Going to Green Bay!

Subzero717

Reaction score
Vetamur":1v1zkb74 said:
ptisme":1v1zkb74 said:
Vetamur":1v1zkb74 said:
Im more than likely going to that game as well with a couple friends. I went to the playoff game in the snow there after the '07 season. Dont have many tips..I flew into Chicago and drove up, stayed in a reasonable but clean motel that I dont remember the name of.

Most of the fans are cool, and theres some cool football history to see around the stadium.

I suspect the fans wont be as cool this time around -- partly because of the history since that game and partly because of how Seattle is perceived now. Still, its a fan base secure in its fanhood and there is a distinct lack of idiots about.
I would advise you to stay in downtown Appleton this time. Preferably the Radisson Paper Valley on College Ave (that's where your team will stay)... Lots of fun bars and you should find a large contingent of Seahawks fans there.... Also, you will be treated well, we have the utmost respect for your team (hey, Wilson and John Schneider are our guys)...

Also there will be the occasional drunk loud mouth idiot that will give you crap (like everyone has).... Just be the bigger man and Packer fans will take care of him for you and buy you a cocktail:)

While you are here, try to eat at a supper club... That's a Wisconsin thing but it's something you must do along with the stadium tour and the Packer Hall of Fame... Good luck and PM me if you have any ?'s

Thanks for the advice! Appreciated!

Against my better judgement I will too.
Largent80":1v1zkb74 said:
Goin to Dal-ASS.

ptisme

Reaction score
Like I said, try to get to Lambeau the day before (in the AM) to get tix for the Stadium tour. While you are waiting check out the Packer HOF-Steeped in tradition....

The night before the game I'd check out a WI supper club such as Mark's East Side or Dick and Joan's: both short cab rides..
Downtown Appleton at night you have Cleos: Great drinks.
Later you can go for music at Mill Creek (80's), Anduzzi's or "The Bar".....-Within walking distance of the Paper Valley
If you like beer I'd STONGLY suggest checking out the Stone Cellar (short cab ride). Good WI local brewery....

For the folks staying at the holiday inn, walk one block north to: World of Beer-check out the shrimp tacos...

About 3-4 hours before the game you can watch the players get on the buses that head to Lambeau...

ptisme

Reaction score
Also if any of you are bringing your clubs.... WI is a top 10 golf state... I can recommend some courses....

PackerNation

Reaction score
ptisme":u9jj5qof said:
Also if any of you are bringing your clubs.... WI is a top 10 golf state... I can recommend some courses....

You are so right. Texas has some great courses where I live but I miss the WI courses. Maybe I'll fly up early this year and get 18 holes in.

Will you be at the game? We are playing a pretty good size tailgate again this year.

ptisme

Reaction score
PackerNation":2ih5utnp said:
ptisme":2ih5utnp said:

You are so right. Texas has some great courses where I live but I miss the WI courses. Maybe I'll fly up early this year and get 18 holes in.

Will you be at the game? We are playing a pretty good size tailgate again this year.
I don't know yet... It's between Seattle and Dallas... You're going to be there?

PackerNation

Reaction score
ptisme":1jj3v8wf said:
PackerNation":1jj3v8wf said:
ptisme":1jj3v8wf said:

I don't know yet... It's between Seattle and Dallas... You're going to be there?

Almost for sure. I have a line on some tickets for Thanksgiving as well so we (my wife and I) might be at one or both games.

I have been to Dallas for a game. Actually, a couple of games and the stadium is really huge. If I had to pick, I would go to Lambeau in a heart beat. I had great seats in Dallas for the epic comeback game with Flynn but even then, you find yourself staring at the monster screen instead of the field.

Lots of Packer fans there but I would rather be in Lambeau.

ptisme

Reaction score
PackerNation":2igm71mf said:
ptisme":2igm71mf said:
PackerNation":2igm71mf said:
ptisme":2igm71mf said:

Almost for sure. I have a line on some tickets for Thanksgiving as well so we (my wife and I) might be at one or both games.

I have been to Dallas for a game. Actually, a couple of games and the stadium is really huge. If I had to pick, I would go to Lambeau in a heart beat. I had great seats in Dallas for the epic comeback game with Flynn but even then, you find yourself staring at the monster screen instead of the field.

Lots of Packer fans there but I would rather be in Lambeau.
Lots of people who have been to different stadiums say Lambeau is the best football venue....

PackerNation

Reaction score
ptisme":3e19ojxl said:
Lots of people who have been to different stadiums say Lambeau is the best football venue....

I would have to agree with completely. If you get a chance, try Pittsburg and Houston. They were both pretty good with New Orleans a fun place to watch games. Still, I'll always go back to Lambeau as my 1st choice.

NorthVanHawker

Reaction score
I've been to Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Buffalo, San Fran, Oakland and Seattle so far....

Seattle is head and shoulders above the rest and oddly enough our hated rival San Fran is by far the worst atmosphere...I will never pay money to go back to San Fran....Went to a Sunday Nighter and they were silent.

