Is it arrogance?

SchadenfreudeHawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":pj0gnzev said:
seanmatt":pj0gnzev said:
Uncle Si":pj0gnzev said:
seanmatt":pj0gnzev said:
So, you admit that the team is on a downward trajectory but are OK with it cause we did good things 5 years ago. At what point will you stop being OK with this mediocrity? This team has made continual garbage decisions over and over again but these decisions are just shrugged off with a "pobodys nerfect" and the irrational belief that some how we are about to turn the corner. The constant defense of this administration is baffling. It's like with players, you need to get rid of them a year too early instead of a year to late. Pete and John have put this team in such bad straights that when they are finally canned it is going to take multiple years (IF everything goes right) to get them back in competition. But I guess that it's fine that we are not a legit contenteder because we won it all in the Obama era.

Yes 10 win seasons and playoffs are some dire straights.

If you want to quantify a downward trajectory as "not winning 12 games a year and not making a super bowl" then i reckon conversing about how illogical that is makes no sense.

Also.. they continue to find diamonds in the rough. As apparent by the salaries those players are garnering from other teams

You must been a huge Browns fan in the 80s. I mean, they WENT to the AFC championship game four times in a row! I wish that I had your taste for losing, it would make things easier. The reality is that we are no longer a viable contender for the Super Bowl. That window is closed. The team keeps getting worse and worse (which you are OK with cause they make the playoffs) and will eventually tank. Yes, the goal of the team should be to win the Super Bowl. Every year. This regime is arrogant as they think that they are still ahead of the curve. The league has moved past them and figured them out. We lost a bunch of players and are sitting on our hands with only a couple draft picks. Pete and John think they can build a championship teams with reject players and we are gonna see more Mingo's added to the squad (while letting folks like Earl walk with no compensation). Can't wait for you to talk about how great the team is in a couple years when we have multiple 7-9 seasons and let Russel walk with no compesation. I mean, will there ever be a time when what this team did 6 years ago doesn't cover for their current failures for you?

So, how many Super Bowls in a seven-year span are enough for you?

I think the better question is why you judge THIS team a success for what they did five years ago. Honestly, I don't think this regime will ever get us back to the bowl. Yeah, those back to back Super Bowls were great, but that was then and this is now. Listen, if you think that the the team making the right moves to become a contender again that is your right. I just think that it's ridiculous to say that because they did it in the past means that they will necessarily do it again. For me, I don't care how many Super Bowls they've had in the last seven years; I care that they haven't even been close to one in the past four.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
People judge THIS team a success because they recognize that theyve managed to stay more competitive than any franchise outside 1 over the last 6 years despite purging a roster full of stars. 5 playoff runs. 5 10 win seasons. Regardless of the 2 years before those are difficult successes to maintain.

They also probably see the machinations similar to what helped build those 2 super bowl runs.

Its not rocket science... and purporsefully ignoring some of the obvious successes of this team while suggesting others are linking past success to current is simply playing a game by yourself

Chapow

Reaction score
seanmatt":257ks4im said:
I think the better question is why you judge THIS team a success for what they did five years ago. Honestly, I don't think this regime will ever get us back to the bowl. Yeah, those back to back Super Bowls were great, but that was then and this is now. Listen, if you think that the the team making the right moves to become a contender again that is your right. I just think that it's ridiculous to say that because they did it in the past means that they will necessarily do it again. For me, I don't care how many Super Bowls they've had in the last seven years; I care that they haven't even been close to one in the past four.

Wow. Four whole years huh? Woe is us.

You do recall that we have only been to the Super Bowl 3 times in the entire history of this franchise, right?

Yet now the expectation is that we should make it every year and if we don't it's some sort of debacle? And this seems reasonable to you?

It is extremely difficult to get to a Super Bowl in this league. Ask any team not named the Patriots.

chris98251

Reaction score
Chapow":2ddqflmv said:
seanmatt":2ddqflmv said:

Wow. Four whole years huh? Woe is us.

You do recall that we have only been to the Super Bowl 3 times in the entire history of this franchise, right?

Yet now the expectation is that we should make it every year and if we don't it's some sort of debacle? And this seems reasonable to you?

