Michael Crabtree announces deal to sign with Oakland

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Leave it to Whiner fans to turn a strength (our all-time great running game) into their perception of a weakness.

By the way, good luck running the ball without Iupati and Gore. I have a good feeling your appreciation for them will only grow with time.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
bigtrain21":2ujoq8so said:
Popeyejones":2ujoq8so said:
hawknation2015":2ujoq8so said:
Jimmy Graham says "hello."

Not trying to debate (IMO this is a pretty silly debate), but purely out of curiosity:

Do you think Graham will have a 1K yard season on the Seahawks? Next year? Ever?

Sincerely just curious.

Also, just because I was surprised to learn this when I looked it up:

Even the Hawks' last 900 yard receiver was T.J. Houshmandzadeh in 2009.

Who cares about 1000 yards?

See my post you quoted in which I said I think this debate is silly.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
hawknation2015":frxyneot said:
Leave it to Whiner fans to turn a strength (our all-time great running game) into their perception of a weakness.

If it was a 9ers fan in this thread who brought up wide receivers and started down this path, that would literally be news to everyone.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3mmcw8b7 said:
bigtrain21":3mmcw8b7 said:
Popeyejones":3mmcw8b7 said:
hawknation2015":3mmcw8b7 said:

Not trying to debate (IMO this is a pretty silly debate), but purely out of curiosity:

Do you think Graham will have a 1K yard season on the Seahawks? Next year? Ever?

Sincerely just curious.

Who cares about 1000 yards?

See my post you quoted in which I said I think this debate is silly.

You think the debate is silly yet are researching our receivers over the last 6 years (at least)?

A thousand yards doesn't determine whether a receiver is good or not so I don't know why you are focused so much on that.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2015":285ze7he said:

By the way, good luck running the ball without Iupati and Gore. I have a good feeling your appreciation for them will only grow with time.

Um, ditto?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
bigtrain21":j4ai32um said:
You think the debate is silly yet are researching our receivers over the last 6 years (at least)?

Uhh, yes?

Again, this is all quite clear in the post you keep quoting. I clearly stated that I think the debate is silly. I also clearly stated that despite finding it silly, I was surprised to see how long it has been since a Hawks receiver had passed the threshold of whatever silly litmus test people are using. I looked it up because despite finding the whole thing silly, I was curious (I also clearly labeled that part -- "Also, just because I was surprised to learn this..").

I don't understand what's complicated.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Marvin49":3sho5fpk said:
hawknation2015":3sho5fpk said:

Um, ditto?

Uhhhh, what all-time great running game do you speak for? Carlos Hyde's three yards and a cloud of dust?

:snack:

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Popeyejones":oiv4yx6q said:
bigtrain21":oiv4yx6q said:

Uhh, yes?

Again, this is all quite clear in the post you keep quoting. I clearly stated that I think the debate is silly. I also clearly stated that despite finding it silly, I was surprised to see how long it has been since a Hawks receiver had passed the threshold of whatever silly litmus test people are using. I looked it up because despite finding the whole thing silly, I was curious (I also clearly labeled that part -- "Also, just because I was surprised to learn this..").

I don't understand what's complicated.

So you think it's silly yet you want to know if we think Jimmy Graham is going to reach a thousand yards. Here's my answer. It depends on the amount of targets he gets and it will in no way determine if he is valuable to the Seahawks or not.

Tate's highest receiving year was 898 yards which was why numerous 49ers fans said he sucked. He did that on only 98 targets and you saw what happened when he went to a throwing offense. His yards per target stayed damn near the same but his targets increased to 143 and sure enough he is a thousand yard receiver.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2532mafq said:
hawknation2015":2532mafq said:

Sincerely just curious.

Let's just put it this way: it's more likely that Jimmy Graham reaches a thousand yards at some point in his tenure with the Seahawks (as I personally believe he will play the role of our go-to receiver at Split End and in the slot) than either Davis or Boldin moving their old bones for over 1,000 yards.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
bigtrain21":18z0tbmo said:
So you think it's silly yet you want to know if we think Jimmy Graham is going to reach a thousand yards. Here's my answer. It depends on the amount of targets he gets and it will in no way determine if he is valuable to the Seahawks or not.

hawknation2015":18z0tbmo said:
Let's just put it this way: it's more likely that Jimmy Graham reaches a thousand yards at some point in his tenure with the Seahawks (as I personally believe he will play the role of our go-to receiver at Split End and in the slot) than either Davis or Boldin moving their old bones for over 1,000 yards.

:lol: :lol: :lol: at both of you guys weaseling around a really straight forward question.

All good, though. Again, I don't really care. I was just curious about your guys' thoughts. No biggie.

bigtrain21":18z0tbmo said:
Tate's highest receiving year was 898 yards which was why numerous 49ers fans said he sucked. He did that on only 98 targets and you saw what happened when he went to a throwing offense. His yards per target stayed damn near the same but his targets increased to 143 and sure enough he is a thousand yard receiver.

All true, although I don't know why you're telling me this. I started saying that I thought Tate compared well to Hines Ward back when he was still on the Hawks.

I mean, IN THIS VERY THREAD I argued that Crabtree had the targets to shine while with the 9ers unlike Golden Tate with the Seahawks, so expecting big stats from him once he goes somewhere else like Tate is a mistake.

I'm of course not offended that you're making a point that I've already made in this thread, but again, I'm not really sure on what grounds you think you're schooling me or contradicting anything I've said.

Anythin else you'd like me to repeat myself about? ;)

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I don't know why you guys are criticizing the 49ers receivers when we have the group that we do. Baldwin is a slot receiver, I maintain that he could be one of the best slot receivers in the NFL--- however he is not that great as an outside guy. Kearse is fourth on the depth chart on most teams, and highly inconsistent.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2aeycncm said:
All true, although I don't know why you're telling me this. I started saying that I thought Tate compared well to Hines Ward back when he was still on the Hawks.

