MMQB: In defense of Kam Chancellor

MVP53

Reaction score
And of course, players can sign a contract and show up completely unprepared & out of shape. The team still has to pay them whatever was guaranteed in the contract.

I mean, how much did the Hawks pay Percy Harvin for almost nothing?

Works both ways. Just have to understand what is guaranteed compensation and what isn't.

andyh64000

Reaction score
Kam has an idiot for an agent. He signed a decent deal a couple of years ago but probably could have done better. Now when he sees his mates get much much better contracts he wants some too...especially since he has to to play 2 years without guaranteed money. But Kam gets within a rounding error of what he wants but inexplicably his agent fails to close the deal. So now he is completely f'ed. He has lost way more than the 900K difference and his agent will never let him come back for anything less than all fines waved and that deal.

kearly

Reaction score
I give the article a 1/10. And the comments a 10/10.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":sj1p8fyy said:
So tired of this side of the argument. Every deal comes with some guaranteed and some non-guaranteed money. This was all known when signed.

If the player "sprains his ankle" there are dollars to compensate that player.

If he wants a "list" how about a MUCH LONGER list of players who had non-guaranteed dollars who showed up for training camp and are currently playing and currently getting their paychecks.

Including Robert Turbin, who was waived but also claimed and getting paid by Cleveland.

AND OH BY THE WAY Kam's salary WAS guaranteed in 2015.

Kam can sit for the rest of his life, I'll never support his stupid holdout even if the Seahawks never win another game.
THIS!!!!^^^^!!!!
So, if a player that wants to tear up his contract every Year, and demand more, the team should just suck it up?? HELL NO!!

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Can someone answer me this as I don't know NFL contracts that well. How likely is it that a player will not get the unguaranteed portion of his contract provided he doesnt get injured and plays every game?

I ask this because to my mind Kam was in no danger of not playing every game provided he is fit. Therefore the only logical conclusion I can come to that by asking for more guarantees Kam is fearful of injury and is playing scared.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":26ktwlgr said:
Can someone answer me this as I don't know NFL contracts that well. How likely is it that a player will not get the unguaranteed portion of his contract provided he doesnt get injured and plays every game?

I ask this because to my mind Kam was in no danger of not playing every game provided he is fit. Therefore the only logical conclusion I can come to that by asking for more guarantees Kam is fearful of injury and is playing scared.

That would be a logical conclusion, but I think Kam's being illogical and is just trying to get more money. That looks like it's failed, and now he's just being stubborn/fatalistic.

It can be fairly common for perfectly healthy players to not get the unguaranteed portion of their contracts. Teams will backload contracts, as well as it rising in correlation with the cap, the fact that they're unguaranteed makes them ripe for restructuring, or if they're underperforming, cutting.

If we continue to struggle to implement Jimmy Graham in this offense for example, I doubt we eat up his $9m hit next season (all unguaranteed), and trade him away instead.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Did that list of names include players who were released in order to help pay for Kam's contract? And what were his thoughts at the time?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He was talking about how he was the "happiest man alive" etc. just 2 years ago.
Now all the sudden, the Hawks are "petty" :roll:

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Feel your pain, but Kam is no scrub.

Am in the same boat as Hawkstorian, Kam and his agent knew the deal they signed and were happy with it then, now he wants more but unfortunately it isn't likely to happen. Not buying the premise of the article.

seahawks08

Reaction score
The contract is written for a reason and you sign it by fully understanding what is guaranteed and what is not. It is like a lease agreement, you are bound by it and all the clauses have to be followed unless both parties rewrite it at anytime willingly in agreement. Kam either has gotten bad advice, or is really dumb. This can end in two ways, either he voluntary shows up or he keeps getting fined and costs his guaranteed money too as now you get nothing.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
The important thing about the player compensation is the money is used ON THE FIELD. The Seahawks are using their allotted money to keep their good players, and are near the limit on their cap. If this was Cleveland or Jacksonville or Oakland, a player may have a reason to be upset if they've outperformed his contract, because those teams just sit on money and don't use it.

The Seahawks aren't that way, which makes this situation even more stupid.

WilliamCooper

Reaction score
chrispy":1it7ebdq said:
Kam has as much of a right to sit at home and not play as the Seahawks have not to pay him more. They're both exercising their rights as explained in the contract they both signed.

Kam's holdout may cost him, but that's his choice. I wish he was playing, but I'm not going to pass judgement on him as a person. None of us should unless we have a personal explanation from Kam.

Frankly, I think the Bears require more urgent attention....

