Earl Thomas expected to report week 1

AgentDib

Reaction score
jammerhawk":35c1plwl said:
While this might be the most logical player to cut, it could be the case that the team will waive OLB- Grace as Thomas' conditioning is unknown and Thompson is on the limp.
I have no problem with Hill but he hasn't done a thing here and Earl is a HOF safety. It would take Thomas being in truly awful shape for Delano Hill to look like the more competitive option on Sunday. If Earl is in that bad of shape then we shouldn't be excusing his fines and/or trading him ASAP.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
AgentDib":a6946czm said:
jammerhawk":a6946czm said:
While this might be the most logical player to cut, it could be the case that the team will waive OLB- Grace as Thomas' conditioning is unknown and Thompson is on the limp.
I have no problem with Hill but he hasn't done a thing here and Earl is a HOF safety. It would take Thomas being in truly awful shape for Delano Hill to look like the more competitive option on Sunday. If Earl is in that bad of shape then we shouldn't be excusing his fines and/or trading him ASAP.

I think he's saying you keep Hill on the roster in case one more of them gets injured. If Thompson is already hurt, we cut Hill and then ET gets hurt, you have two safeties on your roster. It would be a pretty bad situation to be in.

kf3339

Reaction score
Glad he came in before the first game of the season. Not hard to see why.....$$$$$$$$$$.

The only question is would I have taken the improved Dallas offer of a second now? Probably not. Why?

Dallas had opportunity to make that offer before the draft. They screwed up and tried to low ball us with a third.
They still played that game after the draft and are only now raising their offer. Why should the team help them out now?

I would do exactly what the team seems to have decided myself. Make them up their offer to a second and something else substantial. I don't know what that is...... a quality player or a mid round pick in addition to a 2nd. Possibly even a pick in 2020 (3rd?). Something like that.

I also would wait until after we play them in three weeks. No reason to let him be on their team against us. There is a risk that they implode early and do nothing, but we are no worse off if that happens. In addition there are other teams who may up the stakes and offer more. We also may just keep him this year and franchise him this coming off season. Hard to say right now.

But what I will say is ET did this to himself and the team called his bluff. Good for them.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Yep. Just hit me that this is literally pointless. We have a frickin foosball game to watch this weekend. I'm out. Y'all have fun.

Fade

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1vzdw83v said:
They would just pee away the $8M cap savings on barely average players at other positions Fade.

The truth of the matter is this team was great because its players were great. Period.

If anything, the coaching staff underperformed given the talent they were provided (see Carroll vs Holmgren thread for a list of arguments on that from other posters or maybe even yourself).

When they get rid of a great player, they haven't shown the ability to replace that player with near the talent or ability. All that happens is we get weaker at that position and more average overall as we lose our gamechangers.

So while the strategy of replacing great players as they age and lose effectiveness is valid, it only works if you can replace them with anything near the effectiveness or at least make up for the lack of effectiveness over time.

We don't do this well. So it makes no sense not to pay your best performers if you are just going to bring in JAGs that won't matter but for the impact on the salary cap.

I suppose you can make the argument you have to get rid of some of these to keep Wilson. But you don't have to do it now.

Unless there is any reason to expect this team can put anyone else on the roster to replace what it loses - it makes no sense to remove your best players.

I am well aware of Pete Carroll's nefarious spending in free agency. It's been a big reason why the team has underperformed these last 3 yrs, along with CaBevell. It was like Pete Carroll was trying to sabotage the team, he wasn't of course, just him being incredibly stupid.

Pete only flushed money down the toilet this year on Ed Dickson. So there's that.

Anyways that $8M in cap savings would just go to the Russell Wilson & Bobby Wagner fund, which is fine. They are going to need a lot of money to extend them. In a rolling cap every little bit helps.

Pete Carroll is dumb for wanting to do these 4 year extensions with his Superstar players. It just creates more problems, that could easily be avoided if they did 6 yr extensions, which would take them through their Prime. Now they have to make tough decisions because of these shorter deals. In ET now, and Bobby Wagner next off-season.

