Offensive Line

Anthony!

Reaction score
Frozenropers":dq2n6dbv said:
At this early state of the offseason, I'm not as worried about the O-line as some. When Carroll and JS see a problem, they are not afraid to throw resources at it.....as of now our depth looks something like this.....

LT: Okung
LG: Carpenter, Bailey
C: Unger, Jeanpierre, Smith
LG: Sweezy, Schilling
RT: Bowie, Hauptmann

I can see us drafting a tackle in the first or second round that could start at RT and possibly back up LT. This is a good draft for tackles. I think we some improvement from Carp in the offseason program, otherwise he will be over taken by Bailey. Next man up!

Our biggest weakness right now is at starting RT and backup LT. Not insurmountable problems at all.

So, I'm going to sit right here and :thirishdrinkers:

The problem is other than Okung and Unger the others either are bad or are un proven, and they are going to protect your franchise QB? Really.

Anthony!

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1854a470 said:
Who the heck were the OLine saviours the team missed out on overpaying?

Is all this kvetching about Golden Tate getting paid in Detroit?

Here it it not yet 2 full weeks into FA and already several here are deeming the FO incompetent. What total nonsense. These are the same guys who in 4 seasons took a 4-12 team to being the Super Bowl Champions. Complaints may have better traction in August if there still appears to be 'no discernable plan'.

I never said incompetent, all I said is I have concerns on the o-line, concerns that have existed for several years and have yet to be fixed. As to the o-line saviors there were several available and still available ranked higher than some of ours, As to over paying, since we never brought any in or talked to any we do no know, you are assuming.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Tokadub":ccdoyxtz said:
SouthSoundHawk":ccdoyxtz said:
The plan should of been pretty simple, keep Tate and improve O-line = Superbowl repeat (if Seattle falls apart because they don't have golden tate....they don't deserve to win shit).

Well Tate did win us multiple games the last 2 seasons...

Is everyone really that confident Harvin will play every game?

Just imagine our offense if Harvin get's hurt... if that happens our only really good receivers will be Baldwin and Kearse.

I just think we need either Harvin OR Tate to win a Superbowl, last year it WAS Tate. Without Tate "filling in" for Harvin last season we would of lost more games, probably lose to SF on the road without our home field advantage (if we even make playoffs).

I think Tate was our best receiver to bail out Wilson from our offensive line problems. When Harvin get's injured and we have no Tate to save Wilson we will lose games.

Example from our worst offensive line performance all season:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=331028014

Week 8 @ St. Louis: Seahawks win 14-7
Wilson Sacked 7 times...

2/2 of our touchdowns were Golden Tate:
Golden Tate 2 Yd Pass From Russell Wilson
Golden Tate 80 Yd Pass From Russell Wilson

Golden Tate had 93 out of 139 receiving yards
Our next best receiver Robert Turbin (no joke) 16 yards...

So in the worst case scenario for our offensive line Wilson targeted Tate 7 out of 18 attempts. He only attempted Baldwin once, Kearse twice, and Zach Miller/Sydney Rice each had three. I don't think that was by design, Tate was bailing him out when nothing was there and won us the game.

I don't feel very confident Harvin can fill Tate's role when he is probably gonna get very seriously hurt.

I really hope I'm wrong and Harvin stays healthy and we improve our O-line. We are in big trouble if Harvin goes down, which wasn't the case when we had Tate.

Part of me agrees with you, but part does not as it related to Tate. Mainly because you assume that no one will pick up the slack left by Tate. Forgetting Harvin, no Tate means more throws to Baldwin and Kearse both of whom have helped to win us games like Tate and both of whom Rw has used to bail them out when the o-line messes up. Both of them do well in jump ball situations, and both run well after the catch. I am less concerned about Wr then o-line, as we saw last year even with Tate there were struggles due to lack of time. Also I suspect we will see more Lockett and I am really intrigued by the 6'5" guy from the CFL. From everything I have seen, read, and heard he is a Boldin in the making.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":2ngaetfz said:
Our Oline was pretty terrible this last year. Both talent and injury seemed to be problems, so there is a lot to get through before its even serviceable.

1) Okung's foot needs to heal
2) Unger needs to stop sucking (cumulative injuries may be the death of him)
3) If Unger doesn't stop sucking, draft a real center, not a DT convert
4) Draft a T prospect early that is nothing like Carp
4B) Cut Carp
5) Hope Bowie/Bailey can develop into quality starters (unlikely, but hope for it)
6) Create a new industrial strength bubble wrap uni for Wilson.

You know its funny you say "Create a new industrial strength bubble wrap uni for Wilson" There is an expert out there on the paid part of ESPN, that in his mock draft has us taking a QB at 32. The reason, he thinks our o-line is so bad Rw will not make it through the season. Scary thing is he is not the only one I read it from.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I didn't know that what happened yesterday will be the same tomorrow... god forbid... players actually improving from one season to the next through experience and development of their abilities.

I'm so glad that none of you who think they know better are in a coaching position... I'll sit back and relax knowing full well Cable knows what he's doing and what he wants more than any of you do and just let progress naturally takes it course.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Losing Tate only comes into play if Harvin doesn't step up to the plate, and even then, the loss can be mitigated if we're smart. Good wide receivers are a dime a dozen. Baldwin and Kearse aren't that shabby. It simply didn't make sense to tie up that much money at one position if we paid Tate what he wanted.

