Michael Crabtree announces deal to sign with Oakland

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Marvin49":2282w813 said:
ColinSackorpick":2282w813 said:
Torrey Smith worth twice as much as Michael Crabtree...

rlkats":2282w813 said:
Marvin was not suggesting that the niners run game will be steller this year. Like alot of you guys are suggesting that your new TE will kill it

At the end of the day no one knows, but it's not exactly crazy to predict or expect a top 3 TE to preform well (and that doesn't mean he has to reach 1k yards) even if SEA isn't a pass heavy offense whereas it's very unpredictable how well Hyde will be as the starter now since there's not much of a track record.

Marvin49":2282w813 said:
Spin Doctor":2282w813 said:
I don't know why you guys are criticizing the 49ers receivers when we have the group that we do. Baldwin is a slot receiver, I maintain that he could be one of the best slot receivers in the NFL--- however he is not that great as an outside guy. Kearse is fourth on the depth chart on most teams, and highly inconsistent.

...and THAT was kinda my entire point...you just said it better and don't have the stigma of being a Niner fan. :D

To keep it simple, yeah both WR corps aren't exactly scaring anyone, but SEA is consistently winning in spite of that and fields an extremely stacked and talented team (which is probably another reason why WR is lacking; all the funds are going elsewhere on the roster). Formula is working well for SEA, and on the other hand I don't know what will happen with SF with the coaching turnover and many players leaving/retiring after a season of missing the playoffs. Outside of few pieces on OL and two LB's, the 49ers roster is pretty meh,so I mean they could afford to invest in some WR's (in which they have).

Well that formula was working pretty well in SF as well in 2012...

...and then they up and changed everything and tried to turn Kap into Tom Brady.

He's not Tom Brady. He never will be. He has abilities Tom Brady never had or will have and he isn't nor will he ever be the pocket passer Brady is.

...and that's OK. Bevell gets a lot of heat from Seahawks fans, but I'll tell ya this: At least he recognized what was working and didn't try to recreate the wheel. He recognizes Wilson for who he is and calls plays to accentuate the considerable talent he has.

THAT is what York was talking about a month ago and THATS a big reason Harbaugh/Roman are no longer in SF.

Say what you want about the wisdom to let them go, but the offense was broken and it wasn't just Kap.

Jim Tomsula and Geep Chryst to the rescue!!!

Marvin49

Reaction score
ColinSackorpick":1ayx4006 said:
They invested in their QB, can't exactly blame them for that especially in today's league even though I don't think he's that great of a QB, it certainly could be worse. So I also understand why they tried to put more on him. As much as the offense was a problem, the defense has regressed a lot since then as well in my opinion compared to what they were.

If you watched the offense over the last two years you can see that they steadily moved away from what made him successful in 2012. In 2012 he was the most accurate QB in the NFL on passes over 20 yards. He averaged 8.3 yards per attempt, best in the NFL.

Those numbers have steadily gone down. Why? Peeps who don't like Kap would say that he's been "figured out" or that he's "regressed". While I can't say 100% that those aren't the case, I think it has ALOT more to do with loss of the personnel from 2012 (Namely Delanie Walker and Randy Moss...neither had huge numbers but they presented deep threats that opened up space for Crabtree), and they steadily moved away from the run game and playaction that was a staple in 2012 and has been staples of the Seahawk offense over the past three years. Take a wild guess who had the most play action passes by % in the NFL last year. Seattle Seahawks. Niners percentages dropped in a big way now for two straight years.

Point being, with Kap, they've been trying to stick a square peg in a round hole. This is what York meant by saying "got away from our core strengths". Media blew it up to be another example of a bad, out of touch owner thinking he was better pre-Harbaugh. Reality is that he was referring to 2012 and was talking about getting Kap on the move, use heavy run game, use tons of play action...all things Seattle rode to two Super Bowl appearances.

