Let’s get real

RiverDog

Reaction score
Maybe somewhere in the middle. Geno has been great so far. If he continues this for the whole season then put me in the sign Geno to a 3 year 35-40 mil deal AND draft JS’s favorite long term QB answer with the option to sit him while he learns or trade a newly high valued Veteran QB, GS, for some draft capital.
$35-40M? That would put him in the top 10 of all QB's. Tom Brady isn't making that kind of scratch. Barring an MVP season and SB win, there's no way the market will pay that kind of money for a QB that will turn 33 next season.

I've seen too many teams hitch their wagon to a quarterback they thought was the answer to their problems, like the Cards with Murray and the Raiders with Carr, and look where it's gotten them. The Browns sold the farm for a QB that won't take an NFL snap for nearly two years. I don't want to be one of those teams.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Be careful River, if you don't say that Geno is top 5, you're a "hater"
He's balling out this year, but 35 plus mil? No

OP
OP
M

Mike D in 332

Reaction score
$35-40M? That would put him in the top 10 of all QB's. Tom Brady isn't making that kind of scratch. Barring an MVP season and SB win, there's no way the market will pay that kind of money for a QB that will turn 33 next season.

I've seen too many teams hitch their wagon to a quarterback they thought was the answer to their problems, like the Cards with Murray and the Raiders with Carr, and look where it's gotten them. The Browns sold the farm for a QB that won't take an NFL snap for nearly two years. I don't want to be one of those teams.
I’m talking total money35-40 mil divided by three

RiverDog

Reaction score
I’m talking total money35-40 mil divided by three
OK, my bad on the annual amount. The $12M or so per year would be reasonable, but I wouldn't commit to 3 years. We'll see where we stand at the end of the season, what our draft positioning looks like, and how the 2023 QB class shapes up and go from there.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score

What are you basing this definitive statement on? Have you looked at contracts signed by starting QBs entering their age 33 or older seasons? You don't even have to look at historical data, you can just look at contracts signed in the last couple of offseasons.
OK, my bad on the annual amount. The $12M or so per year would be reasonable, but I wouldn't commit to 3 years. We'll see where we stand at the end of the season, what our draft positioning looks like, and how the 2023 QB class shapes up and go from there.
Why do you not want to commit to 3 years? Especially at $12M/year. If $12-15M/year for 3 years gets it done, the Hawks do that deal now and count themselves incredibly fortunate. Realistically it is going to take quite a bit more than that to lock Geno into a multi-year deal. Geno has played himself into a starting QB value contract; he has earned that next contract. I am hoping it is with the Hawks.