It is extremely difficult to get to a Super Bowl in this league. Ask any team not named the Patriots.

Yeah ask the Lions.........

OP
OP
J

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I don’t have any particular big name FAs we should sign if any. But we will wait past tier 2, 3 and 4 and get tier 5 projects and bat .200 with them leaving us with holes, piss pore first half offense and Wilson fleeing for his life like a volleyball on the ocean.

We will drop to get more picks (good) then reach with the ones we use.

This again because we don’t hit consistent Ichiro singles but think we are so much smarter we swing for the fences. All the other draft experts know things too.

:oops:

AgentDib

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":3ua7lxoi said:
But we will wait past tier 2, 3 and 4 and get tier 5 projects and bat .200 with them leaving us with holes
Free agents signed on or after May 8th do not count against our compensatory picks. If we could truly bat .200 on a bunch of very cheap guys with zero downside then that would be awesome and worth bringing in a bunch.

You probably realize that under a salary cap the Hawks are going to spend all their money either way and waiting in FA isn't being cheap. We will still spend the entire cap value on players whether we sign a bunch of tier 1 FA or nobody at all.

Maybe you could be more specific about what positions you believe need immediate help from tier 2, tier 3, and tier 4 free agents, and whether that is worth giving up compensatory draft picks?

chris98251

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":3knl6gwd said:
I don’t have any particular big name FAs we should sign if any. But we will wait past tier 2, 3 and 4 and get tier 5 projects and bat .200 with them leaving us with holes, piss pore first half offense and Wilson fleeing for his life like a volleyball on the ocean.

We will drop to get more picks (good) then reach with the ones we use.

This again because we don’t hit consistent Ichiro singles but think we are so much smarter we swing for the fences. All the other draft experts know things too.

:oops:

Oh and another out of the woodwork post saying we don't know shit as a F.O. but everyone else does.

Many of us remember 1976 to 2005 and are not on the band wagon but have been in the wagon train. John and Pete have hit a lot more then they miss, when they go south it's when a certain OC or they feel an urgency to go after a player that may have attitude question marks.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Seymour":ngdzqwdm said:
WestcoastSteve":ngdzqwdm said:
Seymour":ngdzqwdm said:
One signing we still could pull off is TJ Lang. He played well last year and letting Sweezy go could possibly be a sign it could happen.

I would put him clearly above Fluker also.

Edit....well debatable since I did not realize he missed 10 games. maybe a bargain contract signing??

https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...an-intriguing-option-for-teams-in-free-agency

We don't need another injury prone OL we have Simmons and potentially Fluker.

He seems like the next Mike Wahle. Hard Pass

He is NOT injury prone. Nothing like the others. Last year was his first major (over 3 games) issue with that.

However, with two years under his belt, Lang quickly established himself as one of the most reliable pass-protecting guards in the NFL. About as durable as they came, Lang played at least 900 snaps in each season from 2011 to 2016, and he recorded pass-blocking grades north of 75.0 in five of those six seasons. His career-best stretch came between 2015 and 2016, where he earned elite pass-blocking grades of 90.1 and 91.9, respectively, while he allowed a grand total of 31 total pressures on his combined 1299 pass-blocking snaps over that span.

For Lang to even begin to replicate his success from GB in Seattle he'd have to completely relearn his pass-blocking technique without the Packers' patented non-holds.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
seanmatt":156gdcq8 said:
MontanaHawk05":156gdcq8 said:
seanmatt":156gdcq8 said:
Uncle Si":156gdcq8 said:

If you want to quantify a downward trajectory as "not winning 12 games a year and not making a super bowl" then i reckon conversing about how illogical that is makes no sense.

Also.. they continue to find diamonds in the rough. As apparent by the salaries those players are garnering from other teams

You must been a huge Browns fan in the 80s. I mean, they WENT to the AFC championship game four times in a row! I wish that I had your taste for losing, it would make things easier. The reality is that we are no longer a viable contender for the Super Bowl. That window is closed. The team keeps getting worse and worse (which you are OK with cause they make the playoffs) and will eventually tank. Yes, the goal of the team should be to win the Super Bowl. Every year. This regime is arrogant as they think that they are still ahead of the curve. The league has moved past them and figured them out. We lost a bunch of players and are sitting on our hands with only a couple draft picks. Pete and John think they can build a championship teams with reject players and we are gonna see more Mingo's added to the squad (while letting folks like Earl walk with no compensation). Can't wait for you to talk about how great the team is in a couple years when we have multiple 7-9 seasons and let Russel walk with no compesation. I mean, will there ever be a time when what this team did 6 years ago doesn't cover for their current failures for you?

