NFL coaches on Wilson, according to Cossell

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
Except that's complete BS. Russell has already had numerous games in his career where he was exceptional.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
seedhawk":1vjoji2v said:
Actually, Cosell is probably correct in rating Wilson "slightly above average". However, Wilson gets this rating simply because he is NOT asked or tasked with exceeding that level, AT THIS TIME. Wait it out about 4 more years, let Lynch retire, watch our teams dynamic change,, and THEN rate Wilson.

Cosell wasn't the one saying that. He's saying he heard that from GMs whom he respects. That's what he found interesting.

My opinion is the Seahawk won the Superbowl and I could give a shit what anyone else things about any of our players.

MadSweeney

Reaction score
Smellyman":1gp3grvd said:
and RW has simply gone on and thrown daggers into those opposing coaches.

After being 2nd in the league in come back wins the last two years, it is really funny when those same opposing coaches say, "we just couldn't stop RW".

that guy is saying an opinion, opposing coaches do fear RW

Curiously, Luck is first in comeback wins the last two years. I'm not convinced yet that Luck isn't better than Wilson. Their jobs are a little too dissimilar to start with and more time is needed. Hell, people still debate Brady/Manning. Obviously Wilson's in the lead for now (despite Luck being 1-0 against Wilson) but once Indy rebuilds to the same level of team that can have continued playoff success, then I think the debate sill get really juicy. And RGIII won't be in it.

I know this is a treasured theme here, to go back and bash on all the haters, but despite my distaste for it, I also think it's a little bit of a backhanded insult to Wilson to do it. Yeah, tons of experts were wrong about him, but they had the odds and the long history of short QBs not making it on their side. Wilson is a near perfect specimen of a successful QB. It takes an extraordinary player to buck those odds. A brees, a Flutie, a Tarkenton. Getting on all the people that went with conventional wisdom discounts RW's gifts. Some of them were vehement in their denial and I don't see anything wrong with pointing out the ones that were extremely wrong, but this trend of nailing every single person who didn't pick RW as the best QB of the draft is insulting. Celebrate winning, who cares what others think now?

Mick063

Reaction score
With Respect to RW's numbers, they are incredible through interpolation. Put simply, he just doesn't throw the ball a lot. If he throws it as many times as other quarterbacks, his numbers would be great. Consider the limited number of throws and the extraordinary number of QB "pressures". He was in the MVP discussion this season.

Interpolation

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

For other uses, see Interpolation (disambiguation).

In the mathematical field of numerical analysis, interpolation is a method of constructing new data points within the range of a discrete set of known data points.

In engineering and science, one often has a number of data points, obtained by sampling or experimentation, which represent the values of a function for a limited number of values of the independent variable. It is often required to interpolate (i.e. estimate) the value of that function for an intermediate value of the independent variable. This may be achieved by curve fitting or regression analysis.

A different problem which is closely related to interpolation is the approximation of a complicated function by a simple function. Suppose the formula for some given function is known, but too complex to evaluate efficiently. A few known data points from the original function can be used to create an interpolation based on a simpler function. Of course, when a simple function is used to estimate data points from the original, interpolation errors are usually present; however, depending on the problem domain and the interpolation method used, the gain in simplicity may be of greater value than the resultant loss in accuracy.

There is also another very different kind of interpolation in mathematics, namely the "interpolation of operators". The classical results about interpolation of operators are the Riesz–Thorin theorem and the Marcinkiewicz theorem. There are also many other subsequent results.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
TJH":fh0amrwd said:
Russ Willstrong":fh0amrwd said:
TJH":fh0amrwd said:
Well, he's partly true. Luck would never be able to get away with winning games with with 100-150 yards like Wilson has many times. Also, it is far easier to run an offense predicated on play action. He isn't as good as Luck, but to say it's laughable to put him in the conversation is going a bit too far.
Only thing he isn't as good as Luck at doing is throwing INT. Be more specific please.

Ok. He is further behind, in my opinion, at reading defenses and progressing through his reads. Accuracy can also be an issue as he overthrows a lot of balls. Luck also has better pocket presence as Wilson is too quick to escape the pocket left or right exposing his tackle, as opposed to stepping up into the pocket. The Cards really forced that last issue by forcing contain and Wilson struggled.

Luck's accuracy was AUCE during the playoffs huh?

Oh, you mean he didnt intentionally throw all those interceptions against that VAUNTED defense he was playing??? That must have been his superior progression of reads on display. Great analysis as always.

After ripping RW all year long on here, and watching him lead us through the playoffs and our first SB, you must be conflicted.

You and Hugh "I'll eat my microphone if RW ever amounts to anything" Millen have a lot in common. How does a microphone taste BTW?

chris98251

Reaction score
Because he has a balanced offense he's not as good is what your saying because he doesn't have to put up 350 yds a game to win. Yet his percentage of throws no matter how many are completions is higher and he turns the ball over less even with those throws.

If you look at Bob Greise as a QB nothing stands out except he was a great leader and competitor, he had a great running game and didn't need to throw the ball a lot, when he did he had great results. Thats kinda of how I see Wilson, you can be very good or great and not have to show it every week becasue you have a team around you, when called upon that skill presents itself.

In fact Shula and Pete have a lot in common, No Name defense and Legion of Boom, a balanced attack with a smart QB leading the charge that doesn't have to put the team on his back every week but can if asked to. Great supporting cast to keep everything balanced.

bigcc

Reaction score
stopped listening when he said he doesn't fully understand the importance of a qb's hand size

TXHawkFan

Reaction score
seedhawk":2wz7tqdu said:
Actually, Cosell is probably correct in rating Wilson "slightly above average". However, Wilson gets this rating simply because he is NOT asked or tasked with exceeding that level, AT THIS TIME. Wait it out about 4 more years, let Lynch retire, watch our teams dynamic change,, and THEN rate Wilson.

