espn ranks nfl qbs

semiahmoo

Reaction score
It isn't just about stats.

It's about winning.

Wilson has struggled to do that deep into the playoffs. He's had brilliant moments but not consistently enough to win big more often.

If he can turn it around and re-emerge as a top-tier QB this season that would be awesome. It's going to be a lot tougher for him then some want to admit. I get it - do no evil fans and all.

When the Seahawks won it all I'd rank RW in order of importance at about #5.

The past few seasons I'd put him at about #3 for NOT winning a Super Bowl.

That makes him somewhat less than Top Tier at this stage of his career. Without the out-of-this-world supporting cast he's exposed as average.

I'm never wrong because I'm always right at least half the time...

Anthony!

Reaction score
semiahmoo":bcmn5kj3 said:

It's about winning.

Wilson has struggled to do that deep into the playoffs. He's had brilliant moments but not consistently enough to win big more often.

If he can turn it around and re-emerge as a top-tier QB this season that would be awesome. It's going to be a lot tougher for him then some want to admit. I get it - do no evil fans and all.

That makes him somewhat less than Top Tier at this stage of his career. Without the out-of-this-world supporting cast he's exposed as average.

More incorrect stuff and bs

chris98251

Reaction score
Marino, Archie Manning, Dan Fouts, Dan Pastorini, could not win it all without a RB and a good defense either, Peyton Manning needed a good defense a semblance of a running game.

So the argument of Wilson not being a top tier QB because he can't do it all really holds no water.

I can throw in Fran Tarkington and Kim Kelly also, both had good defenses and a good Running game and still could not win it with 4 and 5 attempts to the Super Bowl If my count is correct.

Anthony!

Reaction score
chris98251":3fpou748 said:
Marino, Archie Manning, Dan Fouts, Dan Pastorini, could not win it all without a RB and a good defense either, Peyton Manning needed a good defense a semblance of a running game.

So the argument of Wilson not being a top tier QB because he can't do it all really holds no water.

I can throw in Fran Tarkington and Kim Kelly also, both had good defenses and a good Running game and still could not win it with 4 and 5 attempts to the Super Bowl If my count is correct.

Not to mention Elway needing a run game etc etc

NJlargent

Reaction score
Smellyman":95e0iqyy said:
semiahmoo":95e0iqyy said:
NJlargent":95e0iqyy said:
Wilson is the best tier 2 on this list but does not belong in tier 1 just yet. I think he's 10th because of our annual regression the past few years. That's why Ryan is up and Wilson is down.

YUP.

Haha. 2015 was an right up there all time historic year for a qb and passed for most yards in his career last year while hurt an immobile.

My point was not Wilson's annual regression but the team. After 2013 the NFL world was ready to crown RW the next Brady for this generation. But because the team has regressed Wilson goes down in ranking and Ryan goes up because Atlanta is hot and going up. Quite frankly I think RW should go up in ranking the past two years because coaching has handcuffed him and our OLine is abysmal

Palmegranite

Reaction score
semiahmoo":2fr07fzk said:

It's about winning.
Wilson has "winning" in his DNA. He oozes "winning" from his pores. Likely you're thinking that it's about 'taller winning'. Yes his stats are great but not 'taller' stats and his winning is exemplary but not necessarily "tall enough" winning.

28 of the other teams would kill to "struggle" the way Wilson has, taking the team to two Super Bowls, and providing (most) Seahawks fans with lifelong awesome memories of improbable comebacks, both losses and wins against Denver, Green Bay, the Vikings and Carolina.

If he can turn it around and re-emerge as a top-tier QB this season
You are virtually the only one on this board saying this. There is nothing to turn around from, and nothing to re-emerge as, unless again you are expecting a growth spurt.

This makes no sense. You said above that it's not about stats, it's about winning. RW took his team to the SB championship and won. That has # 1 stamped all over it.

Without the out-of-this-world supporting cast he's exposed as average.
Really just a misunderstanding of team sports altogether. If you would like a primer, refer to Buffalo Bills as a cautionary tale. Many Bills fans, and even the owner had your negative connotations regarding a brilliant, unconventional QB(Flutie in this case) that just won and won. They also excused the success with an out-of the world supporting cast (also their defence), went with the tall guy(Robosack) and haven't been about 'winning' in 18 years.

Please, I implore fans on this board to try to enjoy the success Russell Wilson brings to this current generation now, and not be bitter because you would rather win taller or win with lots of long balls or win with a QB that is ____insert your flavor here_____.

I will only have good things to say about RW and my ranking is different than ESPN; of course I put him number 1.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Palmegranite":19mw5dz2 said:
semiahmoo":19mw5dz2 said:

It's about winning.
Wilson has "winning" in his DNA. He oozes "winning" from his pores. Likely you're thinking that it's about 'taller winning'. Yes his stats are great but not 'taller' stats and his winning is exemplary but not necessarily "tall enough" winning.

28 of the other teams would kill to "struggle" the way Wilson has, taking the team to two Super Bowls, and providing (most) Seahawks fans with lifelong awesome memories of improbable comebacks, both losses and wins against Denver, Green Bay, the Vikings and Carolina.

You are virtually the only one on this board saying this. There is nothing to turn around from, and nothing to re-emerge as, unless again you are expecting a growth spurt.

This makes no sense. You said above that it's not about stats, it's about winning. RW took his team to the SB championship and won. That has # 1 stamped all over it.

Really just a misunderstanding of team sports altogether. If you would like a primer, refer to Buffalo Bills as a cautionary tale. Many Bills fans, and even the owner had your negative connotations regarding a brilliant, unconventional QB(Flutie in this case) that just won and won. They also excused the success with an out-of the world supporting cast (also their defence), went with the tall guy(Robosack) and haven't been about 'winning' in 18 years.

Please, I implore fans on this board to try to enjoy the success Russell Wilson brings to this current generation now, and not be bitter because you would rather win taller or win with lots of long balls or win with a QB that is ____insert your flavor here_____.

I will only have good things to say about RW and my ranking is different than ESPN; of course I put him number 1.

NIce post spot on, also might I add the supposed out of this world supporting cast. Hmm Lets Brady has one of the top TE in the game, several WR who are considered great, At one time he had Moss and several other big time wr. THis is just more of Semiahmoo's revisionist BS to make a point that is flat out and out wrong. Lets add one more thing he mentions Montana with reverence, forgetting that Montanna played with a huge number of HOF talk about "out of this world supporting cast". I do agree this is all about the fact the Wilson does not fit his status of a QB ie height. I would say he is Pete Prisco in disguise but even Prisco has started to get it.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
semiahmoo":2lxgiw21 said:

It's about winning.

Spot on!

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Anthony!":saklzczb said:
Palmegranite":saklzczb said:
semiahmoo":saklzczb said:

It's about winning.

NIce post spot on, also might I add the supposed out of this world supporting cast. Hmm Lets Brady has one of the top TE in the game, several WR who are considered great, At one time he had Moss and several other big time wr. THis is just more of Semiahmoo's revisionist BS to make a point that is flat out and out wrong. Lets add one more thing he mentions Montana with reverence, forgetting that Montanna played with a huge number of HOF talk about "out of this world supporting cast". I do agree this is all about the fact the Wilson does not fit his status of a QB ie height. I would say he is Pete Prisco in disguise but even Prisco has started to get it.

Totally agree Brady is a world class QB with world-class talent around him including Gronk. (Though I think Jimmy could be superior to Gronk w/an offense that utilizes him far better than the Hawks have to this point)

Guess that is the primary difference between a dynasty like the Patriots and a so-far one and done by the Hawks.

Maybe this is the season the Seahawks (and RW) return to a legit winning form...

Anthony!

Reaction score
semiahmoo":38cvjdgw said:
semiahmoo":38cvjdgw said:

It's about winning.

Spot on!

Pathetic when you have to spot on your own pathetically wrong post LOL

Anthony!

Reaction score
semiahmoo":glmthl0g said:
Anthony!":glmthl0g said:
Palmegranite":glmthl0g said:

It's about winning.

Totally agree Brady is a world class QB with world-class talent around him including Gronk. (Though I think Jimmy could be superior to Gronk w/an offense that utilizes him far better than the Hawks have to this point)

Guess that is the primary difference between a dynasty like the Patriots and a so-far one and done by the Hawks.

Maybe this is the season the Seahawks (and RW) return to a legit winning form...

LOL talking out both sides of your mouth again I see. Let me help YOu said rw ""]Without the out-of-this-world supporting cast he's exposed as average." We all said and proved you wrong and added all the top QBs have world class talent around them ang help. Your rebuttal was well garbage. FYI We have been to the playoff every year since RW has been here, there are only a hand ful of teams and QBs that can say that, so once again WRONG

adeltaY

Reaction score
From what you're saying, a tier one QB has to be able to be able to drag his team to an SB win with a crap defense, unexceptional supporting cast, and meh OL... Not sure that QB exists, ever has, or ever will....

The point about RW not taking us far in the playoffs these past couple years is absolutely laughable. The dude is 8-4 in the playoffs. This is the kind of crap they were saying about Manning in the early 2000s and look how that turned out. If you look at all RWs playoff losses you can point to the defense and/or the OL shitting the bed. Ironically, the games he played worst in, he ended up winning and he has flat out balled in some of the losses ('12 @ATL and second half @CAR).

Popeyejones

Reaction score
FWIW that pass to Kearse in this last pre-season game was about as beautiful and impressive of a pass as you'll see in the NFL.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Although I would currently rank Wilson somewhere around 6th, he is the only current QB that I think will join Brady and Rodgers in the conversation for top-tier of all time great QBs of this generation. And (sacrilege) I'm not entirely convinced that Rodgers belongs there. There are a couple of other young QBs who have the potential, but it's way to early to tell with them.

What do the truly great QBs do? They elevate the skill level of the players around them, and make them look even better than they really are. Brady has worked with some truly great receivers in his career. He has also made a lot of very average receivers look pro-bowl worthy. I see the same thing in Wilson (obviously not to the same extent yet). He makes the team, and the individual players on the team, better than they otherwise would be. I don't see that from Rodgers at all. In fact, I kind of see the opposite.

Wilson isn't quite to the level of stepping up and taking command of the game in the way that a Brady, Rodgers, or Roethlisberger do. Nor would I expect him too yet. He is still a very young QB. However, he is way ahead of the curve in developing that part of his game. It's a little scary to think how good he could be if he develops that while he still has youthful wheels.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2p6z96mj said:
FWIW that pass to Kearse in this last pre-season game was about as beautiful and impressive of a pass as you'll see in the NFL.

Yes it was! Hope we order up another 12 of those this season.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
bigskydoc":3r9pb31h said:
Although I would currently rank Wilson somewhere around 6th, he is the only current QB that I think will join Brady and Rodgers in the conversation for top-tier of all time great QBs of this generation. And (sacrilege) I'm not entirely convinced that Rodgers belongs there. There are a couple of other young QBs who have the potential, but it's way to early to tell with them.

What do the truly great QBs do? They elevate the skill level of the players around them, and make them look even better than they really are. Brady has worked with some truly great receivers in his career. He has also made a lot of very average receivers look pro-bowl worthy. I see the same thing in Wilson (obviously not to the same extent yet). He makes the team, and the individual players on the team, better than they otherwise would be. I don't see that from Rodgers at all. In fact, I kind of see the opposite.

Wilson isn't quite to the level of stepping up and taking command of the game in the way that a Brady, Rodgers, or Roethlisberger do. Nor would I expect him too yet. He is still a very young QB. However, he is way ahead of the curve in developing that part of his game. It's a little scary to think how good he could be if he develops that while he still has youthful wheels.

Great commentary.

He's not too young anymore, though. Wilson has been forced to put some hard miles on him the last few season - last season especially.

He's slowed down some even at the lighter weight.

Maybe he'll improve to the point of being a "take command" QB and maybe he won't.

I stand by my earlier belief this will be the season that question gets answered.

I'm rooting for him, but worried he could be facing the beginning stages of a his decline.

Anthony!

Reaction score
semiahmoo":2rtotcco said:
bigskydoc":2rtotcco said:

Great commentary.

He's not too young anymore, though. Wilson has been forced to put some hard miles on him the last few season - last season especially.

He's slowed down some even at the lighter weight.

Maybe he'll improve to the point of being a "take command" QB and maybe he won't.

I stand by my earlier belief this will be the season that question gets answered.

I'm rooting for him, but worried he could be facing the beginning stages of a his decline.

"I'm rooting for him" LOL great joke thanks for the laugh

Latest posts