JJ McCarthy Just Declared for the Draft

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Then how do you explain Mel Kiper listing him at #23 or Jordan Reid listing him at #12?
Mock drafts are there to draw clicks. All 3 CBS sports writers mock drafts don't have him in the 1st.

I just haven't seen anything from him that tells me he is going to be a good QB on sundays. He is very mobile and throws well on the run, but his arm seems very average.

FortWorthSeahawk

Reaction score
The reason I stated what I did was your first sentence refers to Kiper but says nothing about Reid which made me think you didn't read my whole post. I also linked another article from USA today that talks about why McCarthy and Davis' stock is rising so quickly on mock drafts.

To answer your questions, yes I do think JJ's skills translate to the NFL. He can run and he's an accurate thrower and can throw the deep ball. Although he's had a very good offensive line that doesn't mean he can't handle a pash rush. He's intelligent and creative when he needs to be. So yes I think he'll have a very good career in the NFL. I think people don't see the gaudy numbers and assume he's pedestrian. His numbers are more a product of the system he was in at Michigan than his skills as a QB.
Appreciate the response. I'll probably end up watching some more film/clips over the next couple of months to see how he performed against some of the tougher defenses he came across (Iowa, OSU, PSU, and others) just to see how he did from a personal level.

Just noticed we apparently had a thread from November that had some good discussion, if you are interested and didn't see it earlier: https://www.seahawks.net/threads/j-j-mccarthy.192890/

12forlife

Reaction score
Considering Seattle is going to draft at #16 this may be a viable option for the Seahawks next QB.

His numbers may not jump off the page but that's because Harbaugh didn't fully weaponize him like other programs would have. He's got 4.5 speed and a reliable arm and went 240/332 (72.3%) and 2991 passing yards with a passer rating of 167.4 and 200 rushing yards.

That puts him at a higher passer rating than Penix and more rushing yards. I get Penix's sample size is larger (4903 passing yards) but it still goes to show he's a solid QB that doesn't have gaudy numbers and might fall to the 16th selection without having to give up draft capital.
Please don't forget to mention he is a Winner 29-1 + a Natty!! I think JJ is the prime candidate for a QB you draft and let develop for a year to adjust, add weight and strength before you throw him to the wolves! No reason to have him broken like Burrow. Jj can make every throw required, + he has a lil Mahomes in him while making plays of script if needed. Would be interesting if JS called Harbaugh and said hey we're moving up to draft JJ, would you want to keep coaching him???

12forlife

Reaction score
…in the 3rd round…maybe.

Not feeling it fellow 12’s
Oh come on now! You have to love JJ because half of us do! lol!
I think he's an exciting prospect?
Is he a 1st rounder? I personally believe so, IMHO he is better then Levis & Pickett. Yes I know Levis was takin the top of the 2nd. I'm just saying he isn't lasting to no 3rd round.

GemCity

Reaction score
Oh come on now! You have to love JJ because half of us do! lol!
I think he's an exciting prospect?
Is he a 1st rounder? I personally believe so, IMHO he is better then Levis & Pickett. Yes I know Levis was takin the top of the 2nd. I'm just saying he isn't lasting to no 3rd round.
I agree with most of what you said but the QB pool comparison between this year and last isn’t to scale.

Now.., this is purely opinion but this QB class is waaayyy better.

I do think JJ is an exciting prospect but not necessarily a first rounder. I know teams have picked up some gems in later rounds, including the Hawks, but I’d like to see a “can’t miss guy” at QB if we’re looking at snatching one up in the first.

Caveat - a can’t miss guy is as rare as me popping out a golden egg.

12forlife

Reaction score
I agree with most of what you said but the QB pool comparison between this year and last isn’t to scale.

Now.., this is purely opinion but this QB class is waaayyy better.

I do think JJ is an exciting prospect but not necessarily a first rounder. I know teams have picked up some gems in later rounds, including the Hawks, but I’d like to see a “can’t miss guy” at QB if we’re looking at snatching one up in the first.

