Frank Clark Gives Me Hope

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
He's a good player. Let's not get carried away with "better than Wagner" n stuff.

jmahon316

Reaction score
Jerhawk":1sl0wjpe said:
jmahon316":1sl0wjpe said:
WmHBonney":1sl0wjpe said:
Coug_Hawk08":1sl0wjpe said:
If only he didn’t end with the ‘feed my family’ bit.
Why? He is focusing on what matters during the season....FOOTBALL. Some of our other players should try it.

Yeah, I didn't understand the distaste for that last line either.

Because he makes a ton of money, feeding his family in terms of financial security is a joke to those of us with real life financial struggles.

I'm on the edge between lower/middle class and I didn't take that offensively. Mostly because you have to remember that football player's careers could end in a split second (I.E. Chancellor, Avril, Lockette, etc). Maybe he's trying to keep his head in the game and deal with less distractions so he can play to his full potential and get a bigger contract so if that day ever rears its ugly head, him and his family won't have to worry about money. Just my two cents.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":1fmr4nj4 said:
Clark will overtake Wagner/Thomas as the best defensive player on the team maybe next year.

Clark is a beast! Believe it!

Lets not get ahead of ourselves now.

themunn

Reaction score
Jerhawk":1cc8d5de said:
jmahon316":1cc8d5de said:
WmHBonney":1cc8d5de said:
Coug_Hawk08":1cc8d5de said:
Why? He is focusing on what matters during the season....FOOTBALL. Some of our other players should try it.

Because he makes a ton of money, feeding his family in terms of financial security is a joke to those of us with real life financial struggles.

According to data compiled by the LA Times, Baldwin Village has more than 30,000 residents, with a median household income of less than $40,000. Roughly 32 percent of families in the area are headed by a single parent. It ranks high among Los Angeles neighborhoods for violent crimes and property crimes. Crack and meth are currency. In 2011, one drug raid was so large, the L.A. Sports Arena parking lot was used as a staging ground for the 900 police officers used.

These are the streets Clark wandered with his mother, Teneka Clark, from the early 1990s until 2003, when he was handed a plane ticket.

Frank Clark can't provide a last known address in Los Angeles. He and Teneka, along with his two older siblings, were nomadic. They rambled around town, sleeping in a shelter one night, in a random friend’s house another night. Teneka had drug problems, Frank explains, and this was the fallout.

I think when Frank Clark thinks of feeding his family, these are the memories that's making him think "I need to play well, I need to make my millions so this will never ever happen to anyone in my family ever again".

original poster

Reaction score
Yeah absolutely.

He’s had some real struggles in his life. Seriously rooting for him and his family.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3fe310f2 said:
Clark took advantage of several backup left tackles last year. There were too many points where he vanished completely. He's a good, but not elite defensive end.

If you think I'm committing sacrilege in saying this, remember that people are saying the same thing about Bennett despite HIS 8+ sacks.

Clark is very similar to Bennett in that he relies on his elite speed and quickness to be effective..............and like Bennett this year Clark played 80-90% of snaps, instead of a more healthy 50-60% to maximize his effectiveness.

That's been a problem with our D-line for a good 3-4 years, not enough quality depth for guys like Clark and Bennett to stay fresh, which is why they BOTH wore down at the end of the season.

Clark's a beast, but he shouldn't be playing 80-90% of the snaps like he's been asked to do these past couple of years.

HawkerD

Reaction score
Jerhawk":chxe2awt said:
jmahon316":chxe2awt said:
WmHBonney":chxe2awt said:
Coug_Hawk08":chxe2awt said:

It's a metaphor.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Jerhawk":21npktux said:
jmahon316":21npktux said:
WmHBonney":21npktux said:
Coug_Hawk08":21npktux said:

I think you lost the plot her Jer...

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Jerhawk":3rzyml0b said:

This is a weird thing to be critical of................not to get political but we should be celebrating young men being driven to take care of their families.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2v4y63cu said:
Jerhawk":2v4y63cu said:
jmahon316":2v4y63cu said:
WmHBonney":2v4y63cu said:

I think you lost the plot her Jer...

My bad. Didn't mean to derail the thread. All of our lives are different. In my line of work, I deal with folks all day who struggle to pay their bills, keep a roof over their head and feed their families on limited income. It's just a joke to me when these pro athletes talk about feeding their families when they make a ton of money.

I get it, it's like comparing apples to oranges. I guess I'm just a narrow minded, ignorant biggot.

In regards to Clark, yes hopefully he continues to develop his skills on the field and has nothing but success. He's come a long way, both on and off the field.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":z7i8az44 said:
MontanaHawk05":z7i8az44 said:
Clark took advantage of several backup left tackles last year. There were too many points where he vanished completely. He's a good, but not elite defensive end.

If you think I'm committing sacrilege in saying this, remember that people are saying the same thing about Bennett despite HIS 8+ sacks.

Clark is very similar to Bennett in that he relies on his elite speed and quickness to be effective..............and like Bennett this year Clark played 80-90% of snaps, instead of a more healthy 50-60% to maximize his effectiveness.

