Everyone's blaming Bevell, but......

getnasty

Reaction score
He's had interviews. What did we finish in offensive categories last year? I'm no Bevell fan but outside of Russ and Jimmy we don't have 1 player in the top 20 at there position on offense, maybe Britt.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I'm not a Bevell lover but some here are ridiculous.

Coaching offers? The last 2 DC's were being coached by one of the best defensive minds in football and with some of the best defensive talent in the league. Bevell is working within Pete's philosophy but Pete is not an offensive master mind so if Bevell gets coaching interviews it is because of him, not because he is working within the system of an offensive mastermind.

I don't understand the desire or need to trash one of our coaches. A super Bowl winning coach at that. Would you rather go back to Bates? You remember him right? The guy that ran off our O-line coach before the season started and then proceeded to call nothing but long developing 5-7 step drops with an offensive line that didn't have a single player ever play a starting role in the NFL after that year? and castoffs for receivers like Ruvell Martin. Did any of our receivers from that year ever play as a starter after that year?

Last game was putrid on offense but a big part of it was dropping passes, Wilson being off as well as injured, a great game plan by our opponents defense knowing they could disrupt our timing and morally derailing critical penalties. Maybe just maybe a very good defense with a great game plan, executing perfectly and everything on the line might have had something to do with it also.

I certainly don't think Bevell is the best OC in the game. Maybe even just average but Pete says he is his guy and if Pete believes he is the best option then I believe him.

I will say this. It could be much much worse. I know that because as a long time Seahawks fan I have seen it.

Making a change is a crapshoot. Remember, Pete's first choice as OC was Bates. I think that guy is running a Motel somewhere now.

Threedee

Reaction score
I'm good with Bates. Also, Trestman and Roman.

We shouldn't need to make adjustments midseason at OC. Bevell should have been fired before last season.

mrt144

Reaction score
I'm for Bevell coming down with a cold and letting whoever is next in line call a game. Just give us an idea of what else it could be like.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Two points

Perhaps Bevell really enjoys Seattle as a place to raise his family and likes working with Pete and his employer.

Also, I'm thinking Bev would be a great successor to Pete 4 years down the road.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Trrrroy":155qzjsw said:
Blaming Bevell is a lazy overreaction. Sometimes your team gets outplayed. It's what happened here. He's not telling his O-line to hold, and Russ being under instant pressure isn't in his playbook.
It can certainly be a lazy overreaction, but a SMART offensive coordinator adjusts his plan to account for injuries, or if his O-line's getting smoked six ways from Sunday. Ours almost never does, and half the time he does, it's too little, too late.

Seriously; telling your players to do something you're watching them be incapable of doing is not the fault of the players. If I tell you to go run a three-minute mile and you can't do it, that doesn't make it your fault. That makes it my fault for sticking with unrealistic expectations that don't take reality into account.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
You should also consider this offensive staff does not trust C-Mike and it is obvious. We are throwing at a record clip and this is even with Wilson being injured.

I see C-Mike making some dumb situational mistakes but there is more to it than that. There is something that is causing Pete and Bevell to shy away from him. Maybe he is making alot more mistakes out there than we are seeing and they are limiting some of the things we can do because they don't trust him to do the right thing or be in the right place.

Some have trashed Bevell for calling a screen play to C-Mike with no blockers but is that really what happened or was C-Mike out of position in a situation Wilson felt he really needed to get rid of the ball and C-Mike was visible?

We don't know all the parameters of every play so it is hard to actually break down how it was designed, called or executed but we do know that our primary back has been a huge part of this offense until now and the guy we are left with was nearly out of the NFL not long ago for things most fans couldn't see or analyze.

I know it seems crazy but maybe we don't have all the information. Or maybe we have some of the most brilliant football minds in the history of the game who can pinpoint the problem after watching a single play. It's probably one or the other.

Fade

Reaction score
getnasty":1tfiapth said:
He's had interviews. What did we finish in offensive categories last year? I'm no Bevell fan but outside of Russ and Jimmy we don't have 1 player in the top 20 at there position on offense, maybe Britt.

Doug Baldwin

Dismas

Reaction score
RichNhansom":wtc9bvrp said:
You should also consider this offensive staff does not trust C-Mike and it is obvious. We are throwing at a record clip and this is even with Wilson being injured.

I see C-Mike making some dumb situational mistakes but there is more to it than that. There is something that is causing Pete and Bevell to shy away from him. Maybe he is making alot more mistakes out there than we are seeing and they are limiting some of the things we can do because they don't trust him to do the right thing or be in the right place.

Some have trashed Bevell for calling a screen play to C-Mike with no blockers but is that really what happened or was C-Mike out of position in a situation Wilson felt he really needed to get rid of the ball and C-Mike was visible?

We don't know all the parameters of every play so it is hard to actually break down how it was designed, called or executed but we do know that our primary back has been a huge part of this offense until now and the guy we are left with was nearly out of the NFL not long ago for things most fans couldn't see or analyze.

I know it seems crazy but maybe we don't have all the information. Or maybe we have some of the most brilliant football minds in the history of the game who can pinpoint the problem after watching a single play. It's probably one or the other.

I also have found myself thinking they just don't trust C-Mike. And really, Cmike hasn't done much to earn it. Many here have noticed him doing a little Shaun A thing on some plays, shying from contact wen a down marker was right there to fight towards, or being hesitant to stick his nose across into a scrum, even when all he needs is another yard.
I spent a lot of the cards game wishing Rawls a speedier recovery, and his butt on the field, and also rueing that Pope got away to the Jets.

