NFC West Training Camp

kearly

Reaction score
redbird":27wbrmhq said:
Scottemojo":27wbrmhq said:
On Dec 11 of 2104, the Rams and Cards put on the biggest display of pathetic offense I have seen in quite some time. I watched it. Damn my eyes, I watched the whole thing.

That's nice. As far as that Thursday night game which really seemed to bother you, no one forced you to watch...

I guess that would explain the intense regret.

kearly

Reaction score
I thought the Cardinals run game had a chance this year. They drafted one of the more under-rated RB prospects (David Johnson) at a good value, a guy that deserves comparisons to Matt Forte. They brought in Iupati. They seemed to be moving Ellington to his proper 3rd down back role.

But from what I've heard, Johnson has not had a good camp, and it seems likely that no other RB has stepped up. Signing Chris Johnson as a likely starter speaks volumes.

And now Iupati is going to miss 6-8 weeks.

When you have a QB as old and brittle as Palmer, you MUST make the running game your focus. The running game was a huge failure last year, and I commend Arizona for trying to fix it this offseason with some smart moves, but it looks like they can't catch a break.

Watching the Cardinals offense last year felt like watching the late Tim Ruskell years here in Seattle. And if they fail to run the ball again in 2015, they'll be another negative DVOA squad.

kearly

Reaction score
The Rams are more of a mystery. I am normally irritated and annoyed by the annual Rams hype you hear on these boards every year. I've seen them as a losing team every year and fought back against the hype.

But now, they *might* have a real QB who can stay healthy. They added a monster at RB. And their defense can be nasty.

Until now, it felt like the Rams had invested all of their talent into their front seven and were basically a joke everywhere else. But now at QB and RB, they have two high upside dudes, and that could *maybe* change the equation for them.

I've never seen the Rams as a good team the last decade, but I think they have a realistic shot at 9 or 10 wins this year. If Seattle stumbles, I could see the Rams taking the division at 10-6.

I'm not afraid of the Cardinals. I think we'll probably end up rooting for them when they play the Rams.

ClutchDJ

Reaction score
kearly":4hhs4ivy said:
I thought the Cardinals run game had a chance this year. They drafted one of the more under-rated RB prospects (David Johnson) at a good value, a guy that deserves comparisons to Matt Forte. They brought in Iupati. They seemed to be moving Ellington to his proper 3rd down back role.

But from what I've heard, Johnson has not had a good camp, and it seems likely that no other RB has stepped up. Signing Chris Johnson as a likely starter speaks volumes.

And now Iupati is going to miss 6-8 weeks.

When you have a QB as old and brittle as Palmer, you MUST make the running game your focus. The running game was a huge failure last year, and I commend Arizona for trying to fix it this offseason with some smart moves, but it looks like they can't catch a break.

Watching the Cardinals offense last year felt like watching the late Tim Ruskell years here in Seattle. And if they fail to run the ball again in 2015, they'll be another negative DVOA squad.

David Johnson hasn't had a good camp because he was slowed down by a hamstring injury, but he has gotten back on field & has gotten praise, especially for his receiving ability.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
redbird":3m8pzi6p said:
That's nice. As far as that Thursday night game which really seemed to bother you, no one forced you to watch...
I forced me to watch. I watch all division games, Hawks games, and 3 or 4 others every week of the season. Love the Hawks, but I am a fan of the game first and foremost. Besides, the Hawks finished the season with Cards and Rams, so I had to watch.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Rex":1y5z0q1b said:
Maulbert":1y5z0q1b said:
We can't help it if your QB is a statue made of glass and ours is a mobile fortress of adamantium.

Adamantium :?:

Adamantium is the metallic substance embedded in the bones of the XMAN known as Wolverine. Kinda helps to make him able to recover from hits off defensive linemen when they get by our rotating offensive line. LOL

kearly

Reaction score
ClutchDJ":16txub6g said:
David Johnson hasn't had a good camp because he was slowed down by a hamstring injury, but he has gotten back on field & has gotten praise, especially for his receiving ability.

I think he will come on eventually. I will probably try to stash him in fantasy with a late pick.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Rex":1js5glip said:
RedAlice":1js5glip said:
rideaducati":1js5glip said:
RedAlice":1js5glip said:
Massive fighting to end Rams and Boys.

Rams cancelled Wednesday Oxnard practice.

It's moved to a high school by their hotel 25 miles south. Per a text from Demoff. Not open to public.

I'm told if u have his text u can go. Will see. I have his text.

