Poll: Will the offense slide?

Do you think the Seahawks offense will take a step back in 2016?

• Yes

Votes: 13 8.6%
  • No

Votes: 129 85.4%
  • Undecided

Votes: 9 6.0%

• Total voters

two dog

Reaction score
Not a step back but they will of necessity have to change up some from
the quick, quick passing game they used effectively the second half of the
season.
Opposing coaches are staying up nights figuring out how to stop it.

I think C. J. Prosise figures big in the 'Hawks offense and will give some
nice new looks. Vannett too.

As long as Pete and JS are around, "win forever" is more than just a slogan.

Anthony!

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2eb9y26s said:
Laloosh":2eb9y26s said:
I was listening to NFL Now and Nate Burleson (think it was Nate) listed Seattle as one of three "top" offenses that will take a step back in 2016.

Do you agree?

Personally, I think the offense has more potential than it ever has during Pete's tenure. Wilson, Rawls, Prosise, Baldwin, Lockett, Richardson, Graham (maybe)...

C'mon, man!
Haters gonna hate. Seriously this is Wilson's 5th year and that is the year a good quarterback either gets it or not. If Andy Dalton can do it, and Cam can be dangerous and require respect regardless of his mental softness. I'm sure Russ is ready to show his real level.

In otherwords come out pass heavy and score fast like the Montana 49ers. Give Russell the keys to crush them. Then just run everyone into the ground while we are two scores up lIke Dallas under Jimmy Johnson.

I agree on the approach not sure PC and Bevel will let it though.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
My only real concern is that we're enticed into going to the passing game too much. Playoff football has a lot of variables in tighter games. One of those variables is the weather. If you have a Tom Brady you kind of play by a different set of rules..mostly because he's that good aside from the multiple "gates" that they've been a part of. I can't stand them or Brady, but it is what it is. Outside of that and other aberrations of pass heavy teams winning it all, if you're going to be good at playing tough, smart football in January you need to be well practiced at it. You don't just all of the sudden turn it on.

As for the OL issue, another slow start could hold us back, as we've seen. Our OC in high school was an OL that spent time with the Raiders. We got off to a slow start one year and we got a good speech about "continuity" and what we were going to change...in that we were going to set our starters and jell instead of more constant rotational mess. That said, I would hope that the Hawks coaching staff has learned a lesson last year. We didn't know who the starters were one week before the season started and it showed. The starting 5 OL hadn't played with each other, weren't used to each other, and from game one teams ran stunt after stunt after stunt and lit us up. There was no continuity from player to player what so ever. Almost like they were complete strangers.

I understand the whole idea about competition, but I would hope that we pull the trigger on a set starting 5 at least 2-3 weeks before the season this time.

I don't really see a step back though. I don't expect us to go to the pass too much and I don't expect that we don't learn lessons.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think with all the new pieces it will appear to be a step back, we will look like a mess initially till game speed adjustments made by players happen, timing, speed all that. Everyone will be beating up on the offense from the Mediots because of not having Lynch and the new O line, improvement will be slow up till about game 4 and then we will see it grow pretty steady I am thinking. The numbers will appear a step back until then and may not catch up by the end of the year.

That's fine if the defense is back to it's intimidating and force of turnovers we seen before, next season we will be a much bigger offensive force.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
two dog":1jmkvw1k said:
Not a step back but they will of necessity have to change up some from
the quick, quick passing game they used effectively the second half of the
season.
Opposing coaches are staying up nights figuring out how to stop it.

I think C. J. Prosise figures big in the 'Hawks offense and will give some
nice new looks. Vannett too.

As long as Pete and JS are around, "win forever" is more than just a slogan.
As long as they are willing to adapt to the talent available like I believe tthey are unlike many on this board I'm in total agreement. Just look at that draft and tell me we are going to focus the offense around Rawls like Lynch. I have bridge for sale really cheap......Procise should be your first clue and your second should be the fact they drafted actual offensive linemen.

NYCoug

Reaction score
In my opinion, initially, yes. There's a slight chance, if Britt wins the job at center, that we could see 5 guys starting at new positions along the offensive line. You're absolutely dreaming and have never paid attention to an actual season of NFL fooball if you think that that won't lead to a slow start. Some of you folks know me here, and know that I don't normally make statements like that (on this board at least, because I definitely use them in real life), but I mean it from the heart on this one. You're out of your mind if you think that it won't take some more time for the 2016 offense to get rolling...

But here's the thing, you absolutely know that Cable will say that this is his greatest OLine of all-time, just like he did last year. And you best believe that they are going to be utterly atrocious for a good portion of the season. And you best believe that Bevell will try and shove a square peg into a round hole for a good portion of the season, too. Bubble screens for -2 to Prosise all day to start the season!

