Irrational fire Chris Petersen thread

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
HawkWow":12zpaahe said:
Both Zona games should have resulted in Ws for us and if they had, this thread doesn't exist.

And they just as easily could have lost to Hawaii and EWU

Goes both ways. 7-8 wins for this team is not a bad year.

Again though.. Husky fans think they're close to being elite so, not much of a surprise to see people actually giving up on Chris Petersen already.

mikeak

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":d5ts24xb said:
HawkWow":d5ts24xb said:
Both Zona games should have resulted in Ws for us and if they had, this thread doesn't exist.

Again though.. Husky fans think they're close to being elite so, not much of a surprise to see people actually giving up on Chris Petersen already.

Blaming him for VERY BAD decisions leading to a loss is not giving up

CPHawk

Reaction score
OS might win tonight, but Riley still might be available soon. UW could swoop him up. He's good for keeping us at 7-8 wins a year.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Is that up to 7-8 wins or Down to 7-8 wins a year??? LOL :mrgreen: :stirthepot:

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
mikeak":35feg6zw said:
Not taking knee lost the game. That is 100% on the coax

1.23 - take knee. AZ use timeout. Play takes 1 sec. 1.22 left
2) take knee - 1 sec for play, 40 secs for next play - 41 left
3) take knee - 1 sec for play 40 secs

Game over

Simple. Seeing first down, 1.23, 1 To left I was immediately "game over take knee"

College play clock is 35 seconds. UW would have had to punt with 10 seconds remaining. Still though, it would have been the smart play. WSU suffered the exact same fate against Colorado State in the New Mexico Bowl last year, they also should have taken knees.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":89whj7q8 said:
mikeak":89whj7q8 said:

Game over

Simple. Seeing first down, 1.23, 1 To left I was immediately "game over take knee"

College play clock is 35 seconds. UW would have had to punt with 10 seconds remaining. Still though, it would have been the smart play. WSU suffered the exact same fate against Colorado State in the New Mexico Bowl last year, they also should have taken knees.

They tried for the first down with a relatively safe running play up the middle with their most reliable running back. Choosing to punt the ball to Arizona after three knees would not have been the correct decision.

"It's all about the ball."

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
hawknation2014":3p2fjs32 said:
Seahawks1983":3p2fjs32 said:
mikeak":3p2fjs32 said:

Game over

They tried for the first down with a relatively safe running play up the middle with their most reliable running back. Choosing to punt the ball to Arizona after three knees would not have been the correct decision.

Arizona would have to go most of the length of the field in 10 seconds or less with no timeouts. With UW's defense, I would take that all day long.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":2qft49cv said:
hawknation2014":2qft49cv said:
Seahawks1983":2qft49cv said:
mikeak":2qft49cv said:

Game over

Arizona would have to go most of the length of the field in 10 seconds or less with no timeouts. With UW's defense, I would take that all day long.

Or they get a good punt return (or block the punt!) and then kick the game winning FG. That's probably about as likely as Cooper fumbling the ball away on that play.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
hawknation2014":39x4ni16 said:
Or they get a good punt return (or block the punt!) and then kick the game winning FG. That's probably about as likely as Cooper fumbling the ball away on that play.

Fair point.

And I was wrong above, college football playclock rules are the same as the NFL, not sure where I came up with 35 seconds.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":1sjdniuz said:
hawknation2014":1sjdniuz said:

Fair point.

And I was wrong above, college football playclock rules are the same as the NFL, not sure where I came up with 35 seconds.

There was 1:33 left in the game. If you kneel at that point, Arizona calls a TO with about 1:30 left. You burn exactly 40 seconds off on 2nd down, then you have 50 seconds left on third down, and then about ten seconds left if you snap it after burning all 40 seconds before snapping it on 4th down.

So you were wrong about the play clock, but your ten-second estimate was right on. I don't think going for the first down with a relatively safe run was any more risky than the possibility of a blocked punt, punt return, hail marry, etc. A first down wins the game . . . punting the ball leaves it an open question.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
hawknation2014":3qyslx6a said:
Seahawks1983":3qyslx6a said:
hawknation2014":3qyslx6a said:

Fair point.

There was 1:33 left in the game. If you kneel at that point, Arizona calls a TO with about 1:30 left. You burn exactly 40 seconds off on 2nd down, then you have 50 seconds left on third down, and then about ten seconds left if you snap it after burning all 40 seconds before snapping it on 4th down.

So you were wrong about the play clock, but your ten-second estimate was right on. I don't think going for the first down with a relatively safe run was any more risky than the possibility of a blocked punt, punt return, hail marry, etc. A first down wins the game . . . punting the ball leaves it an open question.

Not to mention their snapping issues yesterday.

mikeak

Reaction score
hawknation2014":2tm56wuc said:
Seahawks1983":2tm56wuc said:
hawknation2014":2tm56wuc said:

Fair point.

You are wrong

Any smart coach also runs 3-4 secs per play to ensure the clock runs out. You walk backwards take the knee. Simple seen it done a bunch of times

hawknation2014

Reaction score
mikeak":1lobhqng said:
hawknation2014":1lobhqng said:
Seahawks1983":1lobhqng said:
hawknation2014":1lobhqng said:

Fair point.

You are wrong

Any smart coach also runs 3-4 secs per play to ensure the clock runs out. You walk backwards take the knee. Simple seen it done a bunch of times

Four seconds more per play on second and third down still forces you to punt on 4th down.

If we had kneeled three times and then the punt was blocked for a TD . . . what is the likelihood that people would have attacked Petersen for not at least trying for the game-winning first down with a relatively safe running play?

davidonmi

Reaction score
I held sark to a high standard, so I sure as hell am going to hold Petersen to a high standard. This season has been a complete failure, competent coaching and we're probably 8-3.
He seems completely uninterested in trying to win with players that aren't his, he's going to get time, but so far there have been few positives that can be taken from this season.
The way he talks doesn't really bother me, nor does the way he goes about his business. Plenty of great coaches are arrogant, but right now the on field product is dreck, and there is little to nothing that tells me it's gonna be any better next year

mikeak

Reaction score
hawknation2014":pmubmej9 said:
Four seconds more per play on second and third down still forces you to punt on 4th down.

If we had kneeled three times and then the punt was blocked for a TD . . . what is the likelihood that people would have attacked Petersen for not at least trying for the game-winning first down with a relatively safe running play?

I 100% agree - you do NOT intentionally put yourself in a situation where you execute a punt. That can be blocked etc etc. Safer to run up the middle.

But 1) no punt was needed (see below) 2) running like that up the middle 3 times does NOT give you a first down

You forgot that 3-4 secs are also used on the first play. The football I normally watch doesn't allow the opponent to use their time-out before the play is dead.

Play 1 -- 3 secs opponent time-out - 1.27 left,
Play 2 - 3 secs - no timeout - 44 secs left
Play 3 -- 3 secs - no timeout, 1 second left.

Fourth down snap the ball take a knee - 1 sec on the clock goes off time is OUT. This fourth down can easily be made to take 4 secs if additional time is needed

You can change this around. I have seen teams run the ball backwards for 10 steps to ENSURE that a fumble doesn't happen.

1.30 left - you run the clock out

EDIT: I saw the 1.33 up there now and found article referencing that. I am surprised by that time. The fumble happened at 1.23 - I ran it back. That means the play took 10 seconds? I thought the start of that play was sooner but clearly I am wrong. You can still make it work but it gets tricker. Point is he should have tried. You don't want to move the ball forward there

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
mikeak":2c4fzw9u said:
Hasselbeck":2c4fzw9u said:
HawkWow":2c4fzw9u said:

Blaming him for VERY BAD decisions leading to a loss is not giving up

Yes. He made bad decisions down the stretch.

But really.. this is a very average at best football team, with an inflated win total due to a really soft OOC schedule.. of which you nearly lost 2 of those games.

Petersen can coach.. have to give him time to get his guys in there.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
So when does somebody start one of these threads about Leach? He has his guys now and I don't see him killing it over there. He was supposed to be a great hire as well. I don't really want to compare him to Sark per se. But I can see some similarities. :229031_shrug:

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":11uuuyf8 said:
So when does somebody start one of these threads about Leach? He has his guys now and I don't see him killing it over there. He was supposed to be a great hire as well. I don't really want to compare him to Sark per se. But I can see some similarities. :229031_shrug:

Leach took a team that Paul Wulff turned into a national laughing stock to a bowl in year 2.

There are only 8 players remaining on the WSU roster from Wulff's final 2 recruiting classes, guys that would be RS JRs and SRs. That is 8 out of 40 or so (guys that actually made it to campus.) That is a huge void of veteran leadership for a program that historically doesn't do well without veteran laden teams.

But to answer your question, there are plenty of idiot Coug fans calling for Leach's head, including Jim Moore and Jason Puckett.

Given where WSU was when Leach arrived, and how things have improved since he got there across all phases of the program, I think it would be a colussal mistake to fire him. Not to mention, if you pay attention to Bill Moos, you would see that it is pretty clear that he isn't going to fire him.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":3f85jo0p said:
KitsapGuy":3f85jo0p said:

Leach took a team that Paul Wulff turned into a national laughing stock to a bowl in year 2.

There are only 8 players remaining on the WSU roster from Wulff's final 2 recruiting classes, guys that would be RS JRs and SRs. That is 8 out of 40 or so (guys that actually made it to campus.) That is a huge void of veteran leadership for a program that historically doesn't do well without veteran laden teams.

But to answer your question, there are plenty of idiot Coug fans calling for Leach's head, including Jim Moore and Jason Puckett.

Given where WSU was when Leach arrived, and how things have improved since he got there across all phases of the program, I think it would be a colussal mistake to fire him. Not to mention, if you pay attention to Bill Moos, you would see that it is pretty clear that he isn't going to fire him.

Wulff had the team much improved the year he was fired. How is it that WSU goes to a bowl game in 2012 (mostly with Wulff's players) and then goes back to being a three-win team in 2013 with mostly Leach's players?