The OL has to be the top priority. If we don't take at least two OL's in our top 4 picks in the draft, I'm going to be really disappointed.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
RiverDog":cxp2bpd1 said:
Losing Tate only comes into play if Harvin doesn't step up to the plate, and even then, the loss can be mitigated if we're smart. Good wide receivers are a dime a dozen. Baldwin and Kearse aren't that shabby. It simply didn't make sense to tie up that much money at one position if we paid Tate what he wanted.

The OL has to be the top priority. If we don't take at least two OL's in our top 4 picks in the draft, I'm going to be really disappointed.
You may want to invest in tissues right now. you know, just in case P and J make you sad.

themunn

Reaction score
RiverDog":13oi0s13 said:

If good receivers are a dime a dozen, why did we open the 2012 season with Braylon Edward, Charly Martin and Ben Obomanu on the active roster

RockinHawks

Reaction score
I'm actually quite pleased with the Schilling signing for OL depth. He's another versatile lineman who has experience at G and T.

Birdfinger

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2ym0beum said:
I didn't know that what happened yesterday will be the same tomorrow... god forbid... players actually improving from one season to the next through experience and development of their abilities.

I'm so glad that none of you who think they know better are in a coaching position... I'll sit back and relax knowing full well Cable knows what he's doing and what he wants more than any of you do and just let progress naturally takes it course.

This. Players can and actually do get better with professional level coaching.

nwgamer

Reaction score
I will keep going back to the fact that PC was a Walsh student. PC recalled Walsh stating that the most important thing you can do for your QB is to make them comfortable on the field e.g. Protection. I think this intent was obvious when they drafted a first rounder to hold down the RT spot... it just didn't work out. Breno was a stopgap until we could see what we had in Carp. Now we know where we stand and will likely put some decent resources into keeping #3 off the turf.

I hope we draft a couple stout thugs who are hungry to dominate.

On Unger, I am not sure why people think he is terrible. He sucked up his pain and played hurt through most of the season for us. He was an ALL-PRO center the year before. People (especially fans) are so fickle.

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
Semi-bold prediction concerning the offensive line - Caylin Hauptmann will be the starting RT for the Seahawks, and the reason the Seahawks showed little interest in resigning Giacomini was because the plan all along was to insert Hauptmann, not Bowie or Bailey, into the starting lineup next season.

Very little was said about Hauptmann during this past season, and there was very little scouting info on him coming into last years draft. Hearing Cable talk, he is clearly very high on him. Here is an interesting article out of Miami on Hauptmann that was released the week of the Super Bowl

“He is a tough guy,” Seahawks offensive line coach Tom Cable said. “Extremely powerful, very athletic. And that’s all I care about. If they have a good brain and they’re tough, I can do the rest with him. He’s come in and bought in, and he’s going to be a good player for us.”

Hauptmann has clearly flown under the radar this offseason when discussing Giacomini replacements - I have no real way of knowing for sure what the Seahawks will do (none of us do). But Hauptmann seems to fit the mold of what the Seahawks are looking for at RT - better than either Bowie or Bailey at this point. They scooped him up in a hurry when available, and stashed him on the active roster for a reason. Could the answer to our RT problem be currently on our roster? We will see in August

Frozenropers

Reaction score
Anthony!":214pfgq8 said:
The problem is other than Okung and Unger the others either are bad or are un proven, and they are going to protect your franchise QB? Really.

Couple of thoughts....Most of O-line are young and still ion the improving end of the spectrum, which is a good thing. As far as being "un proven", well....until guys get their chance that is what they are going to be. Bailey and Bowie gained some valuable experience last season and now are ready to take that next step. Carpenter is decent as run blocker, but needs to improve his pass pro....is this going to be the first offseason that Carpenter is fully healthy? Maybe not, but I'm good with the team bringing in young talent to ComPete for playing time on the line.

I think between Bailey, Schilling and Jeanpierre the Hawks have decent depth on the interior O-line. I think Sweezy is still on the improving trend and the team likes him. Carpenter will need to s how improvement this offseason or he won't be the starter.

Our biggest weakness right now is at RT and backup LT. Every team in the league has issues finding a solid backup LT. That's just facts. Bowie is a big question market at RT and that is where I see the biggest need on the O-line.

One thing to remember, the Hawks are trying to manage their cap so they can re-sign, Thomas, Sherman and Wilson in the next 1-2 years. Blowing big money on another O-lineman isn't going to happen.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
I know we've had it beaten into our heads over the years that a good O-line is crucial to a championship-caliber team. But the numbers for SB winners going back to realignment in 2002 don't support that theory.

The rankings are all over the map, honestly. Going by Football Outsiders' O-line rankings, you have some teams, like the '04 Pats and the '09 Saints that had top-flight O-lines. But you also had teams like the '02 Bucs, '08 Steelers, and '10 Packers who had O-lines that were among the worst in the league, both in pass protection and in run blocking. Here are the rankings for the SB winners from last season through the 2002 season:

2013 Seahawks - RB: 9, PP: 32
2012 Ravens - RB: 6, PP: 13
2011 Giants - RB: 28, PP: 6
2010 Packers - RB: 23, PP: 21
2009 Saints - RB: 1, PP: 4
2008 Steelers - RB: 26, PP: 29
2007 Giants - RB: 3, PP: 11
2006 Colts - RB: 5, PP: 1
2005 Steelers - RB: 11, PP: 22
2004 Patriots - RB: 5, PP: 5
2003 Patriots - RB: 23, PP: 13
2002 Buccaneers - RB: 26, PP: 17

I think the quality of the QB and the quality of the defense matter a ton more than the overall quality of the O-line, though I think a top-notch O-line can help a very good QB overcome a lot of other weaknesses on a team (like poor D or poor rushing attack).

Latest posts