Marshawn Lynch on Wilson and Pete Carroll

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I have my feelings about Russ like everyone else but I refuse to participate in any revisionist history. Say what you want about his personality, quirks, cringiness, character flaws, etc, but dude was a flat out BALLER for us.
Well said. I couldn't care less if someone is weird, a dork, cringy etc. Who gives a crap, you either ball out on the field or your don't. There have been plenty of Hawks players that I didn't like a ton, but they're not doing anything to me personally. Sherm was an extremely annoying loud mouth, often, but oh well. He was an incredible player and contributed a ton. Being an awkward dude doesn't make the former guy a bad guy. You never once saw him in trouble for anything. He was a dork, big deal. We got his best years, then flipped him for a haul. Good. I don't care if people believe me or not, I'm VERY happy he's gone. It was time. But you know what, that was 19 months ago. Damn........and he still seems to have the most threads about him than any current player. Strange AF, but these days, I just laugh at all the childish stuff. It's genuinely funny that people continue to be so obsessed. Like he did something to them, personally. I'm good concentrating on current Hawks.

Last edited:

keasley45

Reaction score
No its not. Those players are being paid to go to work and perform, not to like each other and be best friends.

Bro. Employess get paid to work based on a finite skillset. Athletes get paid to play based on talent. Neither get paid to have inside them the ingredients to elevate their team or company to the position of best in the industry or champion. It's the best in both arenas and the best companies and teams that foster an environment of togetherness, that buy in, that have collective accountability and live up to it. You dont have that bond one way or another, and you re at a deficit. Thesr athletes have gotten paid becaise they are INDIVIDUALLY GIFTED. They dont have by default the inner work ethic, diligence, perwpective on team building and culture to succeed beyon their given skillset. You make it seem as tbough getting paid is allllll the incentive one needs to succeed. When in fact, it's pro athletes who ' get paid '. Who often lose their edge. So getting money to be a pro has zero to do with it.

And you root for a franchise that embodies a one-off unique and proven successful approach that only worked because of the bond between the players. And it's the players that say it over and over again... the bond. Yet you disregard the validity or relevance of countless reports that in a championship winning team predicated on elevated excellence based on bond and the collective accountability that came from it, the likes of which is rarely seen and has been celebrated, the fact that the qb of that team placed himself outside of that circle as 'nothing'

And again, we aren't talking about Russ not hitting the bowling alley every other Saturday with the boys. He now obviously divorced himself from team accountability in rmeoving himself from that circle. It was IN that circle that internal accountability was maintained. He didnt want to be subject to that. He painted himself beyond reproach. Pete cosigned.

NC state
Seattle
Denver

Different places. Same take. But hey, maybe everybody he's played with is just off their rocker and can't deal with how incredibly talented and genuinely warm hearted he is... you know, like with his charitable work...

keasley45

Reaction score
Well said. I couldn't care less if someone is weird, a dork, cringy etc. Who gives a crap, you either ball out on the field or your don't. There have been plenty of Hawks players that I didn't like a ton, but they're not doing anything to me personally. Sherm was an extremely annoying loud mouth, often, but oh well. He was an incredible player and contributed a ton. Being an awkward dude doesn't make the former guy a bad guy. You never once saw him in trouble for anything. He was a dork, big deal. We got his best years, then flipped him for a haul. Good.

There's little doubt about his physical gifts and grit. That's 100% for certain. He's unique in that way.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
There has been plenty of cringe worthy players over the years. Meh, ball out and stay out of trouble. Don't have to like guys on a personal level. Most or none of us know these guys.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
Well it took an entire season of success to get to the SB, so even if Russ had a smaller role in winning the SB, he certainly played a larger role many times during the regular season and playoffs.
I gotcha. I'm not one to let my fee-fees cloud me to all the record setting work he did while he was here. His threat as an RPO QB was essential to our offense's success. Not necessarily the most essential, but it was definitely a big factor.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
I have my feelings about Russ like everyone else but I refuse to participate in any revisionist history. Say what you want about his personality, quirks, cringiness, character flaws, etc, but dude was a flat out BALLER for us.
Lil dude set so many records and was almost universally loved by fans for his work on the field. People poo-pooing his accomplishments and impact are flat out wrong.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Dude has been gone since March of 2022 and people are still obsessed with him. Dear God, let it f'ing go at some point. Some of you sound like f'ing 5 year olds :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
He's gone, we fleeced them in the trade. His team sucks a**, Hawks are a playoff contender. Good enough.
We have a good thing going on right here in Seattle.
Right?!

