Seattle trying to milk more out of Dallas AND stall until after that game? Or are the talks with Dallas truly over? I think the latter. Time will tell if Clayton is right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rcaido

Reaction score
CAnt wait until Earl starts playing and people remember how great and important player he is to the team. Then all the butthurt fans can shut their mouth about trading or no longer retire his jersey....People negotiate all the time about their pay in their jobs. Teachers goes on strike. Earl reported before the regular season unlike Kam. Holdout is over, everyone move on.

cymatica

Reaction score
rcaido":3evmsj8p said:
CAnt wait until Earl starts playing and people remember how great and important player he is to the team. Then all the butthurt fans can shut their mouth about trading or no longer retire his jersey....People negotiate all the time about their pay in their jobs. Teachers goes on strike. Earl reported before the regular season unlike Kam. Holdout is over, everyone move on.

Most people don't go to another company, while in uniform and on the clock, and ask them to hire you.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
ivotuk":7f8ogqf5 said:
2nd round pick was BS per John Clayton. He talked to someone in Dallas, "It's not true."
Like I said upthread the 2nd pick was either BS, are they offered after Seattle said they’d only take a 1st plus knowing Seattle was going to turn it down so they can say to their angry fanbase “see we tried, we offered a 2nd and they said no”.

I don’t think Seattle ever wavered much from their original 1st and 3rd. All of the “a trade is iminenent” and “Seattle’s willing to take a 3rd or 2nd” was coming from Crazy Uncle Jerruh’s media machine down there. I seriously doubt a trade was ever close and the *allas sportsmedia played that fanbase for fools.

Most trades the Hawks are involved with we don’t know about until they happen. Seattle, unlike *allas, holds their cards pretty close to the vest.

JGreen79

Reaction score
ZorntoLargent":39shcmza said:
rcaido":39shcmza said:
So he doesn't miss any games & you guys still hating on Thomas. This is awesome news, playoffs here we come! I knew he wouldn't miss any games. Guy lives for football, its in his blood. HOpefully he goes injury free and we resign him for the remainder of his career!

It's awesome news that he hasn't practiced with his team?
And may be rusty with no practice and no pre season games?

No HOF caliber player would ever do that right? The defense is still miles better with a rusty Earl instead of a raw Thompson.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Welcome back Earl.
It's unfortunate that Dallas thinks you're only worth a 3rd rounder and we believe you're worth a First.
P.S. Can you find it in your heart to play 100% with these young and talented players now that they put good stuff on film against a contender like the vikings.