Offensive Line

Tokadub

Reaction score
Honestly I don't know who decides who will be a pro bowler if it's dumb fans or dumb "experts" who say Russell would be a good backup even though his college stats were equal to RG3 or Luck.

Personally I've NEVER seen anything that special in Unger or Ukung. They both seem pretty dang average and I've never understood their exalted status even for a single isolated play. Last season they got totally ram rodded by every team we played, if they were even on the field...

Truth is our pass protection was just about the bottom of the NFL. We can thank Russell's scrambling ability (best mobile QB in NFL), Lynch's Beastmode (made an entire career gaining yards out of nothing our blocking is consistently atrocious he makes us look way better than we are), and Golden Tate saving our booties every other game with sick punt returns or bailing out Russell by improvising on dead plays when our terrible play call fails due to our horrific O-line.

That's another reason I'm so mad we lost Tate. Realistically the ONLY thing we had to do for a guaranteed Super Bowl repeat was improve O-line... Instead we just lose a ton of great players some of them irreplaceable like Tate for some fat lard butt Michael Bennett and Ms. Porcelain Woman Hips Harvin.

So instead of keeping our Super Bowl team in tact and focusing both FA and draft on our O-line for a guaranteed repeat now I'm hearing we need to draft a receiver who has no chance to be better than Tate... Great move... DERP...

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
Tokadub":1l1wwd9c said:
Honestly I don't know who decides who will be a pro bowler if it's dumb fans or dumb "experts" who say Russell would be a good backup even though his college stats were equal to RG3 or Luck.

Personally I've NEVER seen anything that special in Unger or Ukung. They both seem pretty dang average and I've never understood their exalted status even for a single isolated play. Last season they got totally ram rodded by every team we played, if they were even on the field...

Truth is our pass protection was just about the bottom of the NFL. We can thank Russell's scrambling ability (best mobile QB in NFL), Lynch's Beastmode (made an entire career gaining yards out of nothing our blocking is consistently atrocious he makes us look way better than we are), and Golden Tate saving our booties every other game with sick punt returns or bailing out Russell by improvising on dead plays when our terrible play call fails due to our horrific O-line.

That's another reason I'm so mad we lost Tate. Realistically the ONLY thing we had to do for a guaranteed Super Bowl repeat was improve O-line... Instead we just lose a ton of great players some of them irreplaceable like Tate for some fat lard butt Michael Bennett and Ms. Porcelain Woman Hips Harvin.

So instead of keeping our Super Bowl team in tact and focusing both FA and draft on our O-line for a guaranteed repeat now I'm hearing we need to draft a receiver who has no chance to be better than Tate... Great move... DERP...

So that's how it works. You just march the same team out the next season and win another ring. Why would you try to get better or sign your best players? Good to know.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
The cap forces you to rob peter to pay Paul and after a Super Bowl win Paul wants more scratch to do the same job. I get that some guys have to go in order to keep others on the roster. We have not replaced our losses from out side so unless their back ups are upgrades we have lost some ground to our opponents. Maybe we hit some in the draft. OL don't usually contribute as rooks but some how Sweezy did comming from the defense.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Tokadub":1bi7ecy1 said:
...great players some of them irreplaceable like Tate for some fat lard butt Michael Bennett...

fidel-castro-fall-o.gif

Tokadub

Reaction score
Ya, when you have the best roster in the NFL other than offensive line, I'd say you try to keep it together and focus on improving the offensive line.

We really have done nothing to keep the team together other than sign Michael Bennett. We've done pretty much the opposite really...

The plan should of been pretty simple, keep Tate and improve O-line = Superbowl repeat

Right now I don't even know what their plan is (does anyone???)... it seems like they are risking a whole awful lot on Harvin staying healthy which would take a miracle.

Now we might spend a draft pick on a receiver who will be way worst than Tate, this could cause us to miss our draft pick for the offensive line man that we so desperately need.

Ugh... OK now I'm tired this is way too hard to explain but I think it's pretty obvious what the problem is... sleeping pills oh geeze I'm done trying to type for now.

Frozenropers

Reaction score
At this early state of the offseason, I'm not as worried about the O-line as some. When Carroll and JS see a problem, they are not afraid to throw resources at it.....as of now our depth looks something like this.....

LT: Okung
LG: Carpenter, Bailey
C: Unger, Jeanpierre, Smith
LG: Sweezy, Schilling
RT: Bowie, Hauptmann

I can see us drafting a tackle in the first or second round that could start at RT and possibly back up LT. This is a good draft for tackles. I think we some improvement from Carp in the offseason program, otherwise he will be over taken by Bailey. Next man up!

Our biggest weakness right now is at starting RT and backup LT. Not insurmountable problems at all.

So, I'm going to sit right here and :thirishdrinkers:

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, go to bed. All of that was nonsense.

".... way worst than Tate...." (WORSE)

"....should of been...." (should HAVE been)

"....what's their plan is...." (what their plan is)

The plan should of been pretty simple, keep Tate and improve O-line = Superbowl repeat (if Seattle falls apart because they don't have golden tate....they don't deserve to win shit).

No one should take this dude seriously, haha.

gmor

Reaction score
SouthSoundHawk":1rh1unuy said:

The plan should of been pretty simple, keep Tate and improve O-line = Superbowl repeat (if Seattle falls apart because they don't have golden tate....they don't deserve to win shit).

Thanks for the grammar lesson professor.

Frozenropers

Reaction score
Tokadub":1y48ms6b said:
Ya, when you have the best roster in the NFL other than offensive line, I'd say you try to keep it together and focus on improving the offensive line.

We really have done nothing to keep the team together other than sign Michael Bennett. We've done pretty much the opposite really...