Most importantly while the talking heads on the TV and radio made fun of York, he was 100% right. Roman had to go, and Harbaugh was never going to fire Roman. Thats only a piece of why Harbaugh is gone so don't want to sell that those issues were everything, but it is true that the Niner offense was never better than it was in 2012 and it was moving in the wrong direction.

It also why getting a speed receiver was paramount...to replicate that Randy Moss/Delanie Walker type roll. That's why they signed Torrey Smith to the $$$ that Crabtree wanted. My guess is they aren't done and they'll be drafting a guy with speed in the draft...and my guess is Devin Smith.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3piv4vaj said:
Marvin49":3piv4vaj said:
At the end of the day no one knows, but it's not exactly crazy to predict or expect a top 3 TE to preform well (and that doesn't mean he has to reach 1k yards) even if SEA isn't a pass heavy offense whereas it's very unpredictable how well Hyde will be as the starter now since there's not much of a track record.

Marvin49":3piv4vaj said:
Spin Doctor":3piv4vaj said:
I don't know why you guys are criticizing the 49ers receivers when we have the group that we do. Baldwin is a slot receiver, I maintain that he could be one of the best slot receivers in the NFL--- however he is not that great as an outside guy. Kearse is fourth on the depth chart on most teams, and highly inconsistent.

...and THAT was kinda my entire point...you just said it better and don't have the stigma of being a Niner fan. :D

To keep it simple, yeah both WR corps aren't exactly scaring anyone, but SEA is consistently winning in spite of that and fields an extremely stacked and talented team (which is probably another reason why WR is lacking; all the funds are going elsewhere on the roster). Formula is working well for SEA, and on the other hand I don't know what will happen with SF with the coaching turnover and many players leaving/retiring after a season of missing the playoffs. Outside of few pieces on OL and two LB's, the 49ers roster is pretty meh,so I mean they could afford to invest in some WR's (in which they have).

Well that formula was working pretty well in SF as well in 2012...

...and then they up and changed everything and tried to turn Kap into Tom Brady.

He's not Tom Brady. He never will be. He has abilities Tom Brady never had or will have and he isn't nor will he ever be the pocket passer Brady is.

...and that's OK. Bevell gets a lot of heat from Seahawks fans, but I'll tell ya this: At least he recognized what was working and didn't try to recreate the wheel. He recognizes Wilson for who he is and calls plays to accentuate the considerable talent he has.

THAT is what York was talking about a month ago and THATS a big reason Harbaugh/Roman are no longer in SF.

Say what you want about the wisdom to let them go, but the offense was broken and it wasn't just Kap.

Jim Tomsula and Geep Chryst to the rescue!!![/quote]

I actually like and have liked Jim Tomsula for some time. I dunno if he'll make a good HC, but I love the guy.

Chryst is another story. They wanted Chudzinski and I think that would have been a great pick...but he reupped in Indy. We'll see what Chryst does, but he knows the system they've run backwards and forwards. Hoping he dips into that 2012 playbook, brings back the Pistol, read option, etc. No more shotgun, 4 or 5 WRs and 5 yard passes. Kap ain't Brady or Manning.

ColinSackorpick

Reaction score
So should we gear up for the resurgence of the 49ers offense if they go back to the bread and butter? :D Too bad for Harbaugh not recognizing what worked then suddenly changing from what worked to what doesn't work for no reason. Crazy that he remained the coach so long by seemingly sabotaging the team because he went from what was working to something that didn't work for no reason.

If it's due to lack of personal like Moss & Walker leaving, isn't that your GM's fault for not providing talent for Harbaugh?
That makes sense why Harbaugh would want more control if he did. He is the guy that came in and turned everything around after all. How big of a problem was Roman in 2012, ya know, when you're offense was alright? He became worse and public enemy #1 after the personal started leaving though? Correlation there?

You got my expectations high my man.

Marvin49

Reaction score
ColinSackorpick":2sbnv6pl said:
So should we gear up for the resurgence of the 49ers offense if they go back to the bread and butter? :D Too bad for Harbaugh not recognizing what worked then suddenly changing from what worked to what doesn't work for no reason. Crazy that he remained the coach so long by seemingly sabotaging the team because he went from what was working to something that didn't work for no reason.

