How would you grade the Seahawks 2015 draft?

Draft grade for Seahawks 2015 draft

• A

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • B

Votes: 54 48.2%
  • C

Votes: 22 19.6%
  • D

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • F

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
DavidSeven":ix7e6ucq said:
I like the players we grabbed well enough, but I'm not thrilled with the Return On Investment. We came in with 11 picks, most of them in the middle rounds -- that's a ton of draft capital. Could we have still gotten Clark and Lockett and kept maybe an additional 4th, if not more?

Only on this forum do fans of a Super Bowl contender worry about a 4th-round pick. ;)

kidhawk

Reaction score
I'm fairly satisfied with out picks. They went after players in positions we needed to fill. Before the draft, I asked for Offensive Line, Defensive Line, Defensive Back and receiver and that is pretty much what we got. How the talent plays out is yet to be seen, but I trust JS/PC to know better than I which players fit their schemes. I can't wait to see how they pan out come August.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
rideaducati":teea3dz3 said:
:thirishdrinkers:
Hawkfan77":teea3dz3 said:
TheRealDTM":teea3dz3 said:
Once again players are good and obviously guys they like. Once again I think they completely mismanaged draft capital.

C+
Why do you think they mismanaged draft capital?

He has a staff that watches every snap of every player and he knows what Pete Carroll and John Schneider need more than Pete Carroll and John Schneider do. He also has access to every draft board in the NFL so he knows when and where to draft every player. He has interviewed every player that is eligible to draft. His staff has talked to every coach and teacher that the player has ever had to determine his character like Pete and his staff has. He's just better at everything than Pete and his staff. He was Paul Allen's first choice to hire, but Paul Allen couldn't afford him. He can also win the lottery jackpot any time he wants.

I am his PR rep and I do it for free because he is the only perfect man in the World.

nailed it, A+ grade.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1hzl0zji said:
DavidSeven":1hzl0zji said:
I like the players we grabbed well enough, but I'm not thrilled with the Return On Investment. We came in with 11 picks, most of them in the middle rounds -- that's a ton of draft capital. Could we have still gotten Clark and Lockett and kept maybe an additional 4th, if not more?

Only on this forum do fans of a Super Bowl contender worry about a 4th-round pick. ;)

Our front office's historic ability unearth gems in the 4th and 5th rounds definitely plays a big factor in my disappointment in letting those picks go! Wouldn't care as much under the Ruskell regime where those picks would go to waste anyway.

ducks41468

Reaction score
I'd give it a B/B+, and a solid A if you include Graham. I like the Clark/Poole/Glowinski/Smith/Sokoli picks. My only real complaint is what we gave up to get Lockett, though I like him and think he has the talent to become a starter on this team within a year or two.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The total cost of the Tyler Lockett acquisition was equal to the 7th pick in the third round according to the traditional chart. #95, #112, #167, #181 = 233.6 points.

The number of picks makes it seem like a big investment but it is really less of an investment than any of the first and second rounders we have drafted previously.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
AgentDib":2dmqgibr said:
The total cost of the Tyler Lockett acquisition was equal to the 7th pick in the third round according to the traditional chart. #95, #112, #167, #181 = 233.6 points.

The number of picks makes it seem like a big investment but it is really less of an investment than any of the first and second rounders we have drafted previously.

The traditional value chart is junk . . . it's why we are almost always looking to trade down for more picks. Every player has a probability of success. More picks means more opportunities, which means a higher overall probability of finding successful players.

xgeoff

Reaction score
kearly":10ari933 said:
Poole kind of seemed like a whiff to me, but also seemed like a guy you could maybe coach into being another James Carpenter if we get lucky.

Ugh, that is not a good thing :cry:

rideaducati

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2f9ce0vu said:
AgentDib":2f9ce0vu said:

The traditional value chart is junk . . . it's why we are almost always looking to trade down for more picks. Every player has a probability of success. More picks means more opportunities, which means a higher overall probability of finding successful players.

That is how Baalke does it, but quantity does not guarantee quality. Just look at the forty picks Baalke has made in the past three years.

When a team wants a guy, why risk losing him just to keep extra picks to pick guys that probably won't make the team anyway? They got their guy and were comfortable with what they gave up to get him. It's not like they gave up first round picks for the next three drafts.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
rideaducati":208j9h3c said:
hawknation2015":208j9h3c said:
AgentDib":208j9h3c said:

That is how Baalke does it, but quantity does not guarantee quality. Just look at the forty picks Baalke has made in the past three years.

When a team wants a guy, why risk losing him just to keep extra picks to pick guys that probably won't make the team anyway? They got their guy and were comfortable with what they gave up to get him. It's not like they gave up first round picks for the next three drafts.

Baalke's worst draft, in 2012, had just seven players. Fortunately, we haven't had a draft with just seven players since the Aaron Curry draft.

I do feel there was a significant opportunity cost in not selecting Lockett at No. 63 and waiting until No. 95 to pick Clark. People think Clark would have been selected in the 3rd Round . . . I just disagree given his two arrests, his mere five sacks last season, and 4.79 40 time. And if Clark was selected, I would have been more than happy with Trey Flowers or Davis Tull. It ultimately meant three fewer chances to find another elite player.

rideaducati

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2qpmwypm said:
rideaducati":2qpmwypm said:
hawknation2015":2qpmwypm said:
AgentDib":2qpmwypm said:

Baalke's worst draft, in 2012, had just seven players. Fortunately, we haven't had a draft with just seven players since the Aaron Curry draft.

I do feel there was a significant opportunity cost in not selecting Lockett at No. 63 and waiting until No. 95 to pick Clark. It ultimately means three fewer chances to find another elite player.

It could also have meant not getting either player they specifically targeted.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
rideaducati":b1frsr3a said:
hawknation2015":b1frsr3a said:

I do feel there was a significant opportunity cost in not selecting Lockett at No. 63 and waiting until No. 95 to pick Clark. It ultimately means three fewer chances to find another elite player.

What do you mean not getting either? Lockett was available at No. 63.

I don't think Clark would have been selected in the 3rd Round . . . I just disagree with that assumption given his two arrests, his mere five sacks last season, and 4.79 40 time. And if Clark was selected, I would have been more than happy to get Trey Flowers or Davis Tull.

Ultimately, I just don't believe the risk of losing Clark (in exchange for someone like Flowers or Tull) was worth giving up three more players in the draft.

rideaducati

Reaction score
hawknation2015":h5va1gp4 said:
rideaducati":h5va1gp4 said:
hawknation2015":h5va1gp4 said:

I don't think Clark would have been selected in the 3rd Round . . . I just disagree with that assumption given his two arrests, his mere five sacks last season, and 4.79 40 time. And if Clark was selected, I would have been more than happy to get Trey Flowers or Davis Tull.

Ultimately, I just don't believe the risk of losing Clark (in exchange for someone like Flowers or Tull) was worth giving up three more players in the draft.

They didn't do it that way because then some idiot would say something along the lines of "why the hell would you take Lockett at 63? He would have been available later and they should have taken Clark!" "Why can't the Seahawks front office figure out that the draft was really deep at wide receiver? They let a really good DE get away."

hawknation2015

Reaction score
rideaducati":c2h81gbn said:
hawknation2015":c2h81gbn said:
rideaducati":c2h81gbn said:
hawknation2015":c2h81gbn said:

They didn't do it that way because then some idiot would say something along the lines of "why the hell would you take Lockett at 63? He would have been available later and they should have taken Clark!" "Why can't the Seahawks front office figure out that the draft was really deep at wide receiver? They let a really good DE get away."

They have shown pretty consistently that they don't care what reactions they get from their draft decisions. Lockett was almost certain to be gone by the middle half of the 3rd Round; they knew Houston wanted him. Clark, on the other hand, had some serious hangups that probably would have made him available at No. 95. It was a genuine tradeoff between giving up three picks and risking that Clark would be taken somewhere in the 3rd Round. Personally, I don't think they made the right tradeoff, but you are free to disagree.

rideaducati

Reaction score
rideaducati":20sd3hlc said:
hawknation2015":20sd3hlc said:

They have shown pretty consistently that they don't care what reactions they get from their draft decisions. Lockett was almost certain to be gone by the middle half of the 3rd Round; they knew Houston wanted him. Clark, on the other hand, had some serious hangups that probably would have made him available at No. 95. It was a genuine tradeoff between giving up three picks and risking that Clark would be taken somewhere in the 3rd Round. Personally, I don't think they made the right tradeoff, but you are free to disagree.