The plan should of been pretty simple, keep Tate and improve O-line = Superbowl repeat

Right now I don't even know what their plan is (does anyone???)... it seems like they are risking a whole awful lot on Harvin staying healthy which would take a miracle.

Now we might spend a draft pick on a receiver who will be way worst than Tate, this could cause us to miss our draft pick for the offensive line man that we so desperately need.

Ugh... OK now I'm tired this is way too hard to explain but I think it's pretty obvious what the problem is... sleeping pills oh geeze I'm done trying to type for now.

:34853_doh:

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Who the heck were the OLine saviours the team missed out on overpaying?

Is all this kvetching about Golden Tate getting paid in Detroit?

Here it it not yet 2 full weeks into FA and already several here are deeming the FO incompetent. What total nonsense. These are the same guys who in 4 seasons took a 4-12 team to being the Super Bowl Champions. Complaints may have better traction in August if there still appears to be 'no discernable plan'.

Seafan

Reaction score
SouthSoundHawk":36ppuaml said:

"...should of been..." (should HAVE been) :34853_doh:

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Seafan":22r61af1 said:
SouthSoundHawk":22r61af1 said:

"...should of been..." (should HAVE been) :34853_doh:

http://www.elearnenglishlanguage.com/blog/english-mistakes/should-have-vs-should-of/

I think you're on to something here...

The offensive line isn't as bad as I think people want it to be (if it weren't we wouldn't have anything to complain about).

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
How I hope the Offensive Line shakes out and I'll just use current players since I cannot predict who else will be added through free agency or draft:

2014:
Okung, Hauptmann
Carpenter, Schilling
Unger, Jeanpierre
Sweezy, Van Roten/Smith
Bailey/Bowie

I think Bailey has the athleticism to play and dominate know while Bowie needs to be molded more into a consistently capable player.

2015:
Okung
Bailey
Unger
Sweezy
Bowie

By then Bowie could be transformed into a cornerstone RT, a pairing Bailey with Sweezy would give the Seahawks the most athletic Guard duo in the NFL. And hopefully Okung and Unger can transcend from sub-elite to elite form.

We have the talent, we just need patience on our part, and dedication to their craft on their part.

Tokadub

Reaction score
SouthSoundHawk":3axjd8sj said:

Well Tate did win us multiple games the last 2 seasons...

Is everyone really that confident Harvin will play every game?

Just imagine our offense if Harvin get's hurt... if that happens our only really good receivers will be Baldwin and Kearse.

I just think we need either Harvin OR Tate to win a Superbowl, last year it WAS Tate. Without Tate "filling in" for Harvin last season we would of lost more games, probably lose to SF on the road without our home field advantage (if we even make playoffs).

I think Tate was our best receiver to bail out Wilson from our offensive line problems. When Harvin get's injured and we have no Tate to save Wilson we will lose games.

Example from our worst offensive line performance all season:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=331028014

Week 8 @ St. Louis: Seahawks win 14-7
Wilson Sacked 7 times...

2/2 of our touchdowns were Golden Tate:
Golden Tate 2 Yd Pass From Russell Wilson
Golden Tate 80 Yd Pass From Russell Wilson

Golden Tate had 93 out of 139 receiving yards
Our next best receiver Robert Turbin (no joke) 16 yards...

So in the worst case scenario for our offensive line Wilson targeted Tate 7 out of 18 attempts. He only attempted Baldwin once, Kearse twice, and Zach Miller/Sydney Rice each had three. I don't think that was by design, Tate was bailing him out when nothing was there and won us the game.

I don't feel very confident Harvin can fill Tate's role when he is probably gonna get very seriously hurt.

I really hope I'm wrong and Harvin stays healthy and we improve our O-line. We are in big trouble if Harvin goes down, which wasn't the case when we had Tate.

Jville

Reaction score
So ...... why did this thread get sidetracked?

Tokadub

Reaction score
I'm still on topic, just saying when Harvin gets hurt and we don't have Tate it will expose how bad our O-line truly is. I don't think we can win without one of those guys on the field and Harvin will likely miss games.

If you are talking about all the grammar police derailing the thread I agree. That's a sign of the desperate when they need to resort to grammar lectures instead of a logical discussion to counteract my opinion.

There is a lot of good posts here too that sound confident about the O-line depth we currently have. I hope they are right but I see no evidence of that so far.

Happybelly

Reaction score
Tokadub":1mdkzazm said:

I would suggest you take a couple of steps back and really evaluate everything you said. It's full of assumptions and bad analysis.

m0ng0

Reaction score
Bailey and Bowie do not concern me much at all, both played well and will continue to improve, what can't be replaced was Breno's mean streak and knack for pissing people off and drawing penalties. But again Cable knows what he is doing......

Jville

Reaction score
The offensive line had a huge cap number in 2013. If I recall correctly, it was the most in the NFL last year. Getting the cap numbers under control has been a priority this off season. Seattle's current cap ranking for the offensive line has dropped from #1 in 2013 to #15 .... currently.

It's clear the cap adjustments have opened up the competition at both starting right tackle and starting left guard. I expect to see additional rookies for Cable to work with again this year. A number of linemen under contract are looking at 2014 as their big contract year. So .... the competition should be especially intense.

EDIT: Losing Breno hurt. It's a setback they will have to overcome.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Our Oline was pretty terrible this last year. Both talent and injury seemed to be problems, so there is a lot to get through before its even serviceable.

1) Okung's foot needs to heal
2) Unger needs to stop sucking (cumulative injuries may be the death of him)
3) If Unger doesn't stop sucking, draft a real center, not a DT convert
4) Draft a T prospect early that is nothing like Carp
4B) Cut Carp
5) Hope Bowie/Bailey can develop into quality starters (unlikely, but hope for it)
6) Create a new industrial strength bubble wrap uni for Wilson.

Latest posts