Is there a valid reason to root for the Rams next week?

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
Aros":jsjf7ts1 said:
Fair question. At first I thought screw that, always hope your division opponent leader loses, but if the Eagles lose next week, things get interesting for sure. Still, we want the Rams to lose so we can take the lead but the Eagles losing is not a bad thing in the least.
As long as somebody loses besides us, I'm good.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3mv6ypn1 said:
Hasselbeck":3mv6ypn1 said:
vin.couve12":3mv6ypn1 said:
Rams beat Eagles
Seahawks beat Rams.
Eagles lose 1 more.

Seahawks at least move up to 3 seed.

The only thing that's important is to win out.

The Rams winning would make our margin of error incredibly small of not only winning the division, but making the playoffs in general.

Our margin is already small: we lose one more game and there's a very likely chance that we're out entirely.
11-5 should get us in. I want more.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Hawkpower":17njkcxo said:
MontanaHawk05":17njkcxo said:
Hasselbeck":17njkcxo said:
vin.couve12":17njkcxo said:
Rams beat Eagles
Seahawks beat Rams.
Eagles lose 1 more.

Seahawks at least move up to 3 seed.

The only thing that's important is to win out.

The Rams winning would make our margin of error incredibly small of not only winning the division, but making the playoffs in general.

Our margin is already small: we lose one more game and there's a very likely chance that we're out entirely.

Very Likely?? @ 11-5??

You do realize that Carolina already has 4 losses and Atlanta has 5 right? And that they still play each other again....plus other games vs. New Orleans?

Not sure I agree.

Yes, I realize that. But these are two very good teams that are getting hot, and Atlanta holds a tiebreaker over us.

Polaris

Reaction score
My take: Friends don't let friends root for the Rams

Fade

Reaction score
Polaris":28tl04e9 said:

So you don't want a 1st round bye? If the Rams lose to the Eagles it will be pretty much impossible to get it.

Polaris

Reaction score
Fade":3hxuytqz said:
Polaris":3hxuytqz said:

So you don't want a 1st round bye? If the Rams lose to the Eagles it will be pretty much impossible to get it.

First win the division, then worry about the seeding. A Rams loss makes it easier to win the division and allows more margin for error. If you don't win the division, then you are on the road for the whole playoffs.

Fade

Reaction score
Polaris":ftu2tcj6 said:
Fade":ftu2tcj6 said:
Polaris":ftu2tcj6 said:

First win the division, then worry about the seeding. A Rams loss makes it easier to win the division and allows more margin for error. If you don't win the division, then you are on the road for the whole playoffs.

Seattle's chances of going to the Superbowl increase by literally 400% if they get the bye. Wild Card on the road, Wild Card at home. not much different. The Division is irrelevent if it doesn't come with a bye. See the last 2 years.

Go Rams.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I'm not exactly rooting for the Rams, but I am rooting against the Eagles. I'm a lot more interested in the bye than I am in home field advantage this season. Most of the NFC playoff games are going to look like coin flips this year.

Polaris

Reaction score
I don't think Seattle's chances at a bye are realistic even if we do win out (at 12-4). OTOH we do have a very realistic shot at winning the division and a Rams loss would make that easier. Bird in hand.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
To get a first round bye, we need the Saints to lose two games (they still have to play the Falcons twice), and we need the Eagles to lose two games (@Rams, @Giants, then at home against the Raiders and Cowboys). Saints have the tiebreaker over the Seahawks, so we need them to finish 11-5 or worse. Another option would be for the Vikings to completely nosedive, losing their next three games, though that seems less likely that the other possibilities. Of course, this all assumes the Seahawks win their next four games.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2l97a7ts said:
Hawkpower":2l97a7ts said:
MontanaHawk05":2l97a7ts said:
Hasselbeck":2l97a7ts said:

Very Likely?? @ 11-5??

You do realize that Carolina already has 4 losses and Atlanta has 5 right? And that they still play each other again....plus other games vs. New Orleans?

Not sure I agree.

Yes, I realize that. But these are two very good teams that are getting hot, and Atlanta holds a tiebreaker over us.

Both those teams would have to win out to knock us out at 11-5.

Atlanta plays the Saints twice and Carolina. They are not going undefeated down the stretch.

Carolina plays Atlanta, Minnesota and Green Bay possibly with Rodgers. They are not going undefeated either.

An 11-5 Hawks team makes the playoffs.

original poster

Reaction score
11-5 gets us the 5th or 6th seed IMO.

12-4 gets us the 2nd or 3rd seed most likely.

If we win out, we win the division anyway and play at home in the wildcard.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Either way, I hope Carson Wentz plays like poop, so that Wilson moves further up in the MVP race as the alternative to Brady.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
We need that second seed. Odds of making the SB go way up if you are 1 or 2 seed. Go big or go home. Go Rams.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
fenderbender123":2stcm7ck said:
We need that second seed. Odds of making the SB go way up if you are 1 or 2 seed. Go big or go home. Go Rams.

Love it.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
I would gladly trade a slim chance at the #1 seed for a good chance at the division crown. The wildcard is slipping away faster than the division at this point. Punch your ticket to the dance, first class or coach, then figure it out from there.

original poster

Reaction score
If Seattle win Sunday and so do the Rams, Seattle will still be atop the NFCW if they win against LA the following Sunday.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":1t7v80sb said:
I would gladly trade a slim chance at the #1 seed for a good chance at the division crown. The wildcard is slipping away faster than the division at this point. Punch your ticket to the dance, first class or coach, then figure it out from there.

Of course, when it comes to firing coaches, just getting to the playoffs isn't nearly good enough.

For me, it doesn't need to be the #1 seed. #2 or #3 is better than #5.

Followthelegion

Reaction score
Looking at the playoff outcomes, with a Seattle win out there is a good chance of the number 2 seed, with the NFC South beating each other and the Rams taking the other wildcard.

I for one am not fussed at all if the Rams win this week, and hand Eagles their 3rd loss. Basically if we get in a 3 way tie at the top of NFC with 12-4 records, it looks like Seattle takes the 2 seed in all scenarios...I'll now wait to see if someone more knowledgeable than me blows this theory into the water.

Polaris

Reaction score
original poster":2ncdhlc3 said:
If Seattle win Sunday and so do the Rams, Seattle will still be atop the NFCW if they win against LA the following Sunday.

That is true but Seattle would have absolutely no margin to spare since the Seahawks would be on top because of head to head. OTOH, if the Rams lose and Seattle wins, then Seattle can essentially take the division with a win against the Rams the following week since Seattle would have to lose out and the Rams would have to win out in order for the Rams to take the NFC West. The Rams could easily win out after Seattle, but it's very unlikely that Seattle would lose out.

Thus I agree with the poster above: Better to root for a scenario where your chance for a division crown is almost guaranteed rather than root for a scenario of first round bye or nothing. Just my take.