Cmike has done some very nice things this season, and ertainly shown that he has the potential to be more than a trivia answer, but I really don't feel any confidence in his ability to be more than just a guy.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Hey, last I looked, we didn't lose in Arizona. In fact, our team was in a position to win in the final seconds, which is where good coaching staffs put their teams. It's up to the players to execute these enhanced chances and we didn't do that at the end Sunday night.

That being said, we do own the third best record in the NFC at the moment and we're only a half a game behind Minnesota and Dallas. This is a good spot to be in.

I see a lot of overreactionaries on here, this thread being devoted to our offensive coordinator. But we have suffered just 1 loss in 6 games and we have won at the rate of 68% over the last 3 years and we have been to 2 of the last 3 Super Bowls, winning one. I'm thinking it's a very good time to be a Seahawk fan.

This coaching staff knows how to get things done and they're in the position they are in because they're talented at what they do. The NFL season is a big-picture thing and I fully expect the Seahawks to again be perched among the league's best at the end of the year when the dust settles.

UK_Hawk

Reaction score
I'm not an expert by any means as I'm a relative newcomer to the sport, but to me, it seems as though the offensive play calls are quite often the wrong calls. I watch a lot of other teams games and even watching opposition teams offence against us...

On Sunday night Arizona were 10-21 on 3rd down efficiency, that was part of the reason the defence spent so long on the field. They were awesome in keeping Arizona down to 6 in 4 quarters, but they struggled to get their offence off the field. Not a knock at them, Arizona and Palmer did a good job offensively...

It's no surprise to me checking the stats that we're 25th in the rankings in 3rd down efficiency. Sure, a lot of it has to do with RW's injuries although he won't use it as an excuse, where he'd normally make a little shimmy and run 6/7+ yards, he's struggling to do that this year. However we know he's got that injury and the offence should be out there with ideas so that we can gain yards without him needing to.

For me the blame is with Bevell, I'm not calling for him to be replaced yet, however I think he needs to be a bit more adventurous. 2nd/3rd and 8 and making a play that gains you 4/5 yards doesn't seem like the right type of thing to do!

Apologies if some of what I've said doesn't make sense, I'm not a pro!

cymatica

Reaction score
. It's up to the players to execute these enhanced chances and we didn't do that at the end Sunday night.

And it's up to coaching to put your players in the best position to execute well.

Example: don't leave your struggling tackles on an island all night against elite defensive ends. Call formations/plays that help them.

Remember the fail mairy game, greenbay couldn't do anything spreading it out, our d-line was killing them. They came out at halftime going TE heavy, and started gaining yards and scoring points.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
cymatica":1dipwzhw said:
. It's up to the players to execute these enhanced chances and we didn't do that at the end Sunday night.

And it's up to coaching to put your players in the best position to execute well.

Example: don't leave your struggling tackles on an island all night against elite defensive ends. Call formations/plays that help them.

Remember the fail mairy game, greenbay couldn't do anything spreading it out, our d-line was killing them. They came out at halftime going TE heavy, and started gaining yards and scoring points.
At the end of the game we had a chance to win. The coaches aren't on the field, so that's all we can ask of them. We missed the kick, but a tie on the road against a division rival is a pretty decent consolation prize.

hawker84

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":4f4fvamy said:
cymatica":4f4fvamy said:

At the end of the game we had a chance to win. The coaches aren't on the field, so that's all we can ask of them. We missed the kick, but a tie on the road against a division rival is a pretty decent consolation prize.

No, sorry it's not, when our D holds them to 6 points...... With the weapons we have on offense, that is inexcusable.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":zg1ytgpl said:

Pete knows (or at least should) that Hauschka's FG percentage in that stadium is shit. Knowing that, he should have tried at least one more play to get it in the end zone before kicking.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
OkieHawk":3e1s30jv said:
Siouxhawk":3e1s30jv said:
At the end of the game we had a chance to win. The coaches aren't on the field, so that's all we can ask of them. We missed the kick, but a tie on the road against a division rival is a pretty decent consolation prize.[

Pete knows (or at least should) that Hauschka's FG percentage in that stadium is shit. Knowing that, he should have tried at least one more play to get it in the end zone before kicking.

Probably would have with a better option than C-Mike.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
RichNhansom":bzlok3m9 said:
OkieHawk":bzlok3m9 said:
Siouxhawk":bzlok3m9 said:
At the end of the game we had a chance to win. The coaches aren't on the field, so that's all we can ask of them. We missed the kick, but a tie on the road against a division rival is a pretty decent consolation prize.[

Who says that it would have gone to Christine? We have Jimmy Graham, or have we forgotten that?

I know that Bevell seems to in regards to the end zone. :twisted:

RichNhansom

Reaction score
OkieHawk":9fe74wk7 said:
RichNhansom":9fe74wk7 said:
OkieHawk":9fe74wk7 said:
Siouxhawk":9fe74wk7 said:

Who says that it would have gone to Christine? We have Jimmy Graham, or have we forgotten that?

I know that Bevell seems to in regards to the end zone. :twisted:

Could you imagine the torches and putchforks if Wilson threw an Int trying to score?

Only option IMO was a run and we don't have Lynch or Rawls and I just don't think they trust C-Mike.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
RichNhansom":2986j69l said:
Could you imagine the torches and putchforks if Wilson threw an Int trying to score?

Only option IMO was a run and we don't have Lynch or Rawls and I just don't think they trust C-Mike.

Can't you already see the torches and pitchforks out? ;)

Latest posts