POLL: If We Get Smoked Tonight...

If We Get Smoked Tonight...

• Ima gunna come on .NET and LIGHT THIS PLACE UP!!!

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I'm going to wear my emotions on my sleeves and say things I might not say after a day or two.

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • I'm going to be calm and speak my truth.

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • Hang out on .NET after another drubbing?? Are you NUTS?!?

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Meh. I already expect it so I will be chill.

Votes: 53 60.9%
  • Other. (Read my comments)

Votes: 10 11.5%

• Total voters

Ozzy

Reaction score
I’m fully expecting a loss. I just don’t want an embarassing loss like the past several games….at least look competitive! Jeez.

I don’t mind posters on dot net when they are happy or when they are upset and frustrated!

I love the dot net community!

I’ll still frequent dot net every single day even in the off season even if the Seahawks are terrible and definitely when they are great!

It’s my team and football is my thing!

I love dot net and I feel like posters here are more rational than at other places.

Let’s goooo!!! Let’s see what happens tonight, but, please make it competitive tonight!
I appreciate you saying that. We're doing our best to make this a safe place for people to come. We can all get emotional at times or go a little too far but for the most part I think its a great community

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
This is a very interesting point.

Makes me reflect on the fact that Pete used to take pride in a 'simple' defense/scheme. "We're gonna keep it simple, execute better than you, and come straight at you".

When he kept it simple - I didn't think that it was for HIM, not the players!

It obviously worked for Pete, at least in college and his first 3-4 years here. That is a BIG part of football, you impose your will on your opponent through sheer athleticism and physicality.

But if you look at what the league's done the past decade, they've diminished a lot of that out of the game, and now it's more in the college style of wide open football protecting it's players as much as possible.

This means you better also be a damn good schemer, not just fixated on the physicality part. Which again, is still important. It's just a much lesser part of the equation than it's ever been.

That's really what Pete's failed at doing. Surrounding himself with the necessary coaches and coordinators who can mitigate his scheme shortcomings.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
It obviously worked for Pete, at least in college and his first 3-4 years here. That is a BIG part of football, you impose your will on your opponent through sheer athleticism and physicality.

But if you look at what the league's done the past decade, they've diminished a lot of that out of the game, and now it's more in the college style of wide open football protecting it's players as much as possible.

This means you better also be a damn good schemer, not just fixated on the physicality part. Which again, is still important. It's just a much lesser part of the equation than it's ever been.

That's really what Pete's failed at doing. Surrounding himself with the necessary coaches and coordinators who can mitigate his scheme shortcomings.
Wow. Excellent points again.

I didn't even think of the fact that the split between the first half of Pete's tenure and the second half - included the league neutering the defenses, and the demise of the REAL LOB.

People used to be straight up scared of the LOB. Like 'don't run crossing routes or you'll have your head taken off' kinda scared. Scared like Genos Shrieking "oh my god!" as Aaron Donald broke through the line. And you're right, that doesn't exist anymore. I looked at the scores (I REALLY don't follow college ball) of a couple college games the other day - and I was like "Are those basketball scores" -

Huh. You gave me something to think about. He didn't have a decent scheme 'cause he didn't need it. Now you do.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Wow. Excellent points again.

I didn't even think of the fact that the split between the first half of Pete's tenure and the second half - included the league neutering the defenses, and the demise of the REAL LOB.

People used to be straight up scared of the LOB. Like 'don't run crossing routes or you'll have your head taken off' kinda scared. Scared like Genos Shrieking "oh my god!" as Aaron Donald broke through the line. And you're right, that doesn't exist anymore. I looked at the scores (I REALLY don't follow college ball) of a couple college games the other day - and I was like "Are those basketball scores" -

Huh. You gave me something to think about. He didn't have a decent scheme 'cause he didn't need it. Now you do.

Right. Watch Kam's highlight videos. 75% of his hits would be penalties now.

So yeah, Pete's insistence on hiring coaches and coordinators from inside his own coaching tree has been to his own demise IMO. Waldron was really the 1st coordinator he hired trying to fix this issue, of which he's obviously aware of now (or was pointed out to him to become aware of).

But probably too little too late for a 72 year old coach. If I as Jody I'd over Pete an advisory role after this season to keep him in the building. Because he's tremendously gifted at culture and organizational building.

hawker84

Reaction score
Not a lot of expectations going into tonight, or for the next few weeks. I've emotionally detached for the rest of the season ( a tricked I learned from being a life long mariner and cougar fan). Just want to see the rookies get some playjng time and progress. Hope to see mackintosh tonight. 🤷

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
All of the poll options are assuming they lose. I voted other because I'm trying to hold steady to my prediction of 2-2 on this 4 game gauntlet.

strohmin

Reaction score
Right. Watch Kam's highlight videos. 75% of his hits would be penalties now.