I'm one of the biggest Russ 2.0 bashers that there could 'possibly' be - well, maybe not - but I'm in the ranking.

I gotta say - dunno if it the 10th anniversary schtick or what - or the KJ 'old home week' broadcast year - but this CONSTANT re hashing of the 48/49 years - including the re-pop up of Lynch with 'new and breaking news' - is getting old real quick. Even for Pete.

Jesus - you're spot on. Can we let this go already. I'm content at this point to just watch the Broncos suck and laugh while they implode - but I gotta say that re-analyzing every wink/nod/playcall/player reaction/player re-reaction/player re-re-reaction from the 48/49 years ad nauseum is getting a little old. I've heard literally everything I need/want to hear about 'the play' - and all the other associated agony around it.

You're right - we've got a GREAT thing going right now. Let's focus on that.....

It's like the Blue Jays here focusing on their 'champagne party' instead of the TASK AT HAND -

Sorry - wasn't supposed to be so 'ranty' - but c'mon already.....

GemCity

Reaction score
BS. That call was due to incompetence with the coaching staff and panicking because they didn't know what to do. That call was going to happen regardless of whoever was the QB at that moment.
You may be right but with all of the RW seclusion and PC cradling him, I can’t help but think it influenced their decision.

balakoth

Reaction score
Do you hang out with or have everybody’s personal number at work? Or do you just go your on separate way when you leave work? No different for a football player
So you are comparing a 50k a year job where team work and respect isnt really necessary...to one required to work as one on a field, while making millions and holding a public and team presence (which is part of their job.. not a basic joes)

Correlation is a hellavuh thing...

rcaido

Reaction score
You may be right but with all of the RW seclusion and PC cradling him, I can’t help but think it influenced their decision.

Then the fault would be on Pete not Wilson. Lynch and Pete were not in speaking terms. Pete even said during Lynch holdout It's a contract for a reason. We expect them to honor their contract the same as we will.

Which is odd because they cut Bryant, Rice and Clemons to save money.

This is when they just won a Superbowl. Sherman, Earl, Harvin, and Baldwin just got paid. Lynch wanted more money, just like Kam the following year.

I think this is what kj was talking about. Everyone was looking at who got what and who was being recognized. That's what killed the team. The selfishness and ego.

Wilson was the easiest target, he got the most recognition and money

morgulon1

Reaction score
Bro. Employess get paid to work based on a finite skillset. Athletes get paid to play based on talent. Neither get paid to have inside them the ingredients to elevate their team or company to the position of best in the industry or champion. It's the best in both arenas and the best companies and teams that foster an environment of togetherness, that buy in, that have collective accountability and live up to it. You dont have that bond one way or another, and you re at a deficit. Thesr athletes have gotten paid becaise they are INDIVIDUALLY GIFTED. They dont have by default the inner work ethic, diligence, perwpective on team building and culture to succeed beyon their given skillset. You make it seem as tbough getting paid is allllll the incentive one needs to succeed. When in fact, it's pro athletes who ' get paid '. Who often lose their edge. So getting money to be a pro has zero to do with it.

And you root for a franchise that embodies a one-off unique and proven successful approach that only worked because of the bond between the players. And it's the players that say it over and over again... the bond. Yet you disregard the validity or relevance of countless reports that in a championship winning team predicated on elevated excellence based on bond and the collective accountability that came from it, the likes of which is rarely seen and has been celebrated, the fact that the qb of that team placed himself outside of that circle as 'nothing'

And again, we aren't talking about Russ not hitting the bowling alley every other Saturday with the boys. He now obviously divorced himself from team accountability in rmeoving himself from that circle. It was IN that circle that internal accountability was maintained. He didnt want to be subject to that. He painted himself beyond reproach. Pete cosigned.

NC state
Seattle
Denver

Different places. Same take. But hey, maybe everybody he's played with is just off their rocker and can't deal with how incredibly talented and genuinely warm hearted he is... you know, like with his charitable work...
One of the biggest things I heard in interviews with former players from that era IS the accountability, not wanting to let the guy next to you down. That came from the culture and camaraderie between the players . For the QB of the Seahawks to throw an interception on the one yard line to lose the super bowl
and then walk off the field and utter "I'll get em next time " is the most unaware , pathetic ,unaccountable statement.

