Earl Thomas expected to report week 1

Fade

Reaction score
Should've taken the 2nd rdr & $8M in cap space savings.

Now it's a dice roll. He has to stay healthy for the 1st half of the season, play well, and then you may be able to flip him for a 2nd rdr, and some chump change picks.

Pete Carroll is being weird. He doesn't want to really trade him, but also doesn't want to sign ET an extension. Stop being weird Pete.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
That's IF the report is accurate. Just because it's on Twitter, doesn't mean it's fact. None of us truly know what they are thinking behind closed doors. NONE of us.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1kr8ogt6 said:
A full season of Earl with a 3rd round comp coming back if he leaves next year > Trading him now for a 2nd. That's IF he stays healthy and is his normal dominant self on the field. No guarantee that a 2nd will even come CLOSE to what he brings to the table on the field.
Only relevant if Earl Thomas = superbowl, which js a straight jacket thought.

If no superbowl then take the better asset and get Thomson and/or Luani some experience for a revamped follow up year where 30 mil will go to Russ anyway. That 3rd comp is not guaranteed.

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1j1ws51s said:
A full season of Earl with a 3rd round comp coming back if he leaves next year > Trading him now for a 2nd. That's IF he stays healthy and is his normal dominant self on the field. No guarantee that a 2nd will even come CLOSE to what he brings to the table on the field.

We will get no comp pick if we are active in FA next season and all indications are we will be big players. Look at our cap space (2019 $56M) and players under contract and you will see that we will not get squat for Earl if he walks and we make a few FA moves next season.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":18v0ck6e said:

3rd round comp is not a given, it would also be awarded for the 2020 draft. I think it is generally accepted to knock a round in terms of immediate value. So we have a chance at a 4th (value) vs a guaranteed 2nd now for the upcoming draft.

Given the situation, I never really thought him playing one final year here was going to actually play out. So much bad blood, it felt like if we ever received a reasonable offer we would jump at it.

Earl is not worth a first rounder, no way. 2nd was fair and we passed.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Too bad...he will be a cancer...should of taken whatever was offered and said see you later. His Jersey will remain next to the Harvin one in my closet.

253hawk

Reaction score
vin.couve12":531q123r said:
The disrespect won't be forgotten?

Yeah...

"At this moment, he's not battling with us, so I can't really tell you what [his absence means]. It would be great if he comes back, but we're gonna keep on truckin' ... You never know what's going on with someone in that situation. He's in a whole other place right now. He's handling his situation, [rather than] helping us. I try not to deal with that energy." --Earl Thomas on Kam Chancellors holdout.

Seymour

Reaction score
Fade":1pigxedv said:
Should've taken the 2nd rdr & $8M in cap space savings.

Now it's a dice roll. He has to stay healthy for the 1st half of the season, play well, and then you may be able to flip him for a 2nd rdr, and some chump change picks.

Pete Carroll is being weird. He doesn't want to really trade him, but also doesn't want to sign ET an extension. Stop being weird Pete.

Agree 100%.

It's like they are banking on a team in the hunt being in need and making a better offer. I see no scenario they keep him, tag or otherwise being his message he's sent and Pete knowing his message is lost with him.

Huge gamble that could easily (and likely IMO) backfire.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
They would just pee away the $8M cap savings on barely average players at other positions Fade.

The truth of the matter is this team was great because its players were great. Period.

If anything, the coaching staff underperformed given the talent they were provided (see Carroll vs Holmgren thread for a list of arguments on that from other posters or maybe even yourself).

When they get rid of a great player, they haven't shown the ability to replace that player with near the talent or ability. All that happens is we get weaker at that position and more average overall as we lose our gamechangers.

So while the strategy of replacing great players as they age and lose effectiveness is valid, it only works if you can replace them with anything near the effectiveness or at least make up for the lack of effectiveness over time.

We don't do this well. So it makes no sense not to pay your best performers if you are just going to bring in JAGs that won't matter but for the impact on the salary cap.

I suppose you can make the argument you have to get rid of some of these to keep Wilson. But you don't have to do it now.

Unless there is any reason to expect this team can put anyone else on the roster to replace what it loses - it makes no sense to remove your best players.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
What are the rules for the return of a player on RDNR?