If it's due to lack of personal like Moss & Walker leaving, isn't that your GM's fault for not providing talent for Harbaugh?
That makes sense why Harbaugh would want more control if he did.

You got my expectations high my man.

LOL.

I have no idea if its going to work or if Chryst is capable of pulling it off, but I think they are moving in the right direction In terms of offensive scheme...the philosophy anyway.

Moss had no interest in coming back and Walker was going to cost too much $$$.

They've been looking for that speed receiver ever since. They were in on Harvin. They tried to sign DeSean Jackson. They drafted AJ Jenkins. They've been looking for that guy for several years.

Hopefully they finally got him in Torrey Smith.

As for Harbaugh/Roman sabotage? Well of course that's not what they were doing. They thought what they were doing was in the best interest of the team...but personally I think the more they veered away from running the ball, using play action to open intermediate routes (Kaps real strength...15-25 yard cannon shots) the more they exposed themselves as not being the team they wanted to become. Everyone has a hand in that including Kap.

To me though, I think EVERYTHING changed when they lost Delanie Walker. He never put up huge numbers, but he led the team in yards per reception in 2012...and he was a freakin' TE. He was also a great utility player. They've been trying to fill that roll as well for several years and haven't been able to do so. That's why they signed Harper off the Seattle practice squad. Its why they drafted Trey Millard last year. They are looking for another Delanie Walker and as yet have been unable to find one.

I have no idea if any of this is going to work, but York was right. they DID get away from their core strengths. Whether they can return to them is another question.

ColinSackorpick

Reaction score
So you're saying your GM did an inadequate job to field a competitive offense since 2012? :D

Otherwise why veer away from what's working? I'm just trying to understand why Harbaugh was such an idiot to go from what was working to potatoes.

Is the philosophy you think they're going towards which is also what you think is the "right direction" back in time to 2012 and what they did then?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
hawknation2015":35dxclg7 said:
Marvin49":35dxclg7 said:
hawknation2015":35dxclg7 said:
Marvin49":35dxclg7 said:
Ya us whiners do.

Boldin, Davis, Patton, Ellington, Torrey Smith.

Really?

Seahawks #1 receiver last year Doug Baldwin had 825 yards.

Anquan Boldin had 1062. Torrey Smith had 767 as a Raven.

How about 2013.

Golden Tate (no longer on the team) had 898 yards. Baldwin had 778.

Boldin in 2013 had 1179. Torrey had 1128.

No Seahawk on the current roster has ever had a 1000 yard season. Boldin by himself has seven.

Its all good to make fun of the Niners in their present state, but at least make sense.

Jimmy Graham says "hello."

1,310 yards, 11 TDs in 2011.
1,215 yards, 16 TDs in 2013.

To flip this around, no Whiner on the current roster has had more than 15 receiving TDs in a season. Also, Boldin is older than Methuselah. And Davis is on the downward slope after turning 31. Check mate.

oops.

:D

I admit when I'm wrong...forgot the TE.

My point was about the WR position though because the initial comment was in regards to WRs.

Initial comment included Davis, who is rapidly regressing with age.

Consider the football spiked.

new-orleans-saints-tight-end-jimmy-graham.jpg
Spiked? You slam dunked it over the crossbar! :th2thumbs:

NINEster

Reaction score
Nice pic of Jimmy Graham.

What was the result of that game, I forget?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1dycbt22 said:
hawknation2015":1dycbt22 said:
Jimmy Graham says "hello."

Not trying to debate (IMO this is a pretty silly debate), but purely out of curiosity:

Do you think Graham will have a 1K yard season on the Seahawks? Next year? Ever?

Sincerely just curious.

Also, just because I was surprised to learn this when I looked it up:

Even the Hawks' last 900 yard receiver was T.J. Houshmandzadeh in 2009.
I wouldn't expect it given our offense isn't about volume but about toxic differential like our defense. It's all about the splash plays and high leverage. So I'm not expecting a total focus on Jimmy but we're he'll elevate us is in the red zone. So 10-15 TD"s? You bet.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^ Agreed in that I wouldn't bet on him being a 1K receiver, and I don't think that it's necessary for him to be one for it to have been a good trade for the Hawks.

The wild card in all of this, of course, is how much money Wilson gets, and how much the team ends up shifting toward leaning on the passing game more because of it.

Marvin49

Reaction score
ColinSackorpick":x7wtmr0e said:
So you're saying your GM did an inadequate job to field a competitive offense since 2012? :D

Otherwise why veer away from what's working? I'm just trying to understand why Harbaugh was such an idiot to go from what was working to potatoes.

Is the philosophy you think they're going towards which is also what you think is the "right direction" back in time to 2012 and what they did then?

LOL.

Funny how it always has to be scewed to someone being "inadequate". I guess that means Schneider has been similarly inadequate adding a receiver. He was inadequate when he traded for Flynn or Harvin.

Come on now.

Let me answer the second part like this....

....was Bevell trying to sabotage the offense when he called a pass play on the last offensive play by Seattle in SB 49? Does his decision to pass there make him a complete idiot? If it was Carrolls idea, does that make Carroll a complete idiot? Inadequate?

The answer to all of the above is of course no.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Sometimes a play call works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes a personnel choice works and sometimes it doesn't. The trick to being a good owner/GM/coach is not getting it right every time. Nobody can do that. Its about getting it right more than you get it wrong. Is Baalke responsible for not being able to get a true speed receiver for that offense? Sure he is. Does he have responsibility for not replacing Delanie Walker? Absolutely...

...but you make out like those are really easy things to do and simply being a competent GM would have been enough to fill those roles. Walker was a unique talent. I don't mean that as he's the best in the league by a longshot, simply that he was so versatile. 4.4 to 4.5 speed as a TE who could run after the catch AND block in the run game. He could line up at TE, FB and even WR. Not many like that. He even returned a kickoff for a TD in the preseason once. They had not one but TWO TEs capable of taking the top off the defense. They could play 2 TEs and run power or just as easily run play action and hit one of TWO TEs running 4.4 down the field. Walker never put up big numbers and was a bit of a butterfingers, but the THREAT of him was huge in combination with Vernon.

Delanie only had 344 yards in 2012. However, with Alex Smith at QB, he had 89 yards in 9 games. With Kap, he had 255 yards in 7 games. With Kap at QB, he averaged 18.2 yards per catch. While 255 yards is not world beating for sure, it made a HUGE difference in terms of the way defenses played Kap.

As for veering away, only Harbaugh and Roman can answer that. Perhaps they wanted to protect Kap from getting hurt. Perhaps they thought they needed to adapt to stay ahead. Who knows. I'm not in their head.

IN MY OPINION however, they absolutely got away from what made them effective on offense.

Marvin49

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":2de9y2hr said:
Marvin49":2de9y2hr said:
As for veering away, only Harbaugh and Roman can answer that. Perhaps they wanted to protect Kap from getting hurt. Perhaps they thought they needed to adapt to stay ahead. Who knows. I'm not in their head.

IN MY OPINION however, they absolutely got away from what made them effective on offense.

I wonder if it was by choice though. Could it be that the drop-off in performance from the O line affected the playcalling? You saw it in pre-season. Pass rushers were blowing by guys that had been pretty consistently decent the past few years and rattling Kap. That coupled with the fact that age finally started catching Gore, Davis has been more cautious going over the middle since Kam blew him up twice, Walker not being there, AND Crabrtree clearly losing something since his injury - you tend to have to change up the way you do things because things aren't working quite the same.

An extra second or even half second means everything in a "game of inches". When all the parts aren't working in precision anymore it's hard to do the same things, especially when other teams are extra prepared for those things. You are pretty much forced to go in a different direction.

