espn ranks nfl qbs

Jerhawk

Reaction score
List seems accurate imo.

Wilson is a great player, but he's not a tier 1 QB yet. One day, he'll be there. Which is fine, he's only entering his sixth season. Hopefully he can continue to progress. Unfortunately, his o line may slow down his ability to progress fully

classicaaron

Reaction score
the eyeball tests puts him 3rd in my book. id put him behind Brady and Rodgers. hes the most consistent winner outside of those two and anyone who can pretty much assure at least a divisional game in the playoffs year in and year out is tier 1 to me. so maybe put Roethilisberger in that group as well and that would be it for me. and I love how Russ gets ripped for having a good defense but Brady never does for having a good defense plus the greatest coach of all time. Big Ben also gets credit despite always having a good D, plus the best WR and RB in the game, cant have it both ways people.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Steve2222":79ocpeid said:
I would love to see how well all those QBs performed behind Seattles historically bad OL last year. Could you imagine the damage Russell would do behind the Cowboys and Raiders OLs. He would just be cherry picking all day.

Wilson is no worse than the 5th best QB in the league

I couldn't agree more ^.
Those that say that he benefitted from having a superb RB are purposely trying to sell him short (no pun intended), as he put up a LOT of those accumulated running yards...That's what Russell Wilson ADDS to the Quarterback position, something that NONE of the top 5 on that list can boast.
Hampered with a SUCKY O-Line, NO LYNCH, or hell, not even a decent Run Game, RW has still managed to put up sensational numbers, and lead his team to the playoffs.
Kind of makes ya wonder how ANY of those top 5 would have faired if they'd have had an injury like Wilson sustained last Season eh?
Looking at their choice of top 5 (Other than Brady, & Ryan) , it's a "What Have You Done LATELY"?
With his over the top skillset, Wilson IS one of the TOP FIVE Quarterbacks.

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":6ayibmp3 said:
Winning is the only "stat" that matters.

Except this year and last, living and walking will come in handy. :irishdrinkers:

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
I've never understood why anybody gives these rankings any merit. They mean absolutely nothing, fans get offended when they rank Wilson at 10? Who cares? I don't care if he's ranked 32nd because it doesn't mean a damn thing when he wins us another SB!!!

Rat

Reaction score
SpokaneHawks":1e4yophf said:
I've never understood why anybody gives these rankings any merit. They mean absolutely nothing, fans get offended when they rank Wilson at 10? Who cares? I don't care if he's ranked 32nd because it doesn't mean a damn thing when he wins us another SB!!!

These are composite rankings based on the opinions of scouts, GMs, etc. So, they probably should be given considerably more merit than the weekly garbage put out by guys like Prisco.

No, they don't have any bearing on what happens this season, but it's interesting to see what the guys who evaluate players for a living think.

Seymour

Reaction score
SpokaneHawks":3sewm0i2 said:

Rodney sure used to!!

Giphy

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They don't mean squat, it's more hilarious than anything. Love it, hopefully every list that comes out is even worse.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
gowazzu02":112yifvo said:
So I heard Salk going OFF this morning about this list. Apparently Sando tabs 50 nfl guys, scouts, gm's, personel dudes etc. all anonymously.

And here is his list. http://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_ ... gers#Tier2

It's an insider story, but Salk listed off the players who are ahead of Wilson.

In order

Tier 1
Brady
Rodgers
Roethlisburger
Brees
Ryan

Tier 2
LUCK!
Carr
Rivers
Stafford
Russel Wilson

Discuss.

Pretty accurate list w/possible exception of Roeth who is in decline though if healthy still has the ability to take over a game. Wilson is def. Tier 2 at this point in his career. Question is if he moves up or goes down from here.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I could care less where any sports network ranks our QB.

I'm just glad that he's ours.

sdog1981

Reaction score
The list is not in order. The list is set up saying that every player on the same tier can be interchanged. Wilson is right there waiting for 3 of those tier one guys to retire. Just look at their definition of a tier one QB "A Tier 1 quarterback can carry his team each week. The team wins because of him. Expertly handles pure-pass situations." That is the exact opposite of what Wilson did last season.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Funny, with what he had to work with, he did pretty well. Multiple injuries and a pathetic O-Line. Still won 10 games plus a playoff game. 4K plus yards. We can agree to disagree, and that's what a message board is all about. If this guy isn't a top tier QB, I don't know what is. A bunch of guys who put up a ton of yards and have crap win/loss records and don't win playoff games.
I'll take Russ over most guys on that list. In fact, if Boykin was the QB last year, we are lucky to win 7 games, VERY lucky. This guy is flat out clutch, incredibly under-rated in how well he can pass from the pocket, and we all know what he can do with his legs. It's ok, he'll continue to be one of the best in football for the next 6-10 years, and people will still find reasons to downplay just how good he is.

Anthony!

Reaction score
sdog1981":2i7twupm said:
The list is not in order. The list is set up saying that every player on the same tier can be interchanged. Wilson is right there waiting for 3 of those tier one guys to retire. Just look at their definition of a tier one QB "A Tier 1 quarterback can carry his team each week. The team wins because of him. Expertly handles pure-pass situations." That is the exact opposite of what Wilson did last season.