Actually, he doesn't have a right to sit at home. He is in breach of his contract right now, and that is why he is racking up fines.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":2oich1xa said:
So tired of this side of the argument. Every deal comes with some guaranteed and some non-guaranteed money. This was all known when signed.

If the player "sprains his ankle" there are dollars to compensate that player.

If he wants a "list" how about a MUCH LONGER list of players who had non-guaranteed dollars who showed up for training camp and are currently playing and currently getting their paychecks.

Including Robert Turbin, who was waived but also claimed and getting paid by Cleveland.

AND OH BY THE WAY Kam's salary WAS guaranteed in 2015.

Kam can sit for the rest of his life, I'll never support his stupid holdout even if the Seahawks never win another game.

AMEN! What a bullshit article. Kam knew, and every NFL player knows that when they sign that contract, the only thing for sure are the guaranteed dollars!

That's why there are "Guaranteed" dollars! And teams need to protect themselves, their fan base, and the other players by not handing out ridiculous guarantees!

Now add to that list those players that got huge guarantess and that screwed over NFL teams and team mates, whether intentionally, or non-intentionally.

Aaron Curry, Marc Sanchez, Jamarcus Russell, Jason Smith, Matt Leinart...etc. etc. etc.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Now, look at how Kam is screwing over Seahawks fans and players by not honoring a contract that he signed.

5th round pick lost to pick up a safety because Kam isn't here. We were desperate and had to overpay.

Possibly 1 or 2 games lost that could effect whether or not Seahawks make the playoffs. That's money his teammates lose because each playoff game has extra pay.

The constant shuffling of back up players in to positions where they're not used to playing, then other players risking injury by trying to do too much.

Contract money that is tied up with Kam is money that the Seahawks are not able to spend on a replacement. Who was let go in order to pay Kam's current contract?

mikeak

Reaction score
Do you know how many agents have been fired by players before a new big deal was signed?

It is not a one-sided thing that only teams uses. Players get cut and they can negotiate guaranteed money - end of story

libertforever12

Reaction score
WilliamCooper":33674sra said:
chrispy":33674sra said:
Kam has as much of a right to sit at home and not play as the Seahawks have not to pay him more. They're both exercising their rights as explained in the contract they both signed.

Kam's holdout may cost him, but that's his choice. I wish he was playing, but I'm not going to pass judgement on him as a person. None of us should unless we have a personal explanation from Kam.

Frankly, I think the Bears require more urgent attention....

Actually, he doesn't have a right to sit at home. He is in breach of his contract right now, and that is why he is racking up fines.

The way NFL contracts are structured, teams can cut a player for whatever reason, including performance, off the field issues, salary cap reasons, etc. Players on the other hand, can't terminate a contract at will. Even if the player retires, if he comes back in a season, the original contract is still valid. So by definition the contract is 'unfair' to the player, even though the players agreed to it. The only leverage the player has is holding out. This is just the business side of the NFL. No reason to get mad at Kam. If you are going to say Kam is greedy, so is the team owner.

libertforever12

Reaction score
ivotuk":21cjh9cw said:
Now, look at how Kam is screwing over Seahawks fans and players by not honoring a contract that he signed.

5th round pick lost to pick up a safety because Kam isn't here. We were desperate and had to overpay.

Possibly 1 or 2 games lost that could effect whether or not Seahawks make the playoffs. That's money his teammates lose because each playoff game has extra pay.

The constant shuffling of back up players in to positions where they're not used to playing, then other players risking injury by trying to do too much.

Contract money that is tied up with Kam is money that the Seahawks are not able to spend on a replacement. Who was let go in order to pay Kam's current contract?

When the Seahawks cut players because of performance and salary cap reasons did you criticized the team for not HONORING the contract? If you did, at least you are not biased.

At the end of the day the team ultimately can’t force the player to do the one thing the team wants the player to do most: show up and play. If a player wants to retired before the contract ends, he can do that. A player holding out to get higher salary is similar to the team threatened to cut a player unless the player is willing to re-work the contract at lower salary.

This is the business between the NFL and the players. To complain Kam is screwing over Seahawks fans is ridiculous.

Cartire

Reaction score
libertforever12":3fncsgzo said:
ivotuk":3fncsgzo said:

When the Seahawks cut players because of performance and salary cap reasons did you criticized the team for not HONORING the contract? If you did, at least you are not biased.

At the end of the day the team ultimately can’t force the player to do the one thing the team wants the player to do most: show up and play. If a player wants to retired before the contract ends, he can do that. A player holding out to get higher salary is similar to the team threatened to cut a player unless the player is willing to re-work the contract at lower salary.

This is the business between the NFL and the players. To complain Kam is screwing over Seahawks fans is ridiculous.

Whatever Kam :roll: