Is A Loss Tomorrow A Failure of a Season?

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Norcalhawklover":1c3w49y7 said:
Cyrus12":1c3w49y7 said:
Always a failure unless you win the last game...the goal is always to win the sb.

This might be the dumbest post I have seen this year.
You probably had a lot of "participation" ribbons in your youth...that's okay everyone wins!

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Mad Dog":ev675lno said:
Cyrus12":ev675lno said:
Always a failure unless you win the last game...the goal is always to win the sb.

That thinking is going to lead to a lot of disappointment in life. Are you the pinnacle of your occupation? If not, then you might want to worry less about the Hawks and more about your employment where you are clearly "failing".

The SB is a dream. A goal is to win games. A goal is to play your best. A goal is to make the playoffs. Too much good fortune is required to win a SB and that's why it is just a dream opportunity and not a goal.

Most teams consider making the playoffs a successful season. Winning a SB is an extremely successful season. But not winning a SB can never be considered a failure. It's too hard and requires far too much luck.

We have been derailed by injuries this year and so I'm currently not expecting much of anything this post season. Just happy I've got at least one more game to watch. Keep hoping one year we will have good health and be able to get into the playoffs at near full strength, but that only happened in 2013.
Fairly certain if someone asks Wilson what his season goal is he is not going to say make playoffs and lose the first game. Guessing his goal every year is to win out as would everyone else on the team.

Hawkboi

Reaction score
This is simple.... Going into tomorrows game we are 0-0, we're not 11-5... We win we move on to the next 0-0, if we lose we go home and we're done... So that equals a losing season... I hope we can fight to the finish and win the Big One!!! GO SEAHAWS!!! :irishdrinkers:

slipwax

Reaction score
Cyrus12":1xdsrbis said:
Mad Dog":1xdsrbis said:
Cyrus12":1xdsrbis said:

That thinking is going to lead to a lot of disappointment in life. Are you the pinnacle of your occupation? If not, then you might want to worry less about the Hawks and more about your employment where you are clearly "failing".

The SB is a dream. A goal is to win games. A goal is to play your best. A goal is to make the playoffs. Too much good fortune is required to win a SB and that's why it is just a dream opportunity and not a goal.

Most teams consider making the playoffs a successful season. Winning a SB is an extremely successful season. But not winning a SB can never be considered a failure. It's too hard and requires far too much luck.

We have been derailed by injuries this year and so I'm currently not expecting much of anything this post season. Just happy I've got at least one more game to watch. Keep hoping one year we will have good health and be able to get into the playoffs at near full strength, but that only happened in 2013.
Fairly certain if someone asks Wilson what his season goal is he is not going to say make playoffs and lose the first game. Guessing his goal every year is to win out as would everyone else on the team.

Not reaching your goal doesn't make it a failure

Edit: ok, that sounded really stupid after I read it. I still stand by it

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
"Anything but a Super Bowl is proof that my opinions on how the team should be run were correct from the beginning."

- the malcontents

You know it's going to happen. Months and months and months of it, right up until training camp and beyond.

THAT'S why I most want the Seahawks to win. Not just to avoid losing, I can handle that. I just can't stand to hear a bunch of popcorn-chuckers who have never stepped foot on a football field on their life spending nine months condemning Pete Carroll's entire legacy and dismissing the long years of success as "meaningless" and "nothing".

Go Seahawks. Please. I beg you.

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
morgulon1":3ksn415j said:
This season has been weird to say the least. I believe we'll be a much improved team next year.

If we win tomorrow its a success.
If we lose, just not as successful.

Well stated!

Rolling into the playoffs with a 1-3 record the last four games does not bode well. If we get a win, or two, we've done an outstanding job.
With the Marshawn X factor, it sure as heck makes it special.

Fans of 20 other teams would salivate over a season like this.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
You bet your ass.....a loss tomorrow would be HELL as this message board would be uninhabitable until the end of April.

justafan

Reaction score
Not for me. This has been the most enjoyable season since the SB years. After the first SB you could see the talent drain starting from losing so many FAs. Every SB team has had to deal with it. I think the last 2 years were the low point in our talent level. Now we are seeing some bright spots in young talent coming up. The FO tried everything right up to the trade deadline to make this D good enough to go all the way. They made a lot of good moves that just didnt work as well as I had hoped but they tried everything they could.

Going into the season I figured we were 3rd in talent level in the division. I wasnt expecting anything close to fighting for the top seed with 2 games left.

We seemed to peak early then injury bugged killed us at the end. Nobody to blame, it happens. My biggest disappointment will be I dont get to see a game the following week IF we lose.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I didn’t expect a playoff birth this season.

My expectations have been raised, I’ll be sorely disappointed but can’t consider the season a failure.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Great stuff everyone. Loving the diverse responses. Definitely no right or wrong opinions here.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I think it's pretty hard to look at any season where you came up one inch short of being division champs a failure. Same is true of having an 11-5 reg season record. That just doesn't qualify as "bad". But if we lose tomorrow it would be tough to say losing 4 of your last five is any kind of successful way to end a season.
Results from today were pretty interesting. I'm thinking we better buckle up and get ready for a slugfest.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Considering that this year was supposed to be retooling, I don't consider it a disappointment if we lose tomorrow, in terms of whether the season was successful.

...I'd still be very disappointed if we lose tomorrow, though. :)

minormillikin

Reaction score
I don't want this season to win with 3 straight losses. I think that would be a giant disappointment.

Even before losing the last 2, Carolina game was pretty sketchy, Rams loss before that, uneven against Vikings.... Just not a lot of bright spots for quite a while. I know, wins are wins...

Coincidentally, I think the last halfway solid game the Seahawks played was against the Eagles 6 weeks ago.

At least if we win only one playoff game there will be some recent success to build on. Otherwise everyone goes into the offseason after a long downhill slide.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Yes winning 11 games and then losing 3 straight and 4 of the last 5 is a failure. I'm not going to get into the whatif's on the eve of the freaking game though and this post really should have been made after the game Sunday night and then only if it's a loss.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
No.

11 - 5 and playoffs is NOT a failure season. You have had many injuries this year. Your fan base is used to winning a lot so they are a bit spoiled I would say. There is nothing wrong with your season win or lose. I think you did pretty well given your injury situation. There is no shame in your season no matter what happens tomorrow.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Yeah, I would consider it a failure with the amount of losing lately and the abysmal coaching that's been happening. One and dones aren't getting it anymore.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I don't think that we were that great this season, and honestly we won more than I thought we would. Despite that I feel like we had a lot of really lucky events roll our way in games.

Despite what I just said I see a lot of potential on the offense is Pete Carroll gets his head out of his ***. Our early wins and best stretches of games came when we relied on our offense, when we ran a quick passing game to set up our run game. Russ's decline, and the overall decline of the offense came when we went back to Pete Carroll's offense. The long developing crossing routes, lack of check down passes, and run, run, pass, punt convention. Nothing wrong with wanting to run the ball. What I'm saying here is our offense started to lack any sort of nuance.

Overall another loss in the playoffs against the Philadelphia Eagles would be pretty bad. I don't think they're that good of a team and they are even more beat up than we are. We would also be ending the season with three straight losses, and losing four out of our last five games. From a moral standpoint it sets a bad precedent if we lose heading into next season. It would also put our playoff win percentage since our last Super Bowl run at .333.

Above all else we need some kind of momentum going into next season. I don't think this team will come close to a Super Bowl, but a win is really needed just to end the season on a better note.

xray

Reaction score
It should be a failure in the teams view . Every loss should be a painful experience . If it's not ; then a team is just coasting for a paycheck . IMO ...As far as the " retooling-rebuilding " narrative ; I don't even consider that as an excuse for any team . Every good team is constantly trying to improve their team every season and every way they can . The draft---free agency---trades . It never stops . Naming a certain season as a rebuild or whatever you want to call it is wrong ; because it happens every season .

uncle fester

Reaction score
A win tonight would be a great sign off on a weird season. Loss as a faliure? I don't think so.

Personally, I'm still baffled as to how this team - performing as it has - got to 11 wins. Most of the play reeked of a 6-to-8 win season.

Other than Russ, before Game 1 we knew we had: 1 good WR, 1 good RB but with an injury history, 2 DBs 2 LBs and a LOT of question marks.

And now there's a playoff game? With genuine apologies to the objective/naysaying types, (I respect your counter-arguments) I'm honestly considering opening a bottle of fizz at kickoff.