Not really despite all the injuries do you really think we win or get to the playoffs without RW? Most dont and we won several games because of him. Let me remind you NE went 3-1 without Brady. Luck was out most of last year so how he is even tier 2 makes no sense if it is based just on last year. Obviously, it is not adn if that is the case Rw proved he can do it even in pure passing situation when he led the league in QB the year before. This is just a bunch of scouts, coaches etc who still live in the past and for all we know are not even ones that ever even seen Rw play in person or if they have its been a while. All we do know is the definition of Tier 1 fits Rw but yet he is in Tier 2.

chris98251

Reaction score
Ryan is the only guy there that has a respectable running game and was the MVP last year yet is not ranked behind Brady, most the rest are throw first QB's we have a running game we use as balance, Wilson will not get the respect a pure passing team QB will get. Doesn't matter what his TD to INT ratio is or completion percentage, it won't be high enough to offset a passing team QB.

The way Wilson elevates his status is by winning Super Bowls, there are just too many things against him being in Seattle.

Location, not a prime media market.
Balanced Passing / Running attack.
Not controversial and in the Media a lot nationally.
The NFL has a grudge against us still ( We beat the Golden boy in the Super Bowl badly).
Wilson was suppose to be a failure and he made all the other GM's and coaches look stupid, they can't forget that still.
He's a rushing QB by their definition and that's what comes out of their mouths first.

lobohawk

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3gco7f8h said:
Steve2222":3gco7f8h said:
I would love to see how well all those QBs performed behind Seattles historically bad OL last year. Could you imagine the damage Russell would do behind the Cowboys and Raiders OLs. He would just be cherry picking all day.

I couldn't agree more ^.
Those that say that he benefitted from having a superb RB are purposely trying to sell him short (no pun intended), as he put up a LOT of those accumulated running yards...That's what Russell Wilson ADDS to the Quarterback position, something that NONE of the top 5 on that list can boast.
Hampered with a SUCKY O-Line, NO LYNCH, or hell, not even a decent Run Game, RW has still managed to put up sensational numbers, and lead his team to the playoffs.
Kind of makes ya wonder how ANY of those top 5 would have faired if they'd have had an injury like Wilson sustained last Season eh?
Looking at their choice of top 5 (Other than Brady, & Ryan) , it's a "What Have You Done LATELY"?

The pundits and maybe some of these experts keep referring to the running game and defense giving Wilson things other QBs don't have. This is shallow thinking and a bit of the herd mentality.

Seattle's run game didn't take off until Wilson arrived. It wasn't until he arrived that they were a top 1-3 run team. Some may be attributed to his own running yards, but it also highlights the value his read option gave to Lynch behind a below avg OL. Notice that in 2015 the Hawks still were a top shelf running team, even though Lynch was not available much. Wilson gets hurt and the run game tumbled. Everyone says, "see Lynch is gone", but he was effectively gone the year before. As Cable said, Lynch and Wilson worked like PB & J.

The Hawks have an elite Defense and Wilson does benefit from it. But how does Seattle maintain this level of D in the modern age? Everyone says they can't afford it. Not with a franchise salary QB on the roster. Well, you pay bottom league price on the OL. The proverbial pocket passer depends on at least an above average line to work. The Hawks have been able to lean on Wilson's scrambling to cover the inevitable OL breakdowns. So yeah Wilson benefits from the Defense, but that Defense probably wouldn't exist with most any other QB on the Hawks.

Anthony!

Reaction score
lobohawk":1m2ibk77 said:
scutterhawk":1m2ibk77 said:
Steve2222":1m2ibk77 said:

I couldn't agree more ^.

The pundits and maybe some of these experts keep referring to the running game and defense giving Wilson things other QBs don't have. This is shallow thinking and a bit of the herd mentality.

Seattle's run game didn't take off until Wilson arrived. It wasn't until he arrived that they were a top 1-3 run team. Some may be attributed to his own running yards, but it also highlights the value his read option gave to Lynch behind a below avg OL. Notice that in 2015 the Hawks still were a top shelf running team, even though Lynch was not available much. Wilson gets hurt and the run game tumbled. Everyone says, "see Lynch is gone", but he was effectively gone the year before. As Cable said, Lynch and Wilson worked like PB & J.

The Hawks have an elite Defense and Wilson does benefit from it. But how does Seattle maintain this level of D in the modern age? Everyone says they can't afford it. Not with a franchise salary QB on the roster. Well, you pay bottom league price on the OL. The proverbial pocket passer depends on at least an above average line to work. The Hawks have been able to lean on Wilson's scrambling to cover the inevitable OL breakdowns. So yeah Wilson benefits from the Defense, but that Defense probably wouldn't exist with most any other QB on the Hawks.

agreed and lets add this it is not just about yards in the run game but efficiency. Last year Brayds run game was 15th, Lucks 10th, Rodgers 5th, Wilsons 22nd. The year before Brady, Rothersburger, Rodgers, all had top 15 run games in efficiency. The year before Rodgers, Rothes, Wilson, Brady, all had top 15 run games by efficiency. Also ad id you remove Wilson Rushing from those numbers and add in the QB league Afg we go from top 10(except for last year where we were 22nd) to consistently in the high 20s. One could easily and correctly argue Wilson does more fo rthis teams offense than any other QB.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2rgl03oh said:
Cyrus12":2rgl03oh said:
Would not have Ryan in tier 1...nor Luck in tier 2 as he should be lower. RW suitably ranked.

Ryan was the MVP last year, and sure as hell carved us up pretty good in our playoff game. He belongs in tier 1.

I'm actually OK with the rankings, Russell's doesn't belong in tier one just yet.......he's definitely at the top of the tier 2 QB's for me, but not quite in the same conversation as guys like Ryan, Brady and Rodgers when it comes to the mental understanding of the game.

But he's close, and from what I've seen in the preseason, if Russell can actually stay upright, he's going to be in that tier one next year.
So we rank the QB's based on the previous season?
The year of the 2nd SB where was RW ranked the following year?
Ryan and the Rapist are 2nd tier for me with RW