Niner fans here: How's the crowd at the new stadium?

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":gg2r54be said:
ZagHawk":gg2r54be said:
Regardless of how their crowd has been all year. I'm pretty sure their fan base will wake up for the Seahawk game.

Maybe. But I could also see a big chunk of Niner season ticket holders not wanting to travel to Santa Clara on Thanksgiving when they got their ticket package before the season started.........and thus seeing a LOT of Hawks fans at this game (or not a full house like some of these home games have looked like).

Don't get me wrong, the Niners are still a good team. But there seems to be this negative pall over the organization with Harbaugh's drama, not a lot of faith in Kaeperstink and some of the other player grumblings we've heard this year.

So I think that's what we're seeing in the stands, kind of a "prove it first before we commit to getting all crazy over this team" attitude from the Niner fanbase.

Yeah but if you're willing to give up your thanksgiving to travel, sit in the cold, and go to a football game (and face the hell you'll deal with from your family for ditching them on thanksgiving). You're probably a pretty die hard football fan. I think there will be enough SC/SF fans in the building to notice.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Can confirm. I oftentimes find myself paying $300 for a ticket then wandering aimlessly around the stadium, catching glimpses of the game from concourse televisions.[/quote]

Ya this is the type of thing I would expect from someone like you, I would hope that your chaperon would be nice enough to show you the museum and some of the other sites rather than just leave you in front of the TV screen with your helmet on and your box of crayons.[/quote]

Another excellent point. I regularly find myself at the museum during the late third/early fourth quarter of games. Can't believe that slipped my mind.[/quote]

Well that's because your stadium doesn't have a museum, you really only need a broom closet to store that one trophy. Actually you could use all that room in your bandwagon now that its empty.[/quote]

Yeah, that bandwagon sure looked empty Sunday with our sellout rowdy crowd and a dominating win over the 9-1 Cardinals. Dont project your lifeless team and fanbase on ours.

Keep trying. Pat Pat.

lvnginhwktwn

Reaction score
irocdave":2c3f4cm4 said:
Hawk fans totally baiting niner fans with the size of their fandom ( and getting a direct hit) is kinda funny and pathetic at the same time. I get where this is coming from but....the Hawks won it all last year and you "cant fix webzone". Let it go Hawk fans, let it go. Theirs a great game on the horizon, don't care which side your on, you know it's a big game and should be a great football game.

I find this much easier to say because Kam looks like Kam again and Wagner is back. Even if the niners scrape out a win they will know who came to town and drop a couple after the physical pounding.

Dude it's rival week, it's only going to get worse but that's what makes it fun.

lvnginhwktwn

Reaction score
Hawkpower":2na9ke67 said:
Can confirm. I oftentimes find myself paying $300 for a ticket then wandering aimlessly around the stadium, catching glimpses of the game from concourse televisions.

Ya this is the type of thing I would expect from someone like you, I would hope that your chaperon would be nice enough to show you the museum and some of the other sites rather than just leave you in front of the TV screen with your helmet on and your box of crayons.[/quote]

Another excellent point. I regularly find myself at the museum during the late third/early fourth quarter of games. Can't believe that slipped my mind.[/quote]

Well that's because your stadium doesn't have a museum, you really only need a broom closet to store that one trophy. Actually you could use all that room in your bandwagon now that its empty.[/quote]

Yeah, that bandwagon sure looked empty Sunday with our sellout rowdy crowd and a dominating win over the 9-1 Cardinals. Dont project your lifeless team and fanbase on ours.

Keep trying. Pat Pat.[/quote]

You know as well as I do your fans have been dropping like flies this season hense all the post about it on this forum, sure your diehards are still at the stadium but your bandwagoneers are definitely not.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
lvnginhwktwn":2xe07iey said:
Hawkpower":2xe07iey said:
Can confirm. I oftentimes find myself paying $300 for a ticket then wandering aimlessly around the stadium, catching glimpses of the game from concourse televisions.

Ya this is the type of thing I would expect from someone like you, I would hope that your chaperon would be nice enough to show you the museum and some of the other sites rather than just leave you in front of the TV screen with your helmet on and your box of crayons.

Keep trying. Pat Pat.[/quote]

You know as well as I do your fans have been dropping like flies this season hense all the post about it on this forum, sure your diehards are still at the stadium but your bandwagoneers are definitely not.[/quote]

Ah, so in aaaaaoooo aaaaaoooo aaaaaooooo!!! country, an emotional fan posting an hour after a loss that the facebook only fans are losing interest = BANDWAGON EMPTY IN THE WHOLE STATE OF WASHINGTON!!!!!