So yeah, Pete's insistence on hiring coaches and coordinators from inside his own coaching tree has been to his own demise IMO. Waldron was really the 1st coordinator he hired trying to fix this issue, of which he's obviously aware of now (or was pointed out to him to become aware of).

But probably too little too late for a 72 year old coach. If I as Jody I'd over Pete an advisory role after this season to keep him in the building. Because he's tremendously gifted at culture and organizational building.
Pete has way to big of an ego to just take an advisory role. He wants full control.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Pete has way to big of an ego to just take an advisory role. He wants full control.

You're probably right, and there would be multiple organizations that would give him another coaching job.

But at his age, he might also be open to the idea of staying in Seattle in some other capacity than HC.

Either way, if the rest of the season goes the way most of us think it's going to go? As in not well? Doesn't really matter what Pete wants, Jody's patience might have run out. Even with another couple years on his deal.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
Other

Not sure what to expect tonight at this point. I think we can beat Dallas...but have serious doubts.
Avoid .net for at least 5 days...I don't need the doom/gloom/wbc (whine/b!tch/complain)
I'll respond to reasonable posts and avoid emotive based crap.
Ride out the rest of the year, hoping for the best but acknowledging a playoff appearance is likely the best to hope for considering our record against top tier teams.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
It will probably take 27+ points to win the way their offense and our defense has played lately.

DK, Lockett, JSN are quality receivers. Cut them loose, and throw the damn ball downfield. If we get smoked, at least we went down swinging. I can live with that.

After that miserable offense by the Bears on MNF, I feel the same way about the upcoming Lions game.

I have seatbelt buckled for a rough ride with both my teams.

strohmin

Reaction score
You're probably right, and there would be multiple organizations that would give him another coaching job.

But at his age, he might also be open to the idea of staying in Seattle in some other capacity than HC.

Either way, if the rest of the season goes the way most of us think it's going to go? As in not well? Doesn't really matter what Pete wants, Jody's patience might have run out. Even with another couple years on his deal.
Ya I would figure Pete will coach as long as he is given the oppurtunity and full control otherwise I see him retiring.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
I think the question is, will Dallas drop 50 on us?

Some of the most embarrassing losses of PC’s NFL career this season.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Just need to cut all ties with Carroll at this point.

No advisory role, nothing!

I don’t see Mike Holmgren being an advisor at the VMAC?

The team needs to turn the pages on Carroll, honestly.

Xs and Os are just as important to building a great team as having a great culture is but you need both and Carroll is limited to just culture…and even then when the losses mount up, the culture eventually breaks down….

But since Carroll’s contract doesn’t expire until 2025, I believe, at least, I can see Jody Allen keeping Carroll for the remainder of his contract and calling this season a “learning and repairing” season….smh

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I think the question is, will Dallas drop 50 on us?

Some of the most embarrassing losses of PC’s NFL career this season.
I said 26-29 points for the Cowboys but man if they drop 50 plus on Seattle, that should mean jettisoning Carroll, the next day, but we all that wouldn’t happen!!!

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I'm going to be calm and speak the truth.

It is what it is. I've already thrown in the towel for this season.

HawkFreak

Reaction score
I want to say I expect it and so I'll be chill and be ho-hum and not care because I know it's coming - because that's the mature sensible thing to do right?

My guess it that I won't be able to do the mature sensible thing.

At kick-off something in me will shift - I'll suddenly think there might be a chance - and that somehow the heavy underdog Seahawks will somehow pull it out - I'll get excited and think that even more when they score points or get a stop of 3rd down - and then I'll be pissed when things start to go sideways - I'll wonder why they just can't get it together and play up tot their talent level - I'll somehow think that they'll go on a TD spree - I'll try to figure out how many more possessions they might get to see if they can get close enough to attempt a successful onside kick to win it on a last second miracle drive.

Then after they lose - I'll wonder why they can't have a franchise QB - why they can't get dynamic and creative coaches, and head over to .NET to commiserate, vent, and wonder why I can't just expect it and be chill.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score

Great post. It's why i've been saying for years that Pete needs optimal talent all around in order to advance in the post season, because he sure as hell isn't going to outcoach anybody.

As for the game, expect a loss but wouldn't be surprised either way. Seattle could roll or get thumped and I wouldn't be shocked at either.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Great post. It's why i've been saying for years that Pete needs optimal talent all around in order to advance in the post season, because he sure as hell isn't going to outcoach anybody.

As for the game, expect a loss but wouldn't be surprised either way. Seattle could roll or get thumped and I wouldn't be shocked at either.

I don't see any scenario where the Hawks roll the Cowboys tonight.

If they win, it'll be finally not making 10 stupid penalties a game, not turning the ball over and finding a way to control the clock. All things they haven't been able to put together all year, so I'm not holding my breath.

I see a game where we might keep it close for a half, maybe down a TD. Then like most games against superior opponents, Dallas blows our doors off in the 2nd half cause our defense is gassed from being on the field too long.