Is there a valid reason to root for the Rams next week?

NJlargent

Reaction score
If we lose to Jax (and we are currently 2.5 point underdogs) and the Rams beat the eagles, we are 2 back with 3 to play and with Atlanta winning last night we could be out of the playoffs if we don’t win the division. And there are Seattle fans rooting for the Rams on Sunday.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
StoneCold":2l0eisz6 said:
Mad Dog":2l0eisz6 said:
We are in a dog fight for the division. All this talk of byes is meaningless if we don't take the division. We could easily beat the Rams in 2 weeks, go 2-2 down the stretch with road losses to Dallas and Jax and lose the division and be out of the playoffs entirely.

As such, I will be cheering against the Rams every week until we've secured the division title.

Goals are always in this heirarchy: Win your Division -> Get a Bye -> Get the top seed. Don't go hoping for byes and top seeds when the division goal hasn't been met yet.

I'm hoping for a Super Bowl win and we haven't even got to the playoffs, so I think it's OK to hope for whatever I want.

True we can "pie in the sky" hope for a lot of things. I hope I win powerball before I retire.
But it's still silly to put the cart before the horse in my book.

Until the Seahawks win the division, I'll be cheering against the Rams. I have little faith that we will win out given the nature of our four opponents and the nature of the Seahawks themselves. So getting as many losses on the Rams is probably going to be exceedingly important.

Not that my cheering for either team will make a whit of difference.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
RCATES":1f18c1e1 said:
No way the second seed is happening. First off neither Vikings or Eagles are dropping two of their next 4 games. Lastly Seattle's remaining schedule is brutal. Jags( elite defense/ running game) on the road, Incredibly balanced Rams team at the Clink where Hawks have layed stinkers this year, Cowboys on the Road with a Hungry Zeke back, Cardinals at the Clink with Palmer likely being back. Brutal remaining schedule. You wan't Rams to lose Sunday 100%. We want the division.

That's not really that brutal.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
NJlargent":18kwbpyr said:
If we lose to Jax (and we are currently 2.5 point underdogs) and the Rams beat the eagles, we are 2 back with 3 to play and with Atlanta winning last night we could be out of the playoffs if we don’t win the division. And there are Seattle fans rooting for the Rams on Sunday.

You're getting a little twisted around the axle. It's not as if who we root for has any effect on who actually wins.

White Knight

Reaction score
I want the two seed. Bye week home divisional is incredibly valuable this season. As the Falcons won, need NO to drop one of the last three and were up on them. Now that the first shoe has dropped, definitely going to root for the Rams, as that means one more loss (essentially rooting for Dallas to beat the Eagles wk 17) and we get the two seed.

I’m basically of the opinion that if we don’t win the last four then seeding won’t really matter; home or away for the wild card doesn’t make that much difference for this specific Seahawks team. A bye week and home game makes a huge difference.

Fade

Reaction score
Don't sleep on the Raiders guys, they play the Eagles @ night. Circadian rhythms are a real thing, and west coast teams have an advantage playing at night. The Rams game is the big one though.

If the Hawks win, and the Rams win this week. The #2 seed will be right there. Only 2 more losses will need to happen (1 by the Eagles, 1 by the Saints) over the final 3 weeks if the Hawks take care of their business.

OP
OP
S

StoneCold

Reaction score
From this thread I have learned:

1. The number 1 seed is possible though unlikely.
2. The number 2 seed is possible and we don't need a lot of help to get there.
3. The number 3 and 4 seeds are very possible.
4. Being the 5 or 6 seed is possible, but only if bad things happen.
5. We could miss the playoffs though that is unlikely.

All of my rooting is predicated on the Hawks winning out.

Go Rams!

Polaris

Reaction score
If the Hawks win out, they win the NFC West and are no worse than the #4 seed and likely higher.

OP
OP
S

StoneCold

Reaction score
If you don't understand why this was worth rooting for before we lost then you haven't been thinking clearly or don't understand math. Of course it was predicated on us winning. I will always root for the best possible outcome given the current possibilities. As it worked out it we lost and it was good the Eagles won as we still have a chance at the division title. It's not about rooting for the wrong or right outcome, it's about rooting for the best outcome. People coming in here and doing the "I told you so" are missing the point.

SPIRITOF12

Reaction score
A valid reason to root for the RAMS. Your mail is delivered to a LA zip code.

Fade

Reaction score
The season is pretty much over now. If you want to watch how it ends, watch last season, and the season before. They needed the #2 Seed.

The best case scenario is they get to the divisional round & get blown out. That is the best case scenario.

Needed the #2.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
So are we still happy about hoping for the Rams to beat the Eagles?

SMH at people that just don't get how razor thin the margins between playoffs and no playoffs. We need to win our division. So never cheer for a rival to win.

And if you think all seasons that don't end in a championship are failures, then I'd really like to know the bar for success you've set for yourself. Winning a SB is perhaps the toughest things to do in sports. Its so damn competitive. I doubt any of us have even come close to that degree of success in our lives and yet we complain about a team that fails in that task.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Fade":2iz4nd3r said:
The season is pretty much over now. If you want to watch how it ends, watch last season, and the season before. They needed the #2 Seed.

The best case scenario is they get to the divisional round & get blown out. That is the best case scenario.

Needed the #2.

You are looking at this as a determinist, when you should be considering probability. The probability may be low, but there still exists a chance to compete for a Super Bowl without being a No. 1 or 2 seed. Upsets happen all the time. 10 wild-card teams have advanced to the Super Bowl. Once you get into the playoffs, the single-game-elimination madness begins.

OP
OP
S

StoneCold

Reaction score
Mad Dog":yzukuvc4 said:
So are we still happy about hoping for the Rams to beat the Eagles?

SMH at people that just don't get how razor thin the margins between playoffs and no playoffs. We need to win our division. So never cheer for a rival to win.

And if you think all seasons that don't end in a championship are failures, then I'd really like to know the bar for success you've set for yourself. Winning a SB is perhaps the toughest things to do in sports. Its so damn competitive. I doubt any of us have even come close to that degree of success in our lives and yet we complain about a team that fails in that task.

You are being thick skulled or purposefully misreading what I've written.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
NJlargent":27vevoe6 said:
Good job by all the Go Rams guys. LOL

Are you seriously suggesting that our rooting had anything to do with the Rams losing? Yes or no answer.

NJlargent

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":19q625ac said:
NJlargent":19q625ac said:

Are you seriously suggesting that our rooting had anything to do with the Rams losing? Yes or no answer.

No

But I thought rooting for the Rams was ludicrous. You never root for your rival, especially when looking up.

OP
OP
S

StoneCold

Reaction score
NJlargent":li0808u5 said:
MontanaHawk05":li0808u5 said:
NJlargent":li0808u5 said:

No

But I thought rooting for the Rams was ludicrous. You never root for your rival, especially when looking up.

What if we'd have played the early game and won? Do we then have your blessing to root for the Rams?

Latest posts