Nice logic as always whiner.

The dumbest part of your inference (and this is saying a lot) is to imply it somehow matters if some guy on the 17th floor of his accounting building now no longer wears blue on blue friday. Did you see our stadium on Sunday? Did you see yours?

Case Closed. Quit projecting your failures. We fine bro.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
lvnginhwktwn":1967hxc2 said:
You know as well as I do your fans have been dropping like flies this season hense all the post about it on this forum, sure your diehards are still at the stadium but your bandwagoneers are definitely not.

We're losing our bandwagoners? Oh no! What will we do without them?

I don't even know how that was supposed to be a burn on us.

irocdave

Reaction score
Man this thread really needs to be moved to the shack. It's already there post wise, where's the MOD?

lvnginhwktwn

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":okf71n5v said:
lvnginhwktwn":okf71n5v said:

We're losing our bandwagoners? Oh no! What will we do without them?

I don't even know how that was supposed to be a burn on us.

That's the part you don't understand, it's not meant to be a burn. I'm happy they're gone, your diehard fans are fine its the obnoxious bandwagoneers I can't stand. You know the ones that became fans midway through the season or like all the people that only cared about the Hawks after the SB.

Sourdough #49

Reaction score
Looking forward to the game. Hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable Thanksgiving with family and loved ones. Go Niners!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
lvnginhwktwn":2kicacwd said:
CodeWarrior":2kicacwd said:
lvnginhwktwn":2kicacwd said:
CodeWarrior":2kicacwd said:
There is a lot to do and see at the new stadium all while you can still watch the game from anyone of the huge monitors posted all over the stadium. We have never needed a loud stadium to win games therefore our fans are free to move about the stadium without fear of criticism from fellow fans for not sitting in their seats yelling there heads off. If that's your fan's thing great, to each his own.

Ya this is the type of thing I would expect from someone like you, I would hope that your chaperon would be nice enough to show you the museum and some of the other sites rather than just leave you in front of the TV screen with your helmet on and your box of crayons.

Another excellent point. I regularly find myself at the museum during the late third/early fourth quarter of games. Can't believe that slipped my mind.

Well that's because your stadium doesn't have a museum, you really only need a broom closet to store that one trophy. Actually you could use all that room in your bandwagon now that its empty.
You know you've lost the argument when you have to resort to talking about old antique trophies from last century. That's from Page 1 in the "trolling opposing team's forums for dummies" handbook, Santa Clara and Dallas editions.

HansGruber

Reaction score
I go to the Seahawks game every year in San Fran, and have since we joined the NFCW. It's easy because I'm always down there anyway, and you can get tickets pretty easily.

The Bay area just has too many pro teams, I think. It's been 20 years since the 49ers were relevant and winning, but you have the Giants winning the World Series so that's all anyone cares about. Yeah, there are some football fans, but they just don't have the energy you find in a lot of places where there is one football team and the fans are crazy about it.

It's definitely not one of the "marquee" cities for football fans. I've been to many stadiums. Cleveland, Buffalo and Detroit put San Francisco to shame. If the 49ers are a "marquee" team, then their fans are the pee-wee little leaguers of the NFL because the environment in SF/SC is BORING. Falcons and Saints fans? On another level. You go to a 49ers game and it's like attending a Mariners game. Nobody really cares all that much. If that's what being a "glamour" team means, I'm pretty stoked we're not one.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
I haven't been to the Niners' new stadium, but I know from first hand experience that the Bay Area doesn't care that much about football. My perception of the fans at Candlestick while I was there was that they were mostly disinterested and subdued. I would generalize most of the 49ers' fans there as more interested in drinking than yelling or cheering for their team. Can't imagine the wine and cheese crowd has made the experience at their new stadium any more lively.

I was also at a nationally broadcast Stanford game a couple months ago, and there were empty seats everywhere. I was able to get tickets on stubhub ten rows up from the field on the 30-yard line for $10 each. Despite being very competitive over the last seven years, Stanford fans might be the quietest and least passionate college football fans I have ever witnessed. I have also been to Cal games at Memorial Stadium, and although the seats are much more expensive, the fans in general were only slightly louder and more into it.

That's not to say that all Bay Area fans are terrible. Giants, Warriors, and Sharks' fans are some of the loudest in their respective sports. The Bay Area just doesn't seem to be that passionate about football. I think the comparison of 49ers' fans with L.A. Lakers' fans is an apt one.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
hawknation2014":3sxppicd said:
I was also at a nationally broadcast Stanford game a couple months ago, and there were empty seats everywhere. I was able to get tickets on stubhub ten rows up from the field on the 30-yard line for $10 each. Despite being very competitive over the last seven years, Stanford fans might be the quietest and least passionate college football fans I have ever witnessed. I have also been to Cal games at Memorial Stadium, and although the seats are much more expensive, the fans in general were only slightly louder and more into it.

That's not to say that all Bay Area fans are terrible. Giants, Warriors, and Sharks' fans are some of the loudest in their respective sports. The Bay Area just doesn't seem to be that passionate about football. I think the comparison of 49ers' fans with L.A. Lakers' fans is an apt one.

I wouldn't judge Bay Area football fandom based on Stanford and Cal games (Stanford in particular). The way to think about it is that these are globally top educational institutions that happen to have really good football teams sometimes, whereas most NCAA schools they get lumped with are top amateur football programs that happen to teach classes sometimes. I grew up in Berkeley and Cal students and Stanford students just don't care about football in the way that the students and alumns of many other competitive programs do. They only really get up for the Cal/Stanford game each year, and that's MUCH more about the intellectual rivalry than the football rivalry.

As another example, Raiders fans, for instance, are MUCH more similar to the Giants/Warriors/A's/Sharks fans you're talking about. They've suffered through decades of awfulness and are still wildly passionate.

If anything I think the idea of football "fandom" and how one "performs" their fandom has really, really changed in the NFL in the past five to ten years or so, with Hawks fans and Chiefs fans leading the charge. MOST NFL fans still treat fandom as cheering on your team and that's it, whereas Hawks fans and Chiefs fans have really spearheaded the movement of coordinating to create noise before their opponents' offensive snaps in order to disrupt the other team and "participate" in their teams' efforts.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that (seriously -- it's the equivalent of NBA fans behind the basket waving and making noise when the opponent is at the free throw line), but it's a really different interpretation of fandom, and I think sometimes Hawks fans and Chiefs fans can mistake the "passion" of other teams' fanbases with how much or how little they're yelling in coordination to disrupt offenses (translation: it's a difference in how you INTERPRET the role of fandom, not a difference in passion -- I think the Raiders, an incredibly passionate fan base that doesn't coordinate, is a good example of that).

All that said though, at Levi's so far, 9ers fans are definitely pretty quiet. There's no escaping that.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
The reason Hawk fans under estimate the Niners secondary is twofold. They are missing their awesome cover backers right now, and they aren't great an the same press man stuff Seattle runs. But they execute really good zones, and they are good enough at press to disrupt our itty bitty receiver committee. Defensively, Santa Clara know what you want to do and puts the secondary in place to stop it. The eyes are in the backfield as a result of so much zone, which is why 3 of Russell's lowest rushing outputs have been vs the Niners. No scheme is plug and play, but I have been really surprised at how solid the Niners have been despite shuffling corners all season long. Perrish Cox has been good (every time I read his name i LOL, sounds like somebody wished his weiner gone, or a lesbian was granted wishes by a genie, so immature I know).

I love a shortweek game. Neither team is going to develop special plays and schemes, they just have do what they do and go from there.

I used to just hate the Niners, now I only despise them. They have been good for the Hawks, Iron sharpens Iron.

RiverDog

Reaction score
lvnginhwktwn":33lwuhqw said:
There is a lot to do and see at the new stadium all while you can still watch the game from anyone of the huge monitors posted all over the stadium. We have never needed a loud stadium to win games therefore our fans are free to move about the stadium without fear of criticism from fellow fans for not sitting in their seats yelling there heads off. If that's your fan's thing great, to each his own.

Why in the hell would anyone pay lots of their hard earned cash, endure traffic/parking/crowds, et al, then leave their seats and watch the game on television?

I'm not buying it, not at all. Those empty seats shown in the picture were almost certainly the result of fans trying to get a head start on the exiting crowd. It happens at all stadiums to one degree or another, and in this case, it looks like there's more of it happening in Santa Clara than at other locations.

lvnginhwktwn

Reaction score
RiverDog":2azo7tag said:
lvnginhwktwn":2azo7tag said:

Why in the hell would anyone pay lots of their hard earned cash, endure traffic/parking/crowds, et al, then leave their seats and watch the game on television?

