Earl Thomas expected to report week 1

James in PA

Reaction score
John Clayton said on his podcast today that despite these latest developments, it’s his opinion that Earl still gets traded to Dallas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

suppaball

Reaction score
LargentFan":tt14n0bh said:
Sports Hernia":tt14n0bh said:
Walter Jones missed training camp and the preseason most of his career.
He turned out all right. 8)
Yeah, but Walter Jones was a REALLY good player who knew the scheme and kept himself in tip-top shape and was always ready to play.
And Earl doesn’t? I for one am happy he is back he IS the BEST FS of his generation. So how does him being back hurt?
If he wants a long term contact with big $$$$ then he plays his ass off, and as a team the hawks benifit. So he leaves with no comp in a year, we get his best now in a show me now league. Tell
me how that does not help us in the present. Besides who’s to say he doesn’t kill himself tryin to get that big deal and this is his last good season.

Fade

Reaction score
sc85sis":31i9mf6q said:
John is the GM and handles the contracts, not Pete. Pete has final say over personnel, but he doesn’t handle that stuff.
Schneider can't tell Pete whether or not he is going to franchise a guy. Pete has to sign off on it. Right.

The 4 year 2nd contracts are a Pete Carroll directive to keep them always competing, instead of the typical 6 yr 2nd contract deals you see superstar players generally sign. It is his philosophy. The cap guy is working along with Schneider for the exact numbers, but Pete is in charge and running this program from the top down.

Schneider is not operating in his own little world. Pete is making sure JS is doing it how he wants it done. Pete wants 4 year contracts.

kf3339

Reaction score
hawknation2018":322g63fb said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/1037539739719557120[/tweet]

haha

What a stupid statement on his agent's part. I mean come on. Does he really think us fans are really that dumb? :pukeface:

AgentDib

Reaction score
As far as I've heard, Earl also didn't rob any banks or push any old ladies out in front of traffic today.

Fade

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/1037539739719557120[/tweet]
iu

Vesuve

Reaction score
The video of ET jogging up the Cowboys coach Garret, putting his arm around him, and then walking into the cowboys locker room in his Seahawks uniform, while still under a very good contract makes it seem he's gone off the rails.

Yes, he's a top player on our team - but I'd like to see him eat some crow on the field this year.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
To all those saying he will be a distraction, I ask how? Do you believe that he will lead a mutiny from within? Maybe try to get guys to not play hard? Or maybe you mean he will whine about not getting paid? Well, how many of you work with whiny people, and how does that keep you from doing your job?

The coaches and players are "ecstatic" he is back. Pete is talking about possibly extending him. I doubt they lose games because Earl is a "distraction."

Popeyejones

Reaction score
As has been said, franchising him (even for the next two years after this one) is something the Seahawks COULD do, but I can't imagine they'd be short-sighted enough to actually to do that.

Earl has been incredibly vocal this year, and even his teammates on the Seahawks (e.g. Wagner) have come out to support him. Back in 13 the Seahawks were the team that all the FAs wanted to go to. If they franchise him after this year it's sending a message to every player in the league that Seattle isn't a place they want to go.

So, that means one of two things:

(1) The Seahawks give him the long-term deal he wants sometime this season before FA. It doesn't seem like they're planning on doing that, though, as if they were planning on that, they could have avoided this entire thing and just done it now w/out the bad blood that likely will make keeping him more expensive when he's got FA on the doorstep.

(2) They've decided they'd rather have Earl for one more year than a 2nd round pick. Unless they think they're winning the Super Bowl this year, I don't really get that. You can make the argument that they'll get a 3rd or 4th round comp pick for him two years from now, but you have to deduct that 1 round per year as it projects out into the future.

So the question is would you rather have a second round pick, or Earl Thomas for one year and a pick at the end of the fourth or fifth round?

As you're reloading your team I really don't understand preferring the latter.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":1cj3apio said:
To all those saying he will be a distraction, I ask how? Do you believe that he will lead a mutiny from within? Maybe try to get guys to not play hard? Or maybe you mean he will whine about not getting paid? Well, how many of you work with whiny people, and how does that keep you from doing your job?

The coaches and players are "ecstatic" he is back. Pete is talking about possibly extending him. I doubt they lose games because Earl is a "distraction."

