Make No Mistake The 49ers are the Real Threat NOT the Rams

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt, they haven't played nearly as well as they can. The Hawks usually hit their stride mid-season, it's annoying, but it is what it is. And look at their record in Prime Time games and in December. Other than the Pats, it's probably the best in the NFL. To me, the true test is beating top notch teams.
IF the Hawks were to beat the Rams, then we are talking about a true statement. They beat the Rams 10 straight times, but the last few years they have pretty much owned the series. Many close games, but they have our number. At least the last few years.

Fanatics

Reaction score
I don't see Shanahan as a good coach. I do think Shanahan is a Great OC. He and/or Lynch are too emotional with their players/picks. The lack of discipline the 49ers team shows in instances, has to be a reflection of the coach as well. I know some are all around coaches and some are "player coaches", I see Shanahan as I do Carroll as a player's coach. Now I see McVay as the complete package...great motivator, great OC, talent evaluator, know what fits his team. You don't hear much about chemistry problems or off the field issues and the Rams have a few that could rock the cart.

I would rank the coaches McVay, Carroll and then Shanahan, at this time. I guess I approach it a little different, I look at the teams as of today and try to think who would I want to coach my team, obviously the answer would be Belichick but out of these three coaches, I would pick McVay. I bet the 49ers are still upset that McVay didn't follow his family crest and go to the 49ers.

As for who has the best team, you are the champ until beaten so I would say it has to go Rams, Seahawks and then 49ers. The Seahawks are more battle tested than the 49ers and until you replace a team in the final standings, you need to show your battle scars to move up.

IMO

Marvin49

Reaction score
Fanatics":149teenn said:
I don't see Shanahan as a good coach. I do think Shanahan is a Great OC. He and/or Lynch are too emotional with their players/picks. The lack of discipline the 49ers team shows in instances, has to be a reflection of the coach as well. I know some are all around coaches and some are "player coaches", I see Shanahan as I do Carroll as a player's coach. Now I see McVay as the complete package...great motivator, great OC, talent evaluator, know what fits his team. You don't hear much about chemistry problems or off the field issues and the Rams have a few that could rock the cart.

I would rank the coaches McVay, Carroll and then Shanahan, at this time. I guess I approach it a little different, I look at the teams as of today and try to think who would I want to coach my team, obviously the answer would be Belichick but out of these three coaches, I would pick McVay. I bet the 49ers are still upset that McVay didn't follow his family crest and go to the 49ers.

As for who has the best team, you are the champ until beaten so I would say it has to go Rams, Seahawks and then 49ers. The Seahawks are more battle tested than the 49ers and until you replace a team in the final standings, you need to show your battle scars to move up.

IMO

Not gonna argue the point as there is really very little concrete fact to display or make a point with, but I think you are short-changing Shanahan. Time will tell.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
94Smith":2sgbvgou said:

49ers in at 3 or 2 depending on adjustments, and Rams and Sehawks both in at 7 or 8 depending on adjustments.

Strong division.

49ers have the 3rd hardest schedule to go, the Hawks the 6th, and the Rams the 14th.

If things keep on going like they're going (and I'm NOT making that prediction) we're in for a hell of a year in the NFCW.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1ssjc9l8 said:
Marvin49":1ssjc9l8 said:
SoulfishHawk":1ssjc9l8 said:
1-8 combined record for the 3 teams. But, you still won all 3 regardless. You can only play the teams they put in front of you. And trust me, if the Hawks won 3 games against a combined 1-8, a bunch of people would be saying we haven't beaten anyone. Look, I can't stand the Niners, but 3-0 is 3-0 regardless.

I mean, of course I'm happy with 3-0. LOL.

Just sayin', they still have ALOT of issues to resolve before they can be considered a SB contender.

I mean the Rams are 3-0 as well and your Seahawks are 2-1 and only a game behind. That's nothing.

Even if Niners go 10-6, they could still end up 3rd in the division. LOL. Long way to go.

Yep.

And against those three bad teams IMO they've played pretty poorly against two of them.

