Lynch traded!

Uncle Si

Reaction score
DJrmb":35jidlmb said:
I'm glad this ended the way it did and didn't get nasty like it could have if Lynch or the Raiders tried to force Seattle's hand. Everyone wins in this scenario. :irishdrinkers:

This sums it up for me too

HawkGA

Reaction score
uncle fester":1jk1pq5j said:
HawkGA":1jk1pq5j said:
uncle fester":1jk1pq5j said:
A 5th is more than I thought they'd agree. I was expecting a trade of 7ths.

Well, it's not a straight up 5th. It's the loss of a 6th. Don't know how that compares on a draft value chart board.

My point being I thought Schneider & McKenzie would've done an absolute bargain basement swap of picks. A handshake trade to ensure a smooth departure. Yes we lose a 6th, but a 5th rounder for a player who had no intention of playing for anyone but that specific team is a good deal.

Just wait for the Raiders to win the Super Bowl and the Seahawks to finish with the worst record in the league, then it will be a bottom basement deal!

Chapow

Reaction score
HawkGA":25hr1qld said:
uncle fester":25hr1qld said:
HawkGA":25hr1qld said:
Well, it's not a straight up 5th. It's the loss of a 6th. Don't know how that compares on a draft value chart board.

My point being I thought Schneider & McKenzie would've done an absolute bargain basement swap of picks. A handshake trade to ensure a smooth departure. Yes we lose a 6th, but a 5th rounder for a player who had no intention of playing for anyone but that specific team is a good deal.

Just wait for the Raiders to win the Super Bowl and the Seahawks to finish with the worst record in the league, then it will be a bottom basement deal!

Hey Nash72, you accidentally logged in as HawkGA. Just a heads up.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Better deal than I thought we'd get. Getting to move up from the 6th to the 5th is pretty nice.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
Anyone else hear that the terms of the trade ( trading up in the 2018 draft) and think that maybe the whole "John Schneider doesn't like the 4th and 5th round players in this year's draft" rumor may have more legs than we (I) originally thought?

:stirthepot:

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Uncle Si":7g19el02 said:
DJrmb":7g19el02 said:
I'm glad this ended the way it did and didn't get nasty like it could have if Lynch or the Raiders tried to force Seattle's hand. Everyone wins in this scenario. :irishdrinkers:

This sums it up for me too

Yep, Lynch and the raiders held all the cards. We could have pulled a chump move and asked for the money back from Lynch we gave him, but I don't think that would have changed the outcome, just the future relationship with Marshawn.

I like it, everyone gets value, Lynch gets to play for his hometown team before they leave, and has the ability to increase his payday if he does well. This is probably about as good as it could have gone.

I think with this "handshake, good luck" type of a deal, we can still see marshawn raise the flag someday.

I wish him luck, hope he runs like a madman, and that the raiders still don't make the playoffs. That would be the cherry on top.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Glad he gets to play for his hometown team, before they leave Oakland high and dry. NFL is more fun when Lynch is playing, but I am still bummed out it isn't for us.

Raiders def have a chance to be great this year.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
All in all, I'm finding myself fairly happy with the resolution to this situation. The Seahawks and Marshawn Lynch were basically done. There was virtually ZERO chance of him ever playing for Seattle again.

Now, Marshawn gets his chance to have his final curtain call and play for his hometown team. He gets the chance to fulfill his dream of playing for the team he grew up rooting for as a kid. Though I personally can't stand the Raiders, I'm very happy for Marshawn. Good for him.

In exchange, the Seahawks get (what in my opinion) could be a fairly significant upgrade in terms of a draft pick for next year. Changing a 6th Round Pick ... into a 5th Round Pick -- all for a player who was going to be basically be doing nothing more for this organization ever again? That's a win in my book all day long.

All in all, I see this as a pretty happy ending for both sides overall.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Chapow":348426e2 said:
MontanaHawk05":348426e2 said:
This puts the Raiders in immediate Super Bowl contention.

They were already in Super Bowl contention last year before their QB went down late in the season. They finished 12-4 and that was without Carr for their last game (which they probably would've won had Carr played).

Exactly. Their running game was mediocre last year and they were still 2nd best in the conference. If Lynch can run...it could well put them over the top.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
c_hawkbob":2q5exfot said:
HawkGA":2q5exfot said:
uncle fester":2q5exfot said:
A 5th is more than I thought they'd agree. I was expecting a trade of 7ths.

Depending upon how the two teams finish the 2017 season it's equal to either a 6th or a 7th round pick most likely.

The most it could be on the trade value chart is 28.4 (actually a late 5th value) and the least it could be is .4 which is like a compensatory 7th.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/dr ... ade-chart/

Yep. Another way to do it using that value chart:

Let's assume the Raiders and Seahawks' picks this year hold constant for next year. Then it's pretty easy to take the differential between the Raiders' pick and the Seahawks pick in the trade and attribute that value to Marshawn Lynch.

Using that baseline, Marshawn Lynch plus the Seahawks' 6th round pick in trade for the Raiders' 5th round pick values Marshawn Lynch at pick #28 in the 6th round.

If you want to be more accurate then you'd also note that the "Lynch part" of the trade is for a future draft pick (future pick for future pick + Marshawn Lynch for future pick value (everything before the "+" cancels out because they're both future, so you just have the back half of the equation to deal with -- Marshawn Lynch for pick #28 in the 6th one year in the future).

If you go by the standard that a pick in round x in the current year is worth a pick in round x + 1 in the next year (which is the shorthand that NFL team's use), then at the moment of trade Marshawn Lynch was valued at pick #28 in the 7th round.

Or maybe for some reason you don't like that so you split the difference and say the rights to Marshawn Lynch were valued at a mid-7th round pick.

However you want to do it, Lynch's rights were valued in the "let's all just play nicely with each other" range of a 6th-7th round pick that people (myself included, of course :lol: ) have been arguing was going to happen if this trade went through. :2thumbs:

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":q3n2921g said:
Doesn't matter if you score 30, especially when you're giving up 35

12-4 says it mattered at least somewhat.

Additionally, a solid run game is exactly what you want in the playoffs, especially in inclement games. If you've got a run game and a head coach with a clue, you can ground clock and keep the other offense off the field. It is, of course predicated on Lynch still being a factor, but if he can get more done than Murray could, watch out for the Raiders in January.

danbogart

Reaction score
I'm really happy for Lynch and think he'll do well next season, but I think this might be a sign that it's time to change my background finally.

0c7ec877f681780459b9b3c71c4c6541.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chapow

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1nma2qnh said:
Chapow":1nma2qnh said:
MontanaHawk05":1nma2qnh said:
This puts the Raiders in immediate Super Bowl contention.

They were already in Super Bowl contention last year before their QB went down late in the season. They finished 12-4 and that was without Carr for their last game (which they probably would've won had Carr played).

Exactly. Their running game was mediocre last year and they were still 2nd best in the conference. If Lynch can run...it could well put them over the top.

Oakland had the 6th best rushing game in the league last year. Not sure about you, but I'd consider that a bit better than mediocre.

Anyway, my point was that adding Marshawn didn't make them Super Bowl contenders because they already were Super Bowl contenders. Maybe he makes them better, but I'm pretty skeptical. He'd have to return to 2014 form to make that happen and I don't think that is terribly likely.

Even if he does improve their running game from 6th best to, I dunno, better than 6th best, I'm not too sure that's going to really make a difference to the end result of the season. IMO improving that defense would make a much bigger difference than improving an already good running game.