Fisher's team in midseason form already.

You cannot imagine how mad I am.

But you'll still go. Try that Uber. :th2thumbs:

I did go. Was one of the best parts of the 3 days as it was not open to the public. I'm sure you go to private practices all the time since you live by the team.

At the end, after the whole team huddle - Fisher pointed over to us few fans and him and Quinn came over to say Hi and thank you for the support. Cook also. They stayed and chatted. Was cool as was not a normal fan crowd and they were in really happy moods.

Probably the most up close practice I will see kind of like what you always go to by you.

Rex

Reaction score
RedAlice":wvvrs16j said:
Rex":wvvrs16j said:
But you'll still go. Try that Uber. :th2thumbs:

I did go. Was one of the best parts of the 3 days as it was not open to the public. I'm sure you go to private practices all the time since you live by the team.

At the end, after the whole team huddle - Fisher pointed over to us few fans and him and Quinn came over to say Hi and thank you for the support. Cook also. They stayed and chatted. Was cool as was not a normal fan crowd and they were in really happy moods.

Probably the most up close practice I will see kind of like what you always go to by you.

You must have me confused with someone else since I do not live anywhere near the team. What is your impression of the vibe at camp especially after the fracas with the Cowboys? Were spirits high or were they like whipped dogs? Did you hear any mention of the season opener with the Seahawks? Your impression of the O line? Was Gurley out and about?

Marvin49

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":2gcgh4nu said:
Rex":2gcgh4nu said:
Maulbert":2gcgh4nu said:
We can't help it if your QB is a statue made of glass and ours is a mobile fortress of adamantium.

Adamantium is the metallic substance embedded in the bones of the XMAN known as Wolverine. Kinda helps to make him able to recover from hits off defensive linemen when they get by our rotating offensive line. LOL

Totally off topic...

...but as a long time Comic fan, X-Men in particular....I always hated that word. Its supposed to be a takeoff on the word Adamant, but whenever I look at it I see Adam Ant, the 80 singer. :D

pc2.jpg

Not exactly what Marvel was going for.

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
Of course there are always positives and negatives in camp....

Some of the negatives for us is our first round pick Knee Deep. Can show domination and than just quit on the next play. You can't trust a guy like that in the lineup. But he is only 21 and of course can turn it around.... Other negatives. All of our FA signings have been hampered with injuries. Iuapati had knee surgery, Weatherspoon is yet to practice during training camp from a hamstring injury. Corey Peters tore his ACL, and Chris Johnson has had a nagging hamstring issue.

@PFF
David Johnson's 9 broken tackles on only 12 carries is the most we've ever seen in a preseason game.

A lot of people said he was an underrated back with a lot of potential. Saw the tweet above from PFF and remember him just dominating almost every time he touched the ball in his only preseason game.

Rodney Gunter another rookie has been extremely impressive and looks to become a starter or have significant starting time right off the back. Another interesting surprise is UDFA Xavier Williams looks like not only will he be stealing a roster spot, but will also be playing a significant amount of time. The Cardinals also picked up the fastest player in this years draft. He looks as if he might have moved up and past Jaron Brown on the roster (Not to be confused with John Brown) He has been practicing ahead of him and played in the first quarter (Received the long bomb from Palmer when he blew past defenders. In fact Palmer thought he overthrew him and he actually had to slow down to catch it allowing him to be tackled)

Massie, our starting RT was also suspended for 3 games. Cooper looks to be coming along nicely after finally being fully healed from his broken leg. Tyran Matthieu was the star of training camp until Rodney Gunter and Xavier Williams later stole the spotlight.

Training camp ended today for the Cardinals.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Gotta say I love this thread, Great insight around the NFC west. Thanks everyone for contributing.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Marvin49":sxzuk5a7 said:
Seahawkfan80":sxzuk5a7 said:
Rex":sxzuk5a7 said:
Maulbert":sxzuk5a7 said:

Totally off topic...

...but as a long time Comic fan, X-Men in particular....I always hated that word. Its supposed to be a takeoff on the word Adamant, but whenever I look at it I see Adam Ant, the 80 singer. :D

pc2.jpg

Not exactly what Marvel was going for.

Staying with the off topic for one more post....maybe that is why they went with him being as small as an ant for a character....smaller as in not to be seen. LOL :lol:

Back on Topic,...Really like what Ringless did here. All homerisms aside, seems like we get a better feel for how the teams are approaching the preseason thru open eyes without the rose colored glasses.