What we've learned so far about the 9ers this year is that unlike previous years they can beat bad teams when they're not playing particularly well.

They could be good, or they could be hovering around .500 by the end of the year.

And the injuries are starting to pile up too.

I'm *very happy* with their season so far, but not reading too much into it.

I will say this. The records of the teams the Niners beat is a collective 1-8 and that makes it appear they haven't played anybody. Thats one of the big things that makes me take pause.

However....

Should also be noted that the collective records of the teams THOSE teams have lost to is pretty damn good. LOL.

Bucs: 2 losses, combined record: 4-2 (most of those wins are SF. Hrmm. Giants with new starter. Really should have beaten the Giants. This one is dubious)
Bengals: 3 losses, combined record: 8-1 (losses to 2 3-0 teams - Bills, 49ers - and a 2-1 team - Seattle. Hrmmm).
Steelers: 3 losses, combined record: 8-1 (losses to 2 3-0 teams - Patriots, 49ers - and a 2-1 team - Seattle).

I still tend to think they haven't played anyone, but if I were the fan base of the Steelers or Bengals, I'd be all over saying "yeah, but the teams they've played are a combined 8-1. That's a ROUGH schedule".

Its like what came first, chicken or the egg?

Dunno.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Not to be a traitor, but the 49ers are currently being overrated by the "experts." They've played no one, they have two hugely important injuries, their QB is learning on the job, and they've made too many mental mistakes so far.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":1xsytaq4 said:
Not to be a traitor, but the 49ers are currently being overrated by the "experts." They've played no one, they have two hugely important injuries, their QB is learning on the job, and they've made too many mental mistakes so far.
I mean, they are so bad they can't even beat themselves despite giving their very best effort:

Ezgif 2 b41f98785a57

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Make no mistake, the 49ers are the real threat, NOT the Rams!!!!

The Rams clearly paid the wrong players. (Goff & Gurley). McVay can only mask so much. Products of the system, their front office and coaches whiffed big time on those two. The Seahawks & 49ers are the big benefactors of their foolish ways. This is going to eat away at their roster for years to come.

The 49ers are the real threat.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Fade":3hoet55p said:

The Rams clearly paid the wrong players. (Goff & Gurley). McVay can only mask so much. Products of the system, their front office and coaches whiffed big time on those two. The Seahawks & 49ers are the big benefactors of their foolish ways. This is going to eat away at their roster for years to come.

I'm shocked you're buying the hype. They have 8 turnovers in 3 games, if you don't think that is going to catch up to them when they aren't playing the shitty NFC North well...

Marvin49

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":2a2dlntk said:
Fade":2a2dlntk said:

I'm shocked you're buying the hype. They have 8 turnovers in 3 games, if you don't think that is going to catch up to them when they aren't playing the shitty NFC North well...

Not gonna argue the point too much but 5 of those 8 were last week and were pretty fluky. An INT that hit the RB in the hands and chest before it floated in the air and three fumbles inside the Steelers 15. They had a combined 3 turnovers in weeks one and two and while they had 2 INTs ALL YEAR last year they already have 4 this year and are a collective -1 on the season despite the butterfingers in week 3.

Still though, it it a stat to pay attention to. Jimmy always seems to be up for at least 1 INT.

I also don't think the Niners having a week off and the Rams crapping themselves vs the Bucs makes the Niners any better. Status quo.

NINEster

Reaction score
Fanatics":2qmjyd7w said:

IMO

Rams fan??

Can't see a Seahawks fan being that much in love with McVay nor a 49ers fan.

Overrated view of how good McVay is. FWIW, the Rams don't beat the Seahawks as convincingly as they used to with Fisher. His offensive outputs against the very best defenses have not inspired. Schematically his team has been exposed many times.

Blame it on Goff? Not so fast. First McVay "made" Goff, now blame him when the going gets tough. Film analysis showed that the Bears, Lions, Eagles, and Patriots did not do anything that special to beat the Rams. We never saw a counter from McVay against those teams.

Shanahan is constantly setting defenses up and countering. He could take over OC duties for McVay without converting anything and do a better job than McVay is. I have zero doubts about it.