TIL that the divisional playoff round isn't even close to the Super Bowl.

It's two wins away, dude. Closer than most of the league.

This "cutting through the bullcrap and telling it like it is" act isn't convincing. You didn't answer my question, because you know there's no good answer: you want Seattle to be winning lots of Super Bowls, but you probably acknowledge that it isn't realistic for any team other than the Patriots to do so. So Seattle is excelling in the same way that every other perennial contender is.

"That was then and this is now"...good grief, what an awful way to treat the gang that got you a Super Bowl.

mrt144

Reaction score
seanmatt":16wubyu3 said:
MontanaHawk05":16wubyu3 said:
seanmatt":16wubyu3 said:
Uncle Si":16wubyu3 said:

Because none of us have actual agency in whether they make it to the SB or not? I mean, honestly, we're all interested fans here but I wouldn't work myself up over something I have no hand in over the course of years and years.

SchadenfreudeHawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1j8fy1i4 said:
seanmatt":1j8fy1i4 said:
MontanaHawk05":1j8fy1i4 said:
seanmatt":1j8fy1i4 said:

This "cutting through the bullcrap and telling it like it is" act isn't convincing. You didn't answer my question, because you know there's no good answer: you want Seattle to be winning lots of Super Bowls, but you probably acknowledge that it isn't realistic for any team other than the Patriots to do so. So Seattle is excelling in the same way that every other perennial contender is.

"That was then and this is now"...good grief, what an awful way to treat the gang that got you a Super Bowl.

You stated that the Pats are as successful as I would like the Hawks to be. It is possible. If the Pats can be that successful than I want the Hawks to be that successful. If Pete and John aren't going to bring us that level of success than I want to move to someone who might. I want as many if not more Super Bowl wins as the Pats.

Also, this board has really changed throughout the years. This whole "if you crtitque the team you are a bandwagoner" thing is really nonsense. Listen, the Hawks are a product I consume. I am the customer. I don't owe this brand any loyalty. I pay their salaries when I buy their merch, go to games, or watch them on TV. I don't have to "treat the gang that got you to the Super Bowl" in any sort of fashion. This whole fealty things that folks like you have is weird. The seahawks are not my kings. I do not have to bow to them and say, "thank you oh noble ones for what you have brought me." They went one the Super Bowl. Awesome. Folks like us have made them rich beyond most peoples wildest dreams. As a paying customer I want more from this product that it is currently giving me. Clearly you don't. Good for you. But I ain't gonna genuflect before them just cause I really enjoyed the product that they put out one year.

SchadenfreudeHawk

Reaction score
mrt144":7pmtiw4n said:
seanmatt":7pmtiw4n said:
MontanaHawk05":7pmtiw4n said:
seanmatt":7pmtiw4n said:

Because none of us have actual agency in whether they make it to the SB or not? I mean, honestly, we're all interested fans here but I wouldn't work myself up over something I have no hand in over the course of years and years.

Sure, none of us have the agency to take them to the Bowl. But with that logic, why come to this board? Why engage in any critical discussion? We all come here to talk about the team, and about the moves they make. Also, if enough fans start sharing the perspective of folks like myself (and the boos from the stadium the last couple years shows that more are) this team might make a change in regime. Listen, I get it. Some of y'all look at the moves this team has made and go, "yeah, we are doing great!" I disagree. I want more. I think this team keeps making horrible moves and that they are going to get worse and worse. I think the lack of action in free agency is them believing too highly in their ability to find reclamation projects. And I will continue to "work myself up" cause I'm a sports fan, dude. I'm not gonna pretend to be too cool for school. When the Hawks lose it bums me out.

mrt144

Reaction score
seanmatt":2px8uvp6 said:
mrt144":2px8uvp6 said:
seanmatt":2px8uvp6 said:
MontanaHawk05":2px8uvp6 said:

Sure, none of us have the agency to take them to the Bowl. But with that logic, why come to this board? Why engage in any critical discussion? We all come here to talk about the team, and about the moves they make. Also, if enough fans start sharing the perspective of folks like myself (and the boos from the stadium the last couple years shows that more are) this team might make a change in regime. Listen, I get it. Some of y'all look at the moves this team has made and go, "yeah, we are doing great!" I disagree. I want more. I think this team keeps making horrible moves and that they are going to get worse and worse. I think the lack of action in free agency is them believing too highly in their ability to find reclamation projects. And I will continue to "work myself up" cause I'm a sports fan, dude. I'm not gonna pretend to be too cool for school. When the Hawks lose it bums me out.

Because we aren't binary creatures. I am invested enough to want to talk about the how and why and when of the Hawks. But I'm not so invested that I'm really put out by lack of SBs. I usually count my blessings in the offseason and rattle off curses during the season. ;)

I think you are mistaking some people's acceptance of the situation for complete support, lack of criticism, etc etc. I am highly critical of aspects of the team but not enough to go out of my way out of the season to badger people into agreeing with me. I think Schotty is average AT BEST, I think Pete is too dogmatic and not adaptable enough, I think there are small tweaks here and there that could improve the fortunes if there is the will to do so, I think the team is best served not bringing in outside talent for draft picks and Free Agents only when depth requires it. The team really isn't consistent enough in outside acquisition to feel good immediately any time a move is made - it's always "We'll see if they know what they're doing I guess" rather than "I know this is gonna elevate the team". Exception might be D Line vets in their mid to late 20s.

All those criticisms and more are there BUT there are totally worse situations to be in, way less hopeful situations, and a slightly better than the field chance to win a SB. When the 2019 season starts up again I'll be plenty salty if things go sideways but until then - there's not going to be any of the changes you imagine are necessary.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
seanmatt":3hxa299t said:

If you're just a consumer, then maybe it's time to find a new store, product, or brand, a winning one, one that doesn't "bum you out." I'm not saying, "just leave!" I'm simply echoing previous sentiments--you don't have to bow down to this team. You can go cheer for the one that always wins.

And there is only one of those. At least in recent history. There is no guarantee that team will continue to do so. Every other choice will be for teams that may or may not have success by going to the SB. Good luck with that!

And until you can explain and predict exactly what moves would be great (ahead of time) and an overarching philosophy that goes beyond "we need to win," your evaluation of this horrible team/FO (who keeps getting us to the playoffs with scrubs) contributes nearly nothing to educating the readers/fans here.

Besides the Patriots, which team(s) have a philosophy you appreciate and why? Give specifics, and show how those decisions have directly led those teams to the big game.

Time to show your cards, or your bluff gets called.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
seanmatt":3g7cyzst said:
This whole "if you crtitque the team you are a bandwagoner" thing is really nonsense.

Straw man. Very few people are actually attacking critics that intensely, and you're letting their voices be too loud for you. The vast majority of us are willing to critique them on things. We just don't see a problem in their overall philosophy.

For example, their 2017 free agent signings were all jaw-droppingly uninspiring. Lacy, Joeckel, and Walsh? That far outweights Jimmy Graham as the worst free agent signings.

chris98251

Reaction score
seanmatt":5lapfq8i said:
MontanaHawk05":5lapfq8i said:
seanmatt":5lapfq8i said:
MontanaHawk05":5lapfq8i said:

You stated that the Pats are as successful as I would like the Hawks to be. It is possible. If the Pats can be that successful than I want the Hawks to be that successful. If Pete and John aren't going to bring us that level of success than I want to move to someone who might. I want as many if not more Super Bowl wins as the Pats.

Also, this board has really changed throughout the years. This whole "if you crtitque the team you are a bandwagoner" thing is really nonsense. Listen, the Hawks are a product I consume. I am the customer. I don't owe this brand any loyalty. I pay their salaries when I buy their merch, go to games, or watch them on TV. I don't have to "treat the gang that got you to the Super Bowl" in any sort of fashion. This whole fealty things that folks like you have is weird. The seahawks are not my kings. I do not have to bow to them and say, "thank you oh noble ones for what you have brought me." They went one the Super Bowl. Awesome. Folks like us have made them rich beyond most peoples wildest dreams. As a paying customer I want more from this product that it is currently giving me. Clearly you don't. Good for you. But I ain't gonna genuflect before them just cause I really enjoyed the product that they put out one year.

