Michael Crabtree announces deal to sign with Oakland

rlkats

Reaction score
hawknation2015":226tilp5 said:
rlkats":226tilp5 said:
Holy cow. Best wr in the west, best this best that. I bet your water boy is better also. ;)

Always compete, baby!
TheWaterboy01

Hahaha. I thought that would get posted. Lol. Love that movie.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
kearly":2h1ac70w said:
Won't face Sherman again until 2018. Although, he'll see him in the preseason almost every year. So kind of a mixed bag.
And he won't see him any more in the NFC Championship game, but he might in the...Super Bowl?

rideaducati

Reaction score
Quantity over quality.

It doesn't matter if you throw Calvin Johnson, A.J. Green, Julio Jones, Demarius Thomas, and Antonio Brown out there for the niners as long as Keeporpick is the QB. He's only going to look at one of them per play anyway.

With Boldin being the only familiar receiver Keep has to throw to now, I expect Boldin to do very well again unless the coaching staff makes Torrey Smith the primary read on pass plays, then he'll do better than Boldin. The other receivers will be lucky to get two targets in a game because I doubt they'll be the first receiver Keep looks at.

Keeporpick has had a speedy receiver before and did nothing with him, I highly doubt Torrey Smith will ever live up the niner fan hopes as long as Keeporpick is their QB.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":2mnnlip5 said:
Quantity over quality.

It doesn't matter if you throw Calvin Johnson, A.J. Green, Julio Jones, Demarius Thomas, and Antonio Brown out there for the niners as long as Keeporpick is the QB. He's only going to look at one of them per play anyway.

With Boldin being the only familiar receiver Keep has to throw to now, I expect Boldin to do very well again unless the coaching staff makes Torrey Smith the primary read on pass plays, then he'll do better than Boldin. The other receivers will be lucky to get two targets in a game because I doubt they'll be the first receiver Keep looks at.

Keeporpick has had a speedy receiver before and did nothing with him, I highly doubt Torrey Smith will ever live up the niner fan hopes as long as Keeporpick is their QB.

Outside of the Ancient Randy Moss in a season when Kap led the NFL in yard per attempt, please enlighten me as to whom was that "speedy receiver".

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":3v5unnjg said:
rideaducati":3v5unnjg said:
Quantity over quality.

Outside of the Ancient Randy Moss in a season when Kap led the NFL in yard per attempt, please enlighten me as to whom was that "speedy receiver".

Quinton Patton was supposed to be that guy according to niner fans...nope.
Kyle Williams was the new speed guy in 2010...still with the team....nope.
Randy Moss was still a good receiver....nope.

Like I said, it doesn't matter how fast Torrey Smith is or how good his hands are, he isn't going to make Keeporpick look good or fix all the niner passing woes.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Mediocre WR, will underwhelm in Oakland more than he underwhelmed in SF.

Really could give a crap where this overrated player ended up signing. Bet he's a one year player in Oakland.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":2vmrmrv4 said:
Marvin49":2vmrmrv4 said:
rideaducati":2vmrmrv4 said:
Quantity over quality.

Like I said, it doesn't matter how fast Torrey Smith is or how good his hands are, he isn't going to make Keeporpick look good or fix all the niner passing woes.

Dude...

Quinton Patton is not a "speedy" receiver.
Kyle Williams tore his ACL in 2012, the same year they had Moss. He was never the same. Yer reaching man. Even when he was there, he was quick, but was never a deep threat.

When they had Moss (and Williams) and more importantly Delanie Walker, Kap let the NFL in yards per attempt.

Kap has NEVER had a deep threat, in his prime WR like Torrey Smith.

As for the hopes with Smith, I don't think anyone is expecting him to come in and be a #1 WR. All he needs to be is a #2 WR with the speed to stretch the defense. That's it...and that's exactly what he was in Baltimore. I don't even expect 1000 yards.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Marvin49":3rm1vvvj said:
As for the hopes with Smith, I don't think anyone is expecting him to come in and be a #1 WR. All he needs to be is a #2 WR with the speed to stretch the defense. That's it...and that's exactly what he was in Baltimore. I don't even expect 1000 yards.