Keep buying into the BRO hype......and keep conveniently forgetting who the teacher was in this teacher/student relationship. 5 years of extra experience and the son of a pioneering offensive two time Super Bowl winning mind is displaced by some kid??

It doesn't make any sense. Based on today's home loss against the Bucs, hopefully some of this McVay is the best garbage will subside a bit.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Not sure who keeps saying the Bucs are a bad team, but they are far from it. :les:

Look who is on their defensive line, then check out their linebackers. Yeah, they were god awful on defense last year, but this isn't last year. Suh is still great. Vita Vea is a monster in the middle. Shaquil Berrett has NINE sacks. That is not a typo. He is on pace for a bazillion sacks (well, 36 anyway). Lavante David is still great, and Devin White is a talented rookie (he's made some mistakes, but he has some ability). Hardgreaves is not terribad either.

So, Tampa Bay has a legitimate up and coming defense, and offensively they have talent, as long as Winston avoids turning the ball over.

So long as Winston doesn't act like an idiot and manages the game, they are going to be a threat to most teams.

chris98251

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":bdbmwazz said:
Not sure who keeps saying the Bucs are a bad team, but they are far from it. :les:

Look who is on their defensive line, then check out their linebackers. Yeah, they were god awful on defense last year, but this isn't last year. Suh is still great. Vita Vea is a monster in the middle. Shaquil Berrett has NINE sacks. That is not a typo. He is on pace for a bazillion sacks (well, 36 anyway). Lavante David is still great, and Devin White is a talented rookie (he's made some mistakes, but he has some ability). Hardgreaves is not terribad either.

So, Tampa Bay has a legitimate up and coming defense, and offensively they have talent, as long as Winston avoids turning the ball over.

So long as Winston doesn't act like an idiot and manages the game, they are going to be a threat to most teams.
The Bucs are basically Arizona before the DC's were pillaged Bowles is back with Arians and their defense shows it, they just have to get their offense working much like in Arizona when Carson was there.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Are people not watching these games? I saw a CBS power ranking that had the 49ers ranked 3. Come on! At this point they are no higher than ten.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl- ... ms-remain/

Yes, the offense and defense are doing well statistically, but with two massive key injuries (Staley and Witherspoon), and the offense making way too many mistakes, there is no way to legitimately justify the 49ers being ranked that high.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I just laugh at how the media seems to be ready to crown the Niners great after their weak schedule. Yet, the Hawks "haven't played anyone"

Both teams still have a lot to prove. If the Hawks win on Thursday, it's safe to say they are legit.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1y2tizqt said:
I just laugh at how the media seems to be ready to crown the Niners great after their weak schedule. Yet, the Hawks "haven't played anyone"

Both teams still have a lot to prove. If the Hawks win on Thursday, it's safe to say they are legit.
I disagree with this to a certain extent. First of all, the Steelers did well against both the 49ers and Seahawks, and they beat the hell out of the Bengals. I don't think they are as bad as their 1-3 record suggests. Second, as I've stated elsewhere, Tampa Bay is underrated, too. And the Saints are a very good team. Both the 49ers and Seahawks have had a tougher schedule than their opponents' record suggest. The only true pushover either faced was Cincinnati.

Oh and Arizona this last week, maybe. But I don't think they are quite as bad as their record, either.

But it does appear that there is only one dominant team at this point: the Patriots, and mainly because of their defense.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":appbei4k said:
And hey, the teams don't make the schedule. You can only play who they throw in front of you.

That. Right there. Couldn't agree more.

I really hate the "they haven't played anyone" argument. Yes, some teams get a more favorable schedule and it can skew the way the teams are regarded, but teams have zero control. They can only line up and beat the team in front of them....which the 49ers have done 3 times in 3 games.

Question for me is this....is the AFC North that bad? NFC West that good? Both? Neither?

Dunno.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And hey, I doubt the Eagle's fans expected them to lose at home to the Lions.
And I seriously doubt the Rams fans thought they would get dominated at home by the Bucs.

Latest posts