I mean, IN THIS VERY THREAD I argued that Crabtree had the targets to shine while with the 9ers unlike Golden Tate with the Seahawks, so expecting big stats from him once he goes somewhere else like Tate is a mistake.

I'm of course not offended that you're making a point that I've already made in this thread, but again, I'm not really sure on what grounds you think you're schooling me or contradicting anything I've said.

Anythin else you'd like me to repeat myself about? ;)

Quit playing dumb popeye. First of all if you think yards are a stupid way to determine if a receiver is good or not then we agree. I don't think you do and here's why.

You went back and researched when our last thousand yard receiver was and then asked if we think Jimmy Graham is going to get a thousand yards. If you think yards is a silly way to determine whether or not a receiver or TE is valuable then why are you looking up 1000 yard receivers and asking whether we think Jimmy Graham is going to reach that plateau?

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1wqjv1zs said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: at both of you guys weaseling around a really straight forward question.

All good, though. Again, I don't really care. I was just curious about your guys' thoughts. No biggie.

How did I weasel around a straight forward question? I said it would depend on targets and would in no way determine if he is valuable or not. That is my honest answer. I don't know if he will get 1000 yards. I really don't care. If he occupies the middle of the defense and brings a defender away from the middle of the defense and gives Lynch better running lanes I could see him being a valuable player even if he isn't considered a good blocker. We really don't need him to block. We need him to be a threat.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3aqxjmbh said:
I don't know why you guys are criticizing the 49ers receivers when we have the group that we do. Baldwin is a slot receiver, I maintain that he could be one of the best slot receivers in the NFL--- however he is not that great as an outside guy. Kearse is fourth on the depth chart on most teams, and highly inconsistent.

...and THAT was kinda my entire point...you just said it better and don't have the stigma of being a Niner fan. :D

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2015":36fa2287 said:
Marvin49":36fa2287 said:
hawknation2015":36fa2287 said:

Um, ditto?

Uhhhh, what all-time great running game do you speak for? Carlos Hyde's three yards and a cloud of dust?

:snack:

I guess the 49ers All-Time leading rusher doesn't count? I was referring to the past, not the present. No idea how Hyde is going to play, but I was impressed by what little I saw.

rlkats

Reaction score
Marvin was not suggesting that the niners run game will be steller this year. Like alot of you guys are suggesting that your new TE will kill it

ColinSackorpick

Reaction score
Torrey Smith worth twice as much as Michael Crabtree...

rlkats":338xnek8 said:
Marvin was not suggesting that the niners run game will be steller this year. Like alot of you guys are suggesting that your new TE will kill it

At the end of the day no one knows, but it's not exactly crazy to predict or expect a top 3 TE to preform well (and that doesn't mean he has to reach 1k yards) even if SEA isn't a pass heavy offense whereas it's very unpredictable how well Hyde will be as the starter now since there's not much of a track record.

Marvin49":338xnek8 said:
Spin Doctor":338xnek8 said:

...and THAT was kinda my entire point...you just said it better and don't have the stigma of being a Niner fan. :D

To keep it simple, yeah both WR corps aren't exactly scaring anyone, but SEA is consistently winning in spite of that and fields an extremely stacked and talented team (which is probably another reason why WR is lacking; all the funds are going elsewhere on the roster). Formula is working well for SEA, and on the other hand I don't know what will happen with SF with the coaching turnover and many players leaving/retiring after a season of missing the playoffs. Outside of few pieces on OL and two LB's, the 49ers roster is pretty meh,so I mean they could afford to invest in some WR's (in which they have).

Marvin49

Reaction score
ColinSackorpick":1831o7i8 said:
Torrey Smith worth twice as much as Michael Crabtree...

rlkats":1831o7i8 said:

At the end of the day no one knows, but it's not exactly crazy to predict or expect a top 3 TE to preform well (and that doesn't mean he has to reach 1k yards) even if SEA isn't a pass heavy offense whereas it's very unpredictable how well Hyde will be as the starter now since there's not much of a track record.

Marvin49":1831o7i8 said:
Spin Doctor":1831o7i8 said:

To keep it simple, yeah both WR corps aren't exactly scaring anyone, but SEA is consistently winning in spite of that and fields an extremely stacked and talented team (which is probably another reason why WR is lacking; all the funds are going elsewhere on the roster). Formula is working well for SEA, and on the other hand I don't know what will happen with SF with the coaching turnover and many players leaving/retiring after a season of missing the playoffs. Outside of few pieces on OL and two LB's, the 49ers roster is pretty meh,so I mean they could afford to invest in some WR's (in which they have).

Well that formula was working pretty well in SF as well in 2012...

...and then they up and changed everything and tried to turn Kap into Tom Brady.

He's not Tom Brady. He never will be. He has abilities Tom Brady never had or will have and he isn't nor will he ever be the pocket passer Brady is.

...and that's OK. Bevell gets a lot of heat from Seahawks fans, but I'll tell ya this: At least he recognized what was working and didn't try to recreate the wheel. He recognizes Wilson for who he is and calls plays to accentuate the considerable talent he has.

THAT is what York was talking about a month ago and THATS a big reason Harbaugh/Roman are no longer in SF.

Say what you want about the wisdom to let them go, but the offense was broken and it wasn't just Kap.

ColinSackorpick

Reaction score
They invested in their QB, can't exactly blame them for that especially in today's league even though I don't think he's that great of a QB, it certainly could be worse. So I also understand why they tried to put more on him. As much as the offense was a problem, the defense has regressed a lot since then as well in my opinion compared to what they were.