Possible....and Anthony Davis missed ALOT of time last year and was replaced by....

...Jonathan Martin. <shudder>. Alex Boone also he'd out of camp so started slow. When you are talking about protection issues in preseason...well that was a rebuilt right side and Iupati still recovering from broken foot. They had protection issues all year...particularly from Iupati, Boone, and Martin. They then lost BOTH centers to injury.

If there were protection issues, doesn't explain why they at times abandoned the run game in favor of a short passing.

In the last two games of the season, they got Davis back and really rededicated to running the ball and had two of the best running performances of the season.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Marvin49":9s0fygoh said:
ColinSackorpick":9s0fygoh said:

LOL.

Funny how it always has to be scewed to someone being "inadequate". I guess that means Schneider has been similarly inadequate adding a receiver. He was inadequate when he traded for Flynn or Harvin.

Come on now.

....was Bevell trying to sabotage the offense when he called a pass play on the last offensive play by Seattle in SB 49? Does his decision to pass there make him a complete idiot? If it was Carrolls idea, does that make Carroll a complete idiot? Inadequate?

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Sometimes a play call works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes a personnel choice works and sometimes it doesn't. The trick to being a good owner/GM/coach is not getting it right every time. Nobody can do that. Its about getting it right more than you get it wrong. Is Baalke responsible for not being able to get a true speed receiver for that offense? Sure he is. Does he have responsibility for not replacing Delanie Walker? Absolutely...

...but you make out like those are really easy things to do and simply being a competent GM would have been enough to fill those roles. Walker was a unique talent. I don't mean that as he's the best in the league by a longshot, simply that he was so versatile. 4.4 to 4.5 speed as a TE who could run after the catch AND block in the run game. He could line up at TE, FB and even WR. Not many like that. He even returned a kickoff for a TD in the preseason once. They had not one but TWO TEs capable of taking the top off the defense. They could play 2 TEs and run power or just as easily run play action and hit one of TWO TEs running 4.4 down the field. Walker never put up big numbers and was a bit of a butterfingers, but the THREAT of him was huge in combination with Vernon.

Delanie only had 344 yards in 2012. However, with Alex Smith at QB, he had 89 yards in 9 games. With Kap, he had 255 yards in 7 games. With Kap at QB, he averaged 18.2 yards per catch. While 255 yards is not world beating for sure, it made a HUGE difference in terms of the way defenses played Kap.

Holy wall of text Batman!!!!
8)

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":n0tfv79p said:
Marvin49":n0tfv79p said:
ColinSackorpick":n0tfv79p said:

LOL.

Come on now.

Holy wall of text Batman!!!!
8)

Never said I wasn't verbose....tho I'm sure others would use a different word. :D

ColinSackorpick

Reaction score
There's a difference between calling one bad play in the Superbowl after going back to back Superbowls, and not being able to field a good offense for 2-3 years.

Yes SEA WR corp is not amazing, but as explained earlier...

The conversation is just going in circles and I still don't understand why Harbaugh decided to just up and change from an offense that did work to one that doesn't work. You're saying he didn't do it sabotage the team, so there was a reason for the change in philosophy for the offense.

Then you suggest that it is due to lack of personnel (loss of Walker, Moss,etc.)? So your offense has been bad for 2-3 seasons because the personnel on the field was inadequate? Well isn't it your GM's job to get the guy who turned around your franchise some good players?

Then you rebut by saying SEA's offense/WR's is not good either, well two things to that as explained above already that makes sense to me why it is difficult for SEA.