So, they KNEW someone wanted Lockett, but they had no idea if anyone liked Clark? They only did their homework for picks after the second round? Okay. I'm sure you're right. Besides bitching and moaning, what can you do about it now?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
rideaducati":38178778 said:
rideaducati":38178778 said:
hawknation2015":38178778 said:

So, they KNEW someone wanted Lockett, but they had no idea if anyone liked Clark? They only did their homework for picks after the second round? Okay. I'm sure you're right. Besides bitching and moaning, what can you do about it now?

Absolutely nothing, just stating my opinion. I think they tend to lock on to certain players at times, picking those specific players ahead of what I personally think are better players, i.e. trading down and picking Richardson last year when they could have had Bitonio.

Schneider knew a team was about to pick Lockett, but in comparison, his understanding of teams' interest in Clark around that range was sort of "vague." He thought there was a big drop-off in pass rushers after Clark, so it was a risk in that regard if Clark was picked before No. 95.

rideaducati

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1vdci1ae said:
rideaducati":1vdci1ae said:
rideaducati":1vdci1ae said:
hawknation2015":1vdci1ae said:

Absolutely nothing, just stating my opinion. I think they tend to lock on to certain players at times, picking those specific players ahead of what I personally think are better players, i.e. trading down and picking Richardson last year when they could have had Bitonio.

Schneider knew a team was about to pick Lockett, but in comparison, his understanding of teams' interest in Clark around that range was sort of "vague." He thought there was a big drop-off in pass rushers after Clark, so it was a risk in that regard if Clark was picked before No. 95.

If you understand teams' interest in players so much better than the Seahawks front office, why don't you offer them your services? If you are so much better at it than they are, I'm sure you should be paid.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
rideaducati":2mfmgo2u said:
hawknation2015":2mfmgo2u said:

If you understand teams' interest in players so much better than the Seahawks front office, why don't you offer them your services? If you are so much better at it than they are, I'm sure you should be paid.

No reason to be snide with one another. If we all agreed with everything the team did, there wouldn't be much need for this message board. Picking Clark as high as they did was a legit trade off that ultimately cost them three picks, but also eliminated the risk that they wouldn't get Clark. You think it was a good trade off, and I disagree. Let's leave it at that and move on.

rideaducati

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3ncbphnl said:
rideaducati":3ncbphnl said:
hawknation2015":3ncbphnl said:

No reason to be snide with one another. If we all agreed with everything the team did, there wouldn't be much need for this message board. Picking Clark as high as they did was a legit trade off that ultimately cost them three picks, but also eliminated the risk that they wouldn't get Clark. You think it was a good trade off, and I disagree. Let's leave it at that and move on.

I just think it is amusing that YOU know more about the draft than a man that puts THOUSANDS of hours each year into the draft. Not only that, but he has many people working for him that also put THOUSANDS of hours into scouting for him. He also has people that interview coaches and teachers all the way back to middle school for some of these players. He speaks to general managers across the league on a daily basis, yet YOU know more about what other teams have in mind when it comes to the draft.

That would be like me stating that I know your job better than you know your job. I probably DO know your job better than you know it because for you to know so much about the draft and all the players in it, you certainly don't have time left to do your job.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
rideaducati":2tfrm226 said:
hawknation2015":2tfrm226 said:
rideaducati":2tfrm226 said:
hawknation2015":2tfrm226 said:

I just think it is amusing that YOU know more about the draft than a man that puts THOUSANDS of hours each year into the draft. Not only that, but he has many people working for him that also put THOUSANDS of hours into scouting for him. He also has people that interview coaches and teachers all the way back to middle school for some of these players. He speaks to general managers across the league on a daily basis, yet YOU know more about what other teams have in mind when it comes to the draft.

That would be like me stating that I know your job better than you know your job. I probably DO know your job better than you know it because for you to know so much about the draft and all the players in it, you certainly don't have time left to do your job.

This is such a tired refrain every time someone has the audacity to disagree with a team decision. Not every decision Schneider makes is going to be 100% perfect 100% of the time. That doesn't mean anyone else knows better; it just means they disagree on the particular approach that was taken.

There are always tradeoffs with all of these decisions . . . and I don't trust anyone more than Schneider to navigate the process. Just like I wouldn't want anyone except Carroll as HC. Does that mean Carroll is perfect in everything he does and totally immune to criticism? You would have to be pretty mindless to think so.

You must think it also wrong to ever form an opinion on a political issue, since you lack the time and resources of a politician. What a narrow mindset that must be.