I'm not buying it, not at all. Those empty seats shown in the picture were almost certainly the result of fans trying to get a head start on the exiting crowd. It happens at all stadiums to one degree or another, and in this case, it looks like there's more of it happening in Santa Clara than at other locations.

#1 Fans leaving early doesn't decide who wins or loses. And I've been on the ferry with hundreds of Hawk fans heading home before the game was finished.

#2 Seattle is 7-4

#3 SF is 7-4

#4 And most important, 49er Owners, management, players, coaches, and especially the fans, don't give a shit what you buy.

HansGruber

Reaction score
lvnginhwktwn":26y8aovl said:
#4 And most important, 49er Owners, management, players, coaches, and especially the fans, don't give a shit what you buy.

That would seem obvious if one was to gauge interest based on fan attendance and participation. I've never seen a weaker NFL audience in my life than those at 49er home games. It's just downright boring and almost depressing.

The 49ers actually set the standard for "lack of fan interest". Last year, the couple sitting next to me started talking about a dinner party they needed to attend and left before halftime. And that was a game which the 49ers won.

Make all the excuses you want. That is weak beyond belief.

lvnginhwktwn

Reaction score
HansGruber":xmyi6txa said:
lvnginhwktwn":xmyi6txa said:

That would seem obvious if one was to gauge interest based on fan attendance and participation. I've never seen a weaker NFL audience in my life than those at 49er home games. It's just downright boring and almost depressing.

The 49ers actually set the standard for "lack of fan interest". Last year, the couple sitting next to me started talking about a dinner party they needed to attend and left before halftime. And that was a game which the 49ers won.

Make all the excuses you want. That is weak beyond belief.

Like I said in previous post, we are tied 7-4, you guys have nothing to talk crap about so you have resorted to the "our fans are better than yours" arguement, talk about weak.

I know let's sing a song together ready, My fans better than your fans, my fans better than yours....c'mon sing along I know you know the words.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2zt4uwud said:
The reason Hawk fans under estimate the Niners secondary is twofold. They are missing their awesome cover backers right now, and they aren't great an the same press man stuff Seattle runs. But they execute really good zones, and they are good enough at press to disrupt our itty bitty receiver committee. Defensively, Santa Clara know what you want to do and puts the secondary in place to stop it. The eyes are in the backfield as a result of so much zone, which is why 3 of Russell's lowest rushing outputs have been vs the Niners. No scheme is plug and play, but I have been really surprised at how solid the Niners have been despite shuffling corners all season long. Perrish Cox has been good (every time I read his name i LOL, sounds like somebody wished his weiner gone, or a lesbian was granted wishes by a genie, so immature I know).

I love a shortweek game. Neither team is going to develop special plays and schemes, they just have do what they do and go from there.

I used to just hate the Niners, now I only despise them. They have been good for the Hawks, Iron sharpens Iron.

Agree on all fronts in terms of the secondary.

None of those guys are superstars, but they are all very good contributors who play Fangios scheme very well. Not only did they let both of their starting corners from last year go, but the guys they were going to replace them with have been injured. Culliver has played well, but Trumaine Brock was supposed to be their #1 corner and Ward was supposed to be the Nickel back. Brock has hardly played with a series of injuries and Ward is on IR. Cox had played MUCH better than expected as has rookie Dontae Johnson.

For that matter...the Niners rookie class in general has really keep the team afloat....Hyde, Borland, Martin, Ellington (as returner before injury), Lynch, Johnson and Ward (before injury) ALL making significant contributions.

Bethea has been great. While not nearly the intimidator or enforcer that Whitner was, he has been far, far better in coverage. The Niners are ranked very high against the pass despite having little or no pass rush for most of the season.

Fangio has really earned his pay this year keeping it all together while missing Willis, Bowman and until recently Aldon.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The main reason some Hawk fans underestimate the Niners is because they're delusional homers and can't bring themselves to give a rival props.

If the Hawks are better than the Niners this year, it's a very minimal amount. So to think this game isn't going to be anything other than a knock down drag out blood bath of a close game is naive.

Don't get me wrong, I crave and long for the day when the Niners suck again, but that day isn't now, and with their talent isn't in the foreseeable future.

Latest posts