Can the team hold the player out if the player is not ready to play? Is there a return period like a return from IR or PUP where the player is not officially part of the 53 man roster? If not in addition to giving up the reduction in his cap number the team has had to give up a draft pick in trading for Luani by reason of this holdout.

Is the team required to pay a game cheque to a player who has held out but isn't ready to play?

If Thomas is ready to play then he needs to play.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1037420826679631872[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1037383791734472705[/tweet]

jammerhawk

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":1pl7dwg4 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1037422037302562816[/tweet]

While this might be the most logical player to cut, it could be the case that the team will waive OLB- Grace as Thomas' conditioning is unknown and Thompson is on the limp.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
253hawk":3ls9mtml said:
vin.couve12":3ls9mtml said:

Yeah...

"At this moment, he's not battling with us, so I can't really tell you what [his absence means]. It would be great if he comes back, but we're gonna keep on truckin' ... You never know what's going on with someone in that situation. He's in a whole other place right now. He's handling his situation, [rather than] helping us. I try not to deal with that energy." --Earl Thomas on Kam Chancellors holdout.

Maybe at some point, but it ain't the same upon return.

“There was the point there that he (Chancellor) was a million miles away, you know?,” Carroll said. “And then when he came back around, we had a wonderful meeting and he really just made some great statements about where he was going and what I could count on from him and how he had kind of endured it, and it was just really impressive. It was emotional, it was impressive, and he never took a step backwards. What I’m going to say to you is that sometimes, good stuff comes out of this stuff and it’s a hard process and it’s challenging.”

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
It’s definitely possible that we still trade him, maybe after the cowboys game? He can just go to their lockeroom and stay there this time.

Seymour

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":1glxr6vg said:
It’s definitely possible that we still trade him, maybe after the cowboys game? He can just go to their lockeroom and stay there this time.

LOL....good point. Instead of "Come Get Me" he can change his tune to "Please Feed and Shelter Me". :snack:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Exactly, AFTER the Cowboys game.
Big game Sunday, let's go get that W, with or without Earl. I suspect he will play though.

ivotuk

Reaction score
253hawk":19c81h9q said:
vin.couve12":19c81h9q said:

Yeah...

Good point. I copied and pasted my post from the Theory thread:

Remember when Kam Chancellor held out? Earl was saying "Kam! Come back!"

He started talking about how important Kam was to the defense because he lined up the DBs. Earl said "I don't know what to do! I depended on Kam to tell me the defense, where to line up and what to look for."

"Kam studied film and recognized plays and formations."

Maybe he's worried his play will suffer without Kam. I've been trying to figure out why teams aren't jumping at a trade, and maybe they see that Earl relied on Kam and are uncertain about his play without Chancellor as the Quarterback of the defensive backfield?

It will be interesting to see how Earl does if/when he comes back. But I'm afraid he'll get injured. Happens a lot to players that hold out.

And a caller on 710 had a great point about that "2nd rounder" rumor. "Maybe Dallas leaked that to cover themselves so that next year Earl would sign with them and not be mad for them only offering a 3rd."

Seymour

Reaction score
ivotuk":25txq906 said:
253hawk":25txq906 said:
vin.couve12":25txq906 said:

Yeah...

Good point. I copied and pasted my post from the Theory thread:

Remember when Kam Chancellor held out? Earl was saying "Kam! Come back!"

He started talking about how important Kam was to the defense because he lined up the DBs. Earl said "I don't know what to do! I depended on Kam to tell me the defense, where to line up and what to look for."

"Kam studied film and recognized plays and formations."

Maybe he's worried his play will suffer without Kam. I've been trying to figure out why teams aren't jumping at a trade, and maybe they see that Earl relied on Kam and are uncertain about his play without Chancellor as the Quarterback of the defensive backfield?

It will be interesting to see how Earl does if/when he comes back. But I'm afraid he'll get injured. Happens a lot to players that hold out.

And a caller on 710 had a great point about that "2nd rounder" rumor. "Maybe Dallas leaked that to cover themselves so that next year Earl would sign with them and not be mad for them only offering a 3rd."

Not a great point at all IMO. His agent will know there was no offer and the disrespect would ultimately not be changed. That theory is full of holes.