Another fail for Pete. Do 6 year 2nd contracts, not 4 year 2nd contracts. Especially if you're weary about doing a 3rd contract. Just dumb.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Where in his IG post does it say he feels disrespected by the Seahawks Organization? He could be reffering to the disrespect shown to him by other teams around the league (Dallas) by willing to only offer, up until only today, a 3rd round pick for his services. :stirthepot:

Wouldn't you want an Earl Thomas with an "I'll show them what I'm worth" mentality playing for your club?

Seymour

Reaction score
Mistashoesta":25ygxx4z said:
Where in his IG post does it say he feels disrespected by the Seahawks Organization? He could be reffering to the disrespect shown to him by other teams around the league (Dallas) by willing to only offer, up until only today, a 3rd round pick for his services. :stirthepot:

Wouldn't you want an Earl Thomas with an "I'll show them what I'm worth" mentality playing for your club?

It doesn't, It is an assumption based on logic. His gripe and dispute was not with the Cowboys or other teams it was with the Seahawks and he's made that clear. For him to throw the disrespect card out on other potential teams that could still sign him would be his dumbest move yet IMO.

rcaido

Reaction score
So he doesn't miss any games & you guys still hating on Thomas. This is awesome news, playoffs here we come! I knew he wouldn't miss any games. Guy lives for football, its in his blood. HOpefully he goes injury free and we resign him for the remainder of his career!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Mistashoesta":3u25bwbs said:

Eh, I'm pretty sure he's talking about the Hawk's unwillingness to give him the extension he wants.

But sorry Earl, you created this mess by telling the Cowboys to come get you AND tipping your hand at the Pro Bowl that you were going to hold out.

Two handicaps to your leverage to bring in as many teams as possible to pursue you in a trade.

You want the monster extension, then go back in a time machine nine months and say "I love Seattle, I hope I can play here forever, but if not I'd love to play for anyone that thinks I'm still the greatest safety in the league."

But no, his ego and immaturity got the better of him, and now he's stuck under the Hawks thumb until THEY decide what to do with him.

AgentDib

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":1lofyr83 said:
I think he's saying you keep Hill on the roster in case one more of them gets injured. If Thompson is already hurt, we cut Hill and then ET gets hurt, you have two safeties on your roster. It would be a pretty bad situation to be in.
Then we bring Hill back up from the practice squad.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Seymour":1hqzm072 said:
It doesn't, It is an assumption based on logic. His gripe and dispute was not with the Cowboys or other teams it was with the Seahawks and he's made that clear. For him to throw the disrespect card out on other potential teams that could still sign him would be his dumbest move yet IMO.

True, but at the end of the day I think words are really only words. I don't think that would necessarily deter any possible future suitors for him. All teams really care about is winning, and they'll pay for him if he is able to show he is worth it. Hell, Owens gave what was probably the biggest "screw you" to an organization by standing center field on the Dallas logo, and still found himself on their roster a few years later. Damore'a Stringfellow ran around beating up 12's back in the day and even he made the team.

All I'm saying is teams care about the product on the field for the most part. All the word play and who said what is really only eaten up by the media and us fans.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Tical21":15tusyb3 said:
Earl disrespected the Hawks by going into the Cowboys locker room and visiting buddies on his favorite NFL team, and made a stupid comment. No question. But the overreaction to it by the media and fan base is miles over the top.

Earl is 29, a HOFer in his prime. Has given every piece of himself every time he has been asked. Hasn't had the kind of injuries that slow a career, and is still lightning fast. That is a player you re-sign. I'm sorry. Not being willing to engage him in contract talks or being willing to trade him to someone that wants him is disrespectful. He's never going to get a big multi-year deal. You're screwing him out of that. However, it is correct. Franchising him the next two years is the correct football move, and the correct business move. Yet, it is still disrespectful to a top-5 player in your franchise's history.
This guy gets it. Great post! :2thumbs:

D

DomeHawk

SoulfishHawk":37wbv950 said:
It's just grown tired, and he's my 2nd favorite player. But he's not above criticism. He's being incredibly selfish, and is leaving his teammates hanging, period. At this point, no need to cater to his needs. Trade him where you get the best offer, not where HE wants to go. And if they don't get an offer they like, then sit out and lose money. Nice leadership you got going there Earl. You're better than this.

Ditto, enuf is enuf.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
AgentDib":1mso9f79 said:
JGfromtheNW":1mso9f79 said:
Then we bring Hill back up from the practice squad.

That's assuming he clears waivers and decides to sign back with us.