Next Retired Numbers

W

Welshers

So the franchise has so far retired the numbers of four players: Steve Largent (80), Walter Jones (71), Cortez Kennedy (96) and Kenny Easley (45). Five if you count the twelfth man. Kennedy was the last time we retired a number and that was in 2012. Jones got his number retired in 2010 two years after retiring. Who, if anyone, do you think should have their number retired one day?

My guess is both Bobby and Russel will one day get their numbers retired by the Seahawks. They brought us our first SB and may very well play their entire careers here. Both are lock hall of famers. At the time I would have said we need to retire Sherm or Earls number but things didn't end on good terms with those guys. I wouldn't be against retiring Alexanders number but a lot of fans have ill will against him and he didn't exactly leave on great terms either.

But I think 54 and 3 will one day be retired and hanging at Lumen field

Jerhawk

Reaction score
#3, 24, 25, 29, 31, 37, 54, 89 within 10 years.

#14 within 20 years

When we run out of numbers, we can begin using letters or the Vulcan numerical scale.

OP
OP
W

Welshers

Jerhawk":394hrrgg said:

#14 within 20 years

When we run out of numbers, we can begin using letters or the Vulcan numerical scale.
Love it but I don't know about Earl after the way things ended

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Good question.

Yeah 3 or 54 after they go into the HOF, but that's it. The LOB is grouped together, so you're not going to retire any of their numbers. Kam has the best chance, but he didn't play long enough to get into the HOF, so probably not even him.

Marshawn? Eh, probably not him either. Fringe HOF'er that finished his career elsewhere.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
[instagram][/instagram]
Jerhawk":2rz2pwv4 said:

#14 within 20 years

So much this.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1osa98vp said:
Good question.

Yeah 3 or 54 after they go into the HOF, but that's it. The LOB is grouped together, so you're not going to retire any of their numbers. Kam has the best chance, but he didn't play long enough to get into the HOF, so probably not even him.

Marshawn? Eh, probably not him either. Fringe HOF'er that finished his career elsewhere.
Um, he finished here last year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1x3soh9q said:
Sgt. Largent":1x3soh9q said:
Good question.

I guess, emergency RB for a couple games.

My point is Marshawn spent his most time here, but show me a player that's had his number retired in an organization that bounced around from 3-4 teams and isn't in the HOF.

People are mistaking beloved and number retired worthy. Number retired worthy usually requires two VERY big factors;

1. Hall of Fame player
2. Spent 95% of career or more with the team.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":12h45qvz said:
Sports Hernia":12h45qvz said:
Sgt. Largent":12h45qvz said:
Good question.

I guess, emergency RB for a couple games.

My point is Marshawn spent his most time here, but show me a player that's had his number retired in an organization that bounced around from 3-4 teams and isn't in the HOF.

People are mistaking beloved and number retired worthy. Number retired worthy usually requires two VERY big factors;

1. Hall of Fame player
2. Spent 95% of career or more with the team.

Then Franco and Jerry should be in our rafters also, you didn't say which team they had to be with 95 percent of the time....

:)

Ring of Honor retired Jerseys for a team is different, many times a play does outstanding things during his career for a franchise and community but doesn't get into the HOF.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I don't really like retiring numbers. If I had to choose, I'd also say HoF only.. so Russ and Bobby.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
1. #3 - Best Seahawks QB Ever
2. #31 - One of the greatest Safety's in NFL History
3. #54 - Seahawks all time leading tackler
4. #25 - Fan Favorite, Loud mouth, and "the tip"
5. #24 - Beastquake
6. #14 - TBD

bigskydoc

Reaction score
#24 transcended team based fandom to briefly become the face of the NFL. The NFL didn't want it. The media didn't want it. Neither could stop it.

Ask any casual fan of any team in the 2010 decade to name 2 running backs on another team. 9 times out of 10 their first answer was Lynch, and their second was a head scratch.

Lynch is still a household name, and is still synonymous with the Hawks, our first Super Bowl, and to some extent the LOB.

If he doesn't make the HOF, he will be the only RB that has an iconic, permanent place on the highlight reel of historical runs. It will also be because of the disdain from media elites.

He spoke to, and drew out the common man. He may not have the stats, but name me one other player who has achieved his level of intangibles.

He deserves the HOF for his transcendent performance and personality.

OP
OP
W

Welshers

bigskydoc":5lru4lel said:
#24 transcended team based fandom to briefly become the face of the NFL. The NFL didn't want it. The media didn't want it. Neither could stop it.

Ask any casual fan of any team in the 2010 decade to name 2 running backs on another team. 9 times out of 10 their first answer was Lynch, and their second was a head scratch.

Lynch is still a household name, and is still synonymous with the Hawks, our first Super Bowl, and to some extent the LOB.

If he doesn't make the HOF, he will be the only RB that has an iconic, permanent place on the highlight reel of historical runs. It will also be because of the disdain from media elites.

He spoke to, and drew out the common man. He may not have the stats, but name me one other player who has achieved his level of intangibles.

I agree. Put him in the HOF and also retire his number!

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Could very well:

3, 24, 31, 54 based on current accomplishments.

I think Lynch and Chancellor are many personal fan favorites that will only get their numbers retired if they make the HoF.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
bigskydoc":dtjaq5fv said:

You don’t retire numbers on sentiment alone. He simply had too few years here. Won’t happen and I’d put money on it.