Irrational fire Chris Petersen thread

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":2qyyfrf8 said:
There are only 8 players remaining on the WSU roster from Wulff's final 2 recruiting classes, guys that would be RS JRs and SRs. That is 8 out of 40 or so (guys that actually made it to campus.) That is a huge void of veteran leadership for a program that historically doesn't do well without veteran laden teams.

Here is a list of current players who were on the team under Wulff:

QB Connor Halliday (starter)
RB Marcus Mason (starter)
WR Rickey Galvin (stater)
WR Dom Williams (part-time starter)
WR Kristoff Williams (part-time starter)
LT Gunnar Eklund (part-time starter)
LB Darryl Monroe (starter)
LB Cyrus Coen (starter)
LB Chester Su'a (part-time starter)
DT Xavier Cooper (starter)
P Wes Concepcion (part-time starter)

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1h677e0r said:
Seahawks1983":1h677e0r said:
KitsapGuy":1h677e0r said:
So when does somebody start one of these threads about Leach? He has his guys now and I don't see him killing it over there. He was supposed to be a great hire as well. I don't really want to compare him to Sark per se. But I can see some similarities. :229031_shrug:

Leach took a team that Paul Wulff turned into a national laughing stock to a bowl in year 2.

There are only 8 players remaining on the WSU roster from Wulff's final 2 recruiting classes, guys that would be RS JRs and SRs. That is 8 out of 40 or so (guys that actually made it to campus.) That is a huge void of veteran leadership for a program that historically doesn't do well without veteran laden teams.

But to answer your question, there are plenty of idiot Coug fans calling for Leach's head, including Jim Moore and Jason Puckett.

Given where WSU was when Leach arrived, and how things have improved since he got there across all phases of the program, I think it would be a colussal mistake to fire him. Not to mention, if you pay attention to Bill Moos, you would see that it is pretty clear that he isn't going to fire him.

Wulff had the team much improved the year he was fired. How is it that WSU goes to a bowl game in 2012 (mostly with Wulff's players) and then goes back to being a three-win team in 2013 with mostly Leach's players?

WSU was god awful in 2011 (Wulff's last year) and 2012 (Leach's first year)

They went to a bowl game in 2013 by catching a few breaks (beating Lane Kiffin USC when his team had quit, catching Arizona in a trap game) as well as having a first round draft pick playing safety, and another senior playing corner. Couple that with an automatic field goal kicker, and they were able to scrape out six wins.

WSU is playing mostly freshmen and sophomores this year, and while their record isn't great, they should have at least one more win (lost by 1 to Cal on a missed 19 yard FG) and probably should have beaten Rutgers. God awful special teams has killed that team this year.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1qeqvk8w said:
Seahawks1983":1qeqvk8w said:
KitsapGuy":1qeqvk8w said:
So when does somebody start one of these threads about Leach? He has his guys now and I don't see him killing it over there. He was supposed to be a great hire as well. I don't really want to compare him to Sark per se. But I can see some similarities. :229031_shrug:

Leach took a team that Paul Wulff turned into a national laughing stock to a bowl in year 2.

But to answer your question, there are plenty of idiot Coug fans calling for Leach's head, including Jim Moore and Jason Puckett.

Given where WSU was when Leach arrived, and how things have improved since he got there across all phases of the program, I think it would be a colussal mistake to fire him. Not to mention, if you pay attention to Bill Moos, you would see that it is pretty clear that he isn't going to fire him.

Wulff had the team much improved the year he was fired. How is it that WSU goes to a bowl game in 2012 (mostly with Wulff's players) and then goes back to being a three-win team in 2013 with mostly Leach's players?

Wulff went 4-8 his final year.

The 4 wins were over:
Idaho State (FCS)
UNLV (2-10, MWC)
Colorado (3-10, Pac 12)
Arizona State (6-7, Pac 12)

They were blown out by:
San Diego State (18 points)
Stanford (30 points)
Oregon State (23 points)
Oregon (15 points)
California (23 points)
Washington (17 points)

So yes, this might have been an improvement from Wulff's 2008-2010 seasons, it was merely an improvement from "historically bad" to "God awful."

OP
OP
jkitsune

jkitsune

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3mz3wsd0 said:
mikeak":3mz3wsd0 said:
Hasselbeck":3mz3wsd0 said:
HawkWow":3mz3wsd0 said:
Both Zona games should have resulted in Ws for us and if they had, this thread doesn't exist.

And they just as easily could have lost to Hawaii and EWU

Goes both ways. 7-8 wins for this team is not a bad year.

Again though.. Husky fans think they're close to being elite so, not much of a surprise to see people actually giving up on Chris Petersen already.

Blaming him for VERY BAD decisions leading to a loss is not giving up

Yes. He made bad decisions down the stretch.

But really.. this is a very average at best football team, with an inflated win total due to a really soft OOC schedule.. of which you nearly lost 2 of those games.

Petersen can coach.. have to give him time to get his guys in there.

I agree. Of course he needs more time. That's why the thread is titled as irrational. Guy has to learn and develop, just like the talent does. I'm hopeful in 3 years we will feel glad to have Petersen. This has not been a banner year for him, unfortunately.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
If Washington wins out they tie their record last year. Not to mention Washington has been in every game so far. All that with fresh talent at key positions like QB, RB, and the secondary.

If UW wins out I will be overall pleased. I'm not gonna rag on him for the clock management...a blocked punt seems more likely than a fumble. The best coaches will make a clock mistake every now and then.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
fenderbender123":2tr3bizf said:
Not to mention Washington has been in every game so far. All that with fresh talent at key positions like QB, RB, and the secondary.

Oregon and UCLA all had a nice laugh at this.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":39i2kzsn said:
fenderbender123":39i2kzsn said:
Not to mention Washington has been in every game so far. All that with fresh talent at key positions like QB, RB, and the secondary.

I honestly meant to say except Oregon, because obviously they ran away with that one. UCLA seemed like a blowout at first but Washington was in the game in the second half...2 score game so...meh it can go either way. My original point still stands. I'm not overly impressed with Petersen but so far think he has done a decent job.

OP
OP
jkitsune

jkitsune

Reaction score
fenderbender123":1mzlc06c said:
Seahawks1983":1mzlc06c said:
fenderbender123":1mzlc06c said:

I honestly meant to say except Oregon, because obviously they ran away with that one. UCLA seemed like a blowout at first but Washington was in the game in the second half...2 score game so...meh it can go either way. My original point still stands. I'm not overly impressed with Petersen but so far think he has done a decent job.

Agreed. I keep reminding myself that one of his greatest strengths is player development, and I think we'll see that as the years go on. The ability to turn 2- and 3-star recruits into top players with NFL potential is incredibly important to building and maintaining a successful program, and I think the recruiting aspect will be fine. Things like clock management are frustrating, but not the most important aspect of a successful coach.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I'm impressed with Miles' development this season considering he's a first year QB who missed spring training.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
fenderbender123":3j8l3ouj said:
I'm impressed with Miles' development this season considering he's a first year QB who missed spring training.
His mechanics are still a mess, his arm strength is still questionable, but his decision making has noticeably improved as the season's gone on. And now that the Huskies are bowl eligible they'll have an additional two weeks of practice for the youngsters to get more time learning.

OP
OP
jkitsune

jkitsune

Reaction score
SeatownJay":2knb729u said:
fenderbender123":2knb729u said:
His mechanics are still a mess, his arm strength is still questionable, but his decision making has noticeably improved as the season's gone on. And now that the Huskies are bowl eligible they'll have an additional two weeks of practice for the youngsters to get more time learning.

Given the former two, I'd still be surprised if he's our starter next year, but fumbling issues aside, he has played pretty well the last couple of weeks.

Speaking of fumbling, the Huskies have fumbled something like 10 times in the last 2 games. After last week's debacle at Arizona, it's shocking to me that it was an issue yesterday as well.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
jkitsune":1im9scz6 said:
Speaking of fumbling, the Huskies have fumbled something like 10 times in the last 2 games. After last week's debacle at Arizona, it's shocking to me that it was an issue yesterday as well.
I did notice that Washington didn't have another carry after his fumble in the 3rd quarter last night.

OP
OP
jkitsune

jkitsune

Reaction score
Bump. It's still irrational and I'm a bit 'overserved' at this point, but did anyone see anything they actually liked from CP this year?

SeatownJay

Reaction score
jkitsune":y4kc6x8c said:
Bump. It's still irrational and I'm a bit 'overserved' at this point, but did anyone see anything they actually liked from CP this year?
There were a few times he seemed to make some effective halftime adjustments.

OP
OP
jkitsune

jkitsune

Reaction score
SeatownJay":34qt2i8b said:
jkitsune":34qt2i8b said:
There were a few times he seemed to make some effective halftime adjustments.

I liked how he kicked Marcus Peters off the team for choking his coaches. That was solid.

kearly

Reaction score
Graft Peyton Manning's 38 year old arm on Seneca Wallace and you'd have something close to Cyler Miles. Petersen is not a perfect coach, but he deserves some credit for getting to 8 wins with such a difficult QB situation.

OP
OP
jkitsune

jkitsune

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":aajaa1hq said:
No way this program takes a step forward until they get a real, Division 1 caliber QB. Period.

I'm excited for KJ Carta-Samuels and/or Jake Browning and/or Troy Williams next year.

Latest posts