1. They are still winning at a high rate in spite of that (formula is working)
2. They have invested heavily on other parts of the roster which has created a talented team overall and there's just not enough resources to continue to add to the team (so WR takes a hit)

Difference for the 49ers is that, they're coming off a season in which they missed the playoffs and the roster is not all that talented outside of some pieces on the OL and a few LB's...and on top of that, the WR core is also so-so. SEA WR's may be so-so/not good as well, but the overall team is :th2thumbs:

So that's why I asked, are they trying to go back to go back to what they did in 2012? And I think you said they indeed are. So the question still stands to me, why did they change in the first place? Why did Harbaugh just decide to change the offense? You're saying he didn't do it for no reason...? Then you suggested it was due to lack of personnel? So that's why I wondered, isn't that your GM's fault for not providing Harbaugh the right personnel to continue to use an offense that is working, because he switched for a reason right, and that reason from what my understanding of your post was lack of or inadequate personnel which would be the fault of the personnel guy.

Marvin49

Reaction score
ColinSackorpick":5btn5y8e said:
There's a difference between calling one bad play in the Superbowl after going back to back Superbowls, and not being able to field a good offense for 2-3 years.

The conversation is just going in circles and I still don't understand why Harbaugh decided to just up and change from an offense that did work to one that doesn't work. You're saying he didn't do it sabotage the team, so there was a reason for the change in philosophy for the offense.

Then you suggest that it is due to lack of personnel (loss of Walker, Moss,etc.)? So your offense has been bad for 2-3 seasons because the personnel on the field was inadequate? Well isn't it your GM's job to get the guy who turned around your franchise some good players?

Then you rebut by saying SEA's offense/WR's is not good either, well two things to that as explained above already that makes sense to me why it is difficult for SEA.

2. They have invested heavily on other parts of the roster which has created a talented team overall and there's just not enough resources to continue to add to the team (so WR takes a hit)

Difference for the 49ers is that, they're coming off a season in which they missed the playoffs and the roster is not all that talented outside of some pieces on the OL and a few LB's...and on top of that, the WR core is also so-so. SEA WR's may be so-so/not good as well, but the overall team is :th2thumbs:

So that's why I asked, are they trying to go back to go back to what they did in 2012? And I think you said they indeed are. So the question still stands to me, why did they change in the first place? Why did Harbaugh just decide to change the offense? You're saying he didn't do it for no reason...? Then you suggested it was due to lack of personnel? So that's why I wondered, isn't that your GM's fault for not providing Harbaugh the right personnel to continue to use an offense that is working, because he switched for a reason right, and that reason from what my understanding of your post was lack of or inadequate personnel which would be the fault of the personnel guy.

I think we'll just agree to disagree on that one.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
The Seahawks now have the best WR in the division -- Jimmy Graham. Read how Carroll described Graham after the trade:

“The opportunity to get a player that can make these kinds of plays that we’ve seen Jimmy Graham do for a number of years really got us excited. In complementing the rest of our team, we think he’s just a fantastic target that we can implement in a number of ways. It’s pretty clear, he’s a big receiver, plays big, makes plays in a crowd, makes plays on top of guys, he’s a very effective player in the red zone, he has been a terrific, consistent scorers, so all of that stuff, we’re just going to fit it into our offense and make him hopefully a very complementary part of it. When you have to Marshawn—it starts with the running game and Russell doing his thing—the complement of the receivers that we have that have made so many plays for us and done so many cool things, we think this is a great addition.
http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seah ... -and-more/

That doesn't sound like a guy who is going to be lining up in-line as a TE. That sounds like what will be a Split End/Slot WR, who will be the best in the division, paired with Doug Baldwin, who is maybe the 2nd best Slot WR in the division. Now they need to find a 3rd great WR . . . either via the draft or currently on the roster (Richardson, Kearse, Norwood, Matthews, McNeil, Lockette, etc.). Needless to say, I like our WR situation a hell of a lot more than the 49ers'.

Jville

Reaction score
Marvin49":n9q3up9m said:
ColinSackorpick":n9q3up9m said:

I think we'll just agree to disagree on that one.

It's a crying shame that Cassie Baalke has been muzzled.

Her thoughts could jump start some exciting twitter action while we wait on the draft.

rlkats

Reaction score
Holy cow. Best wr in the west, best this best that. I bet your water boy is better also. ;)