So you want the Seahawks to cheat, be dishonest, film practices, lie about injuries, fake injuries, and then go to massage parlors as long as they win Super Bowl after Super Bowl.

AgentDib

Reaction score
seanmatt":8lip61rk said:
Honestly, I don't think this regime will ever get us back to the bowl.... I care that they haven't even been close to one in the past four.
In my view you have an incomplete understanding of the role that uncertainty takes in the NFL. It's a brief 16 game season followed by single elimination playoffs where one single play or referee call can often make the difference between moving on or being eliminated. Do you give the Rams credit for making the Superbowl last season on a blown call? Do you give us credit for 2014 even though GB completely blew the game?

What would you say our preseason chances of winning the Super Bowl have looked like since Pete took over? They have been something like this:
2010: 3%
2011: 4%
2012: 7%
2013: 12%
2014: 12%
2015: 9%
2016: 9%
2017: 8%
2018: 7%

Those probabilities are extremely good for any NFL team, and if you add them up you get a 73% chance of winning one Super Bowl which is how we've done. Nobody is telling you to be happy because we won a single Super Bowl and so you shouldn't care how we do now, but that this has been an outstanding decade of Seahawks football.

How the Patriots have managed to do even better than we have over the interval is a very long topic that merits it's own discussion in the NFL forum. There are things they do which are worth emulating and then there are questionable things they do which many fans would prefer we did not imitate. In my view the largest factor has been a very team friendly contract for the best QB in NFL history. That QB also just so happens to own a sports therapy center that the Patriots pay on the side. We should always be willing to learn things from extreme outliers but you absolutely shouldn't use them as a benchmark for determining what a successful team looks like.

HansGruber

Reaction score
seanmatt":gkxulfcb said:
Uncle Si":gkxulfcb said:
seanmatt":gkxulfcb said:
Seymour":gkxulfcb said:
Who has New England signed?

Do they fail yearly also?

No, the Pats go to the Superbowl yearly. We haven't been in how many years? Just cause this strategy works for the Pats doesn't mean it works for us. Look at our downward trajectory. Pete and John have lost their magic.

What downward trajectory?

Every team but one, the same who pays their qb pennies on the dollar, is playing the same game.

Seattle has been one of the most successful at it the last 8 years.

They are teying to repeat what they did 6-8 years ago with a 30 million dollar qb. Thats not arrogance or confidence or any non-quantifiable emotion.

Its tactical. It worked last year.

2014- 12-4 lost the Super Bowl
2015- 10-6- Lost in the Divisional Round
2016- 10-5-1 Lost in the Divisional Round
2017- 9-7 No playoofs
2018- 10-5 Lost in WIldcard Round

That is a downward trajectory. Then take in the terrible moves this team has made since then. Jimmy Graham trade. Sheldon Richardson one year rental. Malik Mcdowell. Resigning Kam. Letting Earl walk for no compensation. Cutting Sherman instead of trading him to get something. Trading Bennet for pennies. Penny. And look at the team now. Barely any draft capital. Holes all over the place. This team was better last year than in 2017 but that was a mirage. But hey, they did good stuff 5 years ago so we should be happy, right?

You're trying way too hard. Kam and Sherman, you're just off. And if I'm not mistaken, you're saying Penny was a bad pick? How do you know that? I thought he started looking a lot better by the end of the season.

I guess the old adage is true. Some people see negative, others see positive. Change is change.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
seanmatt":e9u4v3v5 said:
MontanaHawk05":e9u4v3v5 said:
seanmatt":e9u4v3v5 said:
MontanaHawk05":e9u4v3v5 said:

What utter nonsense.

Being negative doesnt make you objective. Doesnt make you clearer or right.

Its your perspective. Suggesting those that don't see it your way as blinded by fealty is ignorant and concending. Its also a clear indication of your hypocritical approach to others points and inability to engage in dissenting dialogue.

The board has changed?

Get over yourself