Jayden Daniels

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
This. I look for how the player played in bigtime situations. Does Daniels have any to point to at all?
Maybe his game against Alabama last season? That was a big win, but his numbers in that game aren't very impressive, less than 200 yards passing with 1 TD and a rush TD, and a QBR of 85.

NoGain

Reaction score
He's moved ahead of Penix for me, as my #3 QB. He's the guy in this draft that I would target for us.

Caleb & Drake should be the first two QB's off the board. But if Daniels is within striking distance, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger.
Yep. Why not? He's elusive. He throws the deep ball with accuracy. He's not scared to make something happen. His TD to interception rate is incredibly good. He's confident.

Let's play Lotto and go out and get him. At least we could say that we tried.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Yep. Why not? He's elusive. He throws the deep ball with accuracy. He's not scared to make something happen. His TD to interception rate is incredibly good. He's confident.

Let's play Lotto and go out and get him. At least we could say that we tried.
He's dynamic.

I'm not sure he'll even be a realistic option for us, as the draft approaches. But the upside is there.

Last edited:

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Daniels would be a fantastic fit for Carroll in specific. One thing no one can take away from Carroll is that his teams have always provided a really robust safety net for the quarterback to lean on. Really helps them grow.

Get him in the organization, get him learning how to operate within structure, get him working on his feet and his mechanics, get him learning how to slide. Beyond that, hell, let the dude shine. He's got the playmaking talent you can't teach.

That said, if Carroll moves on, Jayden's a good fit for a lot of coaches I'd think. Maybe not a Shanny disciple.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Not even close to NFL starter caliber.

Plenty of talent. Processes poorly, not great under pressure. Doesn't make key throws when he needs to.

I want no part of him. Let someone else pick him up like someone else did with AR. Talent is great. But if you can't make the throws when you need to, what is the point? Otherwise you are just a crappier Hurts at that point. Likely worse.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Not even close to NFL starter caliber.

Plenty of talent. Processes poorly, not great under pressure. Doesn't make key throws when he needs to.

I want no part of him. Let someone else pick him up like someone else did with AR. Talent is great. But if you can't make the throws when you need to, what is the point? Otherwise you are just a crappier Hurts at that point. Likely worse.
I don't see what you see there. He's not very polished as a passer, but he's better than Hurts was at it coming out. I don't see any evidence he can't make said key throws. He also makes up for a lot of that lack of polish with some absurd ability on the ground. Any run game with him on the field will instantly be an absolute danger to opposing defenses.

I don't think he's ready day 1, but I don't see a guy who is incapable of making those throws.

NoGain

Reaction score
Talent is great. But if you can't make the throws when you need to, what is the point? Otherwise you are just a crappier Hurts at that point. Likely worse.
I've watched some of his games and his tape and I don't see how anyone can say "he can't make the throws when you need to." The guy was an extremely accurate passer this year, making all kinds of throws all over the field. No, I don't know if he'll pan out as an elite talent in the pros, but there's not much to suggest from last year that he's incapable of it.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
If a guy CAN make all the throws, but then doesn't? Especially in key situations? The issue is likely less about Talent than Will. Yes, people can change. They rarely do.
My worry is that JD is mentally weak. Same issue I had with Bryce Young last year.
If you cannot win at LSU or Bama, with all the advantages being on that those teams confer? You probably are not going to win the NFL with less advantages.

How many 4th quarter comebacks against ranked teams did JD drive? (Not stuff like the TD against A&M to take the lead again, which was a short field gift by the defense. How many times did JD drive down the field, when behind, to take the lead?)
Now how many opportunities did he have?

Chevy

Reaction score

Like you said, "I don't think he's a realistic option for us". We win a couple of more games and we will have had a late season winning streak to take us out of range of drafting, or even the possibility us trading up, for Daniels.

I think we'll have to start looking harder at the other QBs not named Daniels, Williams, or Maye.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Like you said, "I don't think he's a realistic option for us". We win a couple of more games and we will have had a late season winning streak to take us out of range of drafting, or even the possibility us trading up, for Daniels.

I think we'll have to start looking harder at the other QBs not named Daniels, Williams, or Maye.
Yeah, that's definitely a concern.

Last edited:

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I don't follow the draft a whole lot, but is it normal to think injury history is an issue when a college player has started every single game their junior and senior years?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Exactly. He proved that he can stay healthy. Daniels will gone way before our pick anyway. Meh.
Penix or Bo and 3. I'm good with either.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
I don't follow the draft a whole lot, but is it normal to think injury history is an issue when a college player has started every single game their junior and senior years?
It’s not just how likely the player is to be injured again, but also what permanent damage has been done.

Are there physical limitations that lead to Penix’s change in playing style and will an additional injury cause greater damage due to accumulation? All part of the risk calculation.

I’ve also heard speculation that the late season slump in stats was due to playing through injury. If true, kudos for gutting it out, but magnifies the injury prone concerns.

On a side note...does anyone else worry that the funky, low release will result in batted balls when not blessed with a dominant o-line.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
We are drafting a DB in round one and every single one of you knows that.
They've only drafted 2 first round DBs in their 14 drafts, although I guess we can count the Adams trade.

I could see a safety, but it's far from a foregone conclusion.

Scout

Reaction score
Daniels is going to rise because of his potential on draft day. But it is hard to say which teams will need a QB heading into 2024. Daniels needs to go to a team that gives him time to develop.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Daniels is going to rise because of his potential on draft day. But it is hard to say which teams will need a QB heading into 2024. Daniels needs to go to a team that gives him time to develop.
They don't do that anymore.
You start early if your supposed to be a franchise QB.