Geno Trade Value?

NoGain

Reaction score
Yeah, my guess is we get a 3rd rounder at best if the circumstances are right, and as low as a 5th rounder otherwise, or something like that. It really all depends upon the circumstances of the market at the time.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
I'd trade Lock first.

I never once thought Geno was our future. But I want to draft a QB, and am more than comfortable having Geno start while the new guy learns, and I think Geno would be a better mentor than Lock.
Agreed. Geno throws a beautiful ball, has good accuracy, can read defenses reasonably well, makes some clutch under the radar audibles, and has shown he can lead game winning drives.

Lock has an inaccurate cannon. But has shown he can run an offense reasonably well, just not at Geno's level.

Last edited:

Hawknight

Reaction score
Lock is a FA after March, unless we re-sign him. I imagine he'll be looking for a starting gig somewhere, or at least a shot at it. A lot depends on who we bring in as OC.
Locks never been given a fair opportunity IMHO with a stable or even capable coach. Just perhaps with the right OC Lock could possibly thrive under the right circumstances and a great coach.

sutz

Reaction score
Locks never been given a fair opportunity IMHO with a stable or even capable coach. Just perhaps with the right OC Lock could possibly thrive under the right circumstances and a great coach.
I always got a vibe that John thinks of Lock as a QB with potential. We'll know more if they try to re-sign him.

I kind of support that BTW.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
Not only that, but he hasn't been given the advantage that Geno has -- all the pre-season and regular-season practices with the 1's, the gameplan prep as starter, etc. All of that is very valuable to a QB.

Jville

Reaction score
Lock is a FA after March, unless we re-sign him. I imagine he'll be looking for a starting gig somewhere, or at least a shot at it. A lot depends on who we bring in as OC.

March 13th @ 1:00pm Pacific is when the current contract year ends and the 2024 contract year follows.

An open competition seems probable in developing a new Offensive Coordinator / Quarterback relationship. The process of team building restarts every year. Lock is free to chose where he wants to compete. A lot of unknowns in play beyond our vantage point.

Jville

Reaction score
Geno's roster bonus is due March 18th. That date follows the Senior Bowl and the Scouting Combine. So, there is no immediate urgency to make a move.

It's been my observation that timing and circumstance typically dictate personnel value and outcomes. In any case, a lot in play among teams and agents. Much, of which, goes unreported.

seabowl

Reaction score
Notbody is trading for Geno to be their starter. 6th rounder for backup insurance reasons only

toffee

Reaction score
I think the most they'd get for him is a 4th rounder sadly.
He was signed by the Hawks as a FA backup, if we could get a late 3rd or early 4th, we have done well. Geno may have another one or two good seasons, but one never knows.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
Agreed. Geno throws a beautiful ball, has good accuracy, can read defenses reasonably well, makes some clutch under the radar audibles, and has shown he can lead game winning drives.

Lock has an inaccurate cannon. But has shown he can run an offense reasonably well, just not at Geno's level.
Again..... I want to point out that Geno will be learning a whole new offense from scratch.

Any advantage he had is now nullified.

New scheme, new plays, new faces, etc.

Parallax

Reaction score
If a team were willing to give us anything for Geno, I'd want to take it. I don't think he's worth what he's set to be paid on his current contract. He's a backup or a low-level starter, and no one is paying him $20M+ to serve in that role. If I'm wrong, great. Take whatever we can get. If there are no offers by the day his 2024 contract would be guaranteed, just cut him and be done. Let another team sign him to a lower contract. We can too but I hope we don't.