• Yes

Votes: 93 60.4%
  • No

Votes: 62 40.3%

• Total voters

Jville

Reaction score
austinslater25":cdxctt9h said:
That's sort of what I consider myself to be honest.

That's cool.

I do think that when Paul Allen moved on from the Mike Holmgren era he insisted on a head coach + general manager tandem. Owners thru out the league have migrated to that type of organizational partnership. It's structure is prevalent in all 4 NFC West teams. Outside of an indulging owner here and there, one man shows have become scarce. Even Jerry Jones was persuaded to give up his one man show.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Wow. Two road losses and the screaming Mimis are out in full force, demanding the coach's head on a platter. What a surprise.

James in PA

Reaction score
To be determined. I’d like to see how the rest of this season plays out. They have clearly been on a downward spiral since SB49. It’s been frustrating as hell seeing them get a little bit worse each year since. If they don’t look like are FINALLY starting to move in the right direction by season’s end, it might be time to do something drastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I quit believing in Pete last year.

Pete is a defensive minded coach faced with a roster where all his advantages over the other team rest on the offense.

He is not capable of taking advantage of this. With great defensive players, he is an asset. Without those great players, he is a liability.

He holds philosophies that do not work but he has a massive ego so he will not acknowledge it.

One of the girls once put money in a claw machine and got a doll out of it. For YEARS, whenever she went past one of those machines she insisted she could get another. She was convinced that it worked once and so it could work again. His obsession with splash plays has killed us. But worse, this tendency to try to hit home runs (while it worked with some draft picks) is the same disease that brought in Harvin to kill the team or Graham to destroy the run game which was working.

His obsession with Home Runs is the root of the problem and cannot be solved without removing him.

He is old and his philosophies are tired and outdated. More significantly, he cannot adapt. We know his fingers are on FO moves, and so a large part of this roster he cannot work with is likely his doing. The irony is that if we did not drive off all those players that were 'getting paid too much' and disagreeing with him (because he is now near incompetent) - we would still be competitive. (Ask SF how Sherman is doing now)

He figured out how to use players with different body types than the standard metrics in different ways. That got us that talent much cheaper. And he is fantastic at developing talent he has. But if he cannot hit on those players he cannot compete.

He is a master strategist, but one of the worst game-day coaches in the league.
He is a tremendous evaluator of talent and developer but poor to average evaluator of assistant coaches.
He is a tremendous defensive mind but one of the worst offensive minds in the league.
He does not put enough credence into failure, both learning from it and avoiding it.
Will consistently believe that he can bring in people that have failed elsewhere and make it work for him. It worked once, wonderfully, with Lynch. The rest were steaming disasters.
He is constantly scheming for little advantages in one direction, that lead to huge gaping holes in other directions.

If he does not have a materially better roster than his opposition, his teams will struggle over the long term. And for us, without a great defense to cover his flaws on offense, he is a net liability.

pugs1

Reaction score
Are we 12’s? I ask because some are calling for the coaches head after a 0-2 start? Are the offensive woes frustrating? Sure they are but it’s been two games. Pete guided the Seahawks to the best five year run this franchise has ever seen. He’s earned the right to fix it. Relax it a long season.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Don't want him gone at all. But it's time he actually does what he claims and sticks to the run. He has final say, not the coordinators. I love the guy, but enough already.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
No, not yet.

Pete and John have earned the goodwill from Allen and the organization to try to rebuild this roster............but only through the end of their contracts (2019).

Only loser organizations fire coaches mid-season because they're dysfunctional and kneejerk. When has that ever worked out?

adeltaY

Reaction score
pugs1":10ma0jbj said:
Are we 12’s? I ask because some are calling for the coaches head after a 0-2 start? Are the offensive woes frustrating? Sure they are but it’s been two games. Pete guided the Seahawks to the best five year run this franchise has ever seen. He’s earned the right to fix it. Relax it a long season.

It would be unreasonable if it was in a vacuum. But the same problems with the offense from the prior two seasons have persisted. They changed a bunch of coordinators and position coaches and the offense still sucks. That's why many of us are fed up.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It pains me to say because I have always loved Pete as our HC but as many have stated, he is demonstrating incapability to adjust to the rest of the league and he is absolutely hampering Russell's abilities. With better coaching, we win last night's game easily. This is just painful to watch. Unless there is a MAJOR turn around or clear signs of improvement as the season goes on, I believe this should be Pete's last season.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
My answer: No!

Sure as heck I was unhappy watching among other things: Ifedi's lunch being taken from him again and again, Russell being sacked 5 times in the first half, a relatively uninspiring run game and the only time they ran it they moved the damn ball, weak tackling, soft coverage, limited pass rush. You just knew they weren't going to win; then Russell made it exciting until he threw the telegraphed pick 6.

At the end it was close, and so was the Denver game. In total they have lost two games by only 11 points. So far though it has been painful to watch and this team is seriously wounded, yet was competitive, well sort of.

I think the safe answer to the question is let's wait until the end of this season to see. Somehow though there are some good players here on both sides of the ball and Pete will be given the chance to do his rebuild.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
I'm not willing to say at this moment, but I have always believed Pete would make a better Defensive Coordinator than head coach.

Schadie001

Reaction score
Pete may have some say in how the offensive play calls but I didn't see him standing next to BS and telling him what to call. Unfortunately, what we saw was a BS called game (2 in a row), this was what the critics said when we replaced Bevell with basically Bevell. Our D played dam good last night given that we had a rag tag group of guys out there. We saw on one drive what Seattle could be IF we will just throw short and quick passes. We scored incredibility easy and fast and Russell had gobs of time. When all our routes are 10+ yards and Russell has to make 12 reads he is going to get sacked.

Everyone calling for Pete's job are off base, this is the OC and the OC alone. Pete told him to take a couple shots deep but BS has to call a better game. Plain and simple.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Pete hires the OC.

The decision was his and the consequences should be too.

Regardless, it is a what have you done for me lately league. Pete has done nothing for 5 years except fail with some of the best players to play football on his roster. Stripped of those players, this year he can barely compete.

He isn't able to effectively coach game-day and he is too old and intractable to change now. So he is worthless unless you want him to model running shoes on the sideline.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Pete has done nothing? Come on man.
He's certainly not coaching well this season, but he has done plenty.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Not since his 2nd SB loss he hasn't.

With one of the best rosters in football, he took us to the wildcard games and then got blown out in the first real playoff game EVERY year but for the year he missed the playoffs entirely.

In most of those years, the Seahawks were the NFC favorite for the SB or were the 2nd or 3rd choice (darkhorse)

So he literally underproduced with one of the best defenses and most talented rosters ever year past the SB loss. The consensus evaluation of the roster was high, hence the constantly getting picked as the SB favorite for the NFC.

That is almost the textbook definition of doing nothing. Maybe worse.

chris98251

Reaction score
Pete's influence at USC caused Norm Chow to leave, I think he is doing that same thing here now, he just needs to focus on what he knows, Holmgren had the good sense to let his DC do his job and not meddle in it.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Probably, yeah. I think Pete needs to go somewhere new and try again, for his own benefit. He does best in new situations.

For us, a coach like Matt LaFleur would be a good option to take over as head coach. I know PA likes to hire big, but I think he's a hot name with a hell of a resume on the offensive side of the ball. We'll see how he does with Mariota this year.

ducks41468

Reaction score
It's been time for a couple of years now. Assuming we don't have a major turnaround and make the playoffs he should be gone, along with Schotty. And very likely JS as well, given our abysmal drafting.