Geno signing multi year deal

NoGain

Reaction score
This is almost EXACTLY what I thought would happen:

1) We re-sign Geno
2) We pay him more than anyone else would (my hunch...we almost always do for our own)
3) We keep our options open (we can move on after a few years, even draft a QB if we want)
4) Geno gets the payday he's always thought he should get (but not the last 5 years or so)

At least we have options, Geno's happy, and we're not panicked about our QB situation.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Don't forget, there's a huge difference between cash paid and cap usage.

IF (and it's still not confirmed) he gets $52 million in cash, he could easily have a cap hit of $18 million next season.
I would have gone $90 million over 3 years. Pay him $40m this year and $25m the next 2.
Why would you pay $100M for a QB just to immediately waste a top 5 draft pick on another QB? They are going to build for Geno. QBs are drafted to start nowadays, not sit on the bench hoping they're Aaron Rodgers.
Best case scenario is this. When Geno and Pete are gone hopefully there's something left. Right now build for Geno on defense help him out no other choice. Taking a QB at 5 makes no sense now.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Which is exactly what my replies are talking about. Geno wasn't a major reason we got swept and the one half where we had a lead was greatly on Geno's back. They're a better team than we are, period. Having consistency at QB and the ability to focus on greatly improving a bad defense and that is only going to increase our chances of not getting swept.
So, hmm, it's your contention that it's Geno's fault that the Defense SH*T THE BED???
Look Fatty, even the great Russell Wilson in his 2nd trip to the Super Bowl couldn't COVER for the LOB giving up a 10 point cushion to Tommy & the Pats, am I right???, you KNOW I am.

seabowl

Reaction score
As I said, during the season, Geno is a contributor on a team, but in my opinion, he cannot carry a team. If the team around him isn’t good enough, then he is definitely not a difference maker to carry them on his back. He’s a stop gap.

CPHawk

Reaction score
As I said, during the season, Geno is a contributor on a team, but in my opinion, he cannot carry a team. If the team around him isn’t good enough, then he is definitely not a difference maker to carry them on his back. He’s a stop gap.
What QBs can carry a team that has a terrible D? Brady always had a good D. The Chiefs D was solid. Our D went stretches of not even being able to tackle.

HawkeyGoalie

Reaction score
I can see Geno as an improved Tavaris Jackson, holding the fort down while Pete and John rebuild the rest of the team and groom a future QB. But if Geno can still channel his 2022 season mojo, along with some good draft picks and maybe some lucky FA signings I think we can be highly competitive during 2023

FortWorthSeahawk

Reaction score
Not really. Geno Smith is on the wrong side of 30 and has a history of not performing in crunch time dating back all the way to college. Smith also regressed quite a bit near the end of the season. His last five games in particular were brutal.

Geno Smith is nothing but a placeholder for us.

We're in a position in which we can pick up a potentially elite passer. As Pete himself said "this is a rare opportunity". Seattle is never winning or competing for a SuperBowl with Geno Smith under center.
Wait...32 is the wrong side of 30? Pretty small window to be in your 'prime 30s' if that's the case.

I agree though that he is likely not the long term plan and this does in no way keep us from drafting a QB in the draft this year.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
3 year plan is Geno. Ya'll better get real comfortable with it and adjust your expectations on drafts. We literally made the playoffs this year and too many people are pretending like we went 3-14 and "hope" to build for the future. We win now. Draft pieces that make you win NOW.

Geno is Pete's last attempt at a Super Bowl. Our next QB is probably a freshmen in college.

toffee

Reaction score
Geno Smith must buy Russell a burger, heck burgers. if Russell didn't insist on leaving, Geno will still be a backup and may be forever. With that, Geno mustn't go cheap, half pound burger with all the toppings Wilson wants, no quarter pound cheapies. Wilson earned that half pound burger, come to think of it, buy Ciara a half pounder too. The way Wilson looks these days, he probably can eat a few just for lunch, but he earned it, didn't he.

Geno, call Wilson now.

Last edited:

toffee

Reaction score
LOL he carried the team last year!!!
What was seabowl talking about? No QB can single handedly carry a team, your pass couldn't be completed if your WR has butter finger etc., This is a team sport, a QB is the heart and soul of the team, he can carry a team but making and executing the right decisions, but it's not a sport where a single player can dictate a game.

massari

Reaction score
Apparently there's still a chance he could be suspended for 3 games for a DUI.

They're still waiting for the toxicology reports because he refused to take a breath test from when he was driving erratically, and changing lanes without signaling while going 96 MPH in a 60 zone, reeking of booze.

Should be interesting, almost as interesting to hear what his cap numbers will be.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I’m perfectly fine with Geno being our QB1 for the next few years…

IF…

Our running back room doesn’t continue to turn into a M*A*S*H unit.

We nail this draft like we did last year. In this case it would be beefing up our trenches.

If Geno doesn’t have to be one dimensional like he had to be the last month of the season due to injuries at the RB position and a bottom ranked D, he could take us deep into the playoffs, absolutely.

If our D can rank middle of the pack and our RBs can stay healthy, I don’t see any reason why Geno can’t be a top 10 if not 5 QB.

chris98251

Reaction score
All the what are we going to do last year when Wilson traded, we have no high picks, nobody on the Roster but Eason, woe is me., Then Geno plays like he played in College or close to it, get Pro Bowl selection, takes us to playoffs, now we have Woe as me what are we going to do, we have a QB that broke records left and right, replaced Wilson Mr. Unlimited, led the team, and did so with huge pressure on him to succeed, broken running game and a sieve for a defense. Lets not resign, lets draft a guy and break him before he can be successful and learn something, or better yet sign Tom Brady or Jimmy Grappalo.

Good thing we were unhealthy at the end of the year, few teams were licking their chops to play us by week ten.

But yeah, signing Geno on a pretty friendly deal was a bad choice, could have gone after Aaron Rodgers I guess also, out that in your Salary Cap and smoke it.

bileever

Reaction score
This was the only way to go. It's always going to be more money than you want to spend, but he's getting less money per year and for fewer years than Derek Carr ($37.5 million vs. $35 million). I'd rather have Geno than Derek Carr any day. He's getting less money than Kyler Murray and less than Dak Prescott. He's basically getting Jared Goff money ($33.5 per year). So I think it's fair, and hopefully it's structured so that there's room under the cap for other nice things.

flv2

Reaction score
Smith isn't a bargain with the numbers that have been bandied about. However, it takes all the pressure off the Seahawks with the #5 pick. If the value at that spot is a QB and there's a willing trade partner you trade back into the 2024 Draft, if not you take the value QB, and if the value is on defense you take the defensive player. Hypothetically the #5 pick in 2023 is worth the equivalent of the anticipated #16 picks in 2024 & 2025 plus the #48 pick in 2023. Only take the QB at #5 this year if you have to.

themunn

Reaction score
This looks like a good deal for both sides IMO.

Geno gets 35m a year, same APY Wilson was making 4 years ago when he re-sign Ed, except total cap is 20% higher today than it was then and so it's not as big a proportion of total team cap.

We are also only roped in for 3 years so plenty of time to find the QB of the future. The 3 year contract makes me think we almost certainly draft a top QB prospect this year - if he is ready to start in the next 2 years then Geno has trade value with either 1 or 2 years left on his contract, no bloat, and he gets an opportunity for a 2nd big payday down the line

Latest posts