espn ranks nfl qbs

T-Hawk

Reaction score
I'd like to see which genius voted Russell as Tier 3. Probably someone with the Browns.

Seymour

Reaction score
T-Hawk":1v5wxu1m said:
I'd like to see which genius voted Russell as Tier 3. Probably someone with the Browns.

Prob. some GM or scout from one of the teams that passed him up.

Doh....there are 32 of those!! (yes, we passed him twice) = skewed opinion.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Seymour":39nxlf4a said:
T-Hawk":39nxlf4a said:

If memory serves me right, it was either Pete or John wanted to take him with the first or second round pick and the other convinced them that he'd be there in round 3. I remember hearing they were sweating all the way to pick 75 with the plenty of QB needy teams picking ahead of them. Thanks Jacksonville doing Jacksonville things picking a punter and Denver choosing Brock Osweiler lmao

Speaking of which, how overrated is Elway as an exec? He gets a pass on not signing Osweiler, even though he offered him 16 million a year. Luckily for him Houston was even more stupid.

lobohawk

Reaction score
T-Hawk":1ssbyxr1 said:

Thought I heard on the radio this morning that 7 of the voters placed him in Tier 3 (1 D coord, a few O cord, and then GMs)

kidhawk

Reaction score
Steve2222":c3e8ypgf said:
Seymour":c3e8ypgf said:
T-Hawk":c3e8ypgf said:

If memory serves me right, it was either Pete or John wanted to take him with the first or second round pick and the other convinced them that he'd be there in round 3. I remember hearing they were sweating all the way to pick 75 with the plenty of QB needy teams picking ahead of them.

IIRC, it was John who was really chomping at the bit to take him, but Pete kept reminding him that they had a plan going into the draft. I could have reversed it in my mind, but that's how I remember hearing about it after the fact.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":mvzhw49n said:
T-Hawk":mvzhw49n said:

We passed him twice and Pete had to restrain John from picking him in the 2nd Rd. b/c John was worried he might get grabbed by another team. He has proven to be one of the best picks the franchise has made ever. The rankings are very subjective and it's an ESPN ranking. They usually can't find their butts in the dark with a flashlight.

He's the best young QB statistically of all of the young QBs supposedly ranked ahead of him, and better than some of the experienced guys ranked ahead of him that are overrated. I'd rank him 4th or 5th, he wins games.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
My, entirely subjective, ranking system requires sustained success, as well as promise for the upcoming year, to secure a spot in Tier 1. Heavily weighted to recent success, though a sophomore QB can't be Tier 2 and there is no credit for a phenomenal college career, or major hype coming into the league. Non-probable-future-HOFers need not apply for Tier 1. Doesn't matter if you pick up your stats with your arm or your legs, just so long as you pick up stats, and have the intangible it factor that leads your team to wins.

Tier 1 - elite
Tom Brady (5 rings, 4 SB MVPs)
Aaron Rodgers (at risk of dropping out of tier 1) (1 ring, 1 SB MVP)

Tier 2 -
Matt Ryan (1 SB Appearance)
Drew Brees (1 ring, 1MVP)
Russell Wilson (1 ring, 2 appearances)
Ben Roethlis (at risk of dropping to tier 3) (2 rings, but also holds record for lowest SB passer rating)

Tier 3
Phillip Rivers
Cam Newton
Matt Stafford
Eli Manning (2 rings, but come on, also getting old)
Derrick Carr
Carson Palmer

Tier 4
Dak Prescott
Andrew Luck
Kirk Cousins
Joe Flacco

Everybody else

Seymour

Reaction score
LOL. The entire east coast just had 4,000 PSI of steam out their ears with Luck being called tier 4. :2thumbs:

Own The West

Reaction score
I think we should put Wilson in Tier 12, and watch him go on to win as many superbowls as Tiers 2-11 combined.

Oh wait, he already has.

Own The West

Reaction score
Own The West":2cvf61y1 said:
I think we should put Wilson in Tier 12, and watch him go on to win as many superbowls as Tiers 2-11 combined.

Oh wait, he already has.

Damn. I remember Flacco, but forgot about Manning.

Well, I guess he's going to have to eclipse Brady now...

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":1hzwxtdo said:
LOL. The entire east coast just had 4,000 PSI of steam out their ears with Luck being called tier 4. :2thumbs:
LOL, steam out they ears, and a little pee in their skivvies too. :lol:

semiahmoo

Reaction score
sdog1981":1e8zbpcv said:
The list is not in order. The list is set up saying that every player on the same tier can be interchanged. Wilson is right there waiting for 3 of those tier one guys to retire. Just look at their definition of a tier one QB "A Tier 1 quarterback can carry his team each week. The team wins because of him. Expertly handles pure-pass situations." That is the exact opposite of what Wilson did last season.

True, and with but a few game exceptions has never been Wilson. We were a run-heavy offense and one of the greatest defensive teams in history. That was the Pete Carroll era prime.

Since the run game and defense has diminished so has RW's overall capacity to win.

He is a T-2 QB. The list is surprisingly pretty accurate.

P.S. ESPN sucks.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
NJlargent":wr8x4z89 said:
Wilson is the best tier 2 on this list but does not belong in tier 1 just yet. I think he's 10th because of our annual regression the past few years. That's why Ryan is up and Wilson is down.

YUP.

Anthony!