But damn man, aftter Russell gets sacked 123478347 times in the first half of the season, and once people are scoffing at the Seahawks demise both nationally and regionally (most loudly by some of their biggest diehards), you just know that this offense is going to absolutely tear it up for the second half of the season and just put everyone to shame! The rest of the NFL and it's awful media and general fan base, have no clue what this Seahawks offense is capable of, and once the continuity is formed, how dominant this unit is going to be.

We all know, and that's why I won't bore you all with anymore. At some point this season, this offense is going to be a buzzsaw and take this team all the way, but with Rawls and Graham possibly staring on the PUP, and with a potentially totally new OLine (and don't mention Gilliam being a starter already, I've thought of that, but moving to LT is a totally new beast), it's about 99.999999999% assured of being a work in progress throughout. This year at least. And let's not even mention, the loss of the Beast...

The foundation is laid for dominance in the future though! Who knows, maybe 5 years from now we'll be talking about the Seahawks prolific offense and all of its capabilities. Maybe in 5 years, LB will be the new OL. The "moneyball position", if you will. Who really knows? No one can say for sure, no matter how hard they try to tell you they can. Instead of trying to accurately predict everything before it happens, we're better off (for our happiness' sake), if we just sit back and enjoy the ride.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
NYCoug":19msjjgm said:
In my opinion, initially, yes. There's a slight chance, if Britt wins the job at center, that we could see 5 guys starting at new positions along the offensive line. You're absolutely dreaming and have never paid attention to an actual season of NFL fooball if you think that that won't lead to a slow start. Some of you folks know me here, and know that I don't normally make statements like that (on this board at least, because I definitely use them in real life), but I mean it from the heart on this one. You're out of your mind if you think that it won't take some more time for the 2016 offense to get rolling...

But here's the thing, you absolutely know that Cable will say that this is his greatest OLine of all-time, just like he did last year. And you best believe that they are going to be utterly atrocious for a good portion of the season. And you best believe that Bevell will try and shove a square peg into a round hole for a good portion of the season, too. Bubble screens for -2 to Prosise all day to start the season!

But damn man, aftter Russell gets sacked 123478347 times in the first half of the season, and once people are scoffing at the Seahawks demise both nationally and regionally (most loudly by some of their biggest diehards), you just know that this offense is going to absolutely tear it up for the second half of the season and just put everyone to shame! The rest of the NFL and it's awful media and general fan base, have no clue what this Seahawks offense is capable of, and once the continuity is formed, how dominant this unit is going to be.

We all know, and that's why I won't bore you all with anymore. At some point this season, this offense is going to be a buzzsaw and take this team all the way, but with Rawls and Graham possibly staring on the PUP, and with a potentially totally new OLine (and don't mention Gilliam being a starter already, I've thought of that, but moving to LT is a totally new beast), it's about 99.999999999% assured of being a work in progress throughout. This year at least. And let's not even mention, the loss of the Beast...

The foundation is laid for dominance in the future though! Who knows, maybe 5 years from now we'll be talking about the Seahawks prolific offense and all of its capabilities. Maybe in 5 years, LB will be the new OL. The "moneyball position", if you will. Who really knows? No one can say for sure, no matter how hard they try to tell you they can. Instead of trying to accurately predict everything before it happens, we're better off (for our happiness' sake), if we just sit back and enjoy the ride.
You get what is happening. Let's just say the club is small for now and not filled with the popular people. Glad to see you join though. Fact is we are going to be fighting Arizona every step of the wsy and need at least 12 wins not to be in wildcard hell like last year.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
This year really is exciting to think about. So much possibility and new ground to cover.

I don't expect our offense to look like the 2nd half of last year because opponents will be expecting more of that and will game plan for it but I do think we will see flahes of it and I suspect our running game will feed off of it and possibly excell because of it.

How Wilson does to start games off will be huge. He seems to struggle until the flow gets going and that could cause us to lean heavily on our running game.

How will the O-line do? Are we going to speed up the passing attack to help them?

Alot of questions with more potential than I can ever remember.

Back in 05 with Alexander, D-jack, Engram and Jurivicious Matt finally had the weapons and the O-line. Our defense was still middle of the road but much improved in run defense with Tubbs finally having a healthy year (his only one unfortunately) we had the tools to be great and we should have won the super bowl that year.

This offense looks similar with the O-line being the exception but the defense more than makes up for it.

I'm thouroughly excited for this next season. Possibly as much as 05 and 13. This could be the best team we have ever fielded.

kearly

Reaction score
Seattle's success late last year was exaggerated by facing opponents that prepared for an inline blocking, pound with Marshawn Lynch game plan only to be upstaged by a spread offense spearheaded by the explosiveness of Thomas Rawls and Christine Michael (Seattle's new additions at RB are explosive guys too).

Opponents will re-calibrate their game plans for the new Seahawks offense this year and so that will be one advantage Seattle enjoyed in 2015 that will be lost in 2016.

But otherwise, you have a maturing WR group, an OL group with more schematic support that is arguably better put together, an actual blocking tight end, and a QB who led the NFL in passer rating despite being only mid-way through his development. If Rawls can stay healthy, or if the other RBs can pick up the slack, I would expect Seattle's offense to rival Pittsburgh and New England.

Looking at how the offense came around midway last year, there's good reason to hope that 2015 to 2016 could be to our offense what 2011 to 2012 was for our defense.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Russell will slide to avoid contact. That is good for his preservation.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
This is the year where the media will start saying that Russell Wilson has too many weapons.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I like the continuity at receiver and variety at tight end. Russell should also be expected to make a jump in Year 5, as many franchise QBs tend to do -- Dalton and Newton being the most recent examples. Hopefully, this is enough to make up for some pretty big question marks elsewhere on the offense.

The RB room is really exciting but entirely unproven. Can Rawls become a complete player? Can he stay healthy? Will running well, without being dynamic in the passing game, be enough to justify RB1 status? Is a dooming rep split between him and Procise inevitable for that reason? Are any of these guys more than JAG. All to be seen.

Offensive Line. Y'all know how I feel about losing Okung. 5 spots, 5 new starters. When in the history of the NFL has that worked right away? Right now, my biggest concern is that Tom Cable seems entirely serious about making Justin Britt his starting center. Patrick Lewis is apparently again getting the short shrift in practice time and getting no reps with the 1s at OTAs. Maybe it all works out, but we're venturing on the definition of insanity here ("making the same mistake over and over and expecting a different result").

Hawks46

Reaction score
ctrcat":thocgddn said:
^ I think the Hawks have many reasons to be optimistic about the schedule, but off the bat regarding the OL, the Dolphins, Rams, and Jets have good DLs on paper.

This is a good point. For some reason, I thought our first Rams game was around mid season. Then after your post I remembered that we're opening up the coliseum with them.

Hawks46

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2dv7u2qf said:
My only real concern is that we're enticed into going to the passing game too much. Playoff football has a lot of variables in tighter games. One of those variables is the weather. If you have a Tom Brady you kind of play by a different set of rules..mostly because he's that good aside from the multiple "gates" that they've been a part of. I can't stand them or Brady, but it is what it is. Outside of that and other aberrations of pass heavy teams winning it all, if you're going to be good at playing tough, smart football in January you need to be well practiced at it. You don't just all of the sudden turn it on.

As for the OL issue, another slow start could hold us back, as we've seen. Our OC in high school was an OL that spent time with the Raiders. We got off to a slow start one year and we got a good speech about "continuity" and what we were going to change...in that we were going to set our starters and jell instead of more constant rotational mess. That said, I would hope that the Hawks coaching staff has learned a lesson last year. We didn't know who the starters were one week before the season started and it showed. The starting 5 OL hadn't played with each other, weren't used to each other, and from game one teams ran stunt after stunt after stunt and lit us up. There was no continuity from player to player what so ever. Almost like they were complete strangers.

I understand the whole idea about competition, but I would hope that we pull the trigger on a set starting 5 at least 2-3 weeks before the season this time.

I don't really see a step back though. I don't expect us to go to the pass too much and I don't expect that we don't learn lessons.

The interesting thing about the Patriots is that they've gotten it done so many different ways. They absolutely destroyed the Colts, and went run heavy to do it. They also employ mostly a short passing game, which isn't as adversely effected by poor weather.

I see some similarities to them for us next year. We should be able to have a dominating run game (we always have with Cable) yet if we spread the field, we saw what happened last year. Touching on what Kearly said, we might not take teams by surprised, but it's still very difficult to prepare for a team with polar opposite game plans. With that kind of diversity on offense, we can exploit match up deficiencies with particular teams. That is, if we don't try to jam one game plan down every team's throat.

chris98251

Reaction score
You have to remember the position groups at this time is to learn the offense and get familiar with things, very few of the guys getting reps are going to be there come putting the pads on and making it real. Britt is in the Center position to figure stuff out and learn to snap the ball right now with guys in front of him and distracting him.

monkey

Reaction score
I wouldn't normally say something this optimistic but, I'm absolutely convinced it will happen, (barring injuries of course).
I truly believe that this season will prove to be the teams all time best single season offensively.
Russell Wilson will win the MVP award, and Super Bowl MVP as well.
This will be the offense that 30 years from now, we Seahawks fans will point to as our all time greatest, the high watermark for our team.
I firmly believe that.

NINEster

Reaction score
A lot will be learned the first three weeks:

Week 1- Mario Williams/Suh
Week 2- Robert Quinn/Donald
Week 3 - DeForest Buckner/Armstead