espn ranks nfl qbs

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Palmegranite":q5xt7vcs said:
semiahmoo":q5xt7vcs said:
semiahmoo":q5xt7vcs said:
If he can turn it around and re-emerge as a top-tier QB this season
You are virtually the only one on this board saying this. There is nothing to turn around from, and nothing to re-emerge as, unless again you are expecting a growth spurt.

I know there are reasons for it and there's no point in rehashing them, but on this point I think you're gilding the lily in your objections.

The thing to "turn around from" is that if you stripped their names from their stat lines last year you couldn't differentiate Russell Wilson from Andy Dalton, Ryan Tannehill, or Sam Bradford, and if you could, you'd likely put Wilson in the bottom two of them.

Every single person on this board -- myself included -- thinks Wilson is obviously heads and shoulders better than these three guys, but last year (again, for reasons we don't need to rehash) he didn't play like it.

That's the thing to "turn around from" that semiahmoo is talking about.

:2thumbs:

El Caliente

Reaction score
Hey folks, resident Saints fan here. As impartial as I can be I think Russ would have to be placed in the top 8 (if not top 7). I would take Brady, Rodgers, Brees, and Rivers over him for sure, but the rest of the guys placed above him...its debatable. Drew has his warts, but so does Rodgers. Drew throws picks, Rodgers takes sacks rather than forcing a throw. Rivers plays above his station, but he isn't clutch when it counts. The only infalible player on the list is Brady.

But Carr, Ryan, Big Ben, Stafford, Yuck, etc. you can make a case for RW to be rated as high as them. If the Saints didn't have Brees I would take RW over any of that lot. RW is really held back by your oc, but I suppose I am preaching to the choir on that one. Put him in a pass happy offense like the Saints, and him being mobile, it would be a fun offense to watch. Like the 49ers with Steve Young.

This list is just one man's opinion though, and how nice it must be to get paid to write stuff like this.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Nothing but respect for Brees. Incredible player and a class guy. And he's done all this while not being tall. :2thumbs:

Popeyejones

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":bdsof3fs said:
Nothing but respect for Brees. Incredible player and a class guy. And he's done all this while not being tall. :2thumbs:

Yep. Brees is the perfect data point for why Wilson's height shouldn't hinder him from playing well from the pocket (which Brees is #1 at in the NFL IMO, and even better than Brady, who like Peyton mostly gets misapplied credit for pocket ability due to the quick strike offense he plays in and his insane pre-snap ability and diagnosing speed).

Like Brees, Wilson's height has always been a nothing-burger.

(TBF though, it has been several years now since I've even heard his height mentioned by anyone except Seahawks fans, some of whom seem to like talking about other people talking about his height ;) )

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
We all have our own opinions on the guy, but at some point, you would think he's just a damn good QB? And not with an asterisk next to his name.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":svtcasv8 said:
We all have our own opinions on the guy, but at some point, you would think he's just a damn good QB? And not with an asterisk next to his name.

Who's putting an asterisk next to his name, though?

Even in this ranking in which he appears lower than usual he's a Top 10 QB, which by any definition makes him a damn good QB.

If by "asterisk" you mean any discussion of areas in which he could be better, for my money Rodgers is the best QB in the NFL and I could still go on at length about areas in which he could be better.

El Caliente

Reaction score
If Wilson wasn't being held back by Bevel, how much more production do you think that you could get out of him. I look across your offense, and I see those options, you guys have a lot of great weapons at Wilson's dispoal.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, it's maddening to see them in the Red Zone. The play calling is just brutal when they get down there. And yes, Russ can get better in the Red Zone. But the fact that they rarely seem to use Graham, and you can pretty much call the plays from your seats ahead of time.........not good.

El Caliente

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3b8hc8w0 said:
Yeah, it's maddening to see them in the Red Zone. The play calling is just brutal when they get down there. And yes, Russ can get better in the Red Zone. But the fact that they rarely seem to use Graham, and you can pretty much call the plays from your seats ahead of time.........not good.

To me that is the most maddening part. When we sent him to you guys I thought, alright, now that Wilson has a legit top 5 receiving target, we are going to see a huge step up in Wilson's game, and in his numbers. But that hasn't been the case. As a Saints fan, I was always used to seeing Brees just throw the ball up to Graham (when nothing else was working), and Graham would just be a beast. But in Seattle you guys are finally using Graham to his potential, but it almost seems like you have missed some golden opportunities already.

I just think that with a better game caller who knew how to utilize Graham you guys could be deadly.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And I'm sure you can imagine how stoked we were watching those highlights of all those jump balls from Brees to Graham. Then it just never happened. Not saying Wilson is at the Brees level, still gotta' keep growing, but I know he's more than capable.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Popeyejones":h0n8msz5 said:
Palmegranite":h0n8msz5 said:
semiahmoo":h0n8msz5 said:
semiahmoo":h0n8msz5 said:
You are virtually the only one on this board saying this. There is nothing to turn around from, and nothing to re-emerge as, unless again you are expecting a growth spurt.

I know there are reasons for it and there's no point in rehashing them, but on this point I think you're gilding the lily in your objections.

The thing to "turn around from" is that if you stripped their names from their stat lines last year you couldn't differentiate Russell Wilson from Andy Dalton, Ryan Tannehill, or Sam Bradford, and if you could, you'd likely put Wilson in the bottom two of them.

Every single person on this board -- myself included -- thinks Wilson is obviously heads and shoulders better than these three guys, but last year (again, for reasons we don't need to rehash) he didn't play like it.

Actually, that is not what he is talking about as he has repeatedly mentioned the last 2 seasons, and once again this year is still not as critical as he makes it out. Despite the numerous hurdles last year, ie injuries he still set club records. So his statement is just plain wrong,

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2kcwv930 said:
I think three things are happening on this list:

1) Russell Wilson is getting penalized by recency bias.

2) Russell Wilson is no longer getting the ascendancy bump.

3) Wilson is now getting dinged for seeming to not be a good fit in every offense.

ON #1:

Seahawks fans have a ton of reasons for it, but last year Wilson played the full season and was #10 in yards, #7 in YPA, #17 in TDs, #16 in INTs, and #14 in QB rating.

Average across those five standard QB stats he was the 13th best QB in the NFL.

Basically, I suspect that Hawks fans note that he was playing injured and the line was bad and want to move him up from 13th to 5th or 6th, whereas professional evaluators in the NFL take these things and move him up to 10.

ON #2:

Wilson is 28 now and is going into his sixth season as a full-time starter. I don't know if it's wise or fair or not, but he's no longer getting the "still improving" bump that young QBs get.

Last year also really changed opinions of Wilson, as people, for the first time, got to see him trying to carry his team without an all-world defense and all-world running game. I know Hawks fans have reasons for this, but he didn't do too well in that role, which is one of the reasons the Hawks have been adamant about returning to a run-first offense.

ON #3:

I've posted a lot about this before and will spare the details, but folks have been waiting for Wilson to develop into a player that can use the pocket and manipulate the pocket like all the other Tier 1 and Tier 2 QBs, and that just hasn't happened yet. Even this pre-season he has still been doing the same stuff that drives a lot of offensive coordinators and coaches batty.

PERSONALLY, as I've said before, I still think he'll have a Roethlisberger-like career trajectory (going from being a very good QB to a top 5 QB in his 30s as he finally settles down behind the LOS and learns how to use his blocking to his advantage), but as for right now I think this ranking makes sense (caveat: EVEN THOUGH I think he'll be higher than #10 by the end of this year).

Sorry but I believe your a bit off-base. PC has described his offensive philosophy as "run-first". PC has been saying this for years- he wants BALANCE on offense. The league has shifted so far to a passing game that when Seattle wants to run it 50% of the time it's labeled as "run-first.

On another point RW's stock actually up with outside critics because he was carrying the team last year.
He showed a lot of grit last season.

As for Ryan being in Tier 1, it's weird that they are rewarding him so much for 1 tremendous year. He needs to prove he can do it more than 1 year to be in that conversation IMO. Look at Cam Newton had a great year only to come back down last year.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Popeyejones":37m6hqsn said:
Palmegranite":37m6hqsn said:
semiahmoo":37m6hqsn said:
semiahmoo":37m6hqsn said:

Well said.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
jlwaters1":3v43r2rc said:
Popeyejones":3v43r2rc said:
I think three things are happening on this list:

1) Russell Wilson is getting penalized by recency bias.

2) Russell Wilson is no longer getting the ascendancy bump.

3) Wilson is now getting dinged for seeming to not be a good fit in every offense.

ON #1:

Seahawks fans have a ton of reasons for it, but last year Wilson played the full season and was #10 in yards, #7 in YPA, #17 in TDs, #16 in INTs, and #14 in QB rating.

Average across those five standard QB stats he was the 13th best QB in the NFL.

Basically, I suspect that Hawks fans note that he was playing injured and the line was bad and want to move him up from 13th to 5th or 6th, whereas professional evaluators in the NFL take these things and move him up to 10.

ON #2:

Wilson is 28 now and is going into his sixth season as a full-time starter. I don't know if it's wise or fair or not, but he's no longer getting the "still improving" bump that young QBs get.

Last year also really changed opinions of Wilson, as people, for the first time, got to see him trying to carry his team without an all-world defense and all-world running game. I know Hawks fans have reasons for this, but he didn't do too well in that role, which is one of the reasons the Hawks have been adamant about returning to a run-first offense.

ON #3:

I've posted a lot about this before and will spare the details, but folks have been waiting for Wilson to develop into a player that can use the pocket and manipulate the pocket like all the other Tier 1 and Tier 2 QBs, and that just hasn't happened yet. Even this pre-season he has still been doing the same stuff that drives a lot of offensive coordinators and coaches batty.

PERSONALLY, as I've said before, I still think he'll have a Roethlisberger-like career trajectory (going from being a very good QB to a top 5 QB in his 30s as he finally settles down behind the LOS and learns how to use his blocking to his advantage), but as for right now I think this ranking makes sense (caveat: EVEN THOUGH I think he'll be higher than #10 by the end of this year).

