Greg Olsen Signed to 1 Year Deal

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
IndyHawk":ndbminys said:
scutterhawk":ndbminys said:
Grahamhawker":ndbminys said:
How'd the last aging TE we got from the Panthers work out again?
If he can be had for a reasonable contract, & not demand ridiculous money like Jimmy Graham did, then, I'm okay with giving him a shot.
JG was a trade and his contract was already set before hand

IMO the REAL price we paid for Graham was our all-world center and the result was the Saints immediately took off big time while we slid down the ladder.
Re-sign Britt and hit the draft for a TE.

Largent80

Reaction score
We need players to be able to play. Dickson was an absolute waste of space this year. Olson is 34 and his job is to go down the seam. He's been very injured the last few years and missed 18 games, and a concussion was one of them. He's also a subpar blocker, it's not his gig.

Just No.....Have a viable player in that spot that isn't one hit away from retirement. Hooper would be too expensive but Howard may be had for a draft pick. That would be the way I would go.

Plus I would draft either Ruiz or Cushenberry at center and that spot would be manned for years to come. Add an OG, and in this deep WR draft get one.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
IndyHawk":w0goyrtf said:
scutterhawk":w0goyrtf said:
Grahamhawker":w0goyrtf said:
How'd the last aging TE we got from the Panthers work out again?
If he can be had for a reasonable contract, & not demand ridiculous money like Jimmy Graham did, then, I'm okay with giving him a shot.
JG was a trade and his contract was already set before hand
Yea, but it was "Set" for too much,& why he wasn't re-signed by the Seahawks + he wasn't a MUCH NEEDED "Blocking" TE, & what skillsets he had, were misused by Bevell.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Largent80":2dee9lhk said:
Plus I would draft either Ruiz or Cushenberry at center and that spot would be manned for years to come. Add an OG, and in this deep WR draft get one.

I would normally consent with this notion. But it would depend on how the draft unfolds. Right now, Ruiz and Cush are hot -- in fact the OC class, which is good is hot throughout. I am not a fan of drafting an OC in R1/R2. The hit rate is generally poor, and the value/return even if you do hit is poor.

Hit rate is less than 50% for OCs, and OGs that convert to OC in R1/R2 going back 5 years. That's significantly subpar. Although hits/misses tend to be in groups and some classes are good, while maybe half are complete whiffs.

The combine generally changes things up a bit. I would hope the OC outlook cools some. As is, I would not advocate OC early, as those two guys are going to be gone before #59. But if the run starts around #50 overall -- that would open that option considerably.

Largent80

Reaction score
I could give a rip about stats regarding hits/misses. Imagine what marriage stats would be in that regard.

When you watch tape and games, you can get it.

Those 2 are going to be solid for years to come, you can argue but, ok whatever. Get ONE of them and don't blow the chance.

John63

Reaction score
Not sure Olsen is the answer. Age, money, et. Are huge concerns.

vigilantgrrl

Reaction score
Please don't sign him Remember the last Panther tight end we signed? Ed Dickson???? Always on IR and unreliable. A big waste of money too. Hardly a bargain.

JPC4Days

Reaction score
Jville":2tjx89nc said:
I've admired Olsen's play for some time. He isn't any older than our left tackle and he contributed 807 offensive snaps in 2019 .... more than any tight end on the Seahawks roster. He would be a helpful addition on an incentive laden contract.

Exactly .. the guy ran a 4.5 coming out of Miami and after watching some of his play from last year .. it's obvious he can still move pretty good.. Love .. love uncle will but he has yet to play a full year .. also a fan of hollister but he is more of a move tight end .. keeping 4 tight ends with Olson, Dissly, Hollister and a draft pick maybe that small school kid that did well at the Senior bowl.

would make me happy if we could bring him in on a reasonable one year deal.

4 tight ends stresses the 53 but maybe hollister can fill in a little bit at fullback to ease that a bit .. i like it make it so ...
oh Adam Trautman is the name of the potential draft pick .. was one of the better blocking tight ends and route runners ... during the week.

what do i know but sounds like a plan for a pretty good tight end room.

i

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Big fan of Trautman. He has a real knack/quality of getting silly open in the seams/middle. Is an ex quarterback, and clearly reads defenses on the move well. Extremely adept at anticipating where the holes in the zone are and sitting in them properly. For Seattle, his value could be heightened as he should be able to succeed mightily in scramble drills -- a trait that leverages value for us (Wilson) more than almost all other teams.

Has deceptive size and length. Very good hands and plucks the ball aggressively. Isn't near the blocker Dissly is. Not asked or tested to do much in this regard. Has frame to improve in this regard. May not factor as a Y end until year 3.

Problem will be, that it may take our 3rd round comp to get him. At that range, we're passing on a really good WR or OG. May be too rich a cost. He's right in the same range as some really good talent:

Solomon Kindley - OG
Bryan Edwards - WR
Jeremy Chinn - S
Alex Highsmith - Edge

And I'm sure that'll shuffle around. But even at this early stage, there is a big difference between "I like this guy", and "I like him over the other alternatives".

EDIT: As far as the OP is concerned, I like the Olsen move. Low risk, and likely an easily assumable cost. Zero draft capital cost. Almost any TE we'd opt for in UFA has to be considered a trade as it'll cost us a comp pick. He's a possible two way hedge: One, in case Dissly misses significant time. Two, in case a TE doesn't fall into our laps in day 3. Allows us to punt the TE issue another year which is valuable.

JPC4Days

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2oubsivr said:
Big fan of Trautman. He has a real knack/quality of getting silly open in the seams/middle. Is an ex quarterback, and clearly reads defenses on the move well. Extremely adept at anticipating where the holes in the zone are and sitting in them properly. For Seattle, his value could be heightened as he should be able to succeed mightily in scramble drills -- a trait that leverages value for us (Wilson) more than almost all other teams.

Has deceptive size and length. Very good hands and plucks the ball aggressively. Isn't near the blocker Dissly is. Not asked or tested to do much in this regard. Has frame to improve in this regard. May not factor as a Y end until year 3.

Problem will be, that it may take our 3rd round comp to get him. At that range, we're passing on a really good WR or OG. May be too rich a cost. He's right in the same range as some really good talent:

Solomon Kindley - OG
Bryan Edwards - WR
Jeremy Chinn - S
Alex Highsmith - Edge

And I'm sure that'll shuffle around. But even at this early stage, there is a big difference between "I like this guy", and "I like him over the other alternatives".

EDIT: As far as the OP is concerned, I like the Olsen move. Low risk, and likely an easily assumable cost. Zero draft capital cost. Almost any TE we'd opt for in UFA has to be considered a trade as it'll cost us a comp pick. He's a possible two way hedge: One, in case Dissly misses significant time. Two, in case a TE doesn't fall into our laps in day 3. Allows us to punt the TE issue another year which is valuable.

yah I am hoping he doesn't run sub 4.7 but with all the solid explosion, excellent agility .. Dissly had. at that point .. if he is 4.7 people are like solid 40 but if he runs under .. he might become ..the crush of some team in the second round ... maybe i am wrong about that .. he is still a small school guy with a lot to prove.

i do disagree with the y te taking three years ... i saw him dumping plenty of dudes during the year ... on there ass pancake style. You would think yah well those guys he pancaked during the year are going to be accountants not NFL players .. and that's fair. However then I hear about him being the best blocking te at the senior bowl... ok not a lot of college te can block period.

Then I watched the game and to begin the game he pancakes his guy .. so that doesn't suck. He fell off some blocks but he looks stout and has the size and want to....he admitted he has some teq work to do but the raw tools are there.. and that is kinda why I would like Olson on reasonable deal as a buffer.

I hope we draft him and John is like we thought he was one of the best blocking te in the draft and he is an excellent receiver too .. the guy played QB in high school .. and has not been at the position that long so we see a ton of upside .. that kind of deal.

I have no idea .. all I really know is the Seahawk's offense looks good when you have a 6th offensive lineman like Dissly that is an excellent receiver as well. His 4.8 forty doesn't mean anything .. when your getting ready to deal with him in the run game and all of a sudden he uses his short area quickness to side step you and now he has a five yard head start.

to have that beast blocking te that can also catch like a beast ... is like in mma when a guy can strike .. but also take you you down the other guy .. can't get comfortable .. because he is worried about the take down.

not sure if .. what i just said will make sense to people that read .. it .. so I will just say love what Dissly brings to the offense .. as a 6th offensive lineman and I want more of that for depth.

I am not sure that is this guy but it's slim pickings .. with all the move te's and he has some cool indicators that he is in the ball park of that mold.

i

massari

Reaction score
I'd rather sign Tyler Eifert than Olsen. Eifert is a good pass and run blocker, and will likely still have close to a $4M cap hit like Olsen.

Then we pray Eifert or Dissly can make through the season healthy.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
JPC4Days":1xws6xpy said:
I have no idea .. all I really know is the Seahawk's offense looks good when you have a 6th offensive lineman like Dissly that is an excellent receiver as well. His 4.8 forty doesn't mean anything .. when your getting ready to deal with him in the run game and all of a sudden he uses his short area quickness to side step you and now he has a five yard head start.

Yes.

JPC4Days":1xws6xpy said:
I am not sure that is this guy but it's slim pickings .. with all the move te's and he has some cool indicators that he is in the ball park of that mold.
i

And yes again.

I'm also not entirely sure we're not going to reach on a TE either. Last year, it seemed that the Dissly prototypes came off the board early and often. The run on them probably starts mid second round and fills out through 100th overall. Not sure we can expect much if we wait until our 4th round pick.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
" Not sure we can expect much if we wait until our 4th round pick."
Nor do I.
Pete and John seem to really like have a big rookie class. And they've pulled off some big scores that way. But by % I think not so much. I'd like to see them pool some of those later picks to trade up and get a few really solid picks this time around.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1228317763577536512[/tweet]

TreeRon

Reaction score
Sac":3fgk7nfu said:
Yooo Dissly is going to be a beast next year.
For at least 1-3 games.

Wasn't Kittle a mid round pick ?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I'd place a good wager that he doesn't end up here, and that this is just Pete and John driving up the price.

It seems like if a guy wants to come here, he does.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I love Olsen’s game but I think it’s proven that older veteran players can’t stand up to the beatings in practice and games that occur in Pete’s system.

kf3339

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":32vez6r1 said:
I'd place a good wager that he doesn't end up here, and that this is just Pete and John driving up the price.

It seems like if a guy wants to come here, he does.

True. If he wants a chance to make the Super Bowl he is not acting like it. The Skins and Bills are not close to being ready. Negotiating with them means money is his interest. Not a chance for a ring. We should be looking somewhere else.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
We don't need another old injury prone TE.
PASS.