Jermaine Kearse won't give hometown discount to Seahawks

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
BullHawk33":qwmc5qrk said:
As Bennett said, there is no such thing as a hometown discount.

Other than the one he claimed to take lol?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2n6z13mv said:
Popeyejones":2n6z13mv said:
Sgt. Largent":2n6z13mv said:
I don't think he'll have a choice.

Like Doug before him, Kearse's value is much higher within our system and team. It took him what 2-3 full seasons to be the kind of WR he is now learning what Russell needed him to do?

I highly doubt another team is going to give him a big contract offer, as Kearse is the textbook definition of a "system player." Not tall, not fast, not particularly long or quick.............but smart and savvy within our system.

Does that to you introduce the question of if he's even that valuable to the Seahawks, then?

As far as fitting well within the system goes the Seahawks seem to really have knack for cobbling together guys who are "right" (e.g. Tate, Baldwin, Kearse, Lockett) which in a weird way makes them kind of expendable too.

Kearse is a poor man's Baldwin, so yeah he's still worth keeping, but not at free agent prices.

So we'll do the same thing we did with Doug, let him put out the feelers, find out there's not much interest, then he'll be more open to our lowball offer.

I'd resign Kearse for around 2M a year, that's about right. But if someone gives him more? No thanks, I think there's 30 Kearse's in the league we could bring in that'd be fine in our system.

Hmmm, yeah, I was totally only thinking about it from a team-wide cap perspective but from the perspective you're taking too I think you're probably right. Hadn't really thought about it like that until your post. Thanks.

OP
OP
M

massari

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1zfya6bh said:
Popeyejones":1zfya6bh said:
Sgt. Largent":1zfya6bh said:
I don't think he'll have a choice.

Like Doug before him, Kearse's value is much higher within our system and team. It took him what 2-3 full seasons to be the kind of WR he is now learning what Russell needed him to do?

I highly doubt another team is going to give him a big contract offer, as Kearse is the textbook definition of a "system player." Not tall, not fast, not particularly long or quick.............but smart and savvy within our system.

Does that to you introduce the question of if he's even that valuable to the Seahawks, then?

As far as fitting well within the system goes the Seahawks seem to really have knack for cobbling together guys who are "right" (e.g. Tate, Baldwin, Kearse, Lockett) which in a weird way makes them kind of expendable too.

I'd resign Kearse for around 2M a year, that's about right. But if someone gives him more? No thanks, I think there's 30 Kearse's in the league we could bring in that'd be fine in our system.
This.

Also, It seems to be a pretty shallow WR group in free agency this year which means he'll probably get slightly overpaid.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":3oufdcmn said:
The Hawks have to be moving on from guys not on rookie deals.

Our overall depth as a team has taken a hit because we haven't drafted many replacements and our starters have gotten a lot more expensive so we can't afford high quality depth.

Draft another WR, sign another UDFA WR (we've actually had more luck with them than drafted WRs) give a little more attention to the fringe WRs in developing them, and hope that Richardson stays healthy until Graham gets back.

The Hawks will need to pick up another TE receiving option better than Helfet and Coffman anyway, so that's a little extra receiving help that we didn't have after Graham went down.

The Hawks probably won't replace Kearse with someone who makes as many memorable catches, but up until this season Kearse was very spotty. Besides, if the Hawks improve their poor 1st half offense we won't need many awesome catches in the 4th quarter.

Couldn't disagree more with this. In the most loaded draft of all-time for WR's, we wound up with a guy thats had two season ending injuries and another guy who couldn't get on the field in his 2nd year in the league (and still can't get on the field with a team that has basically 1 WR)

I love JS but he has shown no ability to hit on a WR in the draft. I guess Lockett is technically a hit at WR, however he was predominantly brought in to be our KR/PR for the next decade. The WR thing was a pleasant surprise. Jermaine Kearse is huge for Wilson because he knows how to get open when Wilson is running for his life. Look at how long it took Jimmy Graham to adjust to that. Percy Harvin never was able to.

I get the notion of "we need to replace veterans with cheaper rookies" but sometimes you have to bite the bullet and keep the veteran and spend the money.

Sorry but Kevin Smith and Kasen Williams don't get me excited at all. I wouldn't be surprised if either of these guys didn't even make the team next year when the next group of UDFA's come on through.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3mk4r3i4 said:
bjornanderson21":3mk4r3i4 said:

Our overall depth as a team has taken a hit because we haven't drafted many replacements and our starters have gotten a lot more expensive so we can't afford high quality depth.

Draft another WR, sign another UDFA WR (we've actually had more luck with them than drafted WRs) give a little more attention to the fringe WRs in developing them, and hope that Richardson stays healthy until Graham gets back.

The Hawks will need to pick up another TE receiving option better than Helfet and Coffman anyway, so that's a little extra receiving help that we didn't have after Graham went down.

The Hawks probably won't replace Kearse with someone who makes as many memorable catches, but up until this season Kearse was very spotty. Besides, if the Hawks improve their poor 1st half offense we won't need many awesome catches in the 4th quarter.

Couldn't disagree more with this. In the most loaded draft of all-time for WR's, we wound up with a guy thats had two season ending injuries and another guy who couldn't get on the field in his 2nd year in the league (and still can't get on the field with a team that has basically 1 WR)

I love JS but he has shown no ability to hit on a WR in the draft. I guess Lockett is technically a hit at WR, however he was predominantly brought in to be our KR/PR for the next decade. The WR thing was a pleasant surprise. Jermaine Kearse is huge for Wilson because he knows how to get open when Wilson is running for his life. Look at how long it took Jimmy Graham to adjust to that. Percy Harvin never was able to.

I get the notion of "we need to replace veterans with cheaper rookies" but sometimes you have to bite the bullet and keep the veteran and spend the money.

Sorry but Kevin Smith and Kasen Williams don't get me excited at all. I wouldn't be surprised if either of these guys didn't even make the team next year when the next group of UDFA's come on through.

Lockett was a grand slam.

OP
OP
M

massari

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":19kgkige said:
bjornanderson21":19kgkige said:

he was predominantly brought in to be our KR/PR for the next decade. The WR thing was a pleasant surprise.

Why would you think this? Before the draft even began, analysts were comparing him to Antonio Brown, giving breakdowns on how great of a WR he is.

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=ch ... io%20brown

I'm sure JS knew what he was doing when he traded up to get him. Would JS give up all those picks if he thought Lockett was just a valuable KR/PR?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
A year ago, I woulda laughed, but Kearse had a great contract year and found a niche in the spread system Pete and Bevell put together. I think he'll be worth the higher price to Seattle.

That said, some dumb, desperate team will offer him more to play for an inferior QB.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Not saying anybody on this board has said this, but anybody saying he shouldn't say this is delusional.

In fact, I have major respect for Kearse for openly saying he will do what is best for his family. Sometimes we forget, but these guys are human and have a rare opportunity to change generations of their family.

Now, Kearse is getting Jay-Z money, but if he can get himself $12M guaranteed somewhere...that changes things drastically in the long run for him.

Likewise, I have major respect for Bruce Irvin saying what he said. Coaches believed in him, developed him, and he's a part of a brotherhood.

Rough ending to the season, but damn do I love this team.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Mtjhoyas":t4sdz55w said:
Now, Kearse is getting Jay-Z money, but if he can get himself $12M guaranteed somewhere...that changes things drastically in the long run for him.

Not sure how or why any team would give Kearse 12M guaranteed.

He's a savvy workmanlike receiver, as are 50 other dudes in this league. His highest value is here, and IMO it's not even close to being something he can carry with him to another team.

Kearse is a borderline 3-4 receiver worth 1-2M tops elsewhere, and a 2-3 receiver here worth 2-3M probably. Which is what I think we'll give him, and that's fine. Dude's been clutch, and I'd love to see him stay.

HawkGA

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":nv8g84hw said:
HawkGA":nv8g84hw said:
If I were a player of any worth, I would include a lot of things other than just money in my final evaluation. Somebody mentioned no income tax. That's a big deal and would mean some states would need to pay in the neighborhood of 10% for my services (income tax plus the fact that you get taxed on the extra you earn so you have to earn even more to cover the higher taxes). I would also consider whether the team was a winner or not. This wouldn't necessarily be a huge consideration but it would cross some teams off the list. For example, I wouldn't play for Cleveland, not matter how much money they threw at me (unless of course they were the only one throwing money at me).

So whereas I don't think Kearse should give a hometown discount, I think there are a lot of factors that work in favor of choosing Seattle over other locations.
Tax is a factor, but players are taxed on their game check in the state the game was played. So even the Hawks end up paying state taxes because they play games in states with SIT, so it mitigates the benefit a little bit.

Good point.

timmat

Reaction score
I just wonder how much money we're really talking here. He's a 3rd WR, and I think plays that role great on our team. If he wants top-tier #2 money, that's a problem I guess.

I also wouldn't want to discount the level of comfort Russell has with him. One of the things we see Russell struggling with still at times is anticipation - throwing it before you see it. One of the guys he seems willing to "let it fly" to is Jermaine. If we really are fully turning over the Keys to Wilson next season, how much does Russ value Kearse?

For a guy that lacks speed, he sure seems to end up behind defenses making over-the-top TD catches in big moments.

He is inconsistent, but that's why he's a #3 / borderline #2 type of guy, and hopefully paid as such.

I also can't recall another non-marquee (for lack of a better term) receiver with SO many signature catches / performances:

- TD in 4th quarter to help win Panthers game in 2013
- 4th down TD in NFC Championship game vs. 49ers
- Incredible catch and run TD in Super Bowl XLVIII (which would get much more publicity had the game not been such a blowout)
- One-handed TD catch in last year's divisional playoff game vs. Panthers
- Game-ending TD catch in NFC Championship game vs Packers (after a rough game up to that point)
- Insane juggling catch in 4th quarter of Super Bowl XLIX
- Two TD performance vs. Steelers in 2015
- Two TDs in 2016 divisional playoff game vs. Panthers

It's actually quite a resume of stepping up in big moments.

I'm hoping that the fact he seems to disappear at times in the regular season actually helps us keep him, by keeping the cost reasonable. If someone is going to grossly overpay, then of course we're not going to bid for his services.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
My guess: he goes elsewhere and both sides benefit financially, him in salary and the Hawks in cap space. Would love to be wrong though. Always love rooting for Hawks that are from Washington.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I'm torn on Kearse. He has made some unbelievable plays as a Seahawk. When he's failed its been in spectacular fashion as well. The 4 drops leading to picks in the NFCCG was almost unbelievable. The lazy block attempt in the SB that I think led to the interception. The Third down drop in the same SB that probably would of sealed the game. It's been a really weird career for Kearse. But like listed above he has been huge at critical times as well.

With the holes on the line and decisions having to be made at more critical positions I will be surprised if he is back in Seattle. Anything more than 3 million from Seattle would shock me. I love the guy and he really did improve a ton this past year but just not sure Seattle can afford to give him what he wants. I think someone gives him 3-4 and he's gone.

Richardson, a new draft pick, Williams and Smith will take over his role.

edit: I've been super hard on Kearse in the past but like I said above I really do think he improved quite a bit this year and I'm pulling for him to get paid and have a good career ahead of him regardless of where its at.

chris98251

Reaction score
As a UDFA he player for a minimum, he got a nice boost on a prove it contract, this is his time to really negotiate with his playing history now, he isn't saying he will break the bank, just that he's not giving a discount and wants fair value.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Mad Dog":28eoc4gx said:
It seems somewhere along the way the world has forgotten a very sage adage: money doesn't buy happiness.
A lot of those adages were pertinent to certain times & circumstances.
Like, with a lot more money?, you can afford the very best Worry Wrinkle Cream.
Or "Having Multi-Millions Can Be A Big Headache"....You Can Buy Lots Of Aleve. LOLOL
If he's offered a slightly bigger deal to play elsewhere, but has to pay a bigger Tax to do so, I would think he would actually come out ahead to stay & play for the team that took a chance on him, and gave him a shot, than to go elsewhere and maybe not light it up.
We'll see.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
He's a solid #3. He can have a great game and then a game like the playoff game last year with GB that he was " hands of stone" we are okay without him assuming Richardson and JG and full health.

Basis4day

Reaction score
If he can get a good deal from another team i harbor no ill will. Not like he was raking in the dough the past couple seasons.

McGruff

Reaction score
Estimates from (I think) over the cap.com have Kearse penciled in at 3 years, 9-10 million total. If that is in the ballpark, I think we'd want to keep him.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Seymour":nry7510o said:
Irvin making statements like he did sound good to the home team, but it's not a smart statement to make (big surprise), and when it boils down to signing one contract or the other, the bigger one will get signed.

I'm not sure that's entirely true. When a rival fanboard tried lure me away with promises of free bling and such, did I leave?..,,obviously the answer is no. While free bling and jerseys are fine, the thought of leaving Anguish's Zumba classes was just too painful to think about.

I'm a .Netter for life! :salute:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
McGruff":24ppqggm said:
Estimates from (I think) over the cap.com have Kearse penciled in at 3 years, 9-10 million total. If that is in the ballpark, I think we'd want to keep him.

That'd work for me, especially backloaded so we can bail in year 3.

But yeah I think 2-3M a year is the right ballpark.