Reaction score
semiahmoo":2ha4iv43 said:
sdog1981":2ha4iv43 said:
The list is not in order. The list is set up saying that every player on the same tier can be interchanged. Wilson is right there waiting for 3 of those tier one guys to retire. Just look at their definition of a tier one QB "A Tier 1 quarterback can carry his team each week. The team wins because of him. Expertly handles pure-pass situations." That is the exact opposite of what Wilson did last season.

True, and with but a few game exceptions has never been Wilson. We were a run-heavy offense and one of the greatest defensive teams in history. That was the Pete Carroll era prime.

Since the run game and defense has diminished so has RW's overall capacity to win.

He is a T-2 QB. The list is surprisingly pretty accurate.

P.S. ESPN sucks.

And hmm how soon we forget that the facts and stats say your wrong, I mean last I checked we still made the playoffs, and still won double digit games Hmm yeah your wrong

Anthony!

Reaction score
semiahmoo":1lf1ubnc said:
NJlargent":1lf1ubnc said:
Wilson is the best tier 2 on this list but does not belong in tier 1 just yet. I think he's 10th because of our annual regression the past few years. That's why Ryan is up and Wilson is down.

YUP.

:pukeface:

Smellyman

Reaction score
semiahmoo":1q8qtlcu said:
NJlargent":1q8qtlcu said:

YUP.

Haha. 2015 was an right up there all time historic year for a qb and passed for most yards in his career last year while hurt an immobile.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Wilson needs a dominant RB and Defense in order to win big - make it to the SB.

He is not talented enough to carry a team on his back through the playoffs, therefor is not a Top 5 QB.

This is based upon his performance up to now. Perhaps this season he shows something different.

He's had some strong seasons stat wise but does that make him a better QB than Joe Montana?

Hell no. Not even close.

(And don't even think of ranking him alongside Tom Brady. - Brady remains far superior.)

It's about winning and winning big and Wilson has not been doing that consistently for a few seasons now. He is not good enough to overcome the challenges the team has had. That's not to say it's all Wilson's fault. It isn't. He might very well be the hardest working QB in the game. My dishwasher works hard too. It won't win a Super Bowl, though.

Wilson needs that strong run game. He needs a dominant defense that relieves the pressure of having to try to put up big #s game in and game out.

I'll say it again because I know I'm right. This season is a pivotal one for Mr. Wilson. His career with either bounce back from last season or he will confirm what some fear - he's already on a slow decline.

I'm hoping for the former but fear the latter is a real possibility.

sdog1981

Reaction score
semiahmoo":zi781r2n said:

He is not talented enough to carry a team on his back through the playoffs, therefor is not a Top 5 QB.

No one knows that. Wilson has not had a Coach/OC combo that game plans for that. I ask the counter question: If Mike Holmgren had Wilson during his time here in Seattle do you think he would produce less than Hasselbeck?

Anthony!

Reaction score
semiahmoo":1z8fsf5k said:

This is based upon his performance up to now. Perhaps this season he shows something different.

He's had some strong seasons stat wise but does that make him a better QB than Joe Montana?

Hell no. Not even close.

(And don't even think of ranking him alongside Tom Brady. - Brady remains far superior.)

It's about winning and winning big and Wilson has not been doing that consistently for a few seasons now. He is not good enough to overcome the challenges the team has had. That's not to say it's all Wilson's fault. It isn't. He might very well be the hardest working QB in the game. My dishwasher works hard too. It won't win a Super Bowl, though.

Wilson needs that strong run game. He needs a dominant defense that relieves the pressure of having to try to put up big #s game in and game out.

I'll say it again because I know I'm right. This season is a pivotal one for Mr. Wilson. His career with either bounce back from last season or he will confirm what some fear - he's already on a slow decline.

I'm hoping for the former but fear the latter is a real possibility.

lol what a load of garbage. The only thing you are right about is your right to live. The rest complete garbage. You don't lie you want him to fail like you always have. Ahh FYI ahh how do you think we got to the playoff last year, no run, game Defense while good was not #1 and yet we got there, with no run game, a horrible oline. Answer OUR QB so right there you are proven wrong. But hey thanks for the laughs and you attempt to act like you are pro Wilson when everyone knows your not.

"I'll say it again because I know I'm right. This season is a pivotal one for Mr. Wilson. His career with either bounce back from last season or he will confirm what some fear - he's already on a slow decline."

Ahh you not right you are completely wrong and once again set several franchise records while playing with no run game the worst oline in the league and oh hey 3 huge injuries that would have sidelined most Qbs so another garbage BS post.

"It's about winning and winning big and Wilson has not been doing that consistently for a few seasons now. " Ahh lets see 10 wins last year same as Aaron Rodgers, I guess he sucks too, 10 the year before again same as Rodgers 12 of the year before same as Rodgers and Brady and I Can go on and on, He has been winning big. In fact, since he has been in the league he has never had less than 10 wins. So once again garbage.

Wow I just made you whole post worthless that was easy LOL

Anthony!

Reaction score
semiahmoo":3a3rrq61 said:

NO QB does it by themselves they all have something, great WR, great oline, Great run game, great defense something.

Wilson proved in 2015 he can do, with no lynch, no run game and yet we won and got to the playoffs, while he led the league in QB rating.

FYI Guess what that year Brady had a top 10- Defense and guess what he did last year too. OMG he sucks he had help. LOL his posts are laughable, pathetic and just plain BS