Yep. This one.

Really bizarre to argue that Kyle Williams and Quinton Patton were/are deep threats. Williams, even before being injured, was an underneath slot guy (he was a hobo's Wes Welker, never a deep threat), and I don't think anyone has ever argued that Patton is a deep threat.

Even stranger is citing a 35 year old Randy Moss who had spent the year before out of football as a deep threat.

Heck, even if you ignore his age and that he had done literally nothing the year before and had all of 250 yards across three teams the year before that, if you even watched him play for one game in the 9ers offense you know that he was almost exclusively running 3,4,5,and 6 routes (curls, combacks, outs, and digs). Even reporters and commentators were regularly discussing how the 9ers were never even bothering to have him run 7s, 8s, or 9s.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
jammerhawk":35kog6d1 said:
Mediocre WR, will underwhelm in Oakland more than he underwhelmed in SF.

Really could give a crap where this overrated player ended up signing. Bet he's a one year player in Oakland.
He won't even be good enough for Oakland!?

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
With Kaep, it's not about speedy recievers, it's about staying in the pocket and going through his reads, instead of just bolting like a crack-head if the first guy isn't open.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":1zknn3e5 said:
rideaducati":1zknn3e5 said:
Marvin49":1zknn3e5 said:
rideaducati":1zknn3e5 said:
Quantity over quality.

Dude...

Kyle Williams tore his ACL in 2012, the same year they had Moss. He was never the same. Yer reaching man. Even when he was there, he was quick, but was never a deep threat.

When they had Moss (and Williams) and more importantly Delanie Walker, Kap let the NFL in yards per attempt.

Sweet...

I wasn't the one high on any of those guys, niner fans were, so don't blame me for them not living up to the mantel you niner fans put them on. Put it this way, the niners will NEVER have a GREAT wide receiver that is considered great as long as Keeporpick is the niner QB. Keep will do NOTHING to make a wide receiver look great other than throw off target passes that need a great effort to catch.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":1z82ewjg said:
Marvin49":1z82ewjg said:
rideaducati":1z82ewjg said:
Marvin49":1z82ewjg said:

Dude...

Sweet...

I wasn't the one high on any of those guys, niner fans were, so don't blame me for them not living up to the mantel you niner fans put them on. Put it this way, the niners will NEVER have a GREAT wide receiver that is considered great as long as Keeporpick is the niner QB. Keep will do NOTHING to make a wide receiver look great other than throw off target passes that need a great effort to catch.

Nice dodge.

We were talking about Kap having a speed receiver. Had nothing to do with Niner fans views, your views, or Kaps ability to make a WR better.

You said Kap has had several speed receivers. That's what I responded to. He has not.

You were wrong.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":30sx4e0r said:
rideaducati":30sx4e0r said:
Marvin49":30sx4e0r said:
Dude...

Sweet...

Nice dodge.

We were talking about Kap having a speed receiver. Had nothing to do with Niner fans views, your views, or Kaps ability to make a WR better.

You said Kap has had several speed receivers. That's what I responded to. He has not.

You were wrong.

Well, you should go look up forty yard dash times for all the wide receivers the niners have drafted and tell me they aren't fast. The were all pretty fast. Again, it's not my fault they didn't work out, but they were fast. I think Torrey Smith will end up going the way A.J. Jenkins went...he was fast too.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
This article sums up my feelings about the Torrey Smith signing:

Smith finished with career lows in targets, receptions, and receiving yards in 2014. His 89 targets were 38 fewer than he saw in 2013. Of course, Smith’s fantasy football season was saved by what was easily a career-high 11 touchdowns – including seven over his final eight games.

Smith can at least partially be blamed for his career-low targets total. His 18.3 percent drop rate was next to last among 50 qualified wide receivers. Smith dropped 11 passes, which was fewer than only Mohamed Sanu.

In theory, Smith’s marriage with the 49ers should be an excellent fit from a fantasy football standpoint. Smith provides Colin Kaepernick with an outside X receiver with the speed to stretch the field and challenge the defense vertically. Kaepernick struggles with the touch passes, but no one has ever questioned his ability to throw the deep ball. In addition, new offensive coordinator Geep Chryst has already stressed that he wants to take more shots downfield.

In 2014, Smith turned 13 “catchable” deep targets into eight receptions for 250 yards and five touchdowns. More than 63 percent of Smith’s fantasy production in 2014 came on passes that traveled at least 20 yards through the air. He’s finished top 10 in the NFL in average depth of target each of his first four NFL seasons and has the league’s highest aDOT during the span. His 16.9 yards per reception during the span is sixth-highest at the position.

On the other hand, Smith is transitioning from one of the best deep passers in the NFL to an average one at best. On 13 fewer deep attempts, Joe Flacco completed just one fewer pass than Kaepernick despite the fact that he dealt with six more drops. Flacco also threw for seven more touchdown passes on deep attempts than Kaepernick, who only finished with four.

With Mike Iupati and Frank Gore no longer with the team, pass protection could further deteriorate and cause another snag in Kaepernick’s development as a quarterback. Smith will remain a boom-or-bust wide receiver play on a weekly basis in 2015.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... rey-smith/

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1c00a6s9 said:
This article sums up my feelings about the Torrey Smith signing:

Smith finished with career lows in targets, receptions, and receiving yards in 2014. His 89 targets were 38 fewer than he saw in 2013. Of course, Smith’s fantasy football season was saved by what was easily a career-high 11 touchdowns – including seven over his final eight games.

Smith can at least partially be blamed for his career-low targets total. His 18.3 percent drop rate was next to last among 50 qualified wide receivers. Smith dropped 11 passes, which was fewer than only Mohamed Sanu.

In theory, Smith’s marriage with the 49ers should be an excellent fit from a fantasy football standpoint. Smith provides Colin Kaepernick with an outside X receiver with the speed to stretch the field and challenge the defense vertically. Kaepernick struggles with the touch passes, but no one has ever questioned his ability to throw the deep ball. In addition, new offensive coordinator Geep Chryst has already stressed that he wants to take more shots downfield.

In 2014, Smith turned 13 “catchable” deep targets into eight receptions for 250 yards and five touchdowns. More than 63 percent of Smith’s fantasy production in 2014 came on passes that traveled at least 20 yards through the air. He’s finished top 10 in the NFL in average depth of target each of his first four NFL seasons and has the league’s highest aDOT during the span. His 16.9 yards per reception during the span is sixth-highest at the position.

On the other hand, Smith is transitioning from one of the best deep passers in the NFL to an average one at best. On 13 fewer deep attempts, Joe Flacco completed just one fewer pass than Kaepernick despite the fact that he dealt with six more drops. Flacco also threw for seven more touchdown passes on deep attempts than Kaepernick, who only finished with four.

With Mike Iupati and Frank Gore no longer with the team, pass protection could further deteriorate and cause another snag in Kaepernick’s development as a quarterback. Smith will remain a boom-or-bust wide receiver play on a weekly basis in 2015.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... rey-smith/

Don't completely disagree with a lot of that, but a few things...

1) Flacco HAD a deep threat to throw to. Kap did not. That's why Torrey is now a Niner in the first place.

2) I think pass protection will actually improve, not deteriorate. Iupati was never a great pass protector and they'll have Anthony Davis back in place of Jonathan Martin.

