Earl Thomas expected to report week 1

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Don't want this guy on our team, simply because I think he'll be a distraction going forward. There has been a lot of drama surrounding Earl the last few years. He may be one of our best players, but we also need to look at team chemistry. Last year everyone was predicting a SuperBowl for Seattle. We had a good roster on paper but injuries started happening. Injuries were the main thing everyone talks about, but people forget to mention locker room chemistry and managing the locker room.

Most of the players on the Seahawks looked to be coasting last season. Undisciplined football, lack of gap integrity, Richardson (the DT) even said I just do whatever I want on the field. On offense Jimmy Graham looked checked out, he only came to play at the goal line. There was a lack of effort, especially in the second half of the season that was reminiscent of the Jim Mora Seahawks. That to me is concerning. I don't think Pete Carroll is a good locker room manager. He's always had to have some kind of enforcer like Quinn, or even Ken Norton Jr which is why I think he is back on the team. This is also why we have Schottenheimer in my opinion. I think he is an awful OC, but one thing good about Schotty is he runs a tight ship.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
rcaido":23wd7v8l said:
ZorntoLargent":23wd7v8l said:
rcaido":23wd7v8l said:
So he doesn't miss any games & you guys still hating on Thomas. This is awesome news, playoffs here we come! I knew he wouldn't miss any games. Guy lives for football, its in his blood. HOpefully he goes injury free and we resign him for the remainder of his career!

It's awesome news that he hasn't practiced with his team?
And may be rusty with no practice and no pre season games?

Seriously, its awesome because we have a pro bowl player back. Plenty of veterans miss pre-season all the time. i rather have starters barely play to avoid injury in a meaningless game. Only people who is on the bubble or trying to win a starting spot cares about it. Earl is veteran he knows what he's been doing and if you seen his twitter he is an amazing shape right now. Stop being butthurt
Walter Jones missed training camp and the preseason most of his career.
He turned out all right. 8)

toffee

Reaction score
hawknation2018":3ktj0v5o said:
uncle fester":3ktj0v5o said:
Good to hear he's back. I hope folks can get over the silliness of the last few weeks and cheer him on. He's not the first ever Seahawk holdout.

Forgiveness is a strength.

So true! All 12s must forgive once Earl beg for forgiveness. He beg, we give.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

DomeHawk

Sports Hernia":jvpctg19 said:
DomeHawk":jvpctg19 said:
So, I am assuming that if he plays out his final year and there is no extension we could franchise him next year?

Probably not something you want to do with it causing hard feelings but it's doable?
Yes, they can franchise him at a decent rate for 2 years, the 3rd year gets real expensive.

That sounds perfect to me, risk management.

LargentFan

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2vtemvvy said:
Yeah, but Walter Jones was a REALLY good player who knew the scheme and kept himself in tip-top shape and was always ready to play.

Rocket

Reaction score
LargentFan":3u91hx5v said:
Sports Hernia":3u91hx5v said:
Yeah, but Walter Jones was a REALLY good player who knew the scheme and kept himself in tip-top shape and was always ready to play.

1) Earl is pretty REAL good too.
2) Earl seems to be in tip-top shape.
3) Earl can probably pick up scheme changes... he (Norton) coached here.

I believe Earl will get an extension and play out in Seattle.

Fade

Reaction score
Scorpion05":1lzw2ubk said:
Franchising him would be the cold, business move. Although, I think that would be a dumb move by Schneider.

Pete Carroll has final say on roster moves. It would be a Pete Carroll decision, not Schneider.

Tical21":1lzw2ubk said:
We'll still get a 3rd round comp pick.

If Earl walks they will likely get nothing. Because Seattle will likely turnaround and sign Free Agents offsetting comp pick compensation. They just lost Jimmy Graham & Sheldon Richardson and got nothing for them comp pick wise.

Coug_Hawk08":1lzw2ubk said:
It’s definitely possible that we still trade him, maybe after the cowboys game? He can just go to their lockeroom and stay there this time.

Pete Carroll is being weird. He is asking for the moon in terms of compensation, and yet doesn't want to extend him. I don't know if they can trade him due to the asking price. Teams will just back off and wait for the off-season to sign him outright.

hawknation2018":1lzw2ubk said:
The only reason to turn down a 2nd round pick is if they plan to have Earl Thomas for multiple seasons.

Pete Carroll said as much today, that they would like to keep Thomas for the rest of his career.

I think they would probably need to exercise the franchise tag option, assuming they can’t get an extension done by that time. Then that (franchise tag) becomes a placeholder that allows them to negotiate a long-term extension.

Using the non-exclusive tag would allow Thomas to negotiate with other teams, so that he and his agent gain a more realistic appraisal of his market value at this point in his career.

Pete is just being Pete here. Realistically Earl isn't signing on that dotted line unless he gets what he believes he is fully worth. Even then he might want to still go to UFA see if he can get more. Earl has made this personal, and feels like he has been disrespected.

AgentDib":1lzw2ubk said:
There's a disconnect between the actual market for safeties and what Thomas thinks he is worth. The non-exclusive tag has been working out pretty well lately for teams and players.
Definetely true. The Safety market has been devalued. Earl doesn't want to accept it.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
If there was an offer on the table of a 2nd or 3rd round pick and they didn't take it then I question the reason why...He is going to be a distraction all year long. I hope Hill is listed higher on the depth chart regardless of the talent. Screw Earl...

LargentFan

Reaction score
Rocket":219u1cyt said:
LargentFan":219u1cyt said:
Sports Hernia":219u1cyt said:

Well I'll be damned. What a shocking coincidence that the three things I mentioned when describing one of the greatest Seahawks of all time happen to describe the player so many people are ready to write off. Weird!

chris98251

Reaction score
In physical shape and football shape are not the same, holding out for a first is smart, we have all season to wait, if the Cowboys lose yet another safety the desperation falls into the Dallas court, if not we try to resign, get a year out of him, franchise him or get a third rounder, we win, if he becomes a disruption it won't matter because he has been all off season as it is and they can still wait to see who bites.

D

DomeHawk

chris98251":k1uc0j2w said:
In physical shape and football shape are not the same, holding out for a first is smart, we have all season to wait, if the Cowboys lose yet another safety the desperation falls into the Dallas court, if not we try to resign, get a year out of him, franchise him or get a third rounder, we win, if he becomes a disruption it won't matter because he has been all off season as it is and they can still wait to see who bites.

I agree, don't blink. All-pro talent deserves a 1st, didn't Oakland just get two?

King Dog

Reaction score
Honestly, with Earl back and if Dion Jordan can play like he did for those 4 games last year (lol) we might be ok on D.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Big Walt didn’t play for “ Always ComPete”. I’m happy to have Earl back but it sends a mixed message if he is just handed his starting position back without having to earn it doesn’t it?

getnasty

Reaction score
brimsalabim":jn7wfe9k said:
Big Walt didn’t play for “ Always ComPete”. I’m happy to have Earl back but it sends a mixed message if he is just handed his starting position back without having to earn it doesn’t it?

I'm pretty sure Earl has earned it and if you ask every player on that team who they want starting week 1 including Delano Hill they'd say Earl.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Fade":3d4cbyeh said:
TwistedHusky":3d4cbyeh said:
They would just pee away the $8M cap savings on barely average players at other positions Fade.

The truth of the matter is this team was great because its players were great. Period.

If anything, the coaching staff underperformed given the talent they were provided (see Carroll vs Holmgren thread for a list of arguments on that from other posters or maybe even yourself).

When they get rid of a great player, they haven't shown the ability to replace that player with near the talent or ability. All that happens is we get weaker at that position and more average overall as we lose our gamechangers.

So while the strategy of replacing great players as they age and lose effectiveness is valid, it only works if you can replace them with anything near the effectiveness or at least make up for the lack of effectiveness over time.

We don't do this well. So it makes no sense not to pay your best performers if you are just going to bring in JAGs that won't matter but for the impact on the salary cap.

I suppose you can make the argument you have to get rid of some of these to keep Wilson. But you don't have to do it now.

Unless there is any reason to expect this team can put anyone else on the roster to replace what it loses - it makes no sense to remove your best players.

I am well aware of Pete Carroll's nefarious spending in free agency. It's been a big reason why the team has underperformed these last 3 yrs, along with CaBevell. It was like Pete Carroll was trying to sabotage the team, he wasn't of course, just him being incredibly stupid.

Pete only flushed money down the toilet this year on Ed Dickson. So there's that.

Anyways that $8M in cap savings would just go to the Russell Wilson & Bobby Wagner fund, which is fine. They are going to need a lot of money to extend them. In a rolling cap every little bit helps.

Pete Carroll is dumb for wanting to do these 4 year extensions with his Superstar players. It just creates more problems, that could easily be avoided if they did 6 yr extensions, which would take them through their Prime. Now they have to make tough decisions because of these shorter deals. In ET now, and Bobby Wagner next off-season.

Another fail for Pete. Do 6 year 2nd contracts, not 4 year 2nd contracts. Especially if you're weary about doing a 3rd contract. Just dumb.
John is the GM and handles the contracts, not Pete. Pete has final say over personnel, but he doesn’t handle that stuff.

getnasty

Reaction score
I felt like his IG post was more directed towards fans bad mouthing him then anything but it certainly could gave been the Seahawks too. Glad to have the dude back in a contract year, not that he's ever needed incentives to play hard.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Rocket":1jnpbg4g said:
LargentFan":1jnpbg4g said:
Sports Hernia":1jnpbg4g said:

So. Much. This. ....:though I think he will be franchised.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/1037539739719557120[/tweet]

haha