Ok....the lateral????

Smellyman

Reaction score
olyfan63":2h6sfd7p said:
It was a forward pass, by rule, and we got away with one. Since it was pitched at the 47 and caught at the 48, by rule it was a forward pass. It did look totally awesome and clearly like a lateral in live play.

Had it been challenged, Philly would have won the challenge. Yes, it was close, but it was clear. Philly wins the challenge, but the game, if they challenge.

No challenge, too bad for Philly. Oh well.

Yup and it was a really good job of Bevell to get the play in quick so not much time to look at it. They also ran a trick play, didn't work, but still a good call to try and catch them off guard.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":zs9s8css said:
XxXdragonXxX":zs9s8css said:
[He throws the ball at the 47, it is caught at the 48...homie....that is a fact.

Wow, really holding that phrase at a distance. I've heard all I need to.

Not real fond of someone who just accused me of being an Eagles fan turning around and calling me homie.

minormillikin

Reaction score
hgwellz12":18m2oflt said:
I don't care! Awesome play!!! Any and all Iglesias fans can kiss my ass. Twice! Thr Thr Thr THREEE TIMES! I LOVE PRIME TIME GAMES!

It really was an awesome play.

SeahawksCanuck

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":37zlgcbl said:
The lateral pass rule is outdated.
It should recognize where the players are in relation to eachother when the ball is tossed and not merely the travel of the ball. If a backward toss isnt even a lateral then NFL may have trouble with its ruling.
Some historic laterals were never scrutinized to this degree by guys like Cris Collingsworth.
If you re-wrote the rule to just make it relative to the passer I think that would still be easy enough to enforce, and allowing this sort of play would make the game more fun to watch.

I mean apart from the pesky rulebook, that play was awesome.

Josea16

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":1i4q32af said:
XxXdragonXxX":1i4q32af said:
[He throws the ball at the 47, it is caught at the 48...homie....that is a fact.

Wow, really holding that phrase at a distance. I've heard all I need to.
So sad for you sir. Go ahead and hit me. I'm waiting for your best spin sir.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":28zv4y0b said:
The lateral pass rule is outdated.
It should recognize where the players are in relation to eachother when the ball is tossed and not merely the travel of the ball. If a backward toss isnt even a lateral then NFL may have trouble with its ruling.
Some historic laterals were never scrutinized to this degree by guys like Cris Collingsworth.
Yes, if the rule-as-written somehow means Sunday's play was illegal, there have been hundreds and hundreds of illegal plays throughout the seasons.

sutz

Reaction score
Refs didn't call it. Must have been legal. :mrgreen:

sdog1981

Reaction score
How is this 2 pages? The Seahawks got a gift.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
GeekHawk":370pksf6 said:
How many challenges does a team get in a half? Because Philly had already challenged once and lost.

Interesting point. Maybe did not want to risk giving up another time out. They are more valuable when losing.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":1l2z24hq said:
GeekHawk":1l2z24hq said:
How many challenges does a team get in a half? Because Philly had already challenged once and lost.

Interesting point. Maybe did not want to risk giving up another time out. They are more valuable when losing.

THey had one challenge left.

I could possibly been a game changer since, if they won the challenge, Seattle is punting instead of scoring.

SeahawksCanuck

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2vrpr2hv said:
THey had one challenge left.

I could possibly been a game changer since, if they won the challenge, Seattle is punting instead of scoring.
Ya if they thought they had even a 50% of winning that challenge, you have to do it given the yards gained on the play, field position, and that it was 3rd down in a 7 point game. I'm sure Pederson will explain why he chose not to challenge; perhaps they just didn't have enough time to analyse properly (it looked like a lateral and took combining a couple shots to realize the ball in fact moved forward).

Exittium

Reaction score
WmHBonney":14s1vjhq said:
We got away with one.
They got away with shit too. (Oline holding, facemask on PRich)
Their coach could have challenged but he did not. THAT is not our fault.
There was also a Facemask on maxi, on one of the long bombs from wentz as well

JKent82

Reaction score
Ignoring in game ramifications, from the rules yeah that was illegal, but from the "that looked like a lateral cause he threw it behind him test" it passes.

It would be nice if football had less insane rule controversies, continuous instant replays and flags and instead had more fun.

Seafan

Reaction score
It was illegal. So, what!

Al Michaels was obsessed with it. Get over it. Bad calls all night, all season, who cares. The iggles scored 10 points and that's why they lost. Not because of one missed call.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Wait.. can you challenge if there is no penalty? No flags right, so how can you can it be challenged?

I know, you can challenge the spot of the ball, but perhaps you can't challenge something like that?

SeahawksCanuck

Reaction score
Bobblehead":m8gqzfu0 said:
Wait.. can you challenge if there is no penalty? No flags right, so how can you can it be challenged?

I know, you can challenge the spot of the ball, but perhaps you can't challenge something like that?
That's a really good point. You generally can't challenge for "missed penalty", not sure if there'd be something about a completed pass you could challenge on.

I assume we'll learn more in the coming days.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
pmedic920":5aeu3tt6 said:
Bobblehead":5aeu3tt6 said:
THey were correct, started at 47, caught at 48..

Does this mater by the letter of the rule, or does it only matter that it gets tossed backwards?
In the NFL it's the yardline thrown vs the yardline caught.

In rugby it's whether or not the ball moves backward relative to the thrower in motion.

In the NFL Wilson's was a forward pass. In rugby, it's perfectly legal.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Maybe I’m dead wrong and Call me a Homer J. Simpson if you must, but I don’t think this is as cut and dried as some want it to be.

It looked like a true lateral to me, meaning sideways. Also not being factored in is the camera angle.
Was the camera ahead, behind, or perfectly aligned with the play?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Bobblehead":3bl5r0jw said:

I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure they could challenge the play in question.

Latest posts