Let’s get real

Mike D in 332

Reaction score
Things have played out waaaay better than expected so far this season. I am very happy about that.
However, it feels like we are inflating a huge balloon that could be popped at any moment to me.
I see all the signs of a team on the rise and so far, no pressure because we are swimming in gravy. 😀
What I hope to see is a team that can grow without experiencing major set backs. I’m still trying to temper my expectations and gain true understanding of where we are.
Extend Geno? He’s been great but I think we need to wait for the offseason.
Will the Broncos continue to slide? I doubt they continue like this for a whole season.
Do we draft or sign a high cost QB next year? I’m torn. Love the thought of long term success with a great QB. Fear the foibles of settling on the wrong guy.
IMHO, we could mitigate the concerns by continuing to add front line talent on both lines. I say focus on being slobberknockers on both lines and fill in with athleticism everywhere else.
The Seahawks need the toughness everywhere else to make the skill position jobs easier.

Spohawks

Reaction score
Right now the Hawks only have 1 major flaw and thats stopping the run. If they can figure that out, the sky is the limit.

But more accurately, the Hawks suck at LB, that is where they need to focus on with 2 of their first 4 draft picks!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Geno doing well doesn't preclude the Hawks from drafting a QB, or seeing who's available in free agency.

All it does is give you more flexibility in where and how you get another QB. If Geno and Lock were complete disasters this year, then the matters over, you HAVE to use your top pick on a QB, or trade away picks to move up to get your QB.

Hopefully Geno continues to play well enough to where you don't have to do that.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Gotta play the games, sure, what we're seeing is not a fluke though. Is it more likely that PC and Co know more about Geno's nuanced abilities and acuity and mental state, and has built and brought in expert coaches to run a specific system that works? Or is it more likely it's a fluke, like hitting the lotto?

Vesuve

Reaction score
Things have played out waaaay better than expected so far this season. I am very happy about that.
However, it feels like we are inflating a huge balloon that could be popped at any moment to me.
I see all the signs of a team on the rise and so far, no pressure because we are swimming in gravy. 😀
What I hope to see is a team that can grow without experiencing major set backs. I’m still trying to temper my expectations and gain true understanding of where we are.
Extend Geno? He’s been great but I think we need to wait for the offseason.
Will the Broncos continue to slide? I doubt they continue like this for a whole season.
Do we draft or sign a high cost QB next year? I’m torn. Love the thought of long term success with a great QB. Fear the foibles of settling on the wrong guy.
IMHO, we could mitigate the concerns by continuing to add front line talent on both lines. I say focus on being slobberknockers on both lines and fill in with athleticism everywhere else.
The Seahawks need the toughness everywhere else to make the skill position jobs easier.
Yes, we do speculate....that's good for our minds...almost all of us do it...

But....we are only 6 games into the season....

Near the end of the season we can address the above questions.

Lots of twists and turns to come, as is always the case in the NFL.....Why we like to follow. :)

sc85sis

Reaction score
Geno doing well doesn't preclude the Hawks from drafting a QB, or seeing who's available in free agency.

All it does is give you more flexibility in where and how you get another QB. If Geno and Lock were complete disasters this year, then the matters over, you HAVE to use your top pick on a QB, or trade away picks to move up to get your QB.

Hopefully Geno continues to play well enough to where you don't have to do that.
This. Having Geno be successful gives them a lot more positional flexibility for next year’s draft - assuming they extend him for a couple years past this year. I would think Geno will give them the first chance to sign him past this season.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
They have to draft a QB. Next years draft is rich at the QB position. Geno will never be the guy to lead the team to anything better than an average record.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
This. Having Geno be successful gives them a lot more positional flexibility for next year’s draft - assuming they extend him for a couple years past this year. I would think Geno will give them the first chance to sign him past this season.

This is best case scenario right?

Draft a young stud QB to develop behind Geno for a year or so. We were lucky with Russ, he played with an all time great defense and RB while he was developing.

That's not the norm in the NFL. So best case scenario is extend Geno with a nice raise for another year or two, draft your QB and let him sit and learn for a half or full season.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score

Schneider was willing to trade peak Russ for the next great rookie contract phenom and IDed Mahomes and Allen for that trade. If there’s a QB they’re in love with like that, I would think they’ll take him. He can sit behind Geno still and that may ruffle his feathers but John’s job is the long term success of the team.

