How would you grade the Seahawks 2015 draft?

Draft grade for Seahawks 2015 draft

• A

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • B

Votes: 54 48.2%
  • C

Votes: 22 19.6%
  • D

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • F

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters

CPHawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2jwmxu0b said:
rideaducati":2jwmxu0b said:
hawknation2015":2jwmxu0b said:
Baalke's worst draft, in 2012, had just seven players. Fortunately, we haven't had a draft with just seven players since the Aaron Curry draft.

I do feel there was a significant opportunity cost in not selecting Lockett at No. 63 and waiting until No. 95 to pick Clark. It ultimately means three fewer chances to find another elite player.

It could also have meant not getting either player they specifically targeted.

What do you mean not getting either? Lockett was available at No. 63.

I don't think Clark would have been selected in the 3rd Round . . . I just disagree with that assumption given his two arrests, his mere five sacks last season, and 4.79 40 time. And if Clark was selected, I would have been more than happy to get Trey Flowers or Davis Tull.

Ultimately, I just don't believe the risk of losing Clark (in exchange for someone like Flowers or Tull) was worth giving up three more players in the draft.

What would we do with three more players? That's just three more cuts, that someone else would pick up. The coaches wanted players in the 2-3 round who could help this team. What's so hard to understand? We don't have much room on this team.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
CPHawk":17o7n4uf said:
hawknation2015":17o7n4uf said:
rideaducati":17o7n4uf said:
hawknation2015":17o7n4uf said:
Baalke's worst draft, in 2012, had just seven players. Fortunately, we haven't had a draft with just seven players since the Aaron Curry draft.

I do feel there was a significant opportunity cost in not selecting Lockett at No. 63 and waiting until No. 95 to pick Clark. It ultimately means three fewer chances to find another elite player.

It could also have meant not getting either player they specifically targeted.

What do you mean not getting either? Lockett was available at No. 63.

I don't think Clark would have been selected in the 3rd Round . . . I just disagree with that assumption given his two arrests, his mere five sacks last season, and 4.79 40 time. And if Clark was selected, I would have been more than happy to get Trey Flowers or Davis Tull.

Ultimately, I just don't believe the risk of losing Clark (in exchange for someone like Flowers or Tull) was worth giving up three more players in the draft.

What would we do with three more players? That's just three more cuts, that someone else would pick up. The coaches wanted players in the 2-3 round who could help this team. What's so hard to understand? We don't have much room on this team.

I don't think it's nearly that black and white. If Schneider had three more picks, he would use them because that means more competition. That means perhaps drafting a player with experience snapping the ball, or a blocking TE, or an athletic LB to push Mike Morgan and Brock Coyle. Cutting players is not a bad thing when it makes the team better.

rideaducati

Reaction score
rideaducati":ymyoyu8a said:
hawknation2015":ymyoyu8a said:
I just think it is amusing that YOU know more about the draft than a man that puts THOUSANDS of hours each year into the draft. Not only that, but he has many people working for him that also put THOUSANDS of hours into scouting for him. He also has people that interview coaches and teachers all the way back to middle school for some of these players. He speaks to general managers across the league on a daily basis, yet YOU know more about what other teams have in mind when it comes to the draft.

That would be like me stating that I know your job better than you know your job. I probably DO know your job better than you know it because for you to know so much about the draft and all the players in it, you certainly don't have time left to do your job.

This is such a tired refrain every time someone has the audacity to disagree with a team decision. Not every decision Schneider makes is going to be 100% perfect 100% of the time. That doesn't mean anyone else knows better; it just means they disagree on the particular approach that was taken.

There are always tradeoffs with all these decisions . . . and I don't trust anyone more than Schneider to navigate the process. Just like I wouldn't want anyone except Carroll as HC. Does that mean Carroll is perfect in everything he does and totally immune to criticism? You would have to be pretty mindless to think so.

I understand disagreeing with team decisions, but you not only disagreed with what was done, you ASSUME it could have been done differently with better results. There is absolutely no way possible to prove your point correct...zero...none. If you had said that you would have taken someone else instead of the player picked, that would be one thing, but you didn't do that.

If you really believe you're as good as you think you are, put out the player you would have taken at each pick, but be realistic and only take players that WERE AVAILABLE when the pick was made. Don't get into things that you can't possibly prove like so and so would have been available 50 picks later. Let us see the picks you would have made instead. You won't be able to take any player that the Seahawks took because you assumed and you were wrong and they were gone. What were your picks if that happened? Quit trying to prove something you CAN'T.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
"This is such a tired refrain every time someone has the audacity to disagree with a team decision. Not every decision Schneider makes is going to be 100% perfect 100% of the time. That doesn't mean anyone else knows better; it just means they disagree on the particular approach that was taken.

There are always tradeoffs with all of these decisions . . . and I don't trust anyone more than Schneider to navigate the process. Just like I wouldn't want anyone except Carroll as HC. Does that mean Carroll is perfect in everything he does and totally immune to criticism? You would have to be pretty mindless to think so.

You must think it also wrong to ever form an opinion on a political issue, since you lack the time and resources of a politician. What a narrow mindset that must be.[/quote]"

Pretty much nailed it here.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
JS has said in interviews before that they do not draft on a pure best player available philosophy. They grade on a scale of who is already on their team(who are also graded) compared to who's on their board. In other words team needs are highly factored in when drafting. The Ravens on the other hand draft purely BPA and they have said as much. They refuse to fight their board so to speak.

Pete and John have a different philosophy and thats great and they have won with it. However it does lead to targeting of players and reaching at times. They don't care what others think I get that but when a guy like Bennet is available in the fifth freaking round it can be disappointing to see them pick a guy who may turn out great but most had pegged as undrafted. Not priority free agent but undrafted.

