Pete blames himself for RB issues. Lacy to get workload

naholmes

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1cva23we said:
I’m just wondering why McKissic doesn’t get the shot? Kid’s made some plays yet He’s fourth option behind two guys who haven’t produced and a other who gets injured every time he plays.
I don’t think they trust him in pass protection. If you watch him when he’s in the game they will either hand it to him or he will go out for a route every time. It would become predictable if he was playing heavy snaps although he has been the most effective since Carson went down.

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Seymour":24wvi1it said:
Short choppy steps trying to decide which brick in the wall to run into...ya.

Rawls problems are very fixable. Lacy's are not, and never will be.

Interesting....because Lacy has had the far better career.

Seymour

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2d3yexsk said:
Seymour":2d3yexsk said:

Not here he hasn't. GB oline vs ours over the last several years doesn't make this a sensible comparison. Also most teams are not going to stack the box to stop the Packers running game, they would pay like the Texans just did. 2-3 weeks ago that would have worked against us, but now that Russ has a bit of time, he is torching teams for doing that.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
The only reason I can think of that Pete would use Lacy ahead of Rawls is for blocking purposes. If Lacy is force fed the ball against Washington, I guarantee we will be losing at halftime.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
No, there has got to be something else with Rawls that has put him in the doghouse. He's missing lanes or holes or just missing assignments.. what ever they are. He's getting the Christine Michael treatment right now.

RussB

Reaction score
kidhawk":3bn52zra said:
RussB":3bn52zra said:
Rawls has been worse than lacy this season.

Rawls has made bigger mistakes, but he hasn't been any worse. Lacy has a slightly better Yards Per Carry aveerage and Rawls has a better Yards per catch average. They've really been about equal. The reason I like Rawls over Lacy is that Lacy just doesn't seem to do a lot when he's hit whereas Rawls fights for every inch. And I was very excited to give Lacy a shot here when we signed him. I do hope that maybe it's just the shared carries that's the issue. I don't care who it is as long as they can get us a consistent 3+ yards when they carry that ball.
I like lacy more but maybe thats just me. I know he gets hit in the backfield alot. But i think he just needs a chance to get past the line of scrimmage and he can do some damage. Maybe with pocic and brown the run blocking will improve.

Seymour

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1yvpvysn said:
No, there has got to be something else with Rawls that has put him in the doghouse. He's missing lanes or holes or just missing assignments.. what ever they are. He's getting the Christine Michael treatment right now.

It's a combination of things IMO. Neither one could get their head screwed on straight. Difference is, Michael's head was cross threaded from birth. Rawls knows every carry, every mistake, every move is potential of million of $$ (contract time) or going back to Wingstop to build a career. That is a lot of pressure on these guys and some handle it better than others.

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Seymour":1wwpyzgb said:
ImTheScientist":1wwpyzgb said:
Seymour":1wwpyzgb said:

Not here he hasn't. GB oline vs ours over the last several years doesn't make this a sensible comparison. Also most teams are not going to stack the box to stop the Packers running game, they would pay like the Texans just did. 2-3 weeks ago that would have worked against us, but now that Russ has a bit of time, he is torching teams for doing that.

He hasn't had the chance to because he just got here. Not really the best argument. He has had the better career.

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2ypif69v said:

He has directly cost us 2tds, fumbled, caused dumb penalties. Did you see him talking trash to Clowney after the chop block. Dude is Cmike 2.0 mentally ....without the insane talent.

Seymour

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2x2j0quf said:
Seymour":2x2j0quf said:
ImTheScientist":2x2j0quf said:
Seymour":2x2j0quf said:

He hasn't had the chance to because he just got here. Not really the best argument. He has had the better career.

Lacy has more time in the league also. Ya, he's put up more numbers, but both average 4.3 YPC which is the most important stat for any RB. Wash IMO...Besides, that was before Lacy decided to eat his way out of GB anyway. Clearly not the same player that ran up those numbers.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
This news does not excite me..........but really, nit like we have a lot of options right now. Wish Carson was healthy.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I said to do this last week.

Pick a back, and let him play the entire game. If after 2-3 weeks both Lacy and Rawls can't get it going? Then there's your answer, it's time to move on to Davis or grab another RB off the scrap heap.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Can't say I'd prefer running Lacy all day because he doesn't have the upside that Rawls does, but Rawls has committed waaaaaaay too many mistakes over the last two games to get the nod as starter.