Seahawker

Reaction score
Schneider was willing to trade peak Russ for the next great rookie contract phenom and IDed Mahomes and Allen for that trade. If there’s a QB they’re in love with like that, I would think they’ll take him. He can sit behind Geno still and that may ruffle his feathers but John’s job is the long term success of the team.
JS was at both Mahomes & Allen's pro days. At this juncture Hooker or someone like him in the 2nd sounds good.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
They have to draft a QB. Next years draft is rich at the QB position. Geno will never be the guy to lead the team to anything better than an average record.

Good God man, is there ever a time in your life you feel optimistic? How in the world can you say definitively that Geno will never be the guy to lead our team to anything better than an average record? He is TOP 5 currently in the entire NFL! I am not saying he will sustain that, or maybe he does, but for the love of all that is holy and pure can you not find SOME source of optimism in your heart?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
This is best case scenario right?

Draft a young stud QB to develop behind Geno for a year or so. We were lucky with Russ, he played with an all time great defense and RB while he was developing.

That's not the norm in the NFL. So best case scenario is extend Geno with a nice raise for another year or two, draft your QB and let him sit and learn for a half or full season.
Agreed, I believe that John & Pete are likely going to do just that.
Just over a third the way through the season & Geno melding with his Offense the way he has, Pete & Co. still needs to secure his backup, UNLESS maybe they are thinking that in case of injury, Drew Lock might be good enough to come in and play without too much of a drop-off if need be.
I mean with Lock clipboarding the sidelines & watching Geno, I'm betting that he's mentally taking in what he needs to do to take his play to the next level, just like Geno did playing backup to Rivers & Wilson.
Only hitch there, is will he be content to stay on the sidelines, or is he going to want to play as a starter, sooner, rather than later.

renofox

Reaction score
Agreed, I believe that John & Pete are likely going to do just that.
Just over a third the way through the season & Geno melding with his Offense the way he has, Pete & Co. still needs to secure his backup, UNLESS maybe they are thinking that in case of injury, Drew Lock might be good enough to come in and play without too much of a drop-off if need be.
I mean with Lock clipboarding the sidelines & watching Geno, I'm betting that he's mentally taking in what he needs to do to take his play to the next level, just like Geno did playing backup to Rivers & Wilson.
Only hitch there, is will he be content to stay on the sidelines, or is he going to want to play as a starter, sooner, rather than later.
I can't see Lock getting a chance to compete for a starting gig anywhere other than Seattle.

I'm pretty sure he is (for now) pretty much locked into a lower salary backup/competition role for the Seahawks.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Good God man, is there ever a time in your life you feel optimistic? How in the world can you say definitively that Geno will never be the guy to lead our team to anything better than an average record? He is TOP 5 currently in the entire NFL! I am not saying he will sustain that, or maybe he does, but for the love of all that is holy and pure can you not find SOME source of optimism in your heart?
This is what I'm saying ;)

I have to say - and I'm a relative newb around here - but the negativity on this 'gap' year is just staggering to me. Particularly since many thought (including myself) that we had a 50% chance or greater of being a complete dumpster fire this year. You want hopeless? Go to the last Mora coached game that we attended. My god.

We're WORKING on it. Geno was a gift. Any given Sunday: "Sometimes you just have to ask the football gods: what did I do to deserve this?". And the nice thing with Geno? I don't see his method or mechanics or attitude changing. No fake "Go Hawks!" here. Just putting in the work. I even liked the helmet toss he did on the special teams choke - shows he cares. DK taking gatorade to 16? Again, priceless. Not sure what else ya want.

Walker is a gift if he doesn't get hurt. Woolen is coming along - he's kicking ass. BI's gonna AP the lads on defense. There's ALOT of positives this year. I ranted too for a couple weeks - but they are turning it around and there's both growth and hope.

Geno for Prez! There is much to be thankful for on this trough between CDN and American Thanksgivings!

pittpnthrs

Reaction score

Genos dinking and dunking has netted him some good stats so far. He's top 5 in stats and yet the teams still only 3-3. Like its been said, great stats, but he still lacks the intangibles to get the team to the next level. Optimism will come with the draft when they pick a QB. If they dont draft one, fans will eventually see through the Fools Gold. It just takes some longer than others.

Latest posts