The other spots are all good and would pay to go but passion/noise factor....Nowhere close to the CLINK.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
ptisme":34bzg8e0 said:
This largely depends on your definition. You can take the history there and stick it in a new stadium and that's the main reason behind those that say that. Lambeau itself is a meh stadium and the crowd's not particularly loud, and yes, I've attended a game there. If you want an objective opinion from a neutral fan (neutral to our teams, he's a Bills fan) that actually attended games at every NFL stadium in the country, then look here: http://www.nflfootballstadiums.com/

Here are his reviews for our two respective stadiums:

http://www.nflfootballstadiums.com/Qwest-Field.htm
http://www.nflfootballstadiums.com/LambeauField.htm

I'd apologize that he ranks our house as #1, except I wouldn't mean it.

PackerNation

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":bt4qmc8f said:

No apology necessary. I have been to both (and a bunch of others) and Lambeau is better. We can also get pretty loud but then we have never been accused of pumping noise into our stadium, so ours is real noise.

There is no more-sacred playing field in football than Lambeau -- a.k.a., the "Frozen Tundra" -- where coach Vince Lombardi once stalked the sidelines. Tucked in a quiet neighborhood of tiny Green Bay, the 1950s-era stadium is a throwback to your father and grandfather's NFL. In a league increasingly dominated by highway-wrapped urban domes, it's a wholly unique experience. You may also be surprised that it's one of the largest and loudest. Lambeau should be a bucket-list destination.

I did a Google search and Lambeau comes up as the best stadium in the NFL and has it's fans rated as #1 as well. This goes hand in hand with our storied franchise history and celebrated distinction as "Title Town USA".

CLINK is pretty cool and something to be proud of. Thank God for Paul Allen and his billions of dollars to keep the team in Seattle and insist on building that stadium. He is a smart man.

I just grabbed a link at random:

http://sportsnaut.com/2014/08/power-ran ... edition/2/

For me, Lambeau is so much more than the game. It’s the closest thing the NFL has to a college atmosphere with the tailgating and party atmosphere. Green Bay shuts down for Packers Sundays. And once you’re actually inside, the stadium itself is dripping with tradition. You see the ring of honor with all-time great names. It’s a reminder that Packers history is NFL history and the two are inextricably linked"

There is very little doubt that this stadium, as historical as it is, deserves to be No. 1 on this list.

Green Bay is the shrine of NFL stadiums. I doubt Seattle even comes in at #2, Arizona has pretty great stadium and Pittsburgh is underrated as well. Steeler country is just dripping with football legends and trophies and football mystic.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
The NFL cleared us, and the Giants only accused us because they were butt-hurt that they succumbed to 11 false starts in one game in our house. Think what you will.

I was in the process of typing up a lengthy retort, but I'm not going to bother. I don't want to derail the thread. Think what you will. :)

PackerNation

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":hvvd5dqg said:
The NFL cleared us, and the Giants only accused us because they were butt-hurt that they succumbed to 11 false starts in one game in our house. Think what you will.

I thought it was more along the lines of 3 separate accusations but it was never proven, or as you say, it was cleared by the NFL. I know Atlanta just got busted and a few other teams are coming under fire so we'll have to see how the crowd level noise is this year around the NFL, now that teams are officially put on notice.

But as you said, Seattle was cleared by the NFL.

I think the "watered down beer" scandal puts a damper on Seattle trying to vie for the #1 stadium in the NFL. We tailgated and brought our own beer (good bier!!) so I can't say if they do it or not but it was certainly making news last year. Markup on beer in Century Link is something like 710%, so watering it down would be insult to injury.

I was in the process of typing up a lengthy retort, but I'm not going to bother. I don't want to derail the thread. Think what you will. :)

Seattle has an excellent stadium and I am glad I went. It was very enjoyable, just not on par with "The Shrine".

PackerNation

Reaction score
NorthVanHawker":efngjnv6 said:
I've been to Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Buffalo, San Fran, Oakland and Seattle so far....

Seattle is head and shoulders above the rest and oddly enough our hated rival San Fran is by far the worst atmosphere...I will never pay money to go back to San Fran....Went to a Sunday Nighter and they were silent.

The other spots are all good and would pay to go but passion/noise factor....Nowhere close to the CLINK.

I thought Oakland was worse than San Fran. Candlestick Park I thought was alright. I felt like the crowds in Oakland lacked "electricity" and were more on the verge of a riot.

The "el Sombrero" in Tampa was pretty bad too.

ptisme

Reaction score
NorthVanHawker":2e10gbcf said:

I've heard fans dressed in Packer gear at San Fran were verbally and physically harassed.... I'm not talking one guy going after one guy, I'm talking a group of thugs going after a guy and his girlfriend...
And I've heard multiple fans with the same complaint....

ptisme

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2ddnel7p said:
ptisme":2ddnel7p said:
This largely depends on your definition. You can take the history there and stick it in a new stadium and that's the main reason behind those that say that. Lambeau itself is a meh stadium and the crowd's not particularly loud, and yes, I've attended a game there. If you want an objective opinion from a neutral fan (neutral to our teams, he's a Bills fan) that actually attended games at every NFL stadium in the country, then look here: http://www.nflfootballstadiums.com/

Here are his reviews for our two respective stadiums:

http://www.nflfootballstadiums.com/Qwest-Field.htm
http://www.nflfootballstadiums.com/LambeauField.htm

I don't doubt Quest would be awesome to see a game at... But I do recall some years back, when Seattle wasn't very good, Packer fans took over out there.... When we were horrible in the 80's, that NEVER happened to the Packers where an opposing team's fans came and took over Lambeau.... Never....