I don't think he will be, but it's not insane to think he could be a locker room distraction if he's still feeling "disrespected" and is negative undermining Pete and the coaches.

Sherman was a distraction last year, so was Bennett.............and now they're both gone.

Again, I don't put Earl into the same "I know it all" category of Sherman and Bennett. So I think we're fine. But it's possible.

kf3339

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3homoeya said:
As has been said, franchising him (even for the next two years after this one) is something the Seahawks COULD do, but I can't imagine they'd be short-sighted enough to actually to do that.

Earl has been incredibly vocal this year, and even his teammates on the Seahawks (e.g. Wagner) have come out to support him. Back in 13 the Seahawks were the team that all the FAs wanted to go to. If they franchise him after this year it's sending a message to every player in the league that Seattle isn't a place they want to go.

So, that means one of two things:

(1) The Seahawks give him the long-term deal he wants sometime this season before FA. It doesn't seem like they're planning on doing that, though, as if they were planning on that, they could have avoided this entire thing and just done it now w/out the bad blood that likely will make keeping him more expensive when he's got FA on the doorstep.

(2) They've decided they'd rather have Earl for one more year than a 2nd round pick. Unless they think they're winning the Super Bowl this year, I don't really get that. You can make the argument that they'll get a 3rd or 4th round comp pick for him two years from now, but you have to deduct that 1 round per year as it projects out into the future.

So the question is would you rather have a second round pick, or Earl Thomas for one year and a pick at the end of the fourth or fifth round?

As you're reloading your team I really don't understand preferring the latter.

There is the 3rd option of playing him this year, franchising him as pressure on other teams to come up with a 2nd of more for this coming draft to trade for him. If he balls out it could even get us a 1st round pick. Who knows?

You make it sound like franchising is a dirty word and it will somehow change the message of how Seattle treats its players. I seriously doubt most of those players aren't aware that it was ET that made the first move going to their coach and locker room after a game with the now infamous words. I just don't see it that way.

Cartire

Reaction score
Fade":21zjdpfx said:
Tical21":21zjdpfx said:
We'll still get a 3rd round comp pick.

If Earl walks they will likely get nothing. Because Seattle will likely turnaround and sign Free Agents offsetting comp pick compensation. They just lost Jimmy Graham & Sheldon Richardson and got nothing for them comp pick wise.

Comp picks haven't been calculated yet. We will without a doubt get comp picks for them. We didnt sign any big free agents to off-set them.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
I'm not mad at Earl Thomas. I hope he plays really well this year.

Reaction score
Cartire":nzzu03lf said:
Fade":nzzu03lf said:
Tical21":nzzu03lf said:

If Earl walks they will likely get nothing. Because Seattle will likely turnaround and sign Free Agents offsetting comp pick compensation. They just lost Jimmy Graham & Sheldon Richardson and got nothing for them comp pick wise.

Comp picks haven't been calculated yet. We will without a doubt get comp picks for them. We didnt sign any big free agents to off-set them.

@Cartire

They actually can be estimated pretty damn closely. Right now Seahawks aren't getting jack and it's very unlikely they will get anything as it stands.

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-dra ... ion-chart/

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Cartire":38xonrz2 said:
Fade":38xonrz2 said:
Tical21":38xonrz2 said:

Comp picks are NOT guaranteed. They are calculated on lost FA vs signed FA. It’s why no comp picks were gained even though the team lost Graham, Richardson, and Richardson to fairly large contracts. The signings of Mingo, Fluker, Janikowski, while they appear to be lesser players than what was lost, the contract numbers are what comp picks are determined by.

If the team lets ET walk, a 3rd round pick could come the Seahawks way...in the 2020 draft...if they don’t spend money on bringing in any other Free agents.

Essentially we will without a doubt maybe get something for him or nothing.

StoneCold

Reaction score
What are the chances, now that Earl is in camp, they sign him?

Cyrus12

Reaction score
James in PA":1lq5eafi said:
John Clayton said on his podcast today that despite these latest developments, it’s his opinion that Earl still gets traded to Dallas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Let's hope so. Another 2nd rd pick would be great. Dallas is going to stink this year which would make it a high pick.