What!!?? I can think of at least two games this season (Texans, Bucs) where Wilson put the team on his back and led them to a win from a large deficit. Lose those two games and there's no guarantee that an 11-5 record even makes the playoffs this year in the NFC. And that's not including numerous close games where he made big plays at crucial times.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Super Bowl Champion. Most wins with a team through two seasons. Russell Wilson.

Also, Bill Polian is a useless jack off. I've never once heard the dude state an original thought, let alone say anything worthwhile.

lukerguy

Reaction score
An average QB in this league, is a very good QB (14-18). Slightly would mean around 12. I have him at 8. I don't think this is much of an article unless you believe he's a top 5 QB (as some of you do who refuse to take off your homer glasses). Flacco won a superbowl with a lesser defense, and lesser running game- let's crown him top 5 too?

Wilson is an above average qb, but he's not elite. There are only 4 elite QBs (manning, brady, rodgers, brees). The next tier of about 7 guys are all very close.

chris98251

Reaction score
There are only 4 elite QBs (manning, brady, rodgers, brees).

Wilson has beat every one of them and has yet to lose to any of them. So much for Elite.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
If Foles was in Indy putting up the exact same stats as Luck, I guarantee no one is talking about him as the best young QB prospect in the NFL. In fact, he'd probably be getting killed for his 7 post-season INTs. You're kidding yourself if you think pre-draft biases aren't playing a factor in present-day evaluation.

OP
OP
davidonmi

davidonmi

Reaction score
lukerguy":1pi73m2p said:
An average QB in this league, is a very good QB (14-18). Slightly would mean around 12. I have him at 8. I don't think this is much of an article unless you believe he's a top 5 QB (as some of you do who refuse to take off your homer glasses). Flacco won a superbowl with a lesser defense, and lesser running game- let's crown him top 5 too?

Wilson is an above average qb, but he's not elite. There are only 4 elite QBs (manning, brady, rodgers, brees). The next tier of about 7 guys are all very close.
I agree, what I take away though Is they think Wilson is 13-14 I think he's 6-8, there's a big difference. I also don't think the luck comparison is laughable

scutterhawk

Reaction score
JMR":15a3ar7i said:
I'm far from a Luck fan, but holy cow we at least need to try to be fair and objective.

Let's try it this way. The center of gravity for Indy's offense has been Andrew Luck since week 1 of 2012. He was handed the keys and essentially asked to make it all work. He has no running game. He has only "ok" WRs to throw to (especially with Wayne injured). It's more or less impossible for that offense to do well without Andrew Luck being the main reason.

It's not really that way on our team. This offense has been run-first the last 2 years. Its center of gravity has been the running game, and that's backed up frequently by just about anything coming out of PC's mouth when he's talking offense. RW has indeed played very well in the context of our offensive scheme, but it doesn't start and end with him like in Indy. He has help, and we can be effective on offense and win consistently without him putting up big #s. In fact, often times we have won simply on the strength of tough defense and solid running with minimal offensive mistakes. Nothing at all wrong with that, and it's not all that far from what Brady did early on as a starter, but we have to at least acknowledge the truth here.....and we can do that and still be huge Seahawks/Wilson fans.
I think you're trying to be a little more bias with your assessment BUT, Russell Wilson has way fewer interceptions, because he knows when to take chances, which I think Luck does too often, and therefore throws a lot more interceptions.
PLUS, Russell Wilson plays in a way tougher Division, with much tougher Defenses, so the fact that he has played through the gauntlet and came out the other side with more wins, and the Lombardi, screams of the disrespect, and erroneous evaluations by dimwits like Cosell.
Because of poor O-Line play early in the Season, Russell Wilson was sacked, hurried, and molested more than ANY Quarterback in the League, but IN SPITE of these, he still managed to tough them out, and come back to win, and I don't think Luck could have done anywhere near as well in those exact same circumstances.
There's just too many of these jokers that are still denying the talent that Russell Wilson is.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I wonder what the overall winning percentage of opponents has been the last two years for Luck and Russel.

randomation

Reaction score
DavidSeven":j8rlsixy said:
If Foles was in Indy putting up the exact same stats as Luck, I guarantee no one is talking about him as the best young QB prospect in the NFL. In fact, he'd probably be getting killed for his 7 post-season INTs. You're kidding yourself if you think pre-draft biases aren't playing a factor in present-day evaluation.

Yup agree 100%

HawkGA

Reaction score
Keep denigrating him GMs around the league. Just makes it more likely the Seahawks sign him without too much difficulty when he's eligible.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
lukerguy":21q4r3jy said:

This post is about as boneheaded as it gets. He is 5-6 and that's only in question because he doesn't throw it 30-40 times a game racking up empty meaningless yards.

chrispy

Reaction score
SouthSoundHawk":1fi47an5 said:
Super Bowl Champion. Most wins with a team through two seasons. Russell Wilson.

Also, Bill Polian is a useless jack off. I've never once heard the dude state an original thought, let alone say anything worthwhile.

By definition, average means that there are as many QBs better as there are worse. Neither Cossell nor Arians can honestly believe that there aren't 17 or more teams in this league that would start RW. It just makes him sound like he either doesn't know football, doesn't know the definition of average, or doesn't know how to divide by 2.

hawks4thewin

Reaction score
randomation":hng1ddk8 said:
God I can't wait for Russ to have Percy for a full year going to light the league on fire.

I love percy when he is on the field.. Its just... I don't think he can be on the field all year...

Latest posts