Kam holding out for more money

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
At some point, people need to acknowledge that the contracts and the way they work are broken.

A team member is expected to honor their contract, but the team can essentially release them at any time - but for the cap hit. I get the reasoning, but you have to acknowledge that as a player it would be looked upon as borderline dirty - especially when you start seeing large # contracts doled out that require teams to start cutting others IN contract but with higher cap #s.

I don't know the resolution but I think it is the canary in the coal mine signaling the big danger with "vanity contracts" where the large #s at the end are simply untenable and will really never be reached. It makes the agent look good but it ultimately hurts their client.

So here is the rub, you cannot really just offset that with performance bonuses when you consider part of the reason a player might not be able to perform might be due to injury in playing harder for the team (like an Earl Thomas situation in the playoffs last year). And individual performances are very difficult to assess out of context, because so many players have to depend upon the success of others to be able to ourperform averages anyway.

So the reasonable fan can clamor and say "Well that is how the contract is written and the NFLPA agreed to that deal, so if the player signs they should honor it". But considering a player does still want the team to succeed, I think they get stuck in some hard choices around signing time - not to mention the pressure from the fans (witness Russ or Wagner feedback as an example).

And one more thing, Kam puts himself out there on every play. Consider how hard he hits and what he does to a player (Vernon Davis, etc) when he hits them. Then go back to your basic high school physics = "For every action there is an equal and opposite re-action." Newton's third law. Every hit he levels someone creates a force that his body must absorb too. That takes a toll over time.

Kam is going to play all out for as long as he can. And he has given this team A LOT including, along with Browner, being the driving force that created the LOB.

I think Kam knows this cannot last and he is just trying to make sure he is fairly paid for all the wear and damage he is putting on himself. It is more about making sure he gets more guaranteed money, than then contract amount, because I think he reasonably knows he is never going to get that last year or even last two years.

He earned it, we just might not be able to afford it. But he has every right, given his work & sacrifice.

chris98251

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3s7z8nzk said:
At some point, people need to acknowledge that the contracts and the way they work are broken.

A team member is expected to honor their contract, but the team can essentially release them at any time - but for the cap hit. I get the reasoning, but you have to acknowledge that as a player it would be looked upon as borderline dirty - especially when you start seeing large # contracts doled out that require teams to start cutting others IN contract but with higher cap #s.

I don't know the resolution but I think it is the canary in the coal mine signaling the big danger with "vanity contracts" where the large #s at the end are simply untenable and will really never be reached. It makes the agent look good but it ultimately hurts their client.

So here is the rub, you cannot really just offset that with performance bonuses when you consider part of the reason a player might not be able to perform might be due to injury in playing harder for the team (like an Earl Thomas situation in the playoffs last year). And individual performances are very difficult to assess out of context, because so many players have to depend upon the success of others to be able to ourperform averages anyway.

So the reasonable fan can clamor and say "Well that is how the contract is written and the NFLPA agreed to that deal, so if the player signs they should honor it". But considering a player does still want the team to succeed, I think they get stuck in some hard choices around signing time - not to mention the pressure from the fans (witness Russ or Wagner feedback as an example).

And one more thing, Kam puts himself out there on every play. Consider how hard he hits and what he does to a player (Vernon Davis, etc) when he hits them. Then go back to your basic high school physics = "For every action there is an equal and opposite re-action." Newton's third law. Every hit he levels someone creates a force that his body must absorb too. That takes a toll over time.

Kam is going to play all out for as long as he can. And he has given this team A LOT including, along with Browner, being the driving force that created the LOB.

I think Kam knows this cannot last and he is just trying to make sure he is fairly paid for all the wear and damage he is putting on himself. It is more about making sure he gets more guaranteed money, than then contract amount, because I think he reasonably knows he is never going to get that last year or even last two years.

He earned it, we just might not be able to afford it. But he has every right, given his work & sacrifice.

Well you have this little problem, this is a club, you have to satisfy the league, your team and your owner, there is 20,000 plus players every year that want this job, only a few openings every year. It's a great gig, you play a game you enjoy, get paid even at the bottom tier more then most people make in ten years, if you make it big and are not a idiot you have fame, fortune are set for life.

Kam is of the second portion of the above statement, he gets endorsements, big contract, fame and his team supports him, he plays with other great players so it's not all on him.

Yes the players make the game, but with a good front office I am sure their view is we can replace him with someone that is hungry and wants a chance also if he becomes a person who is creating issues and puts himself ahead of the team.

Narniaman

Reaction score
Well, nobody has answered my question. . . . :roll:

. . . .which was. . . .

If the Seahawks can't pay Chancellor the extra bonus money that he wants because of cap considerations. . . .

just how much could they get for him in a trade??

He's certainly not of any value to the Seahawks if he doesn't play because he is demanding something the Seahawks can't do. . .

chris98251

Reaction score
Narniaman":2h400h1a said:

. . . .which was. . . .

If the Seahawks can't pay Chancellor the extra bonus money that he wants because of cap considerations. . . .

He's certainly not of any value to the Seahawks if he doesn't play because he is demanding something the Seahawks can't do. . .

He is under contract, he will be here, this is a Vet taking time to get his body right after it was beat up.

You won't get his value in a trade like this either, when the league knows your are selling because of a situation like this you get lowballed, only time you can win is if a contender loses a starter early and wants to keep their push because their window Is closing.

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
Narniaman":1z9ut8ds said:

. . . .which was. . . .

No chance Kam gets traded. None.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
c_hawkbob":ix00a07i said:
blkhwk":ix00a07i said:
Kam is great, but the SS position may be the easiest to replace in the secondary, maybe in the entire defense.

The Bears let an All-Pro safety, Todd Bell, sit out the entire 1985 season. His backup, Dave Duerson became an all pro that year. Bell never started again for the Bears and was eventually traded, and finished his career as a LB.

The Seahawks played most of a playoff year with Paul Moyer playing for the injured, all world, Ken Easley.

The Seahawks (again) replaced Ken Hamlin with a backup during the '05 SB run

Just some food for thought.....

I don't care how easy SS's are to replace (wait; they are?!), Kam is not easily replaced! Look how long it took us to replace Kenny Easley.
^^^This!!!

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I know it's not identical (Jones getting franchised for one) but hoping this is like Walter Jones missing camp every year and then showing up.

ringless

Reaction score
I have a couple questions.

Does anyone know if the team is actually fining Kam the 30K a day for his holdout? Or his Bonuses?

Is there any direct quotes from Kam himself on what he is looking for?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
ringless":1cqa0gfi said:

Does anyone know if the team is actually fining Kam the 30K a day for his holdout? Or his Bonuses?

Not as of yet, doesn't mean they won't though eventually.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Since I was "dead on" with my prediction involving when Russell signed his contract offer, I'll take a "whack" at when Kam returns. I'd guess that he signs on Thursday.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1a8cndlr said:
ringless":1a8cndlr said:

Yeah, they have forgiven many fines. Maybe they ought to start taking money. Seems like the players are emboldened by seeing so their teammates let off the hook.

Sealake80

Reaction score
@hommyhawk Avoid the piss test? OMG LOL you win the off season. My favorite post for comedy hands down. Hahahaha. Thank you.

rcaido

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":3rupquni said:
Sports Hernia":3rupquni said:
ringless":3rupquni said:

Yeah, they have forgiven many fines. Maybe they ought to start taking money. Seems like the players are emboldened by seeing so their teammates let off the hook.

I dont think they should fine him, it has yet to be enough of a distraction for the Seahawks, i mean it actually made Lynch a better player last year..Everyone was ready to let Lynch go, next man up bullshit i heard before the season started. Fining a player could cause animosity between players & FO, so its better to let it be unless we dont win the division or make the playoffs.

If Kam go kray kray like Harvin, trade him.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Kam might just be my favorite player on the defense, not best, but favorite. However, with the competition mantra preached , it's pretty risky to hold out. I'm not saying there's a good chance someone would take his spot, but why let someone take your 1st team snaps? Sherm was a nobody 5th round pick before he got a shot because of injury; why give someone another shot to open eyes?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
ringless":3buuqj5s said:

No direct quotes from the man himself, but he has been quoted by others as asking for more upfront guarantees. Wants some money moved up from later years to this year (like what Lynch got last season).

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
rcaido":1x9p7iji said:
I dont think they should fine him, it has yet to be enough of a distraction for the Seahawks, i mean it actually made Lynch a better player last year..Everyone was ready to let Lynch go, next man up bullshit i heard before the season started. Fining a player could cause animosity between players & FO, so its better to let it be unless we dont win the division or make the playoffs.

If he comes back before the season starts either with a bone thrown to him from the Hawks for a little more money, or on his own..............then I'm sure the Hawks will waive the fines.

BUT, if this gets contentious and Kam starts sitting out regular season games? Then hell yeah the Hawks are going to start deducting the fines from his paychecks. It's the only real leverage they have if this all goes south, withhold skrilla.

Willyeye

Reaction score
Not saying I want them to replace Kam, but what is everybody's thoughts on Eric Pinkins as a potential replacement?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Willyeye":1ok22ymj said:
Not saying I want them to replace Kam, but what is everybody's thoughts on Eric Pinkins as a potential replacement?

Right now Deshawn Shead is getting the snaps at strong safety.......so I guess there's your answer.