lil' birdie twittered in my ear...

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Pass rush is our biggest issue right now. We win both the last 2 games with a good pass rush.

kearly

Reaction score
For a 3rd rounder, I'm on board. Rarely, a special series of events will occur, and a third rounder will turn into Brandon Mebane or Russell Wilson. More often, it turns into Deon Butler, John Moffitt or Jordan Hill. And if it's one of those former situations where you see a very special player fall into the third round, a GM has the option to trade up if needed.

The money part also bothers me little. Even if the trade is a disaster and Seattle cuts Jackson next offseason, they won't be on the hook for almost any guaranteed money and all that will be lost is a 3rd round pick. The worst case scenario in this trade is relatively harmless.

At this stage in his career, I see Jackson as being like a healthy Sidney Rice. Sidney Rice was not worth $9 million per year to Seattle. Last year he averaged just two catches per game played. But even with such a tiny workload, the disrespect of our WRs by defensive coordinators only began after Sidney Rice was put on IR. Rice didn't have a big impact on the stat sheet, but he had a significant impact on the offense.

Seattle needs a true #1 WR or someone who's at least a debatable #1. Our offense also needs a big rebounder type. Getting both of those in the same player isn't easy. These guys don't grow on trees. Is Vincent Jackson worth $10 million a year to the Seahawks? No. His worth to Seattle might be closer to the kind of money Tate took in Detroit. But sometimes if you need something that's hard to get, you have no choice but to pay a little extra to get it.

The Rams game was a breakout of sorts for Wilson, but we shouldn't overlook the fact that the Rams had prepared for a very different Seahawks team all week. The Panthers will not be as under-prepared. Neither will all the opponents after that. We might feel okay without that big receiver right now, but I think there's a very good chance we'll wish we had one when hitting the NFC West gauntlet at the end of the season.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2p2s84pv said:
As interesting as this is.. I'm so wary of the Seahawks trading for a WR now after the Branch and Harvin fleecings.

Go get DL help .. Or even an OT if one were available. Actually think our WR's are solid.

I agree with this post.

cesame

Reaction score
It's worrisome that Jackson has continually had one of the worst target/reception ratios in football. It might be the worst.

That said, he's reportedly a high character guy and a leader in the locker room. The opposite of Percy.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
12thMan, you are always welcome here. The majority of us really appreciate hearing the rumblings that you get. Thanks for coming back, hope you come back more often!

Largent80

Reaction score
Maybe we should just get him in the hopes our offense can outscore the opposition AND the refs.

Because this defense is not going anywhere soon.

getnasty

Reaction score
If we think we can win this season which I think we do, then go get him. I know Russell and DBF just had a good game but Doug Baldwin is a #2 WR in this league, Kearse is as #3 WR in this league, Richardson is a #4 WR in this league. These guys wont look as good when they see better secondarys. Does anyone love the Sound of Peterson vs Baldwin, Cromartie vs Kearse?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Not opposed to the move. Money is manageable. Age should indicate at least 3 years of decent production.

Ultimately you have to look at available upgrades. Could we use OT/OL/DL help? Sure. But nobody trades top shelf pass rush help. It's stockpiled by teams. Before someone brings up the Clemons trade -- his pedigree was pretty much garbage before he got here.

The pool of available players may not be stacked where you need it to be. But if trading for VJ means we can use draft picks in the draft for other positions -- that may be the best total solution. UFA/Trade and draft strategies are interconnected. Writing off upgrades in one avenue is short sighted. And it's not likely this FO is going to all of a sudden ignore talent streams just because it doesn't have what we need most. Eliminating slight needs via trade can provide a more focused effort to address other needs via the draft.

Chapow

Reaction score
It's weird how some people act like just because the 'Hawks are looking at acquiring a 6'5" #1 WR that means that they are definitely not looking to improve other areas of the team.

razgriz737

Reaction score
When was the last team we traded for a receiver and it worked out well for us? The best I can think of is Sidney Rice. Blanking out here.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Chapow":1k55wvfi said:
It's weird how some people act like just because the 'Hawks are looking at acquiring a 6'5" #1 WR that means that they are definitely not looking to improve other areas of the team.

I think Pete and John have made it abundantly clear that they are always looking to see how they can upgrade the team.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
razgriz737":32h661at said:
When was the last team we traded for a receiver and it worked out well for us? The best I can think of is Sidney Rice. Blanking out here.

We didn't trade for Rice. He was a FA signing.

The last trade for a WR that worked out was probably Largent. Not even being sarcastic either.

razgriz737

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3r3rrzri said:
razgriz737":3r3rrzri said:

We didn't trade for Rice. He was a FA signing.

The last trade for a WR that worked out was probably Largent. Not even being sarcastic either.
Oops, yep you're right.

Basis4day

Reaction score
kidhawk":2cooye9i said:
Chapow":2cooye9i said:

I think Pete and John have made it abundantly clear that they are always looking to see how they can upgrade the team.

I think he means the fan reaction.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
There isn't a team in the NFL who's going to trade a good pass rusher to the Seahawks.

For whatever reason, WR's get traded mid-season. Other positions not so much.

It's alright saying get a DE or DT instead, but you can only go with what's available. If they think Jackson helps get the offense to a position of consistency and venom -- they'll do it. There's also a real lack of quality WR's and TE's in the 2015 draft class and the depth will not be as good as 2014.

This team is in it's Super Bowl window now. They are going to keep taking chances.

Rat

Reaction score
I wouldn't read too much into Jackson's target to catch ratio. IIRC, he gets thrown at on deeper routes as much as any wideout in the league.

pehawk

Reaction score
Anyone have a clue about his blocking? I'm assuming it's good since he's been a target for awhile.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
HansGruber":3okf9zju said:
MontanaHawk05":3okf9zju said:
Prior to the fourth quarter, Seattle was getting nowhere.

Totally untrue. Wilson started the comeback in the second quarter. And I saw numerous plays where our receivers were getting separation in man coverage from the second quarter onward. Specifically, Richardson had some great routes where he shook off the man coverage and came up with good catches.
+1. Were you just guessing based on what quarter it was, Montana?