1) Sorry but I believe your a bit off-base. PC has described his offensive philosophy as "run-first". PC has been saying this for years- he wants BALANCE on offense. The league has shifted so far to a passing game that when Seattle wants to run it 50% of the time it's labeled as "run-first.

2) On another point RW's stock actually up with outside critics because he was carrying the team last year.
He showed a lot of grit last season.

3) As for Ryan being in Tier 1, it's weird that they are rewarding him so much for 1 tremendous year. He needs to prove he can do it more than 1 year to be in that conversation IMO. Look at Cam Newton had a great year only to come back down last year.

Just as a reminder, that post was trying to figure out the thought process that caused professional evaluaters to rank him lower than most here think he should be. It wasn't me arguing that he should be that low (i.e. at the end of my post I say what I think -- I understand why he is where he is but think he'll be higher on that list by the end of this year).

As for your three points (which I numbered in the quote of you for clarity):

1) When I suggest that PC has called for a return to running the ball more after last season, I'm relying on what PC has said and on the simple numbers.

For him talking about it see here: http://www.oregonlive.com/nfl/index.ssf ... ll_16.html

As for the numbers, last year was the first year Wilson threw over 500 passes in a season (about 65 more passes than he threw the year before which was his previous high -- about two full games worth of passes), and was also the first year in his tenure that the Seahawks threw more than they ran.

There's not really much debate, as PC said they want to get back to running more, and last year they passed more and ran less than they have ever done during his tenure. These are both statements of fact and there's nothing to debate about them.

2) If Wilson is ranked more highly by outside evaluators after last year than before last year is hard to prove (either way), but I think it's a hard argument to make. This ranking by 50 outside evaluators that places him at #10 seems like good evidence that he might have fallen for many after last year (unless you think people had him lower than 10 before last year, which I don't quite buy). Again, I'm not saying he's *really* the 10th best (I think he's higher). For the outside evaluators I've heard talk about it (Robert Mays, who loves Wilson as a player and the Seahawks as a team), he said Wilson fell for him last year for the reasons I stated (which are reasons I agree with).

3) I didn't make any claims about Matt Ryan and where he should be, but I think the league MVP from the previous season is going to get slotted into the top tier of his position 100 out of 100 times to start the next season. It doesn't mean he'll stay there, but that was kinda my point about Wilson getting dinged for "recency bias", but working in the other direction for Ryan.

EDIT: and just for anyone who is reading who thinks I'm bashing Wilson, I'm not, and I've even been putting my money where my mouth is. Fantasy Football isn't realy football obviously but I've been drafting Wilson in all of my money leagues because I think he's a little undervalued right now and is poised to have a very big year.

NINEster

Reaction score
Popeyejones":zf42e5h9 said:
gowazzu02":zf42e5h9 said:
In order to be a pocket passer you need to be given a pocket to pass from...........

Yeah, we've been around this ferris wheel many times before and people just end up pissed at me or anyone else who says that's not the full story.

In brief (and I'll leave it at this explanation as I have no interest in derailing this thread into being about how much I suck) I'm refering to (1) what Wilson does when he does have a pocket, and (2) what Wilson does when he enters the pocket.

As (I think) Robert Mays pointed out about a month ago when The Ringer did their QB rankings and had Wilson at 10, the hawks use a lot of gadget throws and throws from the top of the pocket, which in itself tells you what they think about Wilson from the pocket when it is there (fwiw it doesn't have anything to do with his height -- see Drew Brees).

Popeye's analysis plus some tweets I've seen from Andy Benoit and other football "analysis" has shed some light on what it is exactly that is keeping Wilson down that has nothing to do with his height (at least directly) or "hate".

Wilson is an anomaly QB in two ways:

a) Containment instead of an extremely powerful pass rush is often more effective against him - we've all seen him dodge unblocked pass rushers and turn it into a big play that nobody else is seemingly capable of doing. That Lions MNF game two years ago was a prime example of that. As such, teams improving the way they rush Wilson has brought good results for them.

b) Wilson throwing the ball in that 1.5-2.0 second (loose numbers, not exact) is pretty good. If he's forced to hold onto it, he doesn't usually exploit that extra time like you would hope....in the pocket. Given enough time and if Baldwin or Graham or Lockett can break free on the scramble drill, he can find them. But just buying extra time to find the guy he doesn't connect like he should.

I also read on here that certain throws over the middle are not his forte as discovered by the Rams, 2015 season opener.

There are numerous little things with Wilson that all seem to revolve around pocket awareness/utilization.

People like to hate on Wilson with respect to him "falling off" if he loses his mobility. For me, if he ever lost his deep ball, I'd be very concerned.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Yeah, his deep ball is really a thing of beauty, and gawwwwd, the touch on it too.

Wilson throws the prettiest deep ball in the NFL, IMO.

Rodgers has gotten lucky on some bombs as of late, but all things considered Wilson is my favorite deep ball thrower in the NFL.

Latest posts