We'll see how it all plays out. I's say my expectations/hopes for Torrey are 700-800 yards and 3 or 4 deep PI calls. His speed is really to help OTHER players because that speed has to be accounted for.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":hdxvtv38 said:
Marvin49":hdxvtv38 said:
rideaducati":hdxvtv38 said:
Marvin49":hdxvtv38 said:
Dude...

Sweet...

Nice dodge.

You were wrong.

Well, you should go look up forty yard dash times for all the wide receivers the niners have drafted and tell me they aren't fast. The were all pretty fast. Again, it's not my fault they didn't work out, but they were fast. I think Torrey Smith will end up going the way A.J. Jenkins went...he was fast too.

So now you are arguing 40 times? Really? Reaching man. Really reaching.

rideaducati

Reaction score
rideaducati":1qx8fvcf said:
Marvin49":1qx8fvcf said:
rideaducati":1qx8fvcf said:
Marvin49":1qx8fvcf said:
Sweet...

Nice dodge.

You were wrong.

Is there another way to determine how fast a receiver happens to be that is only available to you?

Keep had Lockette and Lockette is one of the fastest players in the NFL. How did that work out? Maybe Torrey Smith is just the first "speed receiver" that you have heard of prior to him joining the niners.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":2md2a7m6 said:
Marvin49":2md2a7m6 said:
Nice dodge.

You were wrong.

Is there another way to determine how fast a receiver happens to be that is only available to you?

Keep had Lockette and Lockette is one of the fastest players in the NFL. How did that work out? Maybe Torrey Smith is just the first "speed receiver" that you have heard of prior to him joining the niners.

SMDH. I dunno, how'd that work out for you?

Not really sure LOCKETTE is the guy you wanna bring up right now.

Keep trying to make your point in any way you know how, but the fact remains that the 49ers have not had a true deep threat at WR while Kap has been the QB. The only guys they've really had were guys in the last years of their careers and actually coming out of retirement (Moss, Lloyd).

Will it make a difference? That remains to be seen...but please stop telling me who is and is not a deep threat on the Niners roster. Hell, the best deep threat on the Niners roster last year was Brandon Lloyd and he ran 4.62 at the combine....and that was over a decade ago. His career yards per reception is 15.0

Percy Harvin ran 4.41. Was he a deep threat? His career yards per reception is 11.5.
Tavon Austin ran 4.34. Career yards per reception is 9.3.
Torrey Smith? 16.9 per reception and ran 4.43 at combine.

40 times test how fast you can run a 40 yard dash, not deep threat ability.

I have no idea if Torrey with be great or a total bust in SF, but the Niners have never had a player like him with Kap at QB.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":1i2vquvj said:
rideaducati":1i2vquvj said:

SMDH. I dunno, how'd that work out for you?

Not really sure LOCKETTE is the guy you wanna bring up right now.

Keep trying to make your point in any way you know how, but the fact remains that the 49ers have not had a true deep threat at WR while Kap has been the QB. The only guys they've really had were guys in the last years of their careers and actually coming out of retirement (Moss, Lloyd).

Will it make a difference? That remains to be seen...but please stop telling me who is and is not a deep threat on the Niners roster. Hell, the best deep threat on the Niners roster last year was Brandon Lloyd and he ran 4.62 at the combine....and that was over a decade ago. His career yards per reception is 15.0

Percy Harvin ran 4.41. Was he a deep threat? His career yards per reception is 11.5.
Tavon Austin ran 4.34. Career yards per reception is 9.3.
Torrey Smith? 16.9 per reception and ran 4.43 at combine.

40 times test how fast you can run a 40 yard dash, not deep threat ability.

I have no idea if Torrey with be great or a total bust in SF, but the Niners have never had a player like him with Kap at QB.

You told everyone that Keeporpick has never had a deep threat, my contention is that he actually HAS, but hasn't done anything with them because he isn't very good. Even the year Keep led the league in deep pass completion percentage, his receivers bailed him out on most of those 19 completed deep passes. Torrey Smith is a deep threat because his route running isn't good so he only runs deep.