That's been a problem with our D-line for a good 3-4 years, not enough quality depth for guys like Clark and Bennett to stay fresh, which is why they BOTH wore down at the end of the season.

Clark's a beast, but he shouldn't be playing 80-90% of the snaps like he's been asked to do these past couple of years.

Bennett never had elite speed/quickness there's a reason he went undrafted. Cliff was definitely our best speed rusher. Clark is more explosive that speedy if that makes sense.

RastaHawk12!

Reaction score
themunn":1vmb618f said:
Jerhawk":1vmb618f said:
According to data compiled by the LA Times, Baldwin Village has more than 30,000 residents, with a median household income of less than $40,000. Roughly 32 percent of families in the area are headed by a single parent. It ranks high among Los Angeles neighborhoods for violent crimes and property crimes. Crack and meth are currency. In 2011, one drug raid was so large, the L.A. Sports Arena parking lot was used as a staging ground for the 900 police officers used.

These are the streets Clark wandered with his mother, Teneka Clark, from the early 1990s until 2003, when he was handed a plane ticket.

Frank Clark can't provide a last known address in Los Angeles. He and Teneka, along with his two older siblings, were nomadic. They rambled around town, sleeping in a shelter one night, in a random friend’s house another night. Teneka had drug problems, Frank explains, and this was the fallout.

I think when Frank Clark thinks of feeding his family, these are the memories that's making him think "I need to play well, I need to make my millions so this will never ever happen to anyone in my family ever again".

Amen to that.

I don't have issue at all with a football player knowing that his shelf life is short... very short. And God willing, he can make enough money to last him and his family a very long time.

Most careers last just a few years, and most are broke just a few years after that. I'm perfectly ok with a man being smart enough think about these things.

BigMeach

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1lerm177 said:
DSudrUVVAAAXmOf

I'm guilty of being critical of Pete making suspect character picks and allowing some of his players to act out, but I give credit where credit is due with Clark.

Pete and his staff have done an amazing job with Clark both professionally and personally. If Clark is the face of the next wave of Hawk leaders? I'm just fine with that.

Does he mark his face with the sacks he has throughout the season? It looks like he has 5 marked on one side of his face, can't see the other.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I love Frank Clark as a football player and respect him as a man and a human being.
I always felt his situation was unfairly politicized (hysteracized?) and there were never any character issues in terms of his hard work, focus, and giving 100% as a team player. (no further comment so as to hopefully avoid relegation to non-football threads)

Clark was my adopt-a-rookie back in the day, didn't get a lot of snaps that year, but showed good stuff on the ones he did get. I felt he developed solidly this year, approaching all-pro level. Loved how he came up with big plays at the end of several games, sacks with the game on the line. Motor running all the time, 4-quarter player is what I saw. I hope and expect he will emerge as a full-fledged all-pro level player next year.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
adeltaY":12luki2l said:
Sgt. Largent":12luki2l said:
MontanaHawk05":12luki2l said:

Bennett never had elite speed/quickness there's a reason he went undrafted. Cliff was definitely our best speed rusher. Clark is more explosive that speedy if that makes sense.

Bennett has one of the quickest get offs in the NFL, it's how he's managed to be effective as an undersized interior lineman.

Awesome technique, leverage and speed.............that's his jam.

adeltaY

Reaction score
I disagree. He was never that quick, that's why he get so man offsides penalties. He has to time the snap perfectly to have a good chance at getting there. His technique and array of moves is how he makes his money. He's also very intelligent and experienced.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
adeltaY":2gr0zof1 said:
I disagree. He was never that quick, that's why he get so man offsides penalties. He has to time the snap perfectly to have a good chance at getting there. His technique and array of moves is how he makes his money. He's also very intelligent and experienced.

It's even in his draft profiles, quick get off and initial burst.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/mic ... t?id=71205

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingrepor ... ennett.php

We can discuss whether he's lost that initial burst, cause it certainly looks like he has over the past couple of years.............thus more offsides. But you're wrong, dude has/had one of the best quick bursts in the league, it's how Bennett gets leverage on his opponent so fast.

chris98251

Reaction score
Bennett may get off sides penalties but I will add this, he get off fast and some of those are not penalties just bad officiating, he goes on movement of the ball and the Ref watching see's Bennett move at the same time and he gets off before the ball gets to the QB.

Seymour

Reaction score
chris98251":2wf7r3fz said:
Bennett may get off sides penalties but I will add this, he get off fast and some of those are not penalties just bad officiating, he goes on movement of the ball and the Ref watching see's Bennett move at the same time and he gets off before the ball gets to the QB.

Pretty sure Dr Arakaki can help him with that issue.

arakaki-final-355.jpg

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1f5uini7 said:

He also beat some elite left tackles like Whitworth the first Rams game.

Clark is a 10 sack player on a rookie deal, that makes him one of our most valuable players.

No one declared him a future All-Pro I think he was less effective this year because he had to play more snaps. The hope is he can blossom into an every down player and it's not too late for that.