Caveat - a can’t miss guy is as rare as me popping out a golden egg.
Oh man without question this draft and next year's draft are stacked with potential starting QB. Direct result of Covid & transfer portal led to '21 & '22 drafts being dead as far as QBOTF. Now they are all running out of eligibility at the same time.
As for the the "can't miss" guy, you would be a rich man if you can crack the QB code. Seattle is usually in that #20-#26 range, so you either bet the house and mortgage your draft the next 2-3 yrs, or hope for some reason a guy falls to us?

GemCity

Reaction score
Oh man without question this draft and next year's draft are stacked with potential starting QB. Direct result of Covid & transfer portal led to '21 & '22 drafts being dead as far as QBOTF. Now they are all running out of eligibility at the same time.
As for the the "can't miss" guy, you would be a rich man if you can crack the QB code. Seattle is usually in that #20-#26 range, so you either bet the house and mortgage your draft the next 2-3 yrs, or hope for some reason a guy falls to us?
I wish i had the answer 12forlife. I will tell you this…I think he’s as solid as a pick as there can be. There’s a lot to be said about Michigan’s offensive game plan, JJs performance under pressure, and especially his decision making.

Now that I’ve confused whoever is reading this and thinking “why the hell not pick him then”, there’s so many holes on this team that I think they should trade back and get as many picks as they can. IF they spend the pick, I’d like to see a projected top 3 QB. If you go in with a QB in the first, GO IN.

Some of what I’m saying is wishful thinking…trade back, grab some defense—boom JJ in the 3rd.

One can dream.

Even though the draft and player projection(s) is a total CRAPSHOOT, if I’m picking a QB in the first, I’m going all out. I’d be trying to get Daniels or Maye (I don’t think as highly as some for Williams…who I think will go first).

Everyone likes to bring up where TB was drafted at…where Russ was drafted…absolute diamonds in the rough….

Grabbing a quality guy in the 3rd works too! JJ or Penix? We’d need lots of luck but that would be awesome.

If JS snatches him up early, I’ll have total and complete confidence that he’s the guy.

To be transparent, I’ve predicted defensive players performance really well draft wise. At least, in casual conversations with my son (11 year old Hawks fanatic) and friends. I can’t say the same for QBs.

When SF made that investment for Lance, I was convinced he was the next Joe Montana. 🙃.

Fresno Hawk

Reaction score
I think if he is there and there are no better Qb options left on the board, we should take him. Just don't trade up for him. He can sit for a year if he needs to.

olyfan63

Reaction score
JJ McCarthy has 4.5 speed??!! I read 4.6, but close enough.
Sure, let's take a flyer on a tall, skinny Michigan QB with leadership qualities. How bad could it possibly turn out?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
ESPN analyst Mel Kiper Jr. ranks McCarthy (6-foot-3, 202 pounds) as the No. 5 quarterback available in the draft. ESPN's Jordan Reid projected McCarthy to be selected with the No. 12 pick of the first round in his latest mock draft.

https://sports.yahoo.com/2024-nfl-draft-where-does-130011662.html
Kiper is a hack .. People who really know football - GMs have said
it over the years and stats do back their claims up.

QWERTY

Reaction score
He will be drafted in the 6th round. 5th if the team is desperate.

OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Kiper is a hack .. People who really know football - GMs have said
it over the years and stats do back their claims up.
Kiper was only one of the "experts" I mentioned and even if his take is rejected that doesn't negate my premise.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Kiper was only one of the "experts" I mentioned and even if his take is rejected that doesn't negate my premise.
He's about the only one who thinks the guy is a 1st rounder
besides a few Michigan fans on .Net

OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
He will be drafted in the 6th round. 5th if the team is desperate.
This is a ridiculous emotional take and shows how few people can objectively assess NFL talent. I hope you have the courage to come back here after the draft and admit you were wrong. This is the same kind of thinking that caused many to question the selection of Russel Wilson.