Off the top of my head....
The Giants game included a fumble, dropped screen pass, outrunning his blockers on the other screen pass, missing some reads. Texans game consisted of penalties negating a TD, not hauling in a catchable pass, running into the backs of his linemen, missing cutbacks for easy yards.

Lacy is and always has been a downhill runner in the NFL. He's not going to create much on his own, but give him a hole he can run through and his momentum is going to get yards no matter what. His vision so far has been slightly better than Rawls from what I've seen, he just can't get anything going if he's being met at the LOS or behind it.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Seymour":37jmfmiy said:
Hopefully Pete will soon learn, what myself and many others already know.
Yes, it is so glaringly obvious, it ain't even funny.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Hell yeah can't wait for Lacy to get 6 yards on 9 carries again!

The sooner we realize Lacy is the Rees Odhiambo of RB's, the better.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":9ofgumkx said:
Seymour":9ofgumkx said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Both RB's had one decent year and have done literally nothing since.

Lacy is pure garbage.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2xrepn31 said:
ImTheScientist":2xrepn31 said:
Seymour":2xrepn31 said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Both RB's had one decent year and have done literally nothing since.

Lacy is pure garbage.

Dude has never had a season with a YPC lower than 4.1, but he's pure garbage LOL ok.

The amount of hyperbole and lack of perspective in this thread is hilarious.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2i6l6djf said:
Hell yeah can't wait for Lacy to get 6 yards on 9 carries again!.

Hopefully the combo of Brown at LT and Lacy knowing he doesn't have to rip off 12 yard carriers with only a handful of carrier cause of this terrible RBBC thing we've got going on will allow him to get into some sort of rhythm and do what he can do..........which is wear out a defense.

And if you're right and he stinks? Then we've got our answer on him and can move on.

Bottom line, we can't continue this ineffectiveness at the RB position the rest of the season. Gotta get it going, or else it'll spell doom going into the playoffs being one dimensional.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
ivotuk":ll82gd1j said:
Pete's saying that he's to blame for letting Tom Cable swap running backs and offensive lineman in and out, never letting anybody get in to a rhythm.

He's finally putting his foot down and saying, "Enough! we allow the offensive line to build continuity, and we focus on one back so that they can get their feet underneath them!"

"Now, I don't have much faith in Eddie Lacy, so I'll put him out there as the sacrificial lamb this Sunday, and when he fails, I can deactivate him, and go with Rawls for the rest of the season!"

I don't really think he's remotely saying any of this. I think it's pretty apparent they went out and got Duane Brown to not only solidify the OL, but to kick start the running game. Now they have to figure out if paying Eddie Lacy 5.5M was worth it (hint, it wasn't)

"AND, I apologize for letting Tom Cable and Darrell Bevell run Alex Collins, FedEx nominee for Ground Player of the week, out of town."

That's me, parsing Pete.

I said after the Lacy signing that for those that hated fat Alex Collins, they're in for a rude awakening with Eddie Lacy - because they're the same damn dude. I think many fans are realizing this now.

That said, this preseason, Collins was flat beat out by Carson and Davis. So you can't fault Pete for cutting him. There just wasn't room on the roster for him. Where you CAN fault someone, namely JS, is giving $5.5M dollars to a guy that is fat Alex Collins. This is J'Marcus Webb and Cary Williams all over again.

IMHO, Thomas Rawls doesn't get the start because of the fumble in the prior game, the chop block in the last game, and all of his miscues. He needs to relax, and maybe sitting on the bench will help him do that.

Now, to be clear, I blame Rawls struggles on the coaching. Thomas wanted to play, but he knew he was going to get rotated in and out, so figures he needs to really excel when he gets his 1 or 2 plays. Thus, he "overtries" and ends up screwing up.

I don't know how you can blame coaching for Rawls fumbling and missing obvious lanes to run through. Rawls hasn't been much of anything since the 2015 season and the one shining moment against a bad Lions team in the playoffs. He's looking much more like a one-hit wonder (hell Trent Richardson was at one point good too - it happens) than a RB we can actually depend on.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":2g2cnvhx said:
Dude has never had a season with a YPC lower than 4.1, but he's pure garbage LOL ok.

The amount of hyperbole and lack of perspective in this thread is hilarious.

I agree, the lack of perspective that Lacy hasn't been anything above average since his last year at Alabama is pretty funny.

Latest posts