I'm sure Pete and John felt they had a big need at corner and this guy will succeed there so who cares what others think but there is a cost in that philosophy.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Natethegreat":df754dmb said:
hawknation2015":df754dmb said:
This is such a tired refrain every time someone has the audacity to disagree with a team decision. Not every decision Schneider makes is going to be 100% perfect 100% of the time. That doesn't mean anyone else knows better; it just means they disagree on the particular approach that was taken.

There are always tradeoffs with all of these decisions . . . and I don't trust anyone more than Schneider to navigate the process. Just like I wouldn't want anyone except Carroll as HC. Does that mean Carroll is perfect in everything he does and totally immune to criticism? You would have to be pretty mindless to think so.

You must think it also wrong to ever form an opinion on a political issue, since you lack the time and resources of a politician. What a narrow mindset that must be.
"

Pretty much nailed it here.

The formation of an opinion is not what you have done. You have formed a dream scenario and claimed it COULD have been done. There is no way to prove your dream scenario without traveling back in time and changing what actually happened.

Opinions are fine and can be discussed back and forth, but if you start with a dream scenario that can't be proven, what kind of discussion can be had?

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Bottom line...the Draft is totally subjective......at least at this point in time. At the post Draft press conference, John stated that they got two of their Top 3 players that they prized the most. That puts them at a B- or a C+ category by their own admission.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":2i7lcqks said:
Bottom line...the Draft is totally subjective......at least at this point in time. At the post Draft press conference, John stated that they got two of their Top 3 players that they prized the most. That puts them at a B- or a C+ category by their own admission.
Not really. You're basing your grade off of 2 rounds and the draft is 7 plus UDFA

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Natethegreat":ai8b1aea said:
JS has said in interviews before that they do not draft on a pure best player available philosophy. They grade on a scale of who is already on their team(who are also graded) compared to who's on their board. In other words team needs are highly factored in when drafting. The Ravens on the other hand draft purely BPA and they have said as much. They refuse to fight their board so to speak.

Pete and John have a different philosophy and thats great and they have won with it. However it does lead to targeting of players and reaching at times. They don't care what others think I get that but when a guy like Bennet is available in the fifth freaking round it can be disappointing to see them pick a guy who may turn out great but most had pegged as undrafted. Not priority free agent but undrafted.

I'm sure Pete and John felt they had a big need at corner and this guy will succeed there so who cares what others think but there is a cost in that philosophy.
I think what a guy is projected at is often stupid. Nick Marshall was projected 5th and 6th by lots of pundits, didn't get drafted at all. Smith supposed to be undrafted, but we took him. I saw Nick Marshall trying to play DB in the senior bowl, he sucked. Smith's tape is impressive. I chalk the projections up to a small school bias.

My personal feeling is that past the 5th round, there are no reaches. You look at your pool of players left, do a combination calculation of who is likely to get taken, which UDFAs you want that might not sign with you first, and players you might want an extra year of team control with, and then use the 6th and 7th to get the guys that shake out at the top of that composite list.

I remind myself that Pete is still a college coach in one way, he isn't afraid to get an athlete and coach him to play, even another position. Ruskell had a strong bias towards 4 year college players, he wanted his players mostly finished, and he certainly wasn't drafting athletes and figuring out where to put them. Case in point, John Carlson. That guy was a finished product out of college. He never got better, he was maxed out already.

Over the last few years I have become convinced that John is not awesome at finding great players, he is awesome at finding players Pete can coach. Pete and his staff may have to compete with more teams copying his sparq model, but if they aren't actually copying his training methods those teams will get worse, not better. The gap between the Hawks and other teams is not talent, it is player development.

It's disappointing to see Bennett slide if you believe pundits. I don't. I see him slide and wonder what teams know. On the few occasions they have taken those sliders, like YOLO Williams, it has been a flop. Those guy fall for a reason. Even Tate, who fell to pick 60, took 3 years to not be stupid on the field. Guys fall for a reason. Pundits call those selections steals because it is less bruising to egos than admitting they sized up the prospect all wrong. ( personally, I think Bennett must have gotten a bad endorsement from his HC for some reason. The OSU tight end went much higher, he had a glowing endorsement from Meyer.)

The first couple of years, I was mystified as to what Pete was doing, it bothered me too. Now, I just wonder who he will dig up. I watched almost no footage of first rounders this year, even before the trade, I am trying to find these athletes like Smith and Sokoli that Pete is going to grab late. I was onto Sokoli less than 24 hours after his pro day, when they took him it was pretty cool to know I understood their model better than years past.

I'm not the only one. Kiper himself has learned Pete is about athletes, don't question it, just assume he will coach them up.

I should have known this all along. Pete was developing player the exact same way at USC, I was just too busy hating USC to pay attention.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Totally get what you are saying Scott, and I am excited to see what Smith can do. No doubt about it.

mikeak

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1eb4e4ps said:
AgentDib":1eb4e4ps said:
The total cost of the Tyler Lockett acquisition was equal to the 7th pick in the third round according to the traditional chart. #95, #112, #167, #181 = 233.6 points.

The number of picks makes it seem like a big investment but it is really less of an investment than any of the first and second rounders we have drafted previously.

The traditional value chart is junk . . . it's why we are almost always looking to trade down for more picks. Every player has a probability of success. More picks means more opportunities, which means a higher overall probability of finding successful players.

Your logic assumes that the probability is equal for each player or that the probability of many equals that of one or fewer higher ranked player.

If the FO feels that one player is a "safe" NFL player and the rest is a big fat guess then maybe the probability of the one is higher than that of the many.....

Now if we talk one sixth rounder or four sixth rounders then I am more inclined to agree with your reasoning.