Pete uncertain whether Jamal will be ready week 1

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The “realism” you speak of is NOT fact. It’s nothing more than your opinion.

If you’re insulted by me suggesting that you do a bit of research understand that insulting you was not my intention.

Again, this dialogue would not be taking place had you not come at me for my use of a single word. “Potential”

But it is realism. It's been the realism of the past three years, and will continue to be the realism of Adam's current health, and the usual lack of production of other players who have suffered the same major injuries he has.

I'm glad you're hopeful, but again that's all it is. As usual medic, nice talk.

AgentDib

Reaction score
And i dont know how you arrive at the conclusion that he only elevated our chances 1%? The dude WAS the defense his first year here. He made highlight reel / game affecting plays every week and along the way, set the league record for sacks by a safety. He was also tops in TFL, and had quite a few critical pass break-ups.
1% is the difference between the 10th best and 7th best teams, and represents a very large number for any non-QB. Consider how many potential factors influence each game - 50+ players on each side, large coaching staffs, weather, officiating, injuries, and simple randomness. What would you estimate our Super Bowl chances at with and without Jamal?

To me this is the crux of the issue - going all-in for a position besides QB is never a good move if you are properly weighting the long-term. Every player you draft is a lottery ticket who may bust, but could also give you 4-7 years of play at a heavily discounted salary. However impactful you feel that Adams is, I'm sure we can both agree that he's not being underpaid.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Let us all wait and see if he is in fact ready for the opening of the season and then how he plays after that.

There are several ways of fairly looking at this player's situation and his true value to the team despite sunk cost arguments, it is easy to understand the opposing views. Was it an improvident trade? Possibly but the team trade for Pro Bowl quality SS and he delivered for the first season setting a league record for sacks by a DB, and making the Pro Bowl, since then he's had a string of somewhat nasty injuries and hasn't been able to play mostly or even when up to his prior level as a consistent Pro Bowl level SS. The recent injury history and an argument by some that he doesn't have great ball skills as a DB is the argument against the trade along with the number of draft picks lost. For me I still believe he is an exceptionally talented player who could be very valuable to the team if he could stay on the field on that score we need to see how he plays when he is cleared to play again.

It may be that a fork will need to be stuck in him, but somehow I doubt that his will to play and his genuine talent won't be deterred from showing through.

BleuEyedHawk

Reaction score
this version of Adams with the other talent in the Hawks defensive backfield right now is literally LOB2.

Thank you for posting this, the strip and touchdown by Adams at 3:30 it a thing of beauty. If only...

James in PA

Reaction score
With Adams, Im not so much worried about WHEN he comes back as I am about what happens when he finally does. Will he be able to remain on the field with his reckless abandon style of play? All signs point to No. The irony is that the thing that makes him great prevents him from remaining healthy.

pmedic920

Reaction score
With Adams, Im not so much worried about WHEN he comes back as I am about what happens when he finally does. Will he be able to remain on the field with his reckless abandon style of play? All signs point to No. The irony is that the thing that makes him great prevents him from remaining healthy.
It’s also a concern of mine for Witherspoon.

I guess it’s just part of the game, look at what people have to say about Tyler L. making business decisions.

Fact is, we really can’t have it both ways.
Either guys put it all on the line, or we hate on them.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Kinda reminds me of JJ Watt.
He had a couple of very serious injuries that sidelined him.
Up until he left Houston I never heard a Texans fan hating on him.
I suppose the situation is a lot different in that they didn’t trade for Watt.

Not to mention the fact that Watt had produced at a clear HoF level for the Texans before injuries kept him off the field a lot in 2016-2017. In Watt's first five seasons, he played in the maximum possible number of regular season games - 80. In those five seasons, Watt was Defensive Player of the Year three times, first-team All-Pro four times, and a legit contender for league MVP in multiple seasons despite not being a quarterback. And he did much of that on a rookie contract. Watt's full cap hit for his first five seasons was just over $26.2M, and more than half of that was in his fifth season alone.

Comparing Adams to Watt is very unfair to Adams.

It's just not realistic to look at how Texans fans treated Watt when he got injured after five full seasons of otherworldly performance and expect Adams to get the same treatment from Seahawks fans after he appeared in 25 out of 50 possible regular-season games for the Seahawks while taking up a chunk of the cap that would be appropriate for a very good defensive lineman (or a top-of-the-league safety, which I think we can agree he hasn't been for the Seahawks).

RiverDog

Reaction score
It's just not realistic to look at how Texans fans treated Watt when he got injured after five full seasons of otherworldly performance and expect Adams to get the same treatment from Seahawks fans after he appeared in 25 out of 50 possible regular-season games for the Seahawks while taking up a chunk of the cap that would be appropriate for a very good defensive lineman (or a top-of-the-league safety, which I think we can agree he hasn't been for the Seahawks).
Yeah, Watt's not good comparison for the reasons mentioned above. A better comparison would be Percy Harvin, a player, who like Adams, that we traded multiple high draft picks for, like Adams was injured a lot, and like Adams never fulfilled the expectations we were given when the trade was made.

And like Adams, Harvin attracted a whole lot of scorn from us fans.

Wolfiegrrl

Reaction score
Not to mention the fact that Watt had produced at a clear HoF level for the Texans before injuries kept him off the field a lot in 2016-2017. In Watt's first five seasons, he played in the maximum possible number of regular season games - 80. In those five seasons, Watt was Defensive Player of the Year three times, first-team All-Pro four times, and a legit contender for league MVP in multiple seasons despite not being a quarterback. And he did much of that on a rookie contract. Watt's full cap hit for his first five seasons was just over $26.2M, and more than half of that was in his fifth season alone.

Comparing Adams to Watt is very unfair to Adams.

Previous Texans fan here. Watt is in a category all to himself. When he wasn't on the field, he was doing all kinds of stuff for the community. He even won the Walter Peyton Man of the Year for his work helping out after Hurricane Harvey. I mean this guy used his platform to raise over $37 million to help out his city. Not to mention avidly watching his social media feeds. Hell, one Christmas this young woman lamented not being able to get a Watt jersey for her brother. Freaking Watt replied that he had something better than a jersey. He brought a pair of game worn gloves and cleats to her brother... on Christmas Day! Signed and everthing. He isn't charitable for show, this guy lives and breathes it. Broke my heart when he left the Texans, but he needed to move on. The city still loves him. He was more than just football to them. Still my favorite player, ever!