Earl Thomas expected to report week 1

Schadie001

Reaction score
Earl should not be looking at Donald or Mack as examples as he is not a dominate interior DL which is a completely different market from a safety. What does not bode well for him is that there are still good veteran safeties available and teams just aren't willing to give up the farm to come get him at his age. Seattle holds all the cards in this one and is in great position right now. Earl sits and loses millions (approx. $532000 a week not counting almost 2 million in fines for missing the time he already has) or he reports and plays. Seattle has a track record of not caving to hold-outs especially when they have youngsters waiting in the wings to replace him. He'll be here before week 7, if not he's owned for another year.

Seymour

Reaction score

Seymour

Reaction score
Just heard on 950 that Thomas is now saying he will report to camp today....FOLD indeed!!!

DJrmb

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson/status/1037373633289768960[/tweet]

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
If this is true, good to see he's going to do the right thing. Play well all season, stay healthy and the team will take care of you.

Beren

Reaction score
Dallas upped to a 2nd then bowed out.

Seattle wiping away Earl's fines.

Focus all on Denver now.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Earl Thomas via Instagram:

earlI worked my whole life for this..... I’ve never let me teammates, city or fans down as long as I’ve lived and don’t plan on starting this weekend. With that being said, the disrespect has been well noted and will not be forgotten. Father Time may have an undefeated record but best believe I plan on taking him into triple overtime when it comes to my career.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BnWcoGvla9g/?hl=en&taken-by=earl

Looks like he's confirming he's coming in (but won't play obviously with missing so much practice).

Seymour

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1037366276161724417[/tweet]

Could be Earl is reporting for a new deal.....somewhere else??!!

James in PA

Reaction score
Finally some real news. Dallas upped their offer to a 2nd. Seattle wanted more. Good for them holding their ground! Earl to report now! D just got a lot better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scutterhawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":ipzpc2t9 said:
There is a pretty good opportunity for Earl here, whether you like it or not.

If the secondary turns into a dumpster fire, and it looks pretty pedestrian right now, then if Earl comes back later - and the secondary suddenly gets better? Earl gets the credit.

Not saying it will happen because we have seen Earl struggle without Kam in there before. But if it does, it will help Earl make a strong case to other teams he is worth it. Meanwhile, Earl gets to heal up from nagging injuries that most starting players have to deal with.

Either way, Earl's loyalty has to be to himself. Being loyal to the team is stupid, unless you are a QB. The NFL has proven this repeatedly. Expecting him to be loyal to the team is ridiculous.

The LOB was one of the primary reasons we got to the SB and won it. Earl was a pivotal part of that. So I don't care what he does. He earned the right since he delivered the SB to us.

I do find it funny that people complain about paying Kam or Earl, when they watch our FO squander big dollars on garbage FAs that rarely work out. If we just don't make dumb decisions to bring in Joekel and Lacey (among other dumpster fire FAs), then paying your defensive players becomes much more tenable.

Not now, of course, but we have a lot of years of missed opportunities that we gave up to keep that stance. Meanwhile, writing big checks to Harvin, Graham, etc.

I don't see that Thomas can get what he is asking from us. But I also know after years of propping this team up with a defense offsetting a garbage offense - he earned the right to try. I am Team ET all the way.

Loyalty, 'Schmoyalty', Pride (like greed) CAN be a flaw in one's character.
Earls word is punky, he's reneging on the contract that HE SIGNED...Contracts are AGREEMENTS, Seattle has held up to their end of it.
You're NOT better than the team, OH AND, apparently the Dallas Cowboys (by not offering up anything better than a 3rd round Draft pick for your services) don't think you're worth what you think you are either.
Oh and, Earl didn't "Deliver" a Super Bowl all by himself as you put it, AND, I think Marshawn Lynch & Russell Wilson might have an issue with your "Garbage Offense" statement :pukeface:

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Keep him out of game 1 then.

Bring him in, let him practice and then maybe Game 2 or 3.

We need him, if true. Guys that hold out get injured all the time because they are not conditioned enough for NFL contact.

I would rather bring him along slowly and have him for the tail end of the year than rush him in Game 1 or 2 and find him injured at the halfway point.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":13u72e9u said:
SoulfishHawk":13u72e9u said:
You call it Loyal to himself. I call it being money hungry and selfish.

It is selfish!! He was paid a record setting contract and cashed in, and because his contract was front loaded he is now whining about nothing but greed!!! Here are the facts...

Seahawks make Earl Thomas NFL's highest-paid safety

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...awks-make-earl-thomas-nfls-highestpaid-safety

Of course it's selfish, just as your salary is.

Not sure why people think sports is the only industry where players need to be loyal to their team.

I don't think what Earl did was smart, but I don't blame any player for trying to get more money.........especially in a career like pro sports where their window of opportunity to maximize earnings is VERY small.

Both sides are selfish and protecting their interest and success. So we should never use that word just to describe the player.

Earl's reporting, which is the right thing to do. Play your ass off, have a healthy All Pro type season, and then you can once again try to maximize your next contract, here or elsewhere.

Chapow

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":34aj7vzu said:
If this is true, good to see he's going to do the right thing. Play well all season, stay healthy and the team will take care of you.

Agreed. If he shows up and plays like the all pro he is, he will get rewarded. Whether that is in Seattle or somewhere else remains to be seen. Of course, there's risk to that. If he gets injured his chances of another big contract take a huge hit. Which was kinda the whole point of the hold out in the first place.

Anyway, glad this appears to be behind us and looking forward to seeing Earl out there on the field. Definitely feeling better about our D with Earl out there.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2ub69068 said:
Keep him out of game 1 then.

Bring him in, let him practice and then maybe Game 2 or 3.

We need him, if true. Guys that hold out get injured all the time because they are not conditioned enough for NFL contact.

I would rather bring him along slowly and have him for the tail end of the year than rush him in Game 1 or 2 and find him injured at the halfway point.

My guess is they'll dress Earl and have him available but wait until next week when he can get a full week of practice before letting him play.

IMO letting him start in Denver is a mistake, and will probably lead to an injury............even if he's in amazing shape, he's not in football shape.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
So Earl is coming in but still "disrespected"

I imagine some sort of extension is worked out once he pads up

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
So.... Earl will report before Sunday. I’m guessing all the tough talk here on .net is what convinced him to come back.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And Twisted is right, it's 4 days before the opener. Players coming off a hold out often pull a hammy or get injured. It's very common. Working out on your own is one thing, but football shape and running around is totally different.
IF he doesn't play on Sunday, I won't have a problem with it at all. In fact, it's probably a smart move in the long run.

Latest posts