I feel sorry for the other players , I bet once the shock of losing an owl because of pitiful judgement wore off , it was replaced with a burning anger .

NoGain

Reaction score
For the QB of the Seahawks to throw an interception on the one yard line to lose the super bowl and then walk off the field and utter "I'll get em next time " is the most unaware , pathetic ,unaccountable statement.
That was really something else in that interview. ML is not a liar or BSer in the least. I can hear RW saying that to him. Completely oblivious that that moment, as ML stated, was the end of his dream, their SB, and their potential dynasty. That really caught me. It was RW's oblivious fakeness in a nutshell.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I mentioned nothing of Marshawn's aptitude or intelligence. I'm speaking strictly on communication skills and, more specifically, on tailoring your message to different individuals. For example, Wilson graduated with a 4.0 in communications studies. However, he did not know how to communicate effectively with his teammates.

So, what does aptitude have to do with anything? Even the smartest people struggle to connect with others.
Russell Wilson "Blocking Calls" does anything BUT absolve him of his share of the blame....Lynch REACHED OUT, and Wilson BLOCKED HIS ASS...It's a >>TEAM SPORT<< that flourishes when >THE< Field General COMMUNICATES with his Compatriots, eh?....Sounds like some of y'all are contending that everything that went to hell in a hand-basket was everybody >EXCEPT< Russell Wilson was to blame.
Like Soulfish said, Time to move on....I say "There was BOTH a lot of GOOD, and a lot of BAD from Wilson too, I've said it before and I'll say it again, "I DO NOT DISLIKE RW", but he's not without his FAULTS.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Then the fault would be on Pete not Wilson. Lynch and Pete were not in speaking terms. Pete even said during Lynch holdout It's a contract for a reason. We expect them to honor their contract the same as we will.

Which is odd because they cut Bryant, Rice and Clemons to save money.

This is when they just won a Superbowl. Sherman, Earl, Harvin, and Baldwin just got paid. Lynch wanted more money, just like Kam the following year.

I think this is what kj was talking about. Everyone was looking at who got what and who was being recognized. That's what killed the team. The selfishness and ego.

Wilson was the easiest target, he got the most recognition and money
And S#*tty communication skills (Blocked Calls) with some of the Teammates who HELPPED to put him over the top.
SORRY BUT->Russell Wilson IS NOT BLAMELESS.

knownone

Reaction score
Russell Wilson "Blocking Calls" does anything BUT absolve him of his share of the blame....Lynch REACHED OUT, and Wilson BLOCKED HIS ASS...It's a >>TEAM SPORT<< that flourishes when >THE< Field General COMMUNICATES with his Compatriots, eh?....Sounds like some of y'all are contending that everything that went to hell in a hand-basket was everybody >EXCEPT< Russell Wilson was to blame.
Like Soulfish said, Time to move on....I say "There was BOTH a lot of GOOD, and a lot of BAD from Wilson too, I've said it before and I'll say it again, "I DO NOT DISLIKE RW", but he's not without his FAULTS.
That's all fine. But what does this have to do with my comment?

morgulon1

Reaction score
That was really something else in that interview. ML is not a liar or BSer in the least. I can hear RW saying that to him. Completely oblivious that that moment, as ML stated, was the end of his dream, their SB, and their potential dynasty. That really caught me. It was RW's oblivious fakeness in a nutshell.
100%

People playing realistically 2 years in a row , considering they went to the SB the year before. Many guys like Sherman , Chancellor were considerably injured and playing on adrenaline only for a selfish delusional narcissist go " oh well " and then blame God IIRC.

I thank ML for what he brought , and for being a real MF. I wonder how a dude like #3
thinks. Honestly.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score

NC state
Seattle
Denver

I think your making more out of it than there really is. In a work environment (same as a sports team, even more so when talking about pro level) individuals are assigned certain tasks and are expected to execute those tasks. I have coworkers I don't care for but I know they are good at their assigned task and I can count on them to perform when needed. Doesnt mean I want to hang out with them or be their buddies. Same goes for sports. Those players know their job and they are expected to execute when called upon. Russell Wilson balled out for many years in Seattle. So much so he is the best QB the franchise has ever had. This whole battle cry about Pete coddling him and not holding him accountable is a most probable misconception. Has anybody taken a second to think that maybe Pete dealt with Wilson the best way possible due to Russ's personality to get the best out of him that he could? Russ is an introvert and doesnt respond well to people and social situations. Kobe Bryant was the same. Michael Jordan was the same. Etc,,,. The point is many people see and understand these behaviors in different ways. A lot of fans and ex teammates see it as preferential treatment when its most likely just dealing with a certain personality trait. Dont let hatred for the person blind you into what he accomplished and how he played.

schkoot

Reaction score
Side question: who is the QB "Josh" ML is referencing in the video?

camdawg

Reaction score

NC state
Seattle
Denver

I know I've brought this up before in your many Russ bashing threads, Keasley, but if we're talking about "internal accountability" - it's one of the quirks of those teams that the members like Rich, Doug, Kam, etc....can't bring themselves to admit it was Marshawn that was held less accountable than anyone else from the main cast (so not counting Percy).

Forget Marshawn's one big flaw as a player...his dumb turnovers that could come at really bad times.

But the mutiny he tried to lead WITH Percy against Russ in 2013/early 2014. I get that you don't like if Russ doesn't get criticized as much in film study as other players might. Although I wonder if Marshawn was criticized in film study for turning into Butterfingers Lynch in St. Louis in 2012....or the dumb early fumble in the Atlanta playoff game which killed our early momentum, etc.

But if you're "Beast Mode" , a guy that will play hurt....you're gonna take sides with a guy that likely could've contributed during the 2013 regular season, but chose to sit out if he wasn't playing against his old Vikings team?

And then when that guy quits on his team in the 2014 Dallas game and the Hawks have no choice but to get rid of him...you threaten to not get on the bus to go to the next road game? FOR THAT GUY???? Tha Hawks would've been morally justified to cut Marshawn right then and there for that nonsense. You didn't see Steelers or Bucs players threatening to not play because they got rid of Antonio Brown. Yet that's the crap Beast Mode pulled in 2014. How was Marshawn held accountable? He wasn't.

Or when he held out to get that big 2015 signing bonus when he knew darn well he wasn't going to fulfill the multi-year contract that went with it. He knew he was going to force the situation to be with his hometown Oakland Raiders after getting that big Seahawks check.

Or the crap he pulled with the Minnesota playoff game in frozen conditions. He apparently looked solid and healthy in practices that week. At least according to Pete. But then decided to pull himself, and then not get on the plane to at least suffer through some of that freezing cold weather with his team, while being on the sidelines in a thick parka. Instead he decided to surprise his team by insisting that he stay at home. Was Marshawn held accountable for this by the coaches, or his teammates?

Russ should own up to his stuff.....but so should everyone else. Including Marshawn. Otherwise they're hypocrites.

To be clear - I'm a season ticket holder who enjoyed the heck out of watching Marshawn Lynch wearing our jersey. It's just...I want everyone to own their stuff, not just expect Russ to do it.

LTH

Reaction score
I think your making more out of it than there really is. In a work environment (same as a sports team, even more so when talking about pro level) individuals are assigned certain tasks and are expected to execute those tasks. I have coworkers I don't care for but I know they are good at their assigned task and I can count on them to perform when needed. Doesnt mean I want to hang out with them or be their buddies. Same goes for sports. Those players know their job and they are expected to execute when called upon. Russell Wilson balled out for many years in Seattle. So much so he is the best QB the franchise has ever had. This whole battle cry about Pete coddling him and not holding him accountable is a most probable misconception. Has anybody taken a second to think that maybe Pete dealt with Wilson the best way possible due to Russ's personality to get the best out of him that he could? Russ is an introvert and doesnt respond well to people and social situations. Kobe Bryant was the same. Michael Jordan was the same. Etc,,,. The point is many people see and understand these behaviors in different ways. A lot of fans and ex teammates see it as preferential treatment when its most likely just dealing with a certain personality trait. Dont let hatred for the person blind you into what he accomplished and how he played.
I would say that I agree with you. Pete just tried to make it work. The LOB, they are all in your face, alpha dogs and they wanted to hold Russ accountable for what ever reason and Russ couldn't take the way LOB would have dealt with him. I think there was an element of insecurity with in Russ and Pete was just trying to keep him in a place where he could perform at his highest level which ultimately destroyed the team IMO

Russ lost me when he went behind John and Pete's back to ownership asking Jodi to get rid of them or trade him or how ever that went down. That was just wrong